homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Motoring Git of the Year Award 2015 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Motoring Git of the Year Award 2015
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of local contenders for this. Do I nominate the Mini who shot through two red lights in succession - what did he think they were, early Christmas decorations? Should it be the driver that insisted on doing 18 mph on a deserted 40 mph road? Or the SUV that kindly parked on no less than 4 bays simultaneously in the supermarket car park last Saturday morning? Or the twat that overtook me in another supermarket car park, shooting across a zebra crossing just as a family were about to step onto it? Are your groceries really that urgent?

Perhaps the driving instructor who was smoking a cigarette, with one hand on the wheel, arm out of the window, mounting the pavement as he turned a corner on his way to pick up a pupil for a lesson? The git who decided to overtake in the face of oncoming traffic on a high-speed road then chickened out at the last moment before he crashed into me? Or the car driver texting at the wheel? It doesn't matter if you're going at 20 mph - don't do this!!

FFS you can't afford to get complacent if driving a vehicle, ever. People like you should be made to sit your tests again. The entire national debt could probably be paid off in a matter of weeks with the money raised.

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good rant!

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sunday drivers who do a stately 15mph on the potholed lanes around here that pass for roads, and who drive in the middle of the road, the better to admire the view. And I particularly appreciate the way they never indicate, and where there is a junction with space for two cars abreast they put themselves in the middle of it before consulting a map, because its a nice day to drive out in the country, isn't it?

Of course its Sunday, so no one can possibly have to be anywhere at a specific time.

And would someone please explain to townees that in the countryside we dip our lights when facing oncoming traffic after dark, and when there is another car in front: I prefer not to be half-blinded, thanks very much.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, today's fuckwittery on the A1(M) just south of Scotch Corner involved me pulling out to overtake an empty low-loader doing about 55mph. I was doing 70mph, I checked my mirrors, signalled, checked my mirrors again and executed my manoeuvre.

Cockwomble in the the bright red 4WD doing 90mph decides that his right to drive through the back of me and onward to wherever was so damn important trumps doing the national speed limit or acknowledging that he's sharing the road with several hundred other vehicles, all going somewhere equally important.

I pull in once past the low loader, and aforementioned cockwomble (who by now is gesturing wildly at me) finally remembers to take his foot off the accelerator, but unfortunately only so that he can pull level with me and treat me to yet more indecipherable sign-language. His car is so massive compared to mine (I'm in a Skoda Fabia) that I can't see all of him, only the very bottom of his passenger side window.

I ignore him, because, frankly, fuck him. Life's too short to get involved with the Ronnie Pickerings of this world. While I briefly fantasise that such people die of an embolism at the wheel, I'd rather they were humiliated in a court of law.

He eventually sails off into the distance, attempting to scatter other drivers before his great red throbbing cock-substitute, and I carry on singing along to Show of Hands. Result.

[ 17. October 2015, 20:36: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The people who regularly annoy me are those who only drive at 40. they drive at 40 in a 60 limit, and they carry on driving at 40 in a 30 limit.

I have to assume that they are not taking any notice of anything else, if they are incapable of seeing the speed signs.

Most odd experience was the Lexus driver who was doing 35-40 in a 60 limit road. I passed him (still not exceeding 60). I continued at the limit, inly to find that he was gaining on me, and passed me (safely, I should say), but doing over the limit. I have still to understand what his thought process was.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My arsehole is rather mild compared to some of these. I'm driving along, at roughly the 45 mph speed limit, and notice, far in the distance, the nose of some big old American car (of the type driven by big old Americans - probably a Buick or something) poking out of a side street. There's no other traffic around, so he's quite easy to notice.

And he sits there, and waits. And waits. And waits until I'm almost on top of him, and then gently eases his way out into the road in front of me, and wallows around at walking pace whilst he works out how to turn his indicators off or deal with the shock of having located the gas pedal or something, thus forcing me to brake from 45 mph to just about nothing.

Satisfied, he makes his merry way off to wherever he's going.

Really? You had to pull out right in front of me? You've been fannying about doing nothing at the junction for a minute already - you couldn't wait another ten seconds for me to pass?

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Most odd experience was the Lexus driver who was doing 35-40 in a 60 limit road. I passed him (still not exceeding 60). I continued at the limit, inly to find that he was gaining on me, and passed me (safely, I should say), but doing over the limit. I have still to understand what his thought process was.

He thought the limit was 30. When you passed him, he guessed it wasn't.

[ 17. October 2015, 22:03: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leorning Cniht-- see also, the asshole who lingers in the left lane of a passing area until the merge point, upon which he floors the accelerator and jams himself into a one lane space.

And the douche who slows down at a light and leaves a three car space between himself and the right turn lane you need to use that is right directly in front of him.

[ 17. October 2015, 22:24: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My prayer, for douchebag drivers, idiot cyclists, and noisy motorcyclists: "May you die in a horrible crash in such a manner that your organs can be transplanted into nicer people than you."

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chill chill chill.
The anus-penis-douche who killed 3 kids and seriously injured the flag person in a construction zone was convicted this week. Lifetime driving ban. 10 years of prison. Vehicle confiscated and sold. It is not enough. 3 families will live with this forever. Safety first please please please. Get there without risk, without anger. Chill baby. Don't be a statistic.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The people who regularly annoy me are those who only drive at 40. they drive at 40 in a 60 limit, and they carry on driving at 40 in a 30 limit.

I have to assume that they are not taking any notice of anything else, if they are incapable of seeing the speed signs.

Oh yes - thanks for the reminder, I had one of those last weekend. We passed numerous signs saying "50" but the driver was still doing 40 and then slowed down when there were bends until we reached a 30 mph village when he resumed doing 40. (Why??) Then we all got stuck behind a tractor. Luckily I was able to turn off down a side road at this point and enjoy seeing the convoy proceeding onwards at a stately pace. They should be arriving at their destination any time now.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

He thought the limit was 30. When you passed him, he guessed it wasn't.
Maybe - and that would be reasonable (although my car is not one you would normally consider as defining the speed limit). But why did he then have to exceed the limit to pass me?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Chill chill chill.....Safety first please please please. Get there without risk, without anger. Chill baby. Don't be a statistic.

'better to be five minutes late in this world than five minutes early in the next '

--told to me by a late, loved neighbour. A carpenter and undertaker by trade , probably not so oddly enough.

[ 18. October 2015, 09:06: Message edited by: rolyn ]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I am currently training for the advanced driving test. One of the things I learn is about when it is safe to drive faster, and when it is safe to drive slower.

Always within the speed limit, of course. But "failing to make adequate progress" is a fail. As is "being a total dickhead".

I would recommend it to UK drivers. It is not for the certification as much as to help you drive better and safer. I may well drive like a douche at times, although less so, and (crucially) I am less liable to do so where others are at risk.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

- Posted      Profile for Touchstone   Email Touchstone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The backwards-baseball-capped twat who overtook me at ~50 mph in a 30 zone last week, realised he was passing a speed camera, slowed down to 20 in a squeal of rubber and carved me up forcing me to brake hard, then gives me the bird when I flash my lights because it's obviously all my fault...

--------------------
Jez we did hand the next election to the Tories on a plate!

Posts: 163 | From: Somewhere west of Bristol | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:
The backwards-baseball-capped twat who overtook me at ~50 mph in a 30 zone last week, realised he was passing a speed camera, slowed down to 20 in a squeal of rubber and carved me up forcing me to brake hard, then gives me the bird when I flash my lights because it's obviously all my fault...

The baseball cap worn backwards is a clue but I bet this guy was hunched forwards over the wheel. It's a more reliable tell for aggressive, dangerous driving than age or driver or the kind of car.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

- Posted      Profile for Touchstone   Email Touchstone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The baseball cap was the only detail I saw (other than the raised digit, obviously.) He could have been 60 years old...but I doubt it.

--------------------
Jez we did hand the next election to the Tories on a plate!

Posts: 163 | From: Somewhere west of Bristol | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

<sweeping statement alert>

Young males in small matchbox like cars, usually black, with an exhaust-pipe the diameter of a large cola bottle are a liability to themselves. And at times fatal to those traveling in the opposite direction when they decide to overtake on a blind bend.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
Chill chill chill.....Safety first please please please. Get there without risk, without anger. Chill baby. Don't be a statistic.

'better to be five minutes late in this world than five minutes early in the next '

--told to me by a late, loved neighbour. A carpenter and undertaker by trade , probably not so oddly enough.

I'll third this point of view. When it comes to people tooling around in deadly machines, I'll take the people who drive 40 at all times, or wait at the intersection till you're almost there, or dwaddle through the changing light so you get caught on red ( all things that infuriate Hubs) over the reckless, aggressive speeder any day.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ones who drive at 40 regardless are particularly irritating when you know that the only stretch of road where it is possible to overtake them safely is just beyond the village, and you won't be able to use it because you have been observing the 30 mph limit.

The overtaking after being overtaken thing I have met a lot, on motorways, and I have always assumed it was a man/woman thing. Especially when, after overtaking, the (can't think of suitable epithet) slows down to the previous sub-limit speed, but in the middle lane, and so close that I can't get by again.

Urfshyne
Shipmate
# 17834

- Posted      Profile for Urfshyne   Email Urfshyne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My problem seems to be the driver who gets to a roundabout ahead of me, has priority over me, but just sits there. If I pull out and he does the same simultaneously, then I would legally be to blame if we collide.

I must admit I usually take the initiative - something the other driver seems to be lacking...

Posts: 98 | From: Maidenhead - lost | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
...or wait at the intersection till you're almost there, or dwaddle through the changing light so you get caught on red ...

I was trying to figure out how to add those folk to my list without sounding insane.

Last week I posted a meme about people who lay on the gas to overtake you and then slow down to 10 mph below the speed limit once they are in front of you. The Neez ( collective term for the nieces) piled on to agree.

How about the person on a two lane road who tries to merge into the one- car space between you and the person in front of you when there is nobody behind you and nobody in front of the front car? And who will pace you for five attempting to get in that space?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<sweeping statement alert>

Young males in small matchbox like cars, usually black, with an exhaust-pipe the diameter of a large cola bottle are a liability to themselves. And at times fatal to those traveling in the opposite direction when they decide to overtake on a blind bend.

Oh yes. Those for whom cars are penis size inadequacy-social skills compensation devices. A friend on a bicycle had one of these passing speeders do this such that he rear ended the car a few years back. The authorities found the driver responsible because the reason for applying the binders wasn't within reasonable expectation.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Last week I posted a meme about people who lay on the gas to overtake you and then slow down to 10 mph below the speed limit once they are in front of you.

Extra points for these if they let guys pass, but if a woman tries to pass then whenever there is a window, they carefully speed up just enough that she can't.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
When it comes to people tooling around in deadly machines, I'll take the people who drive 40 at all times, <snip>... over the reckless, aggressive speeder any day.

Oh yes! The diligent 40to45-er whose road speed doesn't alter from motorway to A-road to speed zones. They are a real hoot.
Not sure I'd choose one of them over the Black Death on your side of the road, on a bend, when your whole 'kin life flashes before you in a nanosecond.

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My car, Duncan, is old and plodding. O - 60mph in half an hour sort of thing but he gets there. I try to be considerate to other drivers and not always easy - do I pull out on to the fast road after work when I know a driver will have to slow - and I have a tail of people behind me who would make the gap? I never know.

I have discovered the joy of giving plonkers the finger and I have to say, it feels really good. Really really good. I love the drivers who cut me up only to get caught behind the tractor that I was dwaddling behind. That happens a lot. I tend to give the tractor a lot of space behind. They get the finger, the drivers that cut me up. Also - there are quite a few roads round here which are part dual carriage way and part single. So what do these drivers do - 40mph on the single - not a hope in hell of overtaking and then get to the dual carriage way and their foot goes down. Duncan and I haven't got a hope in hell of getting past. But then we get back to the single carriage way and yes they drop the speed. They get the finger as well.

I was undertaken recently. That was not pleasant. Pootling on the motorway, just struggling at 60mph so sticking in the slow lane. And as I come to a junction, there are cars wanting to join the motorway. I do the pull into the middle lane thing to allow them to join the motorway. And I wonder where white car has gone as I'm keen to pull back onto slow lane. Sure enough, white car is undertaking me. I hadn't realised quite how scary that was so they got the finger.

I'm sure all those who get the finger from me are quaking in their boots.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe - and that would be reasonable (although my car is not one you would normally consider as defining the speed limit). But why did he then have to exceed the limit to pass me?

'cause he's the kind of guy that always drives ten over the limit? He thought he was doing 40 in a 30, but when you passed him, he woke up, and thought "60 limit - I could do 70".
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
with an exhaust-pipe the diameter of a large cola bottle

Known in this household as the "penis extension ring"

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Last week I posted a meme about people who lay on the gas to overtake you and then slow down to 10 mph below the speed limit once they are in front of you.

Extra points for these if they let guys pass, but if a woman tries to pass then whenever there is a window, they carefully speed up just enough that she can't.
Another "too crazy" moment I deleted: I swear to God, when I am at a 4 way stop, I sense men of a certain age are looking over at me and opting to ignore the right of way rules when they see a woman at the wheel.

As in, "Your turn, your turn, yo-- oh, you? Fuck you."

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The worst one, really sticks in my mind, was utterly deliberate. At night. A colleague and I had been to see "Waiting for Godot" at Canterbury, and I was driving us back to Dover down the A2. Largely straightish, thanks to the Romans, but then in the throes of being turned into a dual carriageway. Part the way along, this dualling ended, with a T junction with a small side road and a right turn before turning left into the 2-lane bit. I wasn't sure exactly where this bit was, and the road wasn't lit. I was driving my Mum's A40 with automatic gear changes which I wasn't wholly familiar with, but I did know that there was a process for doing a forced change by sticking the accelerator down hard.

Anyway, we are pootling along the dual bit when we came up behind a smaller car going quite slowly, so I pulled out to overtake. The car, with one male in it, sped up. I sped up as well. so did he. Not being in the testosterone game mindset, I slowed down to pull in again and put up with his speed. To my surprise, he slowed as well, so I couldn't get back into the inner lane. I tried to overtake again. He sped up. I tried to slow again, so did he. I don't remember how many cycles we went through. I was very aware of the approaching turning, and afraid of hitting it at some speed. We didn't think stopping was an option. Being stationary with someone of his attitude was scarey. Having a car come up behind was worse.

My colleague was able to inform me that he had a manual gear change. I slowed down until she reported that he was in 2nd, and I used the kick down technique to accelerate away from him, and get well ahead. He didn't chase us, thank goodness. And we had enough room before the junction.

I had a colleague recently suffer a similar thing while her hisband was driving them towards London on the A2, with other traffic. They got on the phone to the police ... can't remember the end of the story, but mobile phones are a great help, which we could have done with.

[ 18. October 2015, 20:34: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:

I was undertaken recently. That was not pleasant. Pootling on the motorway, just struggling at 60mph so sticking in the slow lane. And as I come to a junction, there are cars wanting to join the motorway. I do the pull into the middle lane thing to allow them to join the motorway. And I wonder where white car has gone as I'm keen to pull back onto slow lane. Sure enough, white car is undertaking me. I hadn't realised quite how scary that was so they got the finger.

Well, that's better than the alternative mentality in such circumstances, which seems to be: Oh dear, undertaking is against the highway code - I'll just sit in the other guy's left-hand blind spot and incidentally prevent him from moving back over, that's a much safer option.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

Well, that's better than the alternative mentality in such circumstances, which seems to be: Oh dear, undertaking is against the highway code - I'll just sit in the other guy's left-hand blind spot and incidentally prevent him from moving back over, that's a much safer option.
The power of the finger is so important! It's so tempting to do just what you said and be an ass back "I'm in the right and I let him out and he's not being sensible and disrespecting the elderly Duncan". It's easy to see how roadrage really catches, I notice myself a few times getting all antsy when being cut up or someone being dangerous.

But giving someone the finger, for me, it makes me feel powerful and everything is alright again.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chill chill chill.
The anus-penis-douche who killed 3 kids and seriously injured the flag person in a construction zone was convicted this week. Lifetime driving ban. 10 years of prison. Vehicle confiscated and sold. It is not enough. 3 families will live with this forever. Safety first please please please. Get there without risk, without anger. Chill baby. Don't be a statistic.

Newspapers here often quote surviving families as saying that they have the loss of a murdered family member for life, and the prisoner received only a 30 year sentence. Judges have started saying in their reasons that there is no sentence which can take away the loss and grief of the survivors and that the sentence being imposed is not a price for the loss of a life.

Given that, what overall sentence would you have given, and why? Bear in mind the offence for which the motorist was being sentenced and the maximum fixed for that offence; also the need for the total sentence to reflect the loss of 3 lives but still not be crushing. Not an easy task.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

How far past the junction had you travelled before being undertaken?

It is possible to safely undertake on some stretches of motorway. When there are 4 lane and the plonker middle-laner is doing 65 in the 3rd lane you can have a whole lane of safety between you and the plonker. I particularly dislike the selfishness of middlelane drivers.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Confession: I have occasionally undertaken on the motorway. Always the same scenario. I'm doing 70mph in the left hand lane, with the lane clear for a considerable distance in front of me. To my right there is a line of traffic doing slightly more than 70, with right hand lane traffic light but going faster. Up ahead a lane blocker in the middle doing 65 or something. I draw up behind him at a safe distance, but can't get into the middle lane because of the queue built up behind him of people wanting to pull right to go past. After a short wait to let him do the right thing I punch the accelerator, nip past him on the inside before returning to 70. If safe to do so, I will pull into the middle lane in front of him and then pointedly set my blinkers and move left into the still clear lane (I've yet to notice anyone take that subtle hint though - nor have I noticed any decline in this driving style following the appearance a few years ago of posters on the walls of service stations about not hogging the middle lane and pulling left when the inside lane is clear).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Confession: I have occasionally undertaken on the motorway. Always the same scenario. I'm doing 70mph in the left hand lane, with the lane clear for a considerable distance in front of me. To my right there is a line of traffic doing slightly more than 70, with right hand lane traffic light but going faster. Up ahead a lane blocker in the middle doing 65 or something. I draw up behind him at a safe distance, but can't get into the middle lane because of the queue built up behind him of people wanting to pull right to go past. After a short wait to let him do the right thing I punch the accelerator, nip past him on the inside before returning to 70. If safe to do so, I will pull into the middle lane in front of him and then pointedly set my blinkers and move left into the still clear lane (I've yet to notice anyone take that subtle hint though - nor have I noticed any decline in this driving style following the appearance a few years ago of posters on the walls of service stations about not hogging the middle lane and pulling left when the inside lane is clear).

Undertaking is particularly dangerous because you are in an extended blind spot that the driver in the middle lane is not expecting (well, at least not in the UK where undertaking on the motorway is illegal). Should the driver drift from the middle to the slow lane and in the process cause an accident with you, then you will be liable.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Undertaking is particularly dangerous because you are in an extended blind spot that the driver in the middle lane is not expecting (well, at least not in the UK where undertaking on the motorway is illegal). Should the driver drift from the middle to the slow lane and in the process cause an accident with you, then you will be liable.

Although undertaking is dangerous, and the Highway Code says you should only do it in slow moving traffic, it isn't actually illegal (it was removed from the statute books with the 1972 Road Traffic Act). If done in a particularly dangerous or reckless manner then you could be done for driving with undue care and attention.

On the other hand, not returning to the left hand lane where it is reasonable to do so after overtaking carries a £100 on-the-spot fine and three penalty points, in some circumstances more.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On the other hand, not returning to the left hand lane where it is reasonable to do so after overtaking carries a £100 on-the-spot fine and three penalty points, in some circumstances more.

And I wish this was enforced more.

Equally, middlelane numpties don't use the outside lane either. It amuses me when a middlelane numpty drives up to me at about 80, when I have recourse to the middlelane doing about 70 to overtake an insider, lifts off considerably even though the outside is clear, then zooms off again when I pull back in. Sometimes I don't pull back in ASAP just to encourage the middlelaner to try other lanes just for once.

[ 19. October 2015, 08:32: Message edited by: Mr Clingford ]

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Confession: I have occasionally undertaken on the motorway.

I don't generally have a problem with undertakers - it's the people who sit in my left-hand blind spot without undertaking when I'm already doing 70 who annoy me.

Depends on the circumstances of course, but if it's possible to undertake me, that may well be a sign I'm in the wrong lane and should move left, but I can't do that if someone is welded to the spot I ought to be occupying!

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An undertaking story but not from a motorway.

We were on the A14, a dual carriageway from the M1/M6 junction to the M11 near Huntingdon and we were approaching a couple of HGV's in convoy. We were about to overtake the first when this silver Audi* cut up the inside of us, through the "gap" between us and the nearer HGV then on noticing that the further HGV was pulling out to avoid a third HGV (which we hadn't seen) slammed on the brakes to move in front of the first HGV that had just been overtaken. That HGV had to brake so hard the driver did well to maintain any kind of control. Had he failed and jacknifed, I would not be here now.

We already had a thing about Silber Deutscher AutobahnenKreuzers and this about confirmed it.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, yes, "undertaking" as a specific thing was taken out of the law - mostly because it became unworkable in heavy traffic.

However, it is still in the Highway Code, and the Highway Code can still be used as the basis of prosecution, as per para 7, section 38 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Of course in practice many people break the Highway Code all the time without consequence. And of course it is correct that middle-lane hogging is a particularly stupid way to drive, and deservedly has recently been highlighted for police attention.

But that doesn't stop undertaking being particularly dangerous. One might not get stopped by police for "undertaking" but one might for driving without due care and concern.

It is tempting to undertake stupid people who illegally hog the middle lane, but the safe way to deal with them is either to slow down, allowing that they may at any moment drift to the left lane, or if it is safe and there is space to overtake them in the normal way.

You don't get a pass to do something dangerous because someone else is doing something dangerous.

--------------------
arse

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Undertaking is particularly dangerous because you are in an extended blind spot that the driver in the middle lane is not expecting (well, at least not in the UK where undertaking on the motorway is illegal).

This is a little bit circular, though. Undertaking is illegal because it's dangerous because it's unexpected because it's illegal.

(Though I drive on motorways with sufficient frequency that AFAIC undertaking, middle lane hogging, kamikaze lane changes, people weaving all over the road because the lane markings are confusing, and boy racers driving at 100mph, are all expected behaviours...)

I thought the issue with undertaking was more that it's harder to move into a lane of faster traffic than a lane of slower traffic. If I can't move to the right, then that might slow me down a bit, but if I can't move to the left, I could miss my exit.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
This is a little bit circular, though. Undertaking is illegal because it's dangerous because it's unexpected because it's illegal.

OK, what I meant was that it is a common practice to drift back into the left lane in a motorway without considering the possibility of someone coming up the inside in the massive blind spot. The way that the law has been enforced encourages drivers to downplay the possibility of being undertaken - unlike in other jurisdictions where undertaking is a much more common manoeuvre.

quote:
(Though I drive on motorways with sufficient frequency that AFAIC undertaking, middle lane hogging, kamikaze lane changes, people weaving all over the road because the lane markings are confusing, and boy racers driving at 100mph, are all expected behaviours...)
This is true. Even the most careful driver observing perfect lane discipline will be endangered by the bad driving of these kinds of people and will have to make allowances for the stupidity of others driving at speed.

quote:
I thought the issue with undertaking was more that it's harder to move into a lane of faster traffic than a lane of slower traffic. If I can't move to the right, then that might slow me down a bit, but if I can't move to the left, I could miss my exit.
Not sure I'm following here

--------------------
arse

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Merging can be a problem. I incited some real road rage over this one time. I was doing the speed limit (75 which is not comfortable for me) in the outside, slow lane on a four lane (dual carriage) highway.

I approached a place in the highway where an entry road contained a car intent on merging. I could see he was going to arrive at the same time I was, so I sped up. It made more sense to me to speed up than slow down as he was coming from a presumably slower road than my highway. He may have expected me to move to an inside lane, but I need more time than we had to determine a lane change.

He entered the outside lane behind me, immediately went to the inside, faster lane and pulled up beside me. He was screaming with rage and doing one much better than Beenster's finger took both hands off the steering wheel and waved them beside his head while mouthing something about my big hair. At 75MPH! I thought we were all going to die that day.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
[ it is a common practice to drift back into the left lane in a motorway without considering the possibility of someone coming up the inside in the massive blind spot.

Am I the only person who checks the left lane regularly while preparing to move into that lane? If I'm passing someone, usually I'll wait until I can see them in my mirrors before moving over. If I've been in an outer lane for a while (eg: I've just passed a line of cars in the middle lane behind a hogger) I'll have a quick look over my shoulder.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
[ it is a common practice to drift back into the left lane in a motorway without considering the possibility of someone coming up the inside in the massive blind spot.

Am I the only person who checks the left lane regularly while preparing to move into that lane? If I'm passing someone, usually I'll wait until I can see them in my mirrors before moving over. If I've been in an outer lane for a while (eg: I've just passed a line of cars in the middle lane behind a hogger) I'll have a quick look over my shoulder.
Nope. While I don't drive I do know that when Mrs Sioni is in the middle lane and she looks towards me in the passenger seat, she is checking the inside lane for traffic. I like to think that other road users are therefore safe with the possible exception of cyclists riding the wrong way down the wrong side of the street.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess to regularly exceeding the speed limit when driving locally. However, if I am on a long-distance trip via the Interstate highway system, I set the cruise control to the maximum allowed speed and never exceed it.

I don't know what gets to me more: (1) the zippidy-do-dahs who go sailing past me at whatever speed they can manage, weaving in and out of lanes as their fancy takes them; or (2) the 18-wheeler trucker who, finding himself behind one of his colleagues doing about 5 mph below the limit, pulls out to overtake him -- which, of course, he can't, as his 18-wheeler is no more powerful than the 18-wheeler he's behind -- and allows traffic to pile up behind him for the 10 or so minutes it takes him to (a) realize that he can't overtake after all and pull back into the lane behind his friend; or (b) finally get up enough steam to overtake.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

I also look hard into blind spots, but most do not. The problem with undertaking is that you are assuming the driver in the middle lane is as diligently looking into his large inside blind spot as you.

That said, the most scary close shave I ever had was when overtaking as normal and very clearly colliding with someone coming in at speed from the far right lane. I'm not sure how the insurance companies and police would have sorted that out - neither of us could reasonably have looked and judged what someone was doing several lanes over.

--------------------
arse

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
mr cheesy: The problem with undertaking is that you are assuming the driver in the middle lane is as diligently looking into his large inside blind spot as you.
That's what my car has a horn for [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Depends on the circumstances of course, but if it's possible to undertake me, that may well be a sign I'm in the wrong lane and should move left

You shouldn't need a "sign" to know if you're in the wrong lane. All it takes is one very very simple question - are you overtaking another vehicle? If the answer is no, then move over to the fucking left!

I really fucking hate lane hogs. They cause congestion and delay on roads that would be moving perfectly freely if they were in the correct lane.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My real annoyances are:

1. Driving in the middle lane of a motorway or dual-carriageway near an exit slip. Someone rushes up the outside of me, then cuts across everyone to exit at the very last minute.

2. Driving in a narrow city street with cars parked both sides. Stopping to let a car come through the other way. Before you do so, the chap behind me hooting, flashing his lights and going past - only to go 10 yards before he realises why I had stopped. He tries to back up, of course by now there are other cars behind me so I can't back up ...

3. Living here in the country: driving along a narrow lane, meeting another car and being forced to back up 50 yards round a corner when the other car could have pulled into a field entrance before we met (and refuses to back up the 2 yards to get to it after they've stopped).

4. In Norfolk: sugar-beet lorries (all of them).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016