homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Motoring Git of the Year Award 2015 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Motoring Git of the Year Award 2015
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. When my car packs it in I'll get a white van of my own.

Don't forget the baseball cap worn back-to-front. It's practically a part of the uniform.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One for the elderly buggers who don't notice that the rule has been changed.
Remember we drive on the left.
Of two cars turning into a side road, the one turning left had to give way to the one on the right.
Then they changed it, several years ago, and 99% of us got used to it.
Signalling a right turn, I gave way to an approaching car turning left. He wouldn't budge. I waved him across, hooted and flashed my lights as three or more cars piled behind me. No effect.
I just had to go or we'd have been there all day.

I wish I'd stopped when we got round, and had a word with him.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. When my car packs it in I'll get a white van of my own.

Don't forget the baseball cap worn back-to-front. It's practically a part of the uniform.
Yes, I suppose I'll have to take up smoking as well.
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC story: M1 lorry shunts: Police failed to attend call for three hours

My sympathy for this guy evaporated when I read, "Footage shows Mr Stockdale [the car driver] stayed in the middle lane for some time".

He deserves a fine himself, the selfish git.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
My sympathy for this guy evaporated when I read, "Footage shows Mr Stockdale [the car driver] stayed in the middle lane for some time".

Mine too. Once I saw the footage I actually started cheering for the lorry [Big Grin]

If only it was legal to use such methods to force selfish bastards to drive in the correct lane...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lorry driver was in the wrong to scrape the car, and to pass in the right hand lane. But, two wrongs don't make a right. The driver stayed in the middle lane, going slower than a HGV, and instead of pulling into the left lane he sets his dash-cam to look backwards.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And what I could see was him flashing the lorry - front and rear. Given that he has a dashcam company, I expect he has two, one front and one rear - I can't imagine how one would be able to change it round while driving and phoning. (Or run two off the socket safely, with leads all over the place - but I expect he has an answer for that.)
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, I suppose I'll have to take up smoking as well.
And learn how to text while driving.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
And what I could see was him flashing the lorry - front and rear. Given that he has a dashcam company, I expect he has two, one front and one rear - I can't imagine how one would be able to change it round while driving and phoning. (Or run two off the socket safely, with leads all over the place - but I expect he has an answer for that.)

The BBC said that he had three.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the phone plugged in for hands-free operation.

I was Duelled (see Spielberg film) around the South Circular one night by a Carlsberg delivery HGV - no contact though - and I would have had no opportunity to phone the police (before mobiles, though, but if I had had one), or to turn off and get to an operational police station. I was having to pay too much attention to driving.

I notice that the call to the police began while the HGV was pulling in towards him, and he should have been pulling over himself. Or slowing down, since the HGV was no longer behind him.

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering how it happened that he was overtaken and side-swiped by the same truck on two separate occasions 14 minutes apart.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because he proceeded to accelerate to pass the truck, and then sit in the middle lane going slower than the truck. He deliberately chose to put himself in a position to be swiped by the truck, after the first time at least.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan:
quote:
Having said that, there is something deeply satisfying when someone does that and the slow vehicle pulls over 30 seconds later and you meet up with said eedjut stopped at the next set of traffic lights.
Hah! We were tailgated by a pillock once in a 20mph zone. Admittedly we were going slower than the limit; this was because we were following a cyclist, there was traffic coming in the other direction and *the road was too narrow to overtake the cyclist safely until it was clear*. As soon as there was a gap, the pillock zoomed past (hooting the horn and flashing the lights) and out of sight. Then we had to wait again until the road was clear before *we* could overtake.

At the next set of traffic lights we met up with The Pillock again, but we didn't start laughing until the cyclist zoomed past us to the front of the queue...

We chortled all the way to our destination.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inconvenience is one thing. Endangering others is another. Twice yesterday people backed their cars out of driveways in front of me, I on a bicycle, with two lights front and back, on the bike and on my helmet. I cannot be missed. One rolled the window and apologised. Great, cyclists always lose in these situations. I regret not kicking and dinting the one car. "Gee sorry you hit me, I couldn't stop, too bad about your damage, let's call the police and get you a ticket and penalty points"

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another nomination for "Best Motoring Git Enabler". This goes to the designers of the new bus station in Newport which has narrower bays than its predecessor (although buses have, if anything, got wider) and has traffic lights on the sole exit, an effect of which is when buses are waiting to at the lights they block the bays to incoming and outgoing buses.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cycling git of the year

I was wandering along the footpath from the shops when this idiot came barrelling towards me at some speed. I moved further left so he had at least 2 metres space. He yelled out "get out of my fucking way". Neither the space he was given, or the fact that he was acting illegally worried him at all.

I am always tempted to respond "Doesn't your Mummy let you ride on the road?" but he seemed so aggressive that I decided discretion was the better part of valour. It left me feeling shaken.

I too am a cyclist, and I admit that I have ridden this same footpath, courteously when the road was narrowed down by earthquake repairs, but there is now an adequate cycle lane available.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many of you know that I work as a Drivng Instructor so I could tell all sorts of stories about what I see in the road. My favourite recent one was at the traffic lights, an impatient twat in a BMW was behind us revving his engine. The nanosecond the lights changed he started hooting frantically. My pupil moved off smoothly and Mr BMW stalled [Snigger]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jeez, Spike, DISH! DISH!

(Great story. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Many of you know that I work as a Drivng Instructor so I could tell all sorts of stories about what I see in the road. My favourite recent one was at the traffic lights, an impatient twat in a BMW was behind us revving his engine. The nanosecond the lights changed he started hooting frantically. My pupil moved off smoothly and Mr BMW stalled [Snigger]

Do you by any chance have the experience that having a car adorned with an "L" means that some drivers just have to get past you, no matter what and no matter how fast you are going?
We drive a rather uninspiring Opel Agila. We can be breaking the speed limit on a narrow, windy road for all we care, but if there is the likes of a BMW in the vicinity it just cannot be seen to be driving behind us without staging a stunt-grade pass.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My little Red MINI drove BMW and Mercedes owners to become extremely territorial and aggressive. My "new" daily driver is an MR2 Roadster. Early indications is that this effect is still present, though greatly reduced.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A recent meme on Facebook encouraged all those who thought their jobs were pointless to remember that someone at BMW is employed to fit the indicators.

When I was a driving instructor and had an impatient driver behind I was often tempted to put pressure on the learner and see if I could get them to lose their clutch control and slide backwards towards the offending twat. But I always chickened out.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
A recent meme on Facebook encouraged all those who thought their jobs were pointless to remember that someone at BMW is employed to fit the indicators.

They fit them, but are they subsequently checked?
quote:

When I was a driving instructor and had an impatient driver behind I was often tempted to put pressure on the learner and see if I could get them to lose their clutch control and slide backwards towards the offending twat. But I always chickened out.

When he lived in west London my brother wired a push-button into the brake light circuit. Very useful in dealing with tailgaters.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The old joke - "Do you know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? With the porcupine, the pricks are on the outside..."

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I had to have a new (reconditioned) engine fitted in my second car, a Hillman Imp. I put a "Running In, Please Pass" notice in the back. And then I took it out, because I didn't want the responsibility for the accidents that were going to happen to the idiots who did, and there wasn't room for "when the road is clear".

Yesterday's prize goes to the idiots who wrote "HELP" in the mist on their back window when they were only waiting for the AA or similar, thus causing a number of people to call the police. (I know they were joking because the police were very nice about letting callers know the outcome.)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Today's nomination nearly failed to be nominated because we couldn't see him! Yes, at 7:35, a black Peugeot 307 with no lights at all and in a tearing hurry. I should add that at 7:35 in South Wales it isn't even remotely light on December 17th. If it hadn't been for street lights and other motorists he wouldn't have ben able to see a thing.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me of the time many years ago when I was a passenger in a car on the Jersey Turnpike at night. The driver suddenly swore and hit the brakes. There was a car in front of us that not only had no tail lights, but didn't even have reflectors.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:

The old joke - "Do you know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? With the porcupine, the pricks are on the outside..."
In the summer of 1987 I was volunteering on a holiday scheme in South London and was delighted to discover that to my - ethnically diverse- group of 12 year olds, BMWs were universally known as Black Man's Willies. As I took them through the City of London, in that year of the yuppy, they would invariably shout out 'There goes a Black Man's Willy!' whenever they saw the blue and white badge. I was proud of them.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Last night walking back from the dentists I stopped at a pedestrian crossing, pressed the button and waited. I wasn't really concentrating much, so when the crossing started to beep I took a step towards the curb, looking right to see there was no traffic when a car from the left crossed right in front of me. I did a double take, look at the crossing where the green man was clearly showing, at the light above my head which was clearly red, then at the car that was braking hard to pull into the bus stop. He had definitely jumped the light, was probably exceeding the speed limit and thought he was a bus.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My North American friends - and they include our daughters - wonder why I like to reverse into parking spots whenever possible. I've given up trying to explain, but I do tell them how much I've enjoyed watching people backing out from opposite spots at the same time and rear-ending each other. Saw it happen again just the other day at the supermarket. The insurance claims would make interesting reading.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often look for a pull-through parking space. The rear windows on cars seem to have gotten smaller or at least have poor visibility. I hope I get one of the rear-view cameras on my next car (and hope everyone else parking near me has one too!).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
My North American friends - and they include our daughters - wonder why I like to reverse into parking spots whenever possible.

This would be mandatory if I had my way, for reasons related to the experiences related above regarding people reversing out of driveways.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always reverse into my driveway so that when I go out I can see what's coming.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
My North American friends - and they include our daughters - wonder why I like to reverse into parking spots whenever possible. I've given up trying to explain, but I do tell them how much I've enjoyed watching people backing out from opposite spots at the same time and rear-ending each other. Saw it happen again just the other day at the supermarket. The insurance claims would make interesting reading.

I sometimes wonder if there is a male/female preference here, in supermarket car parks and other shopping venues.

It is after all a lot easier to put the shopping in the boot (US: trunk) if the rear is outwards.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This reminds me of a scene in the film "Fried Green Tomatoes". Kathy Bates' character, middle aged and driving a fairly large car, is waiting for a particular parking spot at a big store. It clears; and just when she starts to turn in, a little car zooms in and takes it. As she gets upset, 2 teenage girls get out. (They'd be the mean girls' clique in a high school film.) KB's character is normally very polite and a little repressed, and is trying to figure out what to do. The girls laugh at her and say, "Face it, lady, we're younger and prettier!"

When the girls come out, KB's car rolls in and repeatedly rear-ends their car. Out her window, she says with delight, "Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance!" She drives off, and the girls freak out. Later, KB's husband (IIRC) says it was understandable to have brake problems once, but repeatedly?

[Cool]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:

In the summer of 1987 I was volunteering on a holiday scheme in South London and was delighted to discover that to my - ethnically diverse- group of 12 year olds, BMWs were universally known as Black Man's Willies. As I took them through the City of London, in that year of the yuppy, they would invariably shout out 'There goes a Black Man's Willy!' whenever they saw the blue and white badge. I was proud of them.
I thought everyone knew that they stood for Baptist Ministers Wheels.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a series of books about a country vet in Yorkshire called All Creatures Great and Small. In it an experienced vet advised a noob to always reverse in to parking spaces so that if you killed the animal you could make a clean get away.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I sometimes wonder if there is a male/female preference here, in supermarket car parks and other shopping venues.

It is after all a lot easier to put the shopping in the boot (US: trunk) if the rear is outwards.

True, but (for me anyway) it's not worth the hassle of spending 10 minutes attempting to reverse out at 1 mph in such a way that you don't collide with any parked cars, pedestrians, or those shopping trolleys and that beat-up old van that have materialized next to your parking space since you arrived at the store.
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
My North American friends - and they include our daughters - wonder why I like to reverse into parking spots whenever possible.

This would be mandatory if I had my way, for reasons related to the experiences related above regarding people reversing out of driveways.
Maybe someone from the left hand side of the pond could confirm this, but I understood it was mandatory in the States to park "trunk facing out". I have no idea why, as this seems so counter rational, but I assume these is a reason for it.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope - you can park either way here in the U.S.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

There may be state or local ordinances, but nothing national.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some states here don't issue license plates for the front of the car (i.e. only the back) and some parking facilities need to be able to see license plates, so they require front-in parking.

[ 19. December 2015, 16:32: Message edited by: W Hyatt ]

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
There may be state or local ordinances, but nothing national.

Moo

Yeah, sometimes you will see a sign requesting no back-in parking, but the fact that it needs a sign says without the sign anything goes. And come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen one of those signs with the " local ordinance" reference that comes with city placed parking signs, so that would mean the signs I have seen really were requests, from the business owner or whoever owned the lot.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

By the way, have we gone over idiots who lollygag in the passing lane until the place where the passing lane disappears and merges with the slow lane? And THEN they floor it?

Wish there would be a way to make a manslaughter charge stick if a heart attack should occur.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday, there was an idiot behind me. Bear in mind, my journey home was a complete nightmare, all of the roads completely jammed, so everyone was in total chaos.

The first time I saw him in my mirror, he was on the wrong side of the road - no idea how he had got there, but he shot into the space behind me. Then he proceeded to wait as I moved on, and then accelerate fast to cover the 2 car lengths between us. At one point, he spun his wheels to start and to stop (a moment later).

Grade 1 tosser.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are cyclists allowed in this thread? Like the one I had to avoid in heavy traffic, riding no-hands and texting.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

No, there's enough material around for Cycling Git of the Year Award 2015 to be a flourishing thread in itself.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Are cyclists allowed in this thread? Like the one I had to avoid in heavy traffic, riding no-hands and texting.

Got you beat there. We have one in Newport who rides like that on the wrong side of a one-way street. He does this as a matter of course but at least he's young and only 200 yards from the hospital so if anything happens he'll be convenient placed for patching up or organ donation.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Got you beat there. We have one in Newport who rides like that on the wrong side of a one-way street.

Everyone knows that rules are optional for cycling. Kind of like how the rules about parking don't apply to you if you put your hazard lights on and just pop in somewhere for a minute.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(rubs hands in anticipation of Ariston finding this turn of conversation. ) [Devil]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please. I may be a hardcore bike advocate (NO NEW ROADS UNTIL CARS LEARN TO OBEY STOP SIGNS!), but riding home with my boss is terrifying. Dude's like Fezziwig from Christmas Carol when he's off the bike, but get him riding in traffic and he turns into a swearing, angry, red-light-running unholy terror. The whole staff is either terrified to ride with the dude or doesn't get why we all hate riding with him—well, until they ride along. I've had to apologize to drivers he's sworn at, sprint like mad to catch up after he cuts off cars who have the right of way in intersections, wonder what the news report's going to be when "owner of prominent local bike shop (ticketed/hit/etc)"...

I figure he's so friendly normally because he doesn't have any anger left after he gets off the bike.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016