homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Motoring Git of the Year Award 2015 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Motoring Git of the Year Award 2015
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night, so clear you could see the International Space Station sliding overhead (not while driving, obvs), all the *********** twits with fog lamps on under their badly adjusted headlights.

Visual purple takes 45 minutes to recover from bleaching after light exposure. 45 minutes!

My friend is sitting there beside me where I have pulled into the passing space to allow the oncoming ******** to pass me in the rural lane, whimpering "I can't see properly..." wondering if I have had a stroke or something. And then there is another one....!

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The women weaving all over the road in front of me with two small children in her car. When she stopped for gas I followed her into the gas station, thinking she might be ill. She was so drunk she could hardly stand up when she got out of her car. I informed her I was calling the highway patrol. At which point she called me many nasty names. I felt so bad for her children. I was asked to wait around while police called her husband to come get the children. When he arrived, he was mad not at his drunk wife but at police for arresting her. That was 3 years ago and I still think of those children.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hooray! The school run is over for a fortnight!

That takes at least fifteen minutes off my four mile bus journey every morning. I won't describe all the mummies as motoring gits but the excess vehicles clogs up the roads like chip fat does to arteries.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Got you beat there. We have one in Newport who rides like that on the wrong side of a one-way street.

Everyone knows that rules are optional for cycling. Kind of like how the rules about parking don't apply to you if you put your hazard lights on and just pop in somewhere for a minute.
Well, some are. Speed limits in the UK for example do not apply (with one or two exceptions down in That London).

Nor does the drink drive limit. It's illegal to ride whilst intoxicated, but that's a subjective call rather than the strict rule of the breathalyser.

An of course some one way streets have contraflow cycle lanes (often mistaken for parking bays by fuckwits in motorised tins)

[ 21. December 2015, 08:57: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did once get some sarky comments from a couple of police officers when out on my bike. Doing a right turn just past a traffic control width restriction that included a central gap for buses. Because of oncoming traffic I needed to wait in the middle of the road, so went through the bus gate to stop where I wasn't likely to be hit by cars passing on my left. Seemed sensible to me, but apparently the police thought I looked insufficiently like a bus.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What most traffic cops know about cycling can be written on the back of a postage stamp in thick marker pen, IME.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
What most traffic cops know about cycling can be written on the back of a postage stamp in thick marker pen, IME.

I was surprised they saw you, Alan.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Last night, so clear you could see the International Space Station sliding overhead (not while driving, obvs), all the *********** twits with fog lamps on under their badly adjusted headlights.

I certainly agree about the badly-adjusted headlights, it's a particular bane of mine. However I don't agree about the use of foglights: they shouldn't ever point into oncoming drivers' line of sight and they are very useful for seeing the edge of a country lane, often very indistinct due to mud and dirt.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
An of course some one way streets have contraflow cycle lanes

But most don't, but a lot of cyclists don't seem to understand that. For that matter a lot don't seem to understand that most two way roads don't have contra flow cycle lanes either or that pavements are intended for pedestrians.

Then, of course, red traffic lights don't apply to cyclists which is why they have a right to shout and swear at pedestrians who dare to walk out in front of them in a pedestrian crossing.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

I certainly agree about the badly-adjusted headlights, it's a particular bane of mine. However I don't agree about the use of foglights: they shouldn't ever point into oncoming drivers' line of sight and they are very useful for seeing the edge of a country lane, often very indistinct due to mud and dirt.
I'm seeing them used in other places - but they do dazzle, especially when in close proximity as in lanes, and stop me seeing the edge, and more importantly, the unfilled muddy potholes. Apart from that, here is the bit in the Highway Code about their use.

quote:
Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Then, of course, red traffic lights don't apply to cyclists which is why they have a right to shout and swear at pedestrians who dare to walk out in front of them in a pedestrian crossing.

Nor do they apply to motorists making (questionable) right or (illegal) left turns across bike traffic or pedestrians, as I was once informed by an SUV driver. Why, I fucking knew better than to walk across the goddamn street as she was turning!

I mean, I did have the walk signal, she had a red light, but who cares? She had steel on her side. Steel is real.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to nominate for Motoring Git of the Year the fuckwit who backed his truck into us this morning on the way to work. He was turning in to the entrance which leads one way to the car-park, the other to a drop-off lane (where we were aiming for). For some reason he stopped, and so did we (we had no choice), but then he suddenly started reversing and had hit us before D. had the chance to reverse out of his way or even lean on the horn.

We'd been behind him for a few dozen yards along the road before he turned, so even though our car isn't very big, if he didn't see us, then he bloody well should have done.

The damage to our car was slight (but probably expensive), but what really pissed me off was that he broke the front number-plate, which is an old "cherished" Orkney number* that had been in my family for about 40 years and my dad gave me the plate as a keepsake when he gave up driving. I know we can probably get a replacement plate made, but that sort of isn't the point. [Frown]

* In Newfoundland, cars only have to have a rear number-plate; you can put what you like on the front.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:

Nor do they apply to motorists making (questionable) right or (illegal) left turns across bike traffic or pedestrians, as I was once informed by an SUV driver. Why, I fucking knew better than to walk across the goddamn street as she was turning!

I mean, I did have the walk signal, she had a red light, but who cares? She had steel on her side. Steel is real.

At least one can hear a car coming. Bikes are silent and in the dingy overcast we have in Newport they are invisible too.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
An of course some one way streets have contraflow cycle lanes

But most don't, but a lot of cyclists don't seem to understand that. For that matter a lot don't seem to understand that most two way roads don't have contra flow cycle lanes either or that pavements are intended for pedestrians.

I wonder how the proportion of drivers who break 30mph speed limits would compare with the proportion of cyclists who cycle on pavements and go through red lights?

N= quite low, obviously, but of the people I actually know, the former is around 90% and the latter about 50%

I'm not entirely convinced anyone has a group right to fingerpointing.

The problem here is, and always has been, Fundamental Attribution Error - because most people are not cyclists, they can attribute bad cyclist behaviour to the perpetrators being cyclists. Because on the other hand most people are drivers, they attribute bad driving behaviour to the perpetrators being arseholes. In both cases, that way, they can say "but not me!"

My personal motoring gits of the year awards will always be shared between the twats who overtake me with about a foot clearance, in the mistaken belief that nearly killing a cyclist is less of a fault than waiting for ten seconds, and the ones who think that when they are turning into a side road they have priority over pedestrians crossing the end of the side road and should expect said pedestrians to wait for them.

[ 22. December 2015, 08:44: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one of the problems with contraflow cycle lanes in one-way streets is that pedestrians often don't realise they are there, and step out into the road after looking the wrong way.

Even green stripes on the road don't necessarily give sufficient visual warning.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Darwinism is a bitch.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At least one can hear a car coming. Bikes are silent and in the dingy overcast we have in Newport they are invisible too.

We have an electric car. Pheasants, cyclists and pedestrians using personal stereos, beware! [Devil]

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I'm imagining a pheasant with earbuds. It's much more amusing than it should be.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
quote:

We have an electric car. Pheasants, cyclists and pedestrians using personal stereos, beware! [Devil]
Ahem - it's your heavy lump of metal. The primary onus is on you, since you're the one introducing the potentially dangerous object into the environment.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Kind of like how the rules about parking don't apply to you if you put your hazard lights on and just pop in somewhere for a minute.

I used to live in Plzeň in the Czech Republic. There was one street with two lanes in each direction and tramlines.

The tramlines ran down the inside lane (i.e. the lane nearest the kerb) - obviously, so that passengers didn't have to cross a line of traffic to get on or off the tram.

This meant that no motorist could park on the inside lane, because trams can't steer round them. So people solved this difficulty by abandoning their cars in the middle of the road, with hazard lights flashing, while they nipped to the shops.

[ 22. December 2015, 14:01: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Now I'm imagining a pheasant with earbuds. It's much more amusing than it should be.

I just hope the pheasants aren't texting.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ahem - it's your heavy lump of metal. The primary onus is on you, since you're the one introducing the potentially dangerous object into the environment.
It wasn't a serious comment. (Though my wife did hit a pheasant which opted to scuttle across the road right in front of her, to the detriment of both bird and vehicle. As far as I know it wasn't wearing earbuds.)

The car actually makes an additional whining noise at low speeds (below 25mph) to warn pedestrians of its approach as it is quite quiet. At higher speeds, the noise of the tyres is warning enough, and also of course there are rarely pedestrians likely to be in the way when driving at higher speeds anyway.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plague take the brainless swine on an electric bike hurtling along the pavement inches from the shop door I was leaving this morning.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The two women, in separate streets in South London, who pulled out from parking places as if joining the flow past them - without checking that there was a space or anyone had stopped to let them in, only to turn at right angles and then reverse to carry out three point turns through the traffic. The first one appeared to have done something similar before, as the side of the car facing the traffic was bashed in. It was the absence of the damage which made it clear that the second car was a different driver.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The car actually makes an additional whining noise at low speeds (below 25mph) to warn pedestrians of its approach as it is quite quiet.

My electric car frequently makes loud squealing noises. Plus leaves handy marks to inform others of my passing. I love instant torque.

At least, for the tiny stint between the daycare and my office when I'm not driving in Dad Mode™.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I picked up quite a collection last night cycling into the Cattle Crossing,adorned with bright lights and a decent Christmas tree's worth of reflective jackets and bands. First someone pulled out of a side road alongside me, then a bit later on, someone slowed down for a pedestrian crossing, decided no-one was looking, and accelerated over with the lights at red, then on my way home another car tried the alongside pull-out as well.

I bet they get right up their arse about cyclists jumping red lights, too... I didn't jump it, before anyone says anything.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
I picked up quite a collection last night cycling into the Cattle Crossing,adorned with bright lights and a decent Christmas tree's worth of reflective jackets and bands. First someone pulled out of a side road alongside me, then a bit later on, someone slowed down for a pedestrian crossing, decided no-one was looking, and accelerated over with the lights at red, then on my way home another car tried the alongside pull-out as well.

I bet they get right up their arse about cyclists jumping red lights, too... I didn't jump it, before anyone says anything.

AG

I see your collection and raise you the utter cunch (collective noun for a bunch of cunts) who were driving down Handsworth Hill yesterday in Sheffield. It's pissing down, it's dark, the road is like the surface of the fucking moon, and it's an 8% downhill. As you can imagine, keeping a sensible stopping distance is a really good idea, since the already poor wet traction is made worse by the fact you're bouncing off the road surface half the time. But no, these utter tits insist on squeezing past me (doesn't matter where I sit in the lane, and I'm somewhat constrained by picking a line that isn't going to throw me off into a fucking crater), they're on my shoulder, squeezing by, only to then slap their fucking anchors on because of the line of slow moving traffic I am trying to keep a sensible distance from. Only time in five years commuting I've actually been scared enough to take a different route.

Fucking cunts, the lot of them. When I'm in charge, no-one will be allowed to apply for a driving licence until they've commuted 4000 miles on a bike. Only exceptions will be people who qualify for a blue badge.

I'm serious on that last one. Really.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this chap qualifies for an award.

I have a TT. I know how it performs. If you are doing 95 in a 30 limit, there is NO WAY ON EARTH that you can control it, despite the fact that is unbelievable stability and handling. I think he should have been charged with murder, because this level of callous disregard for others is as dangerous as, say, setting fire to a building or driving down a street shooting randomly.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Banned from driving for 15 years? Or 9 years, if he is released at half the 12 year sentence. Or 3 if he serves the full term.

He should be banned for life. Or only permitted to drive one of those scooters for persons of limited mobility.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think this chap qualifies for an award.

I have a TT. I know how it performs. If you are doing 95 in a 30 limit, there is NO WAY ON EARTH that you can control it, despite the fact that is unbelievable stability and handling. I think he should have been charged with murder, because this level of callous disregard for others is as dangerous as, say, setting fire to a building or driving down a street shooting randomly.

If it's any consolation I doubt he will get an easy life in prison. It might not be child molesting but on the "inside tariff" I reckon it will be fairly high.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
He should be banned for life. Or only permitted to drive one of those scooters for persons of limited mobility.

In many jurisdictions, including the one in which I live, only the motor vehicle administration, and not the courts, can revoke a license. In neither the deaths of Tom Palermo nor Tim Holden were licenses revoked.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Banned from driving for 15 years? Or 9 years, if he is released at half the 12 year sentence. Or 3 if he serves the full term.

I think that driving bans now start on release.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which would clearly make sense. This fuckwit would be lethal on a Segway, let alone a mobility scooter.

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I did consider a Segway, but I thought a mobility scooter would be more stable.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heavier, though - and more liable to do damage.....

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hm. That doesn't stop certain pensioners from speeding through shopping centres, zooming down supermarket aisles and doing top speed on pavements, while pedestrians, children and small dogs scatter. The elderly chap I saw a couple of weeks ago on the actual road was certainly doing his best to reach 30 mph.

(Never underestimate the elderly.)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years ago a man was speeding around a local grocery store on his electric scooter and crashed into a highly-stacked display of bottled beer. You can guess the result.

Instead of reporting the mess to anyone he sped out of that aisle as quickly as possible!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a YouTube video somewhere of a mobility scooter modified with a motorcycle engine ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I did consider a Segway, but I thought a mobility scooter would be more stable.

For me, the problem with a Segway is that I'd be leaning forward the whole time. Recipe for motion sickness and/or an accident.
[Eek!]

On TV shows, I've occasionally seen Little Persons using sort of a modified Segway that allows them to ride up higher, and not have as much difficulty getting around. ("Boston Legal" fans might remember when lawyer Bethany tried one of those out.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

I'm not sure if 'git' is quite the word for what I saw yesterday ...

A driver had pulled over on the hard shoulder of the M56. Someone had obviously told him that you should try to get all the passengers out of the car, but not which door they should go out through. [Eek!]

So there was a girl of about ten or eleven trying to life a baby out of the back seat, through the driver's-side door. [Eek!]

I.e. the door that was about a foot away from 70mph traffic. [Eek!]

Now I am no longer surprised that the death toll on the motorways comes largely on the hard shoulder ...

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...aaaaaaaaand the first Motoring Git of the Year nomination for 2016 goes to the bell end who pulled out of a layby on the A40 without looking as the London coach bore down on them at 70mph. I'm not quite sure how the driver missed them and still stayed on the road, it was the wildest swerve I've ever known a bus do, but he did, or I might not be typing this...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I nominate the couple who pulled into a country lane this morning ahead of me - without indicating, naturally. The stickers on their rear window bore an address of a large town some 20 miles away.

Despite their vehicle being a four-wheel drive, they then proceeded to inch their way along the middle of the lane (which is wide enough for 2 lanes for all of its length) at a stately 15mph, coming to a complete halt where there were large puddles, and generally behaving as if their vehicle would melt if it got water on it.

If you're that concerned about standing water (none of it more than c 3 inches deep) that encroaches more than halfway across your lane, why are you driving down country lanes in one of the wettest winters on record.

In the meantime, it may be a Sunday morning but some of us are on our way to work and taking nearly15 minutes to drive barely a mile-and-a-half is OTT.

Good job I was planning a rehearsal before the service this morning - the singing may not have happened but at least I was there (just) for the start of the service [Mad]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
......at a stately 15mph, coming to a complete halt where there were large puddles, and generally behaving as if their vehicle would melt if it got water on it.

[Big Grin] Like it.

As for the car pulling out in front of a bus full of say.... 50 souls. One wonders if it wouldn't be justifiable homicide to plough straight into it as opposed to the bus driver swerving and putting passengers at risk?
Probably not, just a thought.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Ah, the old Trolley Problem, although that deals with ethics rather than law.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Not motoring - but I hope he doesn't ever take up a car. Cycling through Catford in a hoody. I thought he was signalling right at first, but he was zigzagging through the traffic queue waving both arms around higgledy piggledy, side to side, over his head, as if he were dancing.
Shipmate
# 76

This guy http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35291159 wins for today. Along with the fucking idiot CPS who charged this as a motoring offence instead of murder. How can driving deliberately at someone and killing them be merely causing death by dangerous driving? Can I get 4 years (out in 2 with good behaviour) for stabbing someone but only being charged with causing death by dangerous knife wielding?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I think I could see the reasoning in that article. It fits with the stuff in the Express about not examining the behaviour of our troops in the field.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This guy http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35291159 wins for today. Along with the fucking idiot CPS who charged this as a motoring offence instead of murder. How can driving deliberately at someone and killing them be merely causing death by dangerous driving? Can I get 4 years (out in 2 with good behaviour) for stabbing someone but only being charged with causing death by dangerous knife wielding?

IANAL. But considering the bare facts of the case, the CPS has a very good case for an appeal. The maximum tariff for Death by Dangerous Driving is 14 years. The alternative charges (given the difficulty of making a murder charge stick on a doubtful intent to kill) of manslaughter or s.18 wounding could both potentially carry a life sentence.

I can imagine the CPS lawyers looking askance at the judge as he handed down the sentence.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have said for many years that if you want to kill someone and get away with it, use a car. I have also said that killing someone while driving dangerously should be at a level with murder.

This case, as it appears, was a clear case of deliberately causing the death of someone. If he had used a gun or a knife, he would have been on trial for murder, but instead, he used a car. I don't see any real difference.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How can driving deliberately at someone and killing them be merely causing death by dangerous driving?

I suspect the key reasoning behind it is the fact that he had already been tried and found guilty of causing serious injury by dangerous driving in relation to the incident, and was awaiting sentencing when the cyclist died. The courts couldn't try him for murder at the main trial because the cyclist wasn't dead, and they couldn't do it afterwards because of double jeopardy. All they could do was change the "serious injury" part to "death".

Even so, the sentence handed down does seem unusually lenient.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016