homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Paris Attacks (Hell Version) (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Paris Attacks (Hell Version)
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Just for starters, it's going to make things all the more difficult for immigrants and asylum seekers, not to mention all the Muslims already living in the West.

And it damned well should.
If guilt-by-association is fair do's, then you must be held accountable for all the fascists whose hateful opinions you spew.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
One ball.

Hm. Ok.

I was misremembering the opening line as" Hitler has got no balls at all..."

[ 14. November 2015, 16:08: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not every reference to Hitler is Godwin relevant.
romanlion has a history of posting inflammatory remarks with no substantive support. What other reason than self-gratification do you see?
Hardly a surprise that you would come to his defence, though is it?

Wow - you sure got the wrong end of that stick, didn't you? But if it makes you feel better to screech at me, be my guest. Though I'm curious as to what within my SoF history would make you think that I would ever have anything positive to say about romanlion and his particular ideology. Are you confusing me with someone else, or just lashing out in general anguish? (Oh - and it was, I believe, Goebbels who had no balls at all, for the record.)
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is entirely possible that I am confusing either your avatar or not properly remembering a name change chain.
So I apologise.
But what did you mean re the Godwin reference?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was watching the ever-growing dogpile on romanlion (of which I approve, incidentally, having seen the Purg thread) and made what was intended as a pithy allusion to the omission thus far of reference to our old friend Godwin, thereby ironically incorporating that very reference.

It worked for me.

That aside, I accept your apology, of course. No offence was taken.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they are not cowards, maybe some other word would apply to people who shoot unarmed people who can't fight back.
That they are going to their deaths with suicide vests doesn't undo that.

But I do agree that the ones who send them are the greater cowards.
One a youth between 15 and 18 years old.

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Yes, because they don't really care about refugees and Muslims except as potential recruits. They're not going to get any recruits by directly attacking refugee and Muslim communities ... but get irrational bastards like romanlion to attack them in some twisted sense of revenge. Well, then they might get some recruits.

The new Polish government (PiS, gobshites) came out today and said that, in light of what happened in Paris, we won't take in any new refugees from other EU countries. So first Daesh wins by reducing those against them by killing them/scaring them away, then they make it, via gobshite governments (our new defense minister reckons that the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" may be legit), harder for refugees in the EU.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't accusing you of defending either romanloon or Kraptalk Carsi (kharsi), Kelly Alves.

I didn't express rmyself properly.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
(our new defense minister reckons that the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" may be legit)

Ho-lee shit.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
(our new defense minister reckons that the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" may be legit)

Ho-lee shit.
Link to Guardian article.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just for starters, it's going to make things all the more difficult for immigrants and asylum seekers, not to mention all the Muslims already living in the West.

And it damned well should.
If guilt-by-association is fair do's, then you must be held accountable for all the fascists whose hateful opinions you spew.
Don't bring your extended family to my house seeking refuge from an unidentified relative that murdered your kids and set your place on fire without a strong expectation of scrutiny, including cavity searches and constant monitoring.

I've never implied guilt by association, but it damned well should make things more difficult for "immigrants and asylum seekers".

Open borders immigration policy is only slightly less brain dead stupid than the suggestion that raising the minimum wage is part of the solution.

Suffering is inevitable, but there is still some measure of control over who will bear the brunt of it. For the foreseeable future you can forget about the US exercising that measure of control.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are an idiot. If the US, or Britain for that matter, had proper concern for secure borders, they would not fuck up other countries so blithely.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You are an idiot. If the US, or Britain for that matter, had proper concern for secure borders, they would not fuck up other countries so blithely.

A little tighter with the index finger, fucktard.

If you can't do it right just don't touch it at all.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

A little tighter with the index finger, fucktard.

If you can't do it right just don't touch it at all.

If only you would take your own advice.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I've never implied guilt by association, but it damned well should make things more difficult for "immigrants and asylum seekers".

That implies guilt by association. I'm sorry your logic skills are so shabby. May I suggest education?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That implies guilt by association. I'm sorry your logic skills are so shabby. May I suggest education?
It is a possibility. For example I might suppose that romanlion's children are as bigoted and stupid as he is.

But that isn't rational.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see everybody's favourite presidential candidate has been making measured and rational comments as usual.

Frankly, I'm waiting for him to talk about how 9/11 would have been so different if only New York bankers routinely went to work with SAMs over their shoulders.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
quote:

That implies guilt by association.
That's all you got?

You suck worse than the seahawks.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, romanlion, you're so hard. You typed that right at us! What audacity and courage.

Plus a devastating swipe at [checks internet] a professional sports team geographically proximal to mousethief!

We're all a-quiver.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

That's all you got?
Yep, all I have is logic. Beats what you've got.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
I see everybody's favourite presidential candidate has been making measured and rational comments as usual.

Frankly, I'm waiting for him to talk about how 9/11 would have been so different if only New York bankers routinely went to work with SAMs over their shoulders.

I was reading some really thoughtful and insightful article on a fairly trustworthy news outlet today, and the enlightenment was spoiled by some damn video ad featuring said butthead blathering loud stupidities. I kept turning it off, and something or other would make it spontaneously kick in again.

Metaphor for our times, I'm sure.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Open borders immigration policy is only slightly less brain dead stupid than the suggestion that raising the minimum wage is part of the solution.

If you want to see the prime example of brain dead stupid, go and look in the mirror.

A policy of providing asylum for those fleeing from assorted thugs in Syria, Iraq, Libya and a range of other locations around the world is not stupid. It's not only humanitarian and Christian, in allowing people escape the influence of radicals we might even reduce the number of people fighting for them.

And, I stand by my statements that we need to improve the fuckedup-ness of our nations where large parts of our population are thrown on the junk pile of society, without any chance offered to help them out. It's inhuman, unChristian and should not be tolerated in civilised nations - much less by nations with leaders claiming to be Christian. Ensuring that they can have jobs which pay a decent wage is one part of what we need to be doing to correct that injustice. It's something that is not only good because it treats people as human beings worthy of respect, it has the added benefit of boosting our economies by putting spending power in the hands of those most likely to spend it and the benefit of reducing the pool of people who may turn to criminal acts out of desperation or to seek an end to their injustice through violent means.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's no point in trying to reason with him, because he and Reason are strangers.

He's supposedly outraged that a group of people identifying themselves as being part of Islamic State have killed some French civilians, and has consequently suggested that a group of people identifying themselves as American go and kill some other civilians somewhere else to teach Islamic State a lesson.

What's all that about then? Especially considering that a group of people identifying themselves as either French or American have already been killing civilians in other areas of the world, not just in areas controlled by Islamic State. I mean, there was that hospital thing a few weeks back just for a start.

I would ask him for an explanation, but it'll just be something-Muslamics-something and it won't be coherent. Much like most governments' foreign policy.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
He's supposedly outraged that a group of people identifying themselves as being part of Islamic State have killed some French civilians, and has consequently suggested that a group of people identifying themselves as American go and kill some other civilians somewhere else to teach Islamic State a lesson.

He's not outraged at all. Truth is he's actually delighted that the murder of 129 of my fellow Parisians has given him an opportunity to air his bigotry. That doesn't make him a very nice person.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Victims should have had guns." Oh, sure. There could then have been a blazing Wild-West-style shoot-out in the streets of Paris with many more people dead and injured. Preferably also a few cinematic-type chases into densely populated areas and some extra hostage situations thrown in with hijacked cars speeding down the middle of streets and colliding in fireballs and crashing into buildings?

I fear for the world if that man gets elected. How likely is that currently looking?

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Trump getting elected:

Well, the Republicans have to nominate him, first, to be their candidate. If they run him, they should be ashamed of themselves. (Though I'm not sure they're capable of it. And I'm talking about the Republican leaders, not individual, everyday people.) AFAIK, the Republicans don't have any particularly good/sane/intelligent candidates. (I also worry about Ted Cruz getting in. His dad's a Dominionist, and believes Ted will be one of the end-time princes who bring back all the wealth that rightly belongs to God's people--i.e. Christians.)

My main worry about Trump's chances is that he's a major celebrity. He has a lot of face and name recognition, partly due to hosting "The Apprentice" reality show. His extreme wealth *should* work against him with the general public, given the economy, class divisions, etc., and his general attitude (IMHO) towards anyone he considers less worthy than himself--which seems to be most people.

But...we also want to believe that we can be rich. And "the Donald" is so outrageous that people want to know what he has to say. So it's easy for him to get press coverage.

And some people may want to see him debate Hillary or Sanders. He might be perceived to win the debate, simply on the basis of outrageousness and his over-sized personality.

If Trump becomes president, it will probably be a sign of one apocalypse or another. Call 1-800-BUFFY-VS. She's good at that!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's all you got?
Yep, all I have is logic. Beats what you've got.
People who use guilt by association often deny it. I suppose at some level they realize that 1), it's irrational; 2) it's the same logic used by IS.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
romanlion you cock.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
romanlion you cock.

Hey, good to see you, old man.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
romanlion you cock.

Hey, good to see you, old man.
Ditto!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e's reappearance balances out deano's.

On another note: I am so fucking tired of all the passive-aggressive crap on Facebook talking about how people don't care as much about the suicide bombings in Beirut or the attack at the Kenyan university back in April as the attacks in Paris.

Yes, US foreign policy is fucked up. Yes, racism is deeply engrained in American culture. Yes, those two things are related.

But you know what? I cared more when the US was attacked on 9/11 than I care about Paris. And if it had been LA that was hit in 2001 instead of New York and Washington, I'd have cared even more about that. If I'd lost a family member -- and I know people who did -- that would rate far beyond the deaths of strangers.

No, I didn't get all upset when Beirut got bombed, because Beirut has been getting bombed pretty much my whole life. I don't stay glued to the TV every time shit goes down in the Middle East, because shit goes down in the Middle East every fucking day. But when the capitol city of a western democracy that has been peaceful since 1945 suffers terrorist attacks, it's shocking. It's sad that it's not shocking when Beirut gets bombed, but it's just not. And it's not weird or wrong that as a country we care more about what happens to our friends than to others.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
coughs. Liberty fries? The Americans weren't so friendly with France 12 or so years ago, were they now?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck you. That wasn't me. That wasn't even a majority of Americans.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Ruth said. And they were freedom fries.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, I didn't get all upset when Beirut got bombed, because Beirut has been getting bombed pretty much my whole life. I don't stay glued to the TV every time shit goes down in the Middle East, because shit goes down in the Middle East every fucking day. But when the capitol city of a western democracy that has been peaceful since 1945 suffers terrorist attacks, it's shocking. It's sad that it's not shocking when Beirut gets bombed, but it's just not. And it's not weird or wrong that as a country we care more about what happens to our friends than to others.

And that is exactly one of the terrorists' main points. They want the West to experience what their countries have been experiencing on a daily basis for a long time; to bring the atmosphere of, as it might be, Baghdad to the capitals of Europe. The news doesn't really mention Baghdad much these days basically because the bombings are pretty much an everyday occurrence.

I was dismayed by Beirut but I know the city from pre-war days, when it was a wonderful place to be. The really depressing thing is that the Middle East as a whole has such potential to still be a great place, if only people would stop this ridiculous spiral of violence and start focusing on building the region up instead of tearing it apart. If they could just work together and put as much energy into restoration instead they could transform it into a great place to be. But no, not while some people insist (sometimes at gunpoint) that their worldview is correct and definitive, and if you don't agree, you must be sub-human and your life isn't worth preserving.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's face it, on this side of the Pond there was some pretty spectacular arseholery (or ass-holery in deference to our American friends) going on after 9/11 ... 'they had it coming ...', '... now they know what it's like to experience terrorism ...' and similar shit-arse sentiments ... like as if that's any consolation when New York, Washington and innocent people being used as human missiles en-route for the latter were struck by crazed jihadis.

So I don't blame some elements in the US for feeling narked when some French or British people came out with crap like that.

We've all got our share of insensitive toads - the US has Trump right now trumpeting that the Paris attacks wouldn't have happened if the people in the restaurants and the rock concert had been properly tooled up and packing heat ...

[Roll Eyes]

There were equally stupid statements coming out of other people's arses at the other end of the political spectrum when the US was on the receiving end of jihadist violence.

None of this helps.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

There is a general point that these things affect us more if we know the places or people involved - the Paris attacks have hit me harder than some of the others as I know the city and know the area where the attacks took place ... I've walked those streets, perhaps even eaten in restaurants close by those which were hit.

Yes, I am less affected by news of bombings in Beirut or Baghdad but that doesn't mean I'm a heartless bastard who doesn't care less ... I was deeply upset by the Kenyan attacks earlier this year, for instance and I have no connection with Kenya whatsoever - other than knowing a few people who have lived and worked there in the past.

I don't think it's an issue of which of these incidents does or should affect us the most ... 'every man's death diminishes me ...'

Donne's dictum holds true, but it doesn't mean that the death of a friend, loved one or compatriot isn't going to affect us the same as that of someone we don't know or whose country or circumstances we are less familiar with.

Everyone was shocked by the shootings of predominantly British holiday-makers in Tunisia earlier this year - and British, Germans and Belgians were probably more upset by that than Australians and Americans - who weren't among the victims on that occasion as far as I am aware.

The Russian air-crash over Egypt upset me too, and I don't know that many Russians - but I'd be lying if I said that it upset me as much as it would have done had it been a British 'plane.

The main thing, though, isn't to 'grade' these incidents but to try to work - in some way - towards an end of them - wherever they take place.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell call the next… for the cretinous little buggers who thought it would be the funniest thing ever to head into central Paris last night and let off some nice noisy explody firecrackers.

They got arrested and hopefully they’re not laughing quite so much now.

[Mad]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
What Ruth said. And they were freedom fries.

I recall they were to be eaten with cheese by surrender monkeys. Is that correct?

The problem you and Ruth have is that how would others possibly know what the majority of Americans think? Your media is our source. With Trump currently their darling.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The easiest way is this. When you see the media reporting something which they imply is the "majority view" or "so obvious, who wouldn't think this?" then you disregard what they say. Get on line, talk to people from which ever group the media claim to be representing. You may find the media are right, mostly you'll find they exaggerated things to the point of being effectively false to sell copy, or promote a cause dear to the heart of the owners of that media outlet - usually his wallet.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Thing is, though, No Prophet ... there are more US news outlets than the ones that tend to get villified over here - Fox - or those that get villified over there - CNN and MSNBC ...

My impression of the US news media overall is that it is just as varied as anything you'll find over here - with the range running from completely cretinous to actually really rather good ... which is also what you find here too.

What tends to happen is that it's the most cretinous elements that attract the most attention.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
The problem you and Ruth have is that how would others possibly know what the majority of Americans think? Your media is our source.

That you trust our media is not Ruth's problem. It's yours. You'd have to be an idiot to trust our media. And you'd have to be an idiot not to realize you'd have to be an idiot to trust our media. Thinking people on this side of the pond check things in world news against BBC, Al Jazeera, and other foreign media outlets as a reality check against our very twisted media. Not that all foreign media sources are perforce reliable. But they're not subject to the same pressures that American sources are.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
let me be clearer. Media in all its forms is the source of the world's information about other parts of the world. While shipmates may be excellent appraisers of the quality of that information, for the average person around the world, not so much. I personally knew that the anti-French sentiment of a dozen years ago was from a shrill and humour-mongering minority, but it was rathe dominant.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

no prophet: How stupid can you be? You're consuming a very narrow band of American media if you think Trump is their "darling." Try NPR. Or any one of a number of non-Murdoch-owned outlets.

[ 16. November 2015, 14:28: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I have noticed a propensity among certain Americans not to trust ANY news media - whether left, right or centre in ideology - and to for them to turn to whacko nut-job conspiracy theory websites instead.

I say 'certain Americans' because it's not a tendency I've observed among most American I know in real life - nor those I encounter virtually here aboard Ship. However, it does seem pretty common among Americans I come across through various social media outlets.

I'd prepared to accept that an impression of similar numbskullicity might be gained if one were to browse the posts of certain Brits. You know the type they are ... the 'Kippers and the like - whether the Disgusteds of Tonbridge Wells or the 'They're all after our jobs' types of East London.

These days, though, we'd have to read the Telegraph for the splutterings of retired RAF wing-commanders and army colonels.

I'm not an expert on US media and much of what I've seen of it either leaves me cold or open-mouthed at the crassness of it - but then so do the British red-tops and the Daily Wail and Daily Excess.

I have come across some right-wing Americans who do watch BBC broadcasts - if only to pontificate, 'the BBC is as bad as MSNBC!'

The conspiracy sites and the sites with titles like 'American Patriot' or 'American Conservative' with crossed rifle logos and so on make me go ... [Help] [Eek!]

But I'd imagine we'd find equally eye-brow raising sites in Russia and China and other parts of the world.

Also, there are certainly independent websites and non-Murdoch news channels in the US which don't go down that kind of route and where you'll find as much - if not more - antagonism towards butt-brains like Trump than anything you might find in media over here.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have noticed a propensity among certain Americans not to trust ANY news media - whether left, right or centre in ideology - and to for them to turn to whacko nut-job conspiracy theory websites instead.

I say 'certain Americans' because it's not a tendency I've observed among most American I know in real life - nor those I encounter virtually here aboard Ship. However, it does seem pretty common among Americans I come across through various social media outlets.

I'd prepared to accept that an impression of similar numbskullicity might be gained if one were to browse the posts of certain Brits. You know the type they are ... the 'Kippers and the like - whether the Disgusteds of Tonbridge Wells or the 'They're all after our jobs' types of East London.

From what I've seen, the rugged-individualist, conspiracy theory types ARE more prevalent in the USA than in the UK. A Little Englander will say something like "Bloody EU, trying to slap labels on all our dairy products and tell us what we can teach our kids in school", and leave it at that. Whereas an American of the "Paranoid Style" will draw in supposedly hidden global conspiracies of an occultic hue(eg. the Bilderbergers) to spice up his denunciation of the more visible threats.

Though I have heard that the Freemen On The Land, which is straight out of the American militia subculture, has developed a bit of a following in the UK. I don't know enough about the British domestic scene to know if this might be connected to an increased distrust in the police.

And of course, the UK has David Icke.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One more thing...

quote:
The conspiracy sites and the sites with titles like 'American Patriot' or 'American Conservative' with crossed rifle logos and so on make me go ...

The American Conservative tends to publish people like Pat Buchanan, Eric Margolis, and Rand Paul, who tend to be hostile toward increased American intervention in the middle east and elsewhere. This marks them apart from FOX News etc, who tend to just cheerlead for whatever the official Right is proposing(which almost always includes more war).

If I'm not mistaken, the Murdoch press in the UK is closer to FOX in this regard.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Sure, I'm not saying that sites with titles like 'American Patriot' have the same agenda as Fox News ... which, as you say, has an agenda that is similar to Murdoch-media the world over.

I was simply using it as an example of the kind of US site/news and comment outlet that makes me go [Eek!] ...

If the title wasn't bad enough - isn't 'Patriot' in the US short-hand for gun-totin' US Particularist? - then it's the crossed rifles insignia that sends me heading for the hills ...

I don't think we've heard anything from David Icke for a while. I've only ever met one person in real life who took him seriously ...

Whereas I get the impression that were I to travel across certain States in the US I'd have to keep my mouth well buttoned up lest I be dragged outside and bull-whipped - or worse - for being a Goddamned Pinko Limey 'Enabler' or some such horse-shit ...

But that's just an impression ...

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Sorry Stetson, you mentioned the 'American Conservative' rather than 'American Patriot'. My bad.

Either way, rightly or wrongly, for better or for worse, the terms 'Conservative' and 'Patriot' are both terms I'd rather not see conjoined with American in a publication title.

'American Liberal', 'American Progressive' or 'American Inclusivist' or even 'American Commonsense Publication That Wants Everything to Be Just Nice' would fall easier on my eye ... and none of those are oxymorons.

I don't know what it is, but any combination of the terms 'American', 'Patriot' and 'Conservative' would turn me into a quivering wreck ... I hear the twang of banjos ... the ropes tightening about my wrists ...

[Ultra confused]

I'll wake up with a jolt and in a cold-sweat tonight ... (uncorks whisky tumbler) ...

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
And of course, the UK has David Icke.

He may still be alive but he's certainly dropped completely off the radar. I don't think anyone's heard anything from him for years - though it's probably there if you actively look for it. No mainstream coverage, anyhow.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016