homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Xenophobic racist bigots (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Xenophobic racist bigots
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I mean, Screaming Lord Sutch is a character, but nobody seriously wanted him as PM.

A few years ago I remember seeing a list of policies the Monster Raving Loony Party first proposed over the years (for the benefit of overseas readers they've been going since the 1960s I think) which had subsequently been implemented.

It was surprisingly long and included things like compulsory seat belts in cars.

You are my new best friend. I went looking for this and learned that UKIP has the same party colours as the Standing at the back dressed stupidly and looking stupid party . [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is the other problem with the "democratic" system, that if the choice is between Trump and Palin, Palin seems the more reasonable.

As was said on South Park once "Every election is a choice between a douche and a turd sandwich". When all choices are bad, you end up with a bad choice.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
A few years ago I remember seeing a list of policies the Monster Raving Loony Party first proposed over the years (for the benefit of overseas readers they've been going since the 1960s I think) which had subsequently been implemented.

This article, perhaps?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also see that Trump has described Katie Hopkins as a "respected columnist". Though, as they both produce the same vile filth, that seems somehow fitting.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I also see that Trump has described Katie Hopkins as a "respected columnist". Though, as they both produce the same vile filth, that seems somehow fitting.

Would that make Ms Hopkins a Filth Columnist?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
My prediction for the 2017 presidential election is this: she will make it into the second round in first place ahead of someone from the (non-extreme) right, possibly Nicolas Sarkozy. At this point people will dig out their old “I am ashamed to be French” placards from the last time this happened and take to the streets beating their breasts. The second round will have a turn-out of 90%, large numbers of people will vote “anyone but Lepen” with a clothes peg on their nose and the other candidate will win, whoever they are. You heard it here first.

Which is, more or less, what has just happened in the municipal elections - at least, that's how the BBC report on the TV this morning put it.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marine Lepen has got a bloody nose. The country breathes a sigh of relief (sort of).

Xenophobic racist bigotry is still alive and well though.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

While the neo-nazi thugs still manage a strong vote in the first round of an election, and are only given the democratic boot by tactical votes to keep them out, then they still have too much political influence. Presumably the tactical voting has mostly resulted in votes for whoever was seen to be the most likely to win, and thus probably hasn't changed the results compared to an election without a strong racist party. But, their presence has effectively killed the chance of a surprise result.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile one of those held for a long time in Guantánamo, apparently for "being a Muslim with a beard", has been speaking with considerable grace to the British media.

It is quite hard to imagine how someone held that long for no reason can speak so calmly.

--------------------
arse

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

It is quite hard to imagine how someone held that long for no reason can speak so calmly.

See Nelson Mandela?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Nelson Mandela?

I don't think that is an unfair comparison.

--------------------
arse

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
la vie en rouge: Marine Lepen has got a bloody nose. The country breathes a sigh of relief (sort of).
While I'm relieved with the outcome, I'm also concerned that the strategy of tactical voting can backfire in the future.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With Mandela, though, there were *some* legally legitimate reasons, AIUI. He wasn't always non-violent in his struggle.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Fear.

is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
It certainly increased the popularity of the KKK and various right-wing regimes in the 1920's and 1930's (some of which staggered on until the 1980's).

To say that it doesn't matter because those who vote for racists are stupid misses the point. There are many stupid people. They have not all historically voted for racist parties and like more intelligent and better educated people they deserve representation.

Most of all, many racist parties are led by people who have tremendous people skills even if they are not remotely intellectual.

Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Meanwhile one of those held for a long time in Guantánamo, apparently for "being a Muslim with a beard", has been speaking with considerable grace to the British media.

Jesus, that poor man. [Disappointed]

I hope people are smart enough to shut up and listen to every last thing he has to say about xenophobia.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
la vie en rouge: Marine Lepen has got a bloody nose. The country breathes a sigh of relief (sort of).
While I'm relieved with the outcome, I'm also concerned that the strategy of tactical voting can backfire in the future.
One is reminded of Malcolm X.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

I hope people are smart enough to shut up and listen to every last thing he has to say about xenophobia.

As the world becomes more uncertain, it will grow worse.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Fear.

is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
It certainly increased the popularity of the KKK and various right-wing regimes in the 1920's and 1930's (some of which staggered on until the 1980's).

To say that it doesn't matter because those who vote for racists are stupid misses the point. There are many stupid people. They have not all historically voted for racist parties and like more intelligent and better educated people they deserve representation.

Most of all, many racist parties are led by people who have tremendous people skills even if they are not remotely intellectual.

Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly furry hat on

Argona. You seem to be unable to manage the posting thing properly. Please refresh your ability on the UBB practice thread in Styx, and stop cluttering up Hell with non-posts.

Hostly furry hat off

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure which thread should have this, but:

"Anti-immigrant vigilante patrols cause concern in Finland" (Yahoo).

The "Soldiers of Odin", no less. Oy. But there are some counter groups, too.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hate and fear are not the exclusive purview of the intellectually limited. It is a mistake to view this as anything close reality.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Not sure which thread should have this, but:

"Anti-immigrant vigilante patrols cause concern in Finland" (Yahoo).

The "Soldiers of Odin", no less. Oy. But there are some counter groups, too.

On the other hand, Finland also offers classes on culture.

quote:
...in Finland you can’t buy a wife,... A woman will only be your wife if she wants to be-because here women are men’s equals...even if she dances with you very closely and is wearing a short skirt, that doesn’t mean she wants to have sex with you.
Probably a good idea.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dude. Breitbart warning next time. NSFThinkinghumans content behind that link!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

The original BBC article, from which the Breitbart one was drawn.

(Doesn't the BBC site allow comments? Or is it something with my browser settings?)

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
The original BBC article, from which the Breitbart one was drawn.

(Doesn't the BBC site allow comments? Or is it something with my browser settings?)

It could be because some forms of access to BBC sites are restricted to the UK.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016