homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy Holidays (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy Holidays
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
I was wished Merry Christmas by an automated checkout today. I didn't reply.

I heard a rumour that they were being programmed to say "Ho Ho Ho." Did it actually do this?
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be offensive to sex workers.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I think Ariel has a point - there seems to be a reluctance, possibly especially in the media and public bodies, to wish people "merry Christmas" because of a perceived possibility of offending the sensibilities of those who don't celebrate it. Some of the TV chefs here, for instance, will talk about a recipe being great "around the holidays", which does rankle a bit as it tends to sound contrived, and it's patently obvious that they mean "Christmas".

Many of my colleagues don't celebrate Christmas in the same sense that I do (some because they're of other faiths, some because they're of none). They all join in enthusiastically with the celebrations and parties, and when a toast is proposed, I'm happy to say "Merry Christmas or whatever you're celebrating". I've never seen any of them look even remotely offended.

Obvious they mean Christmas? Yes, it is the dominant celebration around this time, but it is not the only one.
Office Christmas parties aren't generally offencive because Christianity is part of the established culture in a way that other religions are not.
ISTM, Happy Holidays is meant to be inclusive, not to avoid offence.

Ariel,
Re-reading your OP, you display no personal angst. Indeed, were it to have appeared in Purg, it would likely not have engendered the same responses it has here. Which begs the question of why you chose to drop it in Hell, you naughty Sprite. I don't think you can expect to be released in two days.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I heard a rumour that they were being programmed to say "Ho Ho Ho." Did it actually do this?

Like this?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
you scanned your ... card? [brick wall]

With that ever-so-slight overtone of reproach. Though you could try screaming back 'No I didn't! Because it said Happy Holidays! If I was on holiday I wouldn't be standing here with flaming carrier bags full of tinselled crap and a fucking frozen turkey bloody ton of sprouts and parsnips and spuds all waiting for me to magic up in the kitchen like I'm bloody Nigella Oliver I would be on a beach somewhere now read the barcode on the sodding brandy willya and let me out of here!'

It could gather quite a crowd.

I'd just hope I'd get my phone out in time. The YouTube footage would be gold

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet--

Were the TV chefs you mentioned American, or at least on American shows? Because "around the holidays" is normal here.

Re various posts about people taking offense: some people, when offended, don't show it in any obvious way--especially if it's a really personal offense (e.g. they don't celebrate Christmas in any way, shape, or form because they were abused by clergy), or the root of the offense is so obvious that the offender must be either clueless or malicious.

Someone who seems unoffended may just have good manners. Or doesn't want to start a rumble indoors, and it's too cold to take it outside.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
December 25th is widely understood to be Christmas, whether you like it or not.

And yet you're horribly offended when someone doesn't wish you a "Merry Christmas" more than two weeks in advance? Just another example of the "War on Advent". [Big Grin]

[ 11. December 2015, 20:43: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Were the TV chefs you mentioned American, or at least on American shows? Because "around the holidays" is normal here.

"The holiday season" is also heard a lot, meaning the five weeks from Thanksgiving through New Year's Day, which also includes Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and the Winter Solstice, as well as Christmas.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
I prefered "Thank you for shopping at Tesco".

Tubbs

To be fair, anything is better than 'unexpected item in the baggage area'.
The new version of this in my local shop is "Surprising item on the scale".

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I'll start saying "Happy Holy Days" which is in fact the source of the word holiday. My mother in law used the appalling phrase 'compliments of the season' which I found much more offensive than Happy Holidays. Anyway, Happy Christmas shipmates.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I don't celebrate Christmas. If wished a Merry Christmas I usually thank the person or say Happy Holidays. While it be inclusive in some quarters, I don't like the people who think it should be mandatory. People like you who demand that everyone say "Merry Christmas" instead of a phrase of good will that is compatible with their own religious practice or lack of it.

December 25th is widely understood to be Christmas, whether you like it or not. If you choose to disregard that, that's your decision. I don't have a lot of time for people who think that referring to a specific festival by its actual name is wrong and offensive. What I am asking is, who actually finds it offensive to hear it called Christmas? Because there is an accepted impression that it will upset some elements of the population who aren't Christian, but I have yet to meet anyone who actually feels that way. I don't currently have any religious faith myself but the season is what it is.

It's also inconsistent because nobody seems to do this for other festivals like Easter or Bank Holidays or Diwali.

Anyway, Happy Holidays is a nice bland all-purpose generic greeting that has no overtones of anything at all. Having been wished it a few times so far, I can keep it to apply equally to the New Year, Easter, Halloween, Diwali, the end of Ramadan, my birthday, and any day off I might have throughout the year.

I'm not offended when people wish me a Merry Christmas. I'm offended when they demand that I reply "Merry Christmas" instead of another salutation of my own choosing. Or that if I send a card of greeting they demand it has to mention Christmas. If that bothers you that I don't follow your rules, then tough. What I especially like about replying Happy Holiday is that it's a phrase of good will to those I wish well and annoyance to the likes of you.

If you never meet people like me, who don't care to use Christmas in their expressions of good will, then what are you whining about?

[ 12. December 2015, 05:26: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

Well, that's kind of fun.

[ 12. December 2015, 07:39: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not the first to say that 'happy holiday' sounds weird on this side of the Pond because holiday is what we go on in the summer.

I don't think I've ever had a Jewish or Muslim friend who doesn't/didn't send Christmas cards, so I send/sent them Christmas cards, too.

Happy Crimbo, one and all!

M.

[ 12. December 2015, 07:57: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe "Happy X-mas" is appropriate as Christ seems somewhat x rated in today's polite society.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

Well, that's kind of fun.
Yeah, in my case it could mean that I've bought some fruit... [Biased]

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes, I've had that too. I'm looking forward to the seasonal adaptation of "Surprising item on the scale, ho ho ho".

Having said that, I suppose adding "Merry Christmas" could mislead shoppers into thinking it was a gift they didn't have to pay for.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I was wished Merry Christmas by an automated checkout today. I didn't reply.

It has happened. Tesco's self-service tills have a bell jingling at you and "Ho, Ho, Ho!" I'm dealing with people on the tills because it's so horrible.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Father Christmas in his garden shed, checking his tools:
- Spade, fork, rake, hoe, hoe, hoe...

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
.......self-service tills have a bell jingling at you and "Ho, Ho, Ho!" I'm dealing with people on the tills because it's so horrible.

H'mmmm Santa -phobia in adults. Interesting. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just me ..

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
It has happened. Tesco's self-service tills have a bell jingling at you and "Ho, Ho, Ho!" I'm dealing with people on the tills because it's so horrible.

You mean it's ho-ho-horrible [Big Grin]

Sounds like fun - looking forward to my next visit. The closest I've come to it at other supermarkets is being assisted with my unexpected item by someone in a Santa hat.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Half past ten or eleven at night, not in the best of moods because I was hungry and on my way home from work, no I wasn't best pleased to have the automated check-out start jingling cheerfully in my ear as I was scanning the ready meal I was intending to eat. The final greeting of "Ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas" a week into Advent had me debating what seasonal produce applied with force would silence the damn machine.

After years of self-service, which I am sure Tesco's would prefer because it reduces staff costs, I'm now using the manned tills to avoid the annoying message.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please allow me to use this thread and say just how much I hate "gift bags." We aren't big Christmas buyers at my house, we get each other things like chocolates and socks and the grand cost total for everything under the tree right now, for three people, is probably about sixty dollars, so why does my entire living room look like someone just came through and dropped the weeks' shopping and trash in the middle of the floor? Those damn gift bags, that's why! There's plenty of wrapping paper, ribbon and tape in the closet. It doesn't have to be neat, just wrapped, instead of sacked with crushed crepe paper spilling over the top.

My husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas when we were standing in Walmart and I nodded toward a stack of plain sweatshirts and said, "A new sweatshirt would be nice." Two weeks later he said he couldn't find a sweatshirt without some sort of slogan on the front. We were in the drug store at the time so I picked up a pretty gold compact (ten dollars on sale for half-price) and said, "This would be nice." Now it's under the tree in a huge bag that keeps falling over because it's way big and mainly empty.

Wake me when it's Ash Wednesday.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Piglet--

No - Canadian, on the CBC.

The check-out girl in a bookshop wished me "happy holidays" today and I must confess that I replied "thank you - merry Christmas".

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I went to Asda today, purely to see if the self-service checkouts would say 'ho ho ho!' to me. They didn't. Just the usual 'unexpected item in the baggage area.' Am quite disappointed!
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, I went round to Tesco's and the checkouts were all disappointingly silent. Maybe they'll spring the Christmas greetings on us later in the month.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Found a Bible verse that starts with Ho Ho, then something about 'fleeing from the land of the North'. Pressumably a reference to the North Pole?
Surprised Ol' St Nick with his Ho ho ho is even allowed any representation in a public place these days.

<Zechariah 2: v6>

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

After years of self-service, which I am sure Tesco's would prefer because it reduces staff costs,

Exactly why I don't use them.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
quote:

After years of self-service, which I am sure Tesco's would prefer because it reduces staff costs,

Exactly why I don't use them.
Several years ago I tried to explain that to a cashier who was being very snippy about my not wanting to use the self-serve check-out.

--------------------
~Tortuf

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't use them because they are rubbish. And I am happy to tell any staff member who asks me about this. The same applies to the bank paying-in machines - give me a person any day who is actually trained to use the till unlike me.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am iron-clad with this -- diminished vision is an excellent excuse.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't use the self-serve at my local Kroger because the bossy voice that keeps barking at me to "Put! the! item! in! the! bag!" has a British accent and makes me feel like an idiot. I get quite enough of that here on the ship.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it quacks like a duck ...

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I don't use the self-serve at my local Kroger because the bossy voice that keeps barking at me to "Put! the! item! in! the! bag!" has a British accent and makes me feel like an idiot. I get quite enough of that here on the ship.

That's why the self-serves have volume controls. [Biased] The first thing I do when I use the self-checkout is turn the volume off.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

Thoroughly mean and misdirected. Thought better of you.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Hell. Twilight has been around long enough to know that posting here paints a target on her. And, that was a barn-door sized target she offered. In addition, she doesn't need some relative noob to defend her.

Now, let's all join in singing
"We wish you a Happy Holidays,
We wish you a Happy Holidays,
We wish you a Happy Holidays,
Now kindly bog off"

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Thoroughly mean
Good, good... let the hate flow through you.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

I grumble at self-service tills because they don't let me scan one thing and say "I've got 10 of these". I understand why they don't, but I still grumble about it. I still choose the self-service line in preference to a person, though.

As far as holiday wishes go, I usually send cards that say "Merry Christmas". I wish people a Merry Christmas. I don't feel the need to get offended if someone wishes me something else (I might not be able to keep a straight face if it's "Winterval" or "Festivus", mind.)

As far as other holidays go, if I know someone has a particular celebration coming up, I wish them a happy whatever-it-is. Whether or not that celebration happens in the middle of winter.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Found a Bible verse that starts with Ho Ho, then something about 'fleeing from the land of the North' ...

There's also Ho, everyone that thirsteth from Isaiah 55.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to flee from the North though - it's easily my favourite direction ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

PS - just a thought re: Twilight's post: why would you feel intimidated by a "British"* accent?

* not that such a thing actually exists. Who did it sound like? Billy Connolly? Someone from East Enders? The Queen?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:

I can't imagine why anyone would want to flee from the North though - it's easily my favourite direction ... [Big Grin]

It's fleeing from the land of the north, rather than the direction. I can see why Mexico may be seeing a flood of refugees from the land of the north, people assaulted by too many loud proclamations of "Happy Holidays" from their automated check-outs and plain red coffee cups.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

LIlBuddha: Thanks for defending me. I knew Alan was kidding yet still I enjoyed it.

quote:
PS - just a thought re: Twilight's post: why would you feel intimidated by a "British"* accent?

* not that such a thing actually exists. Who did it sound like? Billy Connolly? Someone from East Enders? The Queen?

Emma Thompson a bit angry. (She's actually my favorite actress, but she can sometimes sound frightfully superior and intolerant to my West Virginia-twang conditioned ears.) Now that you mention it, I would love to have Billy Connolly in the machine or possibly Vicki Pollard saying "Yeah but, no but, its in the bag then innit?"
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was wondering if Twilight had ben spoken to by Ray Winstone or another of our long line of Hollywood baddies. Alan Rickman and Liam Neeson do the job well too, but not as well as Winstone.

To be asked in one of those deep, low, slow voices "How. Are. You. Going. To. Pay?" could be quite terrifying.

(I once went round the church selling raffle tickets while recovering from a sore throat that gave me that kind of voice. Sold stacks of tickets).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I'm not offended when people wish me a Merry Christmas.

I have had the dubious good fortune to know, vaguely, some extrememly upstanding Baptists who insisted on 'HAPPY Christmas' because they wouldn't want anyone to think they were sanctioning the sort of merriment that comes from a bottle...

It really does take all sorts, even within the same religion, it would seem.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
That's why the self-serves have volume controls. [Biased] The first thing I do when I use the self-checkout is turn the volume off.

Where are the volume controls? I never knew there were any.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite like the hand held scanners (when they are working [Roll Eyes] ), they are much less bossy than self check outs. I do feel uncomfortable putting things into my shopping bag as I wander round though and feel I have to hold my scanner obviously so no one thinks I'm shoplifting.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

My dog got into the gift bags and tore up a watch! Suddenly I had an excuse to put all the presents in the closet until Christmas morning! My living room looks pretty and tidy again!

The Lord works in mysterious ways. [Yipee]

ldjjd
Shipmate
# 17390

- Posted      Profile for ldjjd         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
December 25th is widely understood to be Christmas, whether you like it or not.

And yet you're horribly offended when someone doesn't wish you a "Merry Christmas" more than two weeks in advance? Just another example of the "War on Advent". [Big Grin]
Even worse, the term "Christmas" obviously reflects the bitter "War on the Holy Mass". So Ariel, please wish me a "Blessed Attendance at the Christ Mass".
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
In addition, she doesn't need some relative noob to defend her.

Noob? Points, grandfather, for using the word relatively properly.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
]Good, good... let the hate flow through you.

I don't hate Alan, not even cross with him. Suppose I shouldn't have said anything. One should always be kind to those whose prime is past.
Speaking of which, nice cultural reference, Doc Tor.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

To be asked in one of those deep, low, slow voices "How. Are. You. Going. To. Pay?" could be quite terrifying.

That would be so completely badass.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016