homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy Holidays (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy Holidays
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cue James Earl Jones, either as himself or as Darth Vader.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Please allow me to use this thread and say just how much I hate "gift bags." We aren't big Christmas buyers at my house, we get each other things like chocolates and socks and the grand cost total for everything under the tree right now, for three people, is probably about sixty dollars, so why does my entire living room look like someone just came through and dropped the weeks' shopping and trash in the middle of the floor? Those damn gift bags, that's why! There's plenty of wrapping paper, ribbon and tape in the closet. It doesn't have to be neat, just wrapped, instead of sacked with crushed crepe paper spilling over the top.

Then why the fuck don't you wrap it? Does your husband insist on gift bags? Did somebody follow you home from the store and hold a gun to your head and insist you use a gift bag instead of wrapping paper? WHY DO YOU USE THE FUCKING THINGS IF YOU HATE THEM SO MUCH? Are you stupid?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I've now received three cards wishing me Happy Holidays. It's Christmas. What's wrong with wishing people a happy Christmas? Why is that considered offensive?

Why do you think the reason the person sent you a card saying "Happy Holidays" is because they consider it offensive? Or even that they think somebody else might consider it offensive? is that the only possible reason someone might send a card that says "Happy Holidays"? What makes you think they think there's something wrong with wishing someone a happy Christmas?

Why do YOU think it's wrong to wish someone happy holidays? Who twisted your knickers? Have you been watching televangelists again? We've warned you about that. First they get you uptight about winter greetings, next thing they're hitting you up for money and getting caught with their pants around their ankles in a men's room in Bimini. Is that what you want to be associated with?

In short, why are you such a fucking idiot?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel can speak for her/himself but possibly because, I believe, that Ariel is in the UK. Ariel is not going on holiday. Ariel is looking forward to Christmas.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Then why the fuck don't you wrap it? Does your husband insist on gift bags? Did somebody follow you home from the store and hold a gun to your head and insist you use a gift bag instead of wrapping paper? WHY DO YOU USE THE FUCKING THINGS IF YOU HATE THEM SO MUCH? Are you stupid?

Am I stupid? I believe most people who read that rant would take it for granted that the gifts in gift bags were not wrapped by me, but by Someone Else. A few of them are actually to me.

Every year the majority of the gifts under our tree are to my son from his father ( my ex-husband.) It's a time honored tradition for the non-custodial parent to go overboard at Christmas. I wouldn't be so rude as to mess with them, only to complain about them here.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Holidays/Seasons Greetings (whichever is more appropriate to one's side of the pond) normally includes Diwali since it happens in winter, so a bit confused as to why the OP mentions nobody doing this for Diwali. As for Easter, there are more festivals around the same time in winter than there are in spring, and Easter's changing date also impacts this. It just seems like common sense to use a generic seasonal greeting at a time when there are many religious festivals being celebrated, and even many cultural Christians may have a hard time with Christmas. And as has been pointed out, it is not Christmas yet anyway.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Happy Holidays/Seasons Greetings (whichever is more appropriate to one's side of the pond) normally includes Diwali since it happens in winter, so a bit confused as to why the OP mentions nobody doing this for Diwali.

I am fairly certain that the majority of people wishing others "Happy Holidays" have never heard of Diwali, let alone considered that they might be choosing their language in order to include it.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But how wouldn't they have heard of Diwali? [Confused]

It's not some kind of big secret, it's just another major winter religious festival like Hanukkah or Kwanzaa.

Also most people saying Happy Holidays are doing it to include all festivals around that time, whether they have heard of them or not. Diwali is included because of the timeframe.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it's just another major winter religious festival like Hanukkah or Kwanzaa.

is this where I tentatively stick my hand up and say Kwanzaa is a totally new one on me as word thing and festival? Every day's a school day...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well then.

Happy Harmonica
Happy Dieting Month
Happy Lighting Festival
Happy More Recently Invented American/African Fruit Harvest Thing
Happy Moose Hunting Season

And anyone omitted, please treat yourself to a McDonald's Happy Meal. Vegetarians are SOL, you don't get a holiday.

[ 15. December 2015, 14:59: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You forgot Happy Beethoven's Birthday (tomorrow).
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why do you think the reason the person sent you a card saying "Happy Holidays" is because they consider it offensive? Or even that they think somebody else might consider it offensive? is that the only possible reason someone might send a card that says "Happy Holidays"? What makes you think they think there's something wrong with wishing someone a happy Christmas? Why do YOU think it's wrong to wish someone happy holidays? Who twisted your knickers? Have you been watching televangelists again?

[Snore] Wrong thread, MT. Go and play on the Rosencrantz one in the Circus.
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
PS - just a thought re: Twilight's post: why would you feel intimidated by a "British"* accent?

* not that such a thing actually exists. Who did it sound like? Billy Connolly? Someone from East Enders? The Queen?

Eddie Izzard! Now if it was his voice at the local Kroger self-checkout, I would make it a point to use those. And normally I hate self-checkout because it's intimidating. All those people behind you, impatiently clucking their tongues because you're a little slower at the whole business. Eddie Izzard would be oddly comforting.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:

is this where I tentatively stick my hand up and say Kwanzaa is a totally new one on me as word thing and festival? Every day's a school day...
In fairness (and I should have qualified it thusly), Kwanzaa is only a major festival in North America. It's an African-American festival honouring West African culture and traditions.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
Eddie Izzard! Now if it was his voice at the local Kroger self-checkout, I would make it a point to use those. And normally I hate self-checkout because it's intimidating. All those people behind you, impatiently clucking their tongues because you're a little slower at the whole business. Eddie Izzard would be oddly comforting.

Oo, oo, yes he would! Or Ricky Gervais doing his soft and smarmy mumbling: "Now you might want to run it through the scanner before putting it in the bag --wait -- or not --(chuckle)... (sigh) fun... I see you have the magazine, "Big Breasted Women Being Punished," that's not fair then, is it? If anything they should be rewarded, shouldn't they ... oh, I see you have Twinkies, I think they're yummy don't ..."
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In fairness (and I should have qualified it thusly), Kwanzaa is only a major festival in North America. It's an African-American festival honouring West African culture and traditions.

In further fairness, it is only celebrated in the United States; I never hear of it in Canada, and a significant part of my family is of Black origin.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh well, if we're living our fantasies...

Jeff Bridges greets me with audible delight - 'Mmm, steak, my favourite! You're going to slow roast the peppers? Fresh chili salsa - wow! '. Instead of a spotty lad in a nylon overall coming to swipe a card when I scan the bottle of wine, Jeff purrs on 'Chilean Merlot? Was that cheesecake I just saw? What time's dinner? I'll be there.'

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Why do you think the reason the person sent you a card saying "Happy Holidays" is because they consider it offensive? Or even that they think somebody else might consider it offensive? is that the only possible reason someone might send a card that says "Happy Holidays"? What makes you think they think there's something wrong with wishing someone a happy Christmas? Why do YOU think it's wrong to wish someone happy holidays? Who twisted your knickers? Have you been watching televangelists again?

[Snore] Wrong thread, MT. Go and play on the Rosencrantz one in the Circus.
You done fucked up your OP and now are pissy about being called on it. Take your lumps.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Am I stupid?
Yes. Next question?

--------------------
Siegfried

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
You done fucked up your OP and now are pissy about being called on it. Take your lumps.

Nope, just bored. Time moves on.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
quote:

In further fairness, it is only celebrated in the United States; I never hear of it in Canada, and a significant part of my family is of Black origin.
It isn't only celebrated in the US. Just not by very many people. To be fair, it is a minority of Black Americans who celebrate it, IME. There is more awareness in the US, because that is where it originated.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
quote:
quote:

Am I stupid?
Yes. Next question?
Next question? Why come late to a thread, with no clue what's going on, and say things that have already been said but with more wit and timing?
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More December holidays (Wikipedia).

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Firenze--

You really need to create self-serve register AIs, and sell them.
[Smile]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe we should just all send cards that say "Congratulations on making it as far as December, not long to go now".
Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because they don't know any Hindus? Hanukkah gets enough mentions in popular culture (TV, movies etc.) that the average person with no particular knowledge of Jews or Judaism has probably heard of it. Diwali doesn't get so many mentions. I'd guess it was about as well-known as Eid. (But probably more well known than that there's more than one Eid.)

Kwanzaa? I've heard of it. Probably all my black friends have heard of it, but none of them celebrate it. Amongst the white folks? Oddly enough, it came up in conversation the other day (it was written on the seasonal wrapping for some kind of fast food). The current score stands at one "I've heard of that", one "is that the black thing?" and three "huh?"

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Kwanzaa is a phony holiday, invented in Los Angeles in the mid-1960s, and celebrated primarily by the kind of people who insist on capitalizing "black" when it is used to refer to human beings with more melanin in their skin than some other human beings.

None of my black friends or colleagues observe it; it seems to be of interest primarily to the obsessively politically correct.

Happy Hoohah.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Because they don't know any Hindus? Hanukkah gets enough mentions in popular culture (TV, movies etc.) that the average person with no particular knowledge of Jews or Judaism has probably heard of it. Diwali doesn't get so many mentions. I'd guess it was about as well-known as Eid. (But probably more well known than that there's more than one Eid.)
Wasn't it Jimi Mistri in 'The Guru' who lamented that the only famous Hindu in the US was Apu from the Simpsons 'and he's not even real!'

(Best quote from that film: "Feel Billy Joel between your legs," But I digress.)

I have heard of Kwanzaa but I have never heard of anyone I know in the UK celebrating it.

As for Beethoven's birthday, I certainly intend to celebrate that - and mine too!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[ I see you have the magazine, "Big Breasted Women Being Punished,"

They sell that in supermarkets now? [Devil]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Supermarkets have no shame. They'll sell anything that might make them a quid/buck. Hot cross buns in January, mince pies in August (with an October best-by date), even cards declaring "Happy Holidays".

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which is why it is very odd to see it in a list used by a British person. This is my main objection to “Happy Holidays” being used by British people in general. Not that there’s anything wrong with being an American. But don’t pretend to be one if you’re not. I’m sure “Season’s Greetings” would be good enough for the Queen [Two face] .

The equivalent of “Happy Holidays” in French is “Bonnes fêtes”. If someone went with just “Happy Christmas (Joyeux Noël)” I would assume that for some reason they didn’t like me and wanted me to have a miserable New Year.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They sell hot cross buns in JanuaryFebruaryMarch AprilMayJuneJuly AugustSeptemberOctoberNovember and December. And they aren't, of course, hot.
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Am I stupid?
Yes. Next question?
Next question? Why come late to a thread, with no clue what's going on, and say things that have already been said but with more wit and timing?
I've been reading this all along, darlin', and have more clue than you I'd say. But that's just in general.
As for my answer, I must have misunderstood your question to be an overall assessment of you, not just on this thread. Of course, my answer would still have been the same.

--------------------
Siegfried

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
The equivalent of “Happy Holidays” in French is “Bonnes fêtes”. If someone went with just “Happy Christmas (Joyeux Noël)” I would assume that for some reason they didn’t like me and wanted me to have a miserable New Year.

Which is why I have less than no objection to "Happy Holidays." Until I saw Pomona remind me that of course I'd been thinking of it, how could I not, I hadn't even remembered that Diwali was a winter holiday. Heck, I hadn't even thought about it at all. Kwanzaa? Yeah, you meet people around here who celebrate that. Advent? Hey, I enjoy being pedantic and reminding GLE's that they're taking part in the War on Purple (and putting a yellow cap on another bottle of blue chain lube at the bike shop every Sunday). Krampusnacht? St. Nick's Day? Santa Lucia? Any excuse for a party? Bring it.

Look, I can't hardly remember what day of the week it is. Retailminionschedule, no regularity, no significance to days other than a few shifts in when you're open on two of them. I'd probably wish someone "Merry Christmas" on 30 December or something, forgetting that Christmas had passed. "Happy Holidays" isn't just PC run amok. It's convenient, it's all-encompasing, and it keeps the folks behind the counter a little less crazy.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recommend Daily Mash Christmas Cards. Caption is HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS! HAVE A SPROUT.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I'd probably wish someone "Merry Christmas" on 30 December or something, forgetting that Christmas had passed.

Nope, it's the sixth day of Christmas with six more to go.
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But don’t pretend to be one if you’re not.
Says someone called la vie en rouge... [Biased]

[ 16. December 2015, 15:33: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Supermarkets have no shame. They'll sell anything that might make them a quid/buck. Hot cross buns in January, mince pies in August (with an October best-by date), even cards declaring "Happy Holidays".

Hot cross buns have been on sale for a while now and were in store last night when I passed by. I sort of did a double take as I had just come in past the flower stall bit where they had daffodils and tulips as well.

As for cards saying "Happy Holidays" - so much better than a card wishing you a simple Merry Christmas, which can only be used once and looks very out of date in January. Instead, you can use them at any time throughout the year for any occasion. Just get in a stock and your worries about having the right kind of card for the occasion are over. Next stop, Easter. (Which to judge by the flowers and buns is already almost here.)

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not seen any time when HCBs have not been for sale. Occasionally, Waitrose also have "richly fruited buns" which are the same without the cross, but always as well, not instead. I won't buy the crossed ones, and get my HCBs on Good Friday from the local baker for breakfast - so they are hot at the point of sale.

Waitrose are currantly selling "signature spice star" loaves for Christmas, which satisfy my yearning for spicy yeast dough, and are wholemeal as well.

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Happy Holidays/Seasons Greetings (whichever is more appropriate to one's side of the pond) normally includes Diwali since it happens in winter, so a bit confused as to why the OP mentions nobody doing this for Diwali.

I am fairly certain that the majority of people wishing others "Happy Holidays" have never heard of Diwali, let alone considered that they might be choosing their language in order to include it.
Most people in my corner of middle England have never heard of Divali, as real holiday that real people celebrate. If they have come aross it then it is as something exotic that happens elsewehere.

Happy holidays around here is seen as an creeping Americanism or an attempt to be PC that they find offensive.

I have been driven nuts by anti 'happy holiday' posts on ny FB page - variations of how they are celebrate christams and if you don't like it go back to where you came from (serioulsy)

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Tell you what: we'll take back "Happy Holidays" to the US, if UK folks will please take back the citron bits from the hot cross buns. You can put them in your own, and enjoy them. I can't stand citron. Win-win. [Smile]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Tell you what: we'll take back "Happy Holidays" to the US, if UK folks will please take back the citron bits from the hot cross buns. You can put them in your own, and enjoy them. I can't stand citron. Win-win. [Smile]

Just so long as Hershey's stop calling their brown confectionary "chocolate" [Biased]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And on behalf of southern latitudes, I'd quite like you to stop all this nonsense about things being winter holidays. They're December holidays, and this weekend it's going to be 37 Celsius.
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
PS - just a thought re: Twilight's post: why would you feel intimidated by a "British"* accent?

* not that such a thing actually exists. Who did it sound like? Billy Connolly? Someone from East Enders? The Queen?

That really annoys me.

If I hear someone talking in an Eastern-European language, that's the most I'll be able to identify it - because I don't speak any Eastern-European languages. That doesn't mean that if I call the not-quite-identified language "an Easter-European language" that I believe there is only one in existence.

Similarly, I am not able to classify accents as specifically from Manchester or York or Edinburgh or Cardiff. I am able to identify that it is one of the many accents from the category "British accents", and so that is what I'll call it.

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
And on behalf of southern latitudes, I'd quite like you to stop all this nonsense about things being winter holidays. They're December holidays, and this weekend it's going to be 37 Celsius.

Is because snow won't stick upside down.

Before you bring it up, we all know footage of "Antarctica" is fake. Is a topical island.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and then there's Festivus the holiday for the rest of us.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
Most people in my corner of middle England have never heard of Divali, as real holiday that real people celebrate. If they have come aross it then it is as something exotic that happens elsewehere.

In this corner of middle England in north west London, Diwali is enthusiastically celebrated, the external manifestation being fireworks which in most years get mixed up with those for Guy Fawkes.

But it never seems to occur anywhere near Christmas, so I can't see any need for a catch-all greeting.

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

Is because snow won't stick upside down.

Before you bring it up, we all know footage of "Antarctica" is fake. Is a topical island.

What's the topic? Dyslexia?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

I've never run across hot cross buns outside of the period around Easter in any of the places I've lived in the US. Shame, because they are quite tasty!

--------------------
Siegfried

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've never run across hot cross buns outside of the period around Easter in any of the places I've lived in the US. Shame, because they are quite tasty!

do you not have currant buns? very like hot cross buns but without the cross on the top?
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016