homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » enough with the BBC Bowie coverage (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: enough with the BBC Bowie coverage
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I know Bowie was a great artist with a lot of fans, particularly amongst 50-something white men who work at the BBC.

But on the main flagship radio programme this morning, there was (a) the Archbishop of Canterbury discussing the possible disintegration of the Anglican Communion and (b) the Leader of the Opposition giving a major interview on policy.

The breathless Justin Webb and Nick Robinson couldn't help themselves but rush through the interviews to the important part: come on Justin, now then Jeremy, what we really want to know is what you have to say about this Bowie news.

They're hardly going to say "Oh, I thought his music was shite" are they?

Elsewhere almost every other story was squeezed by J and N trying to elbow in Bowie references. Hundreds of refugees in danger of freezing to death at the French channel ports? Sorry, we're short of time as you'll understand due to this breaking news situation... now, back to the Bowie coverage. Junior Doctors.. nope, nothing important to say there, let's remind our listeners of Bowie's greatest hits.

FWIW, I can understand the shock, but I think this totally over-saturated "news" coverage (when there isn't actually anything much to say beyond what the family have said on social media) is pretty pathetic. Shame on the BBC.

--------------------
arse

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ground Control to Major Tom …

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought exactly the same. Bowie was before my time. I understand he might have been important to some people, but, let us be honest, its not like he has the cultural significance of, say, Nigel Blackwell from Half Man Half Biscuit.

There was a lengthy interview with someone who had interviewed Bowie for 45 minutes back in 2002 (I think he said), and thus was treated with the sort of reverence normally reserved for the Dali Lama. I turned it off at this stage, so didn't hear 'Thought for the Day', but doubtless taught invoked his memory too.

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibaculus:
let us be honest, its not like he has the cultural significance of, say, Nigel Blackwell from Half Man Half Biscuit.

[Big Grin]

That's got to be one of the best non-tributes I've ever heard.

--------------------
arse

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great quote from the great man: I wrote about the highlights of my life, loneliness, anxiety, abandonment. Yes, he did. Thanks in abundance.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the person who started the relevant AS thread, I have to object.

Of course current affairs are current affairs, and looking at the UK daily paper front pages on the BBC is truly depressing, dedicated massively as they are to reality TV "celebrities".

And I'm not a massive Bowie fan.

But he was incontrovertibly a genuine and original artist. In a world of endless forwards, likes and retweets, there are too few of them around.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
its not like he has the cultural significance of, say, Nigel Blackwell from Half Man Half Biscuit.

Them's fightin' words.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
But on the main flagship radio programme this morning, there was (a) the Archbishop of Canterbury discussing the possible disintegration of the Anglican Communion and (b) the Leader of the Opposition giving a major interview on policy.

And David Bowie is probably more important to more people than either of them. His death is certainly bigger news than either.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that more people can name 10 Bowie songs than can name the current archbishop of Canterbury.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I turned it off at this stage, so didn't hear 'Thought for the Day', but doubtless taught invoked his memory too.

No, a straight down the line prayer for the Anglican communion as it happens, Bowie not even mentioned in passing.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
And David Bowie is probably more important to more people than either of them. His death is certainly bigger news than either.

I'm sure this is true, however it is like interviewing someone from the Environment Agency about the floods and at the end saying "So, what did you think of [insert popular celebrity show of the moment]?" on the basis that more people are interested in the show than the news.

There is absolutely no reason why the ABoC or Jeremy Corbyn should have an opinion worth repeating on national radio about the cultural influence of David Bowie.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is absolutely no reason why the ABoC or Jeremy Corbyn should have an opinion worth repeating on national radio about the cultural influence of David Bowie.

No. That way they can be criticised for being totally out of touch with contemporary culture [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
[QUOTE]No. That way they can be criticised for being totally out of touch with contemporary culture [Roll Eyes]

Does the 1970s count as 'contemporary?

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
]No. That way they can be criticised for being totally out of touch with contemporary culture [Roll Eyes]

Right, I see - so forcing public figures to have opinions on popular music, which may in fact not be to their taste - is entirely legitimate, is it?

You'd rather Corbyn and Welby made up some nice-sounding shit on the spot about someone they know nothing about - rather than being honest and asking people about the issue that they're actually there to be interviewed about, would you?

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

Sorry to break it to you, but he released a popular new album just weeks ago.

--------------------
arse

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bowie was extremely popular with young people who feel or felt like outsiders. Most people I know who are mourning him are young LGBT women/nonbinary people of various races. Yeah there are 50something white men but Bowie was much more universal than that.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
No. That way they can be criticised for being totally out of touch with contemporary culture [Roll Eyes]

I can't speak for the Labour Party, but I'm pretty sure it does in the church.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Right, I see - so forcing public figures to have opinions on popular music, which may in fact not be to their taste - is entirely legitimate, is it?

What pomona said. Whether you like him or not, ignorance of Bowie's influence on contemporary music and his resonance with particular subcultures indicates a troglodyte existence these past 50 years or so.

<pauses to put on "We can be heroes">

[ 11. January 2016, 11:53: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Yeah there are 50something white men

One I know well is doing 25 years for murder. He'll be devastated
[Votive]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

<pauses to put on "The Laughing Gnome">

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

<pauses to put on "The Laughing Gnome">
To me that's inextricably linked to "Junior Choice". I see Ed Stewart has just died too [Frown]

I did "Space Oddity" ŕ la "Secret Life of Walter Mitty" on my 12-string at an open mic night a couple of months back.

There's a big repertoire to choose from, isn't there?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's very disorienting. Not just a major cultural figure of the past 50 years, but surely one of the great English artists. He expressed the lacrimae rerum (the tears in things) more than anyone that I know. I often play 'Where are we now?', very haunting.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Besides, the papers wanted to know whose shirt Major Tom was wearing, so it seems only fair to quiz random figures about Bowie on t'radio...

--------------------

Hail Mary
Apprentice
# 18531

- Posted      Profile for Hail Mary   Email Hail Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Bowie was extremely popular with young people who feel or felt like outsiders. Most people I know who are mourning him are young LGBT women/nonbinary people of various races. Yeah there are 50something white men but Bowie was much more universal than that.

Perfectly said, Pomona, thank you.

[Votive]

--------------------
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I think that's right, he made it OK to be an outsider, or he helped turned outsider art into an English cultural phenomenon of great importance. Not the only one of course, and going beyond English to a world figure, or world artist.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am white, but neither fifty-something, nor male.

David Bowie was a bloody genius.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am also white but not 50something or male. Really really sad at the news.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alternative news channels are available.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
quote:
quote:

I can't speak for the Labour Party, but I'm pretty sure it does in the church.
I think you'll find the 1970s are the future.

Anyway, if you think this is bad, wait until McCartney goes...

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been watching TV for the past couple of hours and there hasn't been a single mention of Bowie. Maybe he didn't play snooker.

In fact, other than mentions on FB I would never have known.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I missing something about UK culture? An actual creative person, one of your own dies, it's not okay that your media attends to same? Was the attention to Diana your princess as awful for you?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I've been watching TV for the past couple of hours and there hasn't been a single mention of Bowie. Maybe he didn't play snooker.

You obviously don't listen to radio 4 then .... headline (1st up) on the 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock news
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I can be a right pain in the arse talking about injustice, but holy hell this is a ridiculous OP.

He's just died.

Every real problem not covered today because of his death will still be here tomorrow and still be in the news.

He remains a massively important figure in contemporary music even if he hadn't released anything in the last 30 years.

I'm not a massive Bowie fan, I like a few songs, but that is the extent. But he is one of the seminal figures in contemporary music despite my personal opinion of his music.

ETA: You do recognise the massive irony of starting this thread, no mr. cheesy?

[ 11. January 2016, 15:46: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

There was extensive coverage on BBC Breakfast (I'd guess about 10 mins per hour - which is almost as much as the coverage of flooding in Northern England and Scotland on some days over the last few weeks). Along with a 2-3 minute report on aid to Syria, 1-2 minutes on the man arrested in Ghana for the murder of an actress and some other news that didn't register.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
You do recognise the massive irony of starting this thread, no mr. cheesy?

If peace were to break out in the Middle East, me cheesy would find a way of whining about it.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Am I missing something about UK culture? An actual creative person, one of your own dies, it's not okay that your media attends to same? Was the attention to Diana your princess as awful for you?

Actually, there were complaints at the time, similarly when the Queen Mother died - people do *not* like their soaps being moved ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One does not need to be an overt fan of the late Mr. Bowie to appreciate the value of connection in society. He connected a great many through art, across decades and genres. To mourn so significant a connection, and thus help cement some remnant of that connection, is part of the fabric of civilization.

Basically, go fuck yourself cheesy.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

Basically, go fuck yourself cheesy.

Get some comprehension skills, freakface. I have no issues with people mourning a popular musician, I have issues when other important issues are brushed aside to maintain the decorum of saturation coverage on the BBC.

--------------------
arse

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The breathless Justin Webb and Nick Robinson couldn't help themselves but rush through the interviews to the important part: come on Justin, now then Jeremy, what we really want to know is what you have to say about this Bowie news.

A quote from the Archbishop:

“I’m very, very saddened to hear of his death.

I remember sitting listening to his songs endlessly in the ‘70s particularly and always really relishing what he was, what he did, the impact he had.”

Given the age of the Archbishop there is no reason not to take him at face value, unless you are given to never taking the utterings of Archbishops at face value. Equally touching tributes have come from higher officials in the Vatican as well.

While I probably wouldn’t say this about the office of Archbishop, there is no question in my mind that David Bowie has had a larger and more lasting cultural influence than any individual Archbishop in the last century--and I’m not even particularly crazy about his music.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

Given the age of the Archbishop there is no reason not to take him at face value, unless you are given to never taking the utterings of Archbishops at face value. Equally touching tributes have come from higher officials in the Vatican as well.

Right, but there is also no reason to suppose that a person of his age would have anything to say about David Bowie. The Archbish was not asked because he previously expressed a view nor did he volunteer the information, he was asked during an interview about something else altogether.

Even if Welby had a terrible dislike of this kind of music, he could hardly have said anything negative when put on the spot like that. It was fortunate that he actually had some good experiences to relate.

quote:
While I probably wouldn’t say this about the office of Archbishop, there is no question in my mind that David Bowie has had a larger and more lasting cultural influence than any individual Archbishop in the last century--and I’m not even particularly crazy about his music.
Possibly true, but also totally irrelevant to the point I'm making.

[ 11. January 2016, 16:22: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
David Bowie is probably more important to more people than either of them. His death is certainly bigger news than either.

Exactly.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

Given that one of the things you seemed to be concerned about was the breakup of the Anglican Communion, I doubt it is “irrelevant”, though perhaps tangential.

There is also no real reason to believe the Archbishop was put on the spot; we have no clue what kind of chit-chat took place off camera. Most of these interviews, while not exactly scripted, are at least outlined beforehand to a point that neither party is likely to be surprised by anything said.

In 50 years, few will remember who the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Leader of the Opposition were in 2016. They will still be listening to music by David Bowie and influenced by David Bowie.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

It was far worse. Have you any idea of the wall-to-wall coverage, the endless re-runs, the pull-out specials, the interviews, the speculation that went on, the floral tributes, the lengthy queues to sign books of condolences that sprung up everywhere (including my local Co-Op) or to add to the floral tributes, for weeks?

It's sad for Bowie's family and his fans but (and I may be alone in this) I think 8pp in tonight's Evening Standard is excessive.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:

And, your point is what?

As far as I can see the number of events in the UK and the world exceeds the time available for the BBC to report on all of them, which is also true every other day of the year. Therefore, the BBC editors make decisions on what stories they think will be of most interest to the majority of people and spend more time on those stories. Your complaint appears to be that the BBC editors don't phone you every morning to get your views on what stories to report. Because you clearly represent the entire audience of BBC news.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
You know, I can be a right pain in the arse talking about injustice, but holy hell this is a ridiculous OP.

He's just died.

Every real problem not covered today because of his death will still be here tomorrow and still be in the news.

He remains a massively important figure in contemporary music even if he hadn't released anything in the last 30 years.

Agree with this, except the last part. His last album dropped on Friday. And it's fucking brilliant. The one before that came out in 2013.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

The Beeb just did 20 minutes on him on their News Channel, and very good it was as well. It seems entirely appropriate as well to me, as Bowie is a major English artist, well, we could say a great English artist. We have to cherish them.

--------------------

anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There was a lengthy interview with someone who had interviewed Bowie for 45 minutes back in 2002 (I think he said), and thus was treated with the sort of reverence normally reserved for the Dali Lama.

This gem was followed by an interview with a woman who had lived with him for a few months in 1973 and hadn't seen him since.

The cultural importance of David Bowie is undeniable, but this morning's Today programme came across as a hot mess of "oh my goodness, my youth is over" from a couple of middle aged men who should have known better.

A decent obituary would have been great. Put it in as the first headline every bulletin, that's fine, that's an editorial choice. But three hours of this "OMG I loved Bowie sooooooo much, good morning Mr Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition, how much did you love David Bowie?" nonsense was pathetic.

Anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
And, your point is what?

My point is exactly as Anne expresses above.

[ 11. January 2016, 16:50: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless political figure interviews are more informative in the UK, I would expect talking about David Bowie would be much more interesting.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
And, your point is what?

My point is exactly as Anne expresses above.
And, as I said earlier there are other news channels. You don't have to watch the BBC News all day.

Personally, most of my BBC News comes from the website. Where I pick what to read instead of following what an editor thinks would be the best way to fill the slot between 6 and 6.30.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016