homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » School proms (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: School proms
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I do wish we still had a TICTH thread, because I this would be putting school proms on it.
My cleaner has a teenage daughter who has a school prom in June. Lisa reckons that it's going to cost almost £900 for all that her daughter expects - a beautician to do her makeup, a mobile hair dresser, a limo to take her and her friends, and a couple of hundred pounds for a dress which will be worn once.
The peer pressure is immense.
Whist Lisa was telling me all this, I was getting really angry. We live in a depressed area, but young people are being taught to expect this.
Where has this "prom" thing come from? It's fairly new in this country, and where is the sense of the schools in promoting it?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I'm glad we don't have this tradition.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When did this awful prom thing find its way over the Atlantic?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Halloween, St Patrick's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and baby showers, it's an imported custom. But people wouldn't do it if they didn't want it. Grandparents Day hasn't caught on, at least, not so you'd notice.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A minority of girls spent several hundred at my kids' school, but the school (hurrah!) provided a bus from school to venue and forbade limos.

My daughter had been a bridesmaid a few months earlier and so was able to recycle her bridesmaid's frock and her best friend bought one second hand from E-bay for £50.

Has your cleaner asked other parents what they are spending? Or is she taking her daughter's word for it that "everybody" is spending hundreds? There was a huge variation with us between the highest spenders and the lowest.

We spent just under £100, of which £35 was the cost of the dinner itself, and £15 was the formal photo.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have her watch Pretty in Pink. . Even better, instead of blaming the "Yanks" for another cultural import, your friend can explain to her daughter that she is not going to get everything she wants. What a novel concept.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't aware these existed outside the US. Here it's a tradition at pretty much all high schools dating back some time into the last century--at least the 1950s. You're welcome, I guess?

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
y
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Oh I do wish we still had a TICTH thread, because I this would be putting school proms on it.
My cleaner has a teenage daughter who has a school prom in June. Lisa reckons that it's going to cost almost £900 for all that her daughter expects - a beautician to do her makeup, a mobile hair dresser, a limo to take her and her friends, and a couple of hundred pounds for a dress which will be worn once.
Whist Lisa was telling me all this, I was getting really angry. We live in a depressed area, but young people are being taught to expect this.
Where has this "prom" thing come from? It's fairly new in this country, and where is the sense of the schools in promoting it?

£900? Bollocks to that. Maybe this is an opportunity for the girl to start learning that life is full of disappointments.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Like Halloween, St Patrick's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and baby showers, it's an imported custom. But people wouldn't do it if they didn't want it. Grandparents Day hasn't caught on, at least, not so you'd notice.

Yeh like. Ever heard of cultural expectation and peer pressure stoked by commercial interests? It's only loveless bastards like me who shun flower shops on Valentine's.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Wow, I'm glad we don't have this tradition.

Yet.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes Proms are a tradition in American High Schools but spending 900pounds isn't. You have only yourselves to blame for that. Actually Proms spring from the whole debutante-coming out idea and I believe that started in England before it headed west across the pond.

I went to my Junior and Senior proms and didn't spend anything on the first one and exactly 30 dollars on the second one. Granted that was a long time ago, but still. The first time I wore my cousin's old dress. We did our own hair and make-up and if a seventeen year old girl hasn't learn to do that, now would be a good time. Professionals tend to make young girls look like 35 year-old hookers so why go there?

Limos are a ridiculous frill that no one needs. Girls can lose their virginity just as easily in the boy's father's Buick.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an attempt to have a 'Prom' at the school my children attended: parents were canvassed for views and I, and all of the parents I know, replied that we thought it was a waste of time, effort and money.

The school decided to go ahead anyway but as the day drew closer it became very apparent that the only people who wanted it was a group of very vocal girls and their mothers; the boys, in particular, were pretty anti the whole thing.

Anyway, end result was entertaining, though perhaps not as imagined by the Prom supporters: virtually all the boys insisted on going alone, if they went at all, and flatly refused to dress up. The catering, done by the vocal girls' mothers, was catastrophic and under-done chicken resulted in lots of children being unwell with several hospitalised.

The experiment wasn't repeated.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had proms inflicted on us (and honestly, what the hell's wrong with a school disco?).

Miss Tor found a dress for £60 (which she's worn more than once) and the tickets were iirc £20. We've another prom coming up for the end of 6th form, but she's already got another dress (£50, and her grandmother paid for it).

Sigh.

Master Tor didn't go to his post-GCSE prom. We stayed in and watched some dvds. Much more his scene.

But some people spent nigh-on a grand for their offspring. We simply don't have the money for that, and Miss Tor knows it. She cuts her cloth accordingly. Wise girl.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I asked my son to estimate the percentage of girls spending hundreds of pounds at his Prom; he guessed that 50% were spending lavishly, (though not £900!) but 50% were borrowing dresses, doing their own make up etc.

I really think that Lisa should ask around other parents; I find it hard to believe that many are spending £900 on one Prom.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are associated with high school graduation here in western Canada and traditionally called "grad". The imported "prom" label has been more common as of late, but then so is the term "hoodie" for "bunny hug" (hoodie being slang for an uncircumcised penis).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

Limos are a ridiculous frill that no one needs. Girls can lose their virginity just as easily in the boy's father's Buick.

Most European cars are much smaller than a Buick.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Most European cars are much smaller than a Buick.
But still large enough, one presumes, to transport two people safely, and even as suggested, room for a quick romp as well if the mood strikes.

With my daughter we just gave her a budget (and yes, far less than $900). Some years she blew it all on a dress and did her own hair, make up, and dad's car. Other years she borrowed a dress or recycled an old one and was able to go to the hairdressers (never a "mobile" hairdresser, though) for a fancy 'do. I'm a big fan of the budget approach-- give them a reasonable amount of money and let the kid decide which aspects are most important to him or her, and where to skimp/save.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doc Tor: (and honestly, what the hell's wrong with a school disco?).
Disco.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes Proms are a tradition in American High Schools but spending 900pounds isn't. You have only yourselves to blame for that. Actually Proms spring from the whole debutante-coming out idea and I believe that started in England before it headed west across the pond.

I went to my Junior and Senior proms and didn't spend anything on the first one and exactly 30 dollars on the second one. Granted that was a long time ago, but still. The first time I wore my cousin's old dress. We did our own hair and make-up and if a seventeen year old girl hasn't learn to do that, now would be a good time. Professionals tend to make young girls look like 35 year-old hookers so why go there?

Steph Curry could do no better.
[Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are the parents paying? When I had my school formal, I spent my own savings on a (cheap) dress, getting my hair done, and chipping in for a group limo. And I did my makeup myself. It's a good lesson for teens in budgeting.

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neighbor's (male) kid said he was going to hire a limo for the prom. Neighbor said "Fine; how are you going to pay for it?" and had nothing to do with it, no loaning a credit card, no calling to make the reservations. The kid got together wiih friends and they rented a limo together.

Kids old enough to go to a prom are old enough to earn their own prom costs and figure out how to make their dreams affordable.

If parents want to chip in, fine, but I would make it a stated amount not an open ended wording like "a dress" that could end up costing 10 times what you had in mind.

One friend offered $200 and pointed out if the girl bought or borrowed a used dress, she'd have money to do some other things - buy some shoes, or stock up on makeup, or take a few friends to a movie. The gift was not "a prom dress" but $200 which could be used for anything.

900? Outrageous.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a senior in high school (back before electricity and automobiles) a group of us spent prom evening at a boardwalk amusement park and had a great time with no dresses, corsages, limos, hair stylists, etc. Monday morning the kids who had gone to the prom complained about bad food, a lousy band, etc., etc. We just smiled.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when I were a lass, we just celebrated by going to the pub (we had to make sure we went into the other bar from where the teachers were celebating).

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an opportunity for a few children and their parents to boast. At the college local to my dad, some even arrived in helicopters.

I'd suggest (and this is what the Misses Mark all did) is to wear the best clothes you have, accept the snide comments and just enjoy yourself.

They'll be the ones payinga few hundred ppunds for a night out - you'll get it for much less and you'll both be at the same function.

[ 22. January 2016, 06:42: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a prom at school, but at the end of 6th form ( a levels- so when we were 18 rather than what seems to be becoming more common of one at end of gcses and each year after that.

I did buy a new dress for it, but I seem to recall it costing about £40 ( this was 2004), and made a shawl, mostly because that was a nice thing to do on Sunday afternoon with mum.

Tickets were maybe £20-£25 but that included a fairly sizeable meal, and the run of a local historical house and garden.

I think the majority in my year attended, and a fair proportion, but not all, and very few of my friends, brought dates ( we were an all girls school)

A few did hire cars, my friends and I arranged a group car pool with two willing dads. The evening was great fun but because it was a night with friends, not because it was some huge fancy affair.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Though having dad upfront driving said Buick would inhibit things.

But, the limo driver would also probably do the same.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder whether the lavish "prom" has come about because young ladies are less likely to have a wedding for many years (if ever), and so this is an alternative opportunity to dress up, be pampered, show themselves off to their best? As mentioned above, the "Season" is no longer a thing, which removed another opportunity for the more society ladies.

But I do think the expected excesses are ridiculous. Our two had something more akin to an end of year disco, which was low key and, while there was an expectation of dressing up smartly, it was not the rappers wet dream that seems to be expected by some. It was an opportunity to get them some reasonable, smart clothes that they have worn a few times since.

However, I do have boys.

I like the idea of giving a fixed amount of money - that reflects the celebratory aspect, but not the "give me everything" aspect. If they want to spend more, they can earn it. And yes, I expect they will complain loudly that "you never give me anything. I hate you". I would reduce the amount by a tenner for each outburst, personally.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
Yeh like. Ever heard of cultural expectation and peer pressure stoked by commercial interests? It's only loveless bastards like me who shun flower shops on Valentine's.

Yes, I'd taken that for granted as a built-in factor. If you present something attractively people will usually buy it. Then their friends (or in this case, children) will want it. Until it becomes the norm. Proms are likely here to stay and will probably become more and more competitive, in the same way as children's parties.

[ 22. January 2016, 07:28: Message edited by: Ariel ]

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
£900 (c. $1250)?

Sounds to me rather like Lisa is asking for a pity-me handout.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

About 15 years ago. It has grown to crazy proportions since.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

In much the same way that the Wedding Industry took off in 1981, after Charles aand Diana's wedding.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teenagers? They've missed out if they've had to wait that long! I remember being amazed to read about infant school proms, every bit as grand as the senior school ones!

The whole competitive parent thing can get quite out of hand. Perhaps children should be given an either/or choice: mum can either afford to give them a computer/new bike or a prom experience lasting one day. But not both. If nothing else, it will be good life experience for the inevitable 'posh wedding lasting one day or lump sum towards your first house' dilemma....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My school invented proms (or something similar) just after I left. The reasoning wasn't 'aping the Americans' but something rather less edifying.

My school was a 'good' school but a tradition of low-grade mischief-making had developed on the last day before we left at 16/18 (chucking eggs mostly - although someone once managed to get the school into the local paper by hiding a tape recording of something indecent inside the school organ, timed to go off during assembly). The argument was that since it was our last day anyway, as long as we didn't do anything that merited actual expulsion there were no sanctions the staff could apply against us.

In my year the staff combatted this by simply not telling us when our last day would be - we were expecting to break up on a Friday, and on Wednesday we were all summoned and told to go home.

After I left, the school decided that holding a celebration for the last day would create a less adversarial atmosphere, and presumably also give the staff an extra sanction against naughty boys.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:

Key word is "expects". I suspect what's going on is peers expressing wishes as if realities for boasting rights, but the realities will be less than expressed. The peers simply aren't admitting in public that their dress is borrowed from an aunt and the hairdo is done by a friend.

Peer pressure is often about appearances, not realities. Trouble arises when some gullible or literal-minded teen believes the boasting.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a bonfire on the shingle beach, swam a bit (mostly in cozzies) and burned our school uniform brown knickers and brown and green ties.

At college, we had a run in with the Principal who wanted to stop the last night madnesses, and all, except one, whose father complained, and I, who negotiated since I had already negotiated staying on for family reasons, were sent down. Only a few had done anything at all naughty, but there you go. Strangely, this never appeared on anyone's records.

What really got my goat about this was that said Principal, having lost her cool at 2 in the morning, understandably, then tripped merrily to non-denominational Communion in the morning, where I saw her and thought how good it was that we could share together after the ructions of the night. And then, called the President of the Student's Union in and issued her damning rulings which were utterly vindictive.

[ 22. January 2016, 14:08: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
We had a bonfire on the shingle beach, swam a bit (mostly in cozzies) and burned our school uniform brown knickers and brown and green ties.

At college, we had a run in with the Principal who wanted to stop the last night madnesses, and all, except one, whose father complained, and I, who negotiated since I had already negotiated staying on for family reasons, were sent down. Only a few had done anything at all naughty, but there you go. Strangely, this never appeared on anyone's records.

What really got my goat about this was that said Principal, having lost her cool at 2 in the morning, understandably, then tripped merrily to non-denominational Communion in the morning, where I saw her and thought how good it was that we could share together after the ructions of the night. And then, called the President of the Student's Union in and issued her damning rulings which were utterly vindictive.

Vindictive is the word! Starting with the school uniform of brown knickers and brown and green ties.
[Tear]

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that schools have to compete against each other, most put on a prom because kids would choose another school otherwise.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

In much the same way that the Wedding Industry took off in 1981, after Charles and Diana's wedding.
At least you can't blame that on Americans.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Touchy.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the daughter 'expects' it to cost £900, then the mother can jolly well 'expect' the daughter to pay for it out of money the daughter's worked for!

It's a pernicious tradition that, round here, is even permeating to primary school level: the school which our three kids attend is having a 'Leavers' Prom' for Year 6s (our eldest boy's year) in the summer and I am making it clear to him that, whilst I'm happy to chip in a few bob of my own, any further outlay has got to be funded by his nibs, either from saved pocket money or from money earned by him volunteering for extra chores between now and then. The same rule will apply to my daughter and younger son when they get to this stage, and indeed to any subsequent events during their teenage years.

My sons, being boys, aren't terribly interested in the concept; my daughter on the other hand loves any excuse to dress up and Mrs B and I are therefore looking forward to doing fuck all round the house over the next 2+ years whilst she works as our paid domestic skivvy #whatminimumwage? [Devil]

[ 22. January 2016, 16:46: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Now that schools have to compete against each other, most put on a prom because kids would choose another school otherwise.

Really? There are a significant number of families who would chose the school where their children are going to spend several years of their lives based on the quality of the end-of-school party?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eldest Rogueling's transport to his prom was a narrow boat that a friend's parents owned. I waved to them as I cycled home from work and they changed into smart clothes when they arrived. A few beers were drunk on the way and at the venue and the total cost was about a tenner each. They had fun.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Like Halloween, St Patrick's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and baby showers, it's an imported custom. But people wouldn't do it if they didn't want it.

Unless you are specifically separating England from the rest of the U.K., Halloween is home grown. Except for the commercialism, you'd be hard put to find something America invented in its celebration. St. Patrick's day requires ignoring Northern Ireland as celebrations of St. Patrick predate the creation of N.I.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really? I don't remember it in my childhood.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

Like anything, there are periods where things fall from favour. Doesn't mean they never existed. A quick web search will find the references.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

Vindictive is the word! Starting with the school uniform of brown knickers and brown and green ties.
[Tear]

This was two separate establishments. (I have carefully avoided the descriptive word of the brown where navy or bottle would be applied to other colours.)

The odd thing was that in both establishments the person in charge when I joined had been of the generation brought up on the principles of Miss Beale and Miss Buss and a dedication to the education of women, and who had had an enlightened view of what would happen at the end of term. Both were succeeded by career building women who weren't and didn't and were of the opinion that if you want something slightly disordered to stop, you ban it, and expect obedience.

The college one had had a bad start with her appointment being opposed because she had come from South Africa. Instead of standing up before the college and explaining that she had come from there because she could not continue in complicity with apartheidt, she stayed silent on the subject.

When the college closed down, she had revenge. Or so it was explained to me. There were offers made by both the nearby newish University, and a poly or technical college - not sure what its status was. Despite most of the staff wanting to join the Uni, she used her veto to merge with the lesser establishment, which then closed down all the buildings and establishment. She would probably not have been on the same end of the political spectrum as the Uni, which had a reputation.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hallowe'en certainly existed in my English childhood. We carved jack-o-lanterns out of swedes, and there may have occasionally been a party.

It was a very low-key thing, though - the shops didn't have racks of Hallowe'en merchandise, and we would never have banged on random doors to solicit sweets.

I didn't encounter trick-or-treating until I was an adult living in London. Some of the local kids turned up with carrier bags hoping for chocolate. As I recall, we invited them in and gave them slices of cake.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My Dad tells me stories about his church boys' brigade 'meeting Lord Nelson' at Hallowe'en.

One boy would be blindfolded and then be invited to touch his stump. (Someone's bare elbow.)

Then they would be invited to touch his eye socket. (A hollowed out tangerine.)

I don't remember what else was involved but I'm sure it was equally Christian ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
the school which our three kids attend is having a 'Leavers' Prom' for Year 6s (our eldest boy's year)

When I was that age, we had a "school disco" at school, in the school hall. Nobody bought special clothes or anything, though.

My senior school had a leavers' ball (rented dinner jackets and posh frocks), but I don't think anyone would have paid to have their hair and makeup done. I didn't go - the school disco has never really been my idea of fun. I don't regret not going, either.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

For Halloween, we did apple bobbing at Guides. Also attempting to eat buns hung on a rope across the room.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016