homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Who the hell invented hail? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Who the hell invented hail?
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
We are all in the gutters, but thanks to holes in the roof some of us are looking at the stars.

You have indoor gutters? Do you have other features of street architecture? Are you in fact living in an urban tent?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was talking with a Scottish friend yesterday about the storm you were having there. In his strong accent (which I always have difficulty understanding), he told me that when he was young during a storm somewhere on the Scottish highlands, they felt a bit chilly. They looked up and discovered that part of the roof was blowing off. So they sat down, poured themselves a whisky and looked at the clouds.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Because they like playing old English games?

Speaking of old English sports! Hello Darth Nightlamp.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, great, Rook reminding me of my age.

Thanks for the welcome, it is good to be posting again.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A late friend who was a builder/ carpenter/undertaker reckoned that if a building's gutters fell into disrepair then the building itself would eventually follow.
We used to live in a thatched farmhouse that had no gutters and only leaked on rare occasions. It saw many a storm and severe weather and the only problem latterly was getting decent quality reed with which to maintain it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that devastating bout of twisted logic which has precisely nothing to do with my house.

If you like, I can come around to any house of your choosing with immaculately maintained gutters, form a dam of ice and freshly picked leaves in it, then we can pour some water in and watch what happens.

Unless, of course, you believe that a homeowner ought really be outside in the middle of a hail storm, knocking away the stones and debris as and when they arrive.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If blocked gutters cause interior flooding, there is a failure on more levels than simply the gutters themselves. A well-designed home should account for such an occurrence. Lot grading, secondary drainage, weather sealing at the gradeline are just a few. Presuming you have any control over these, they might be issues to address when time/resources are available.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right! I shall go around seeing to it that the tiles are completely impermeable such that, if the intended downward path of water suddenly ceases to be available, the water will rise up over the tiles and run down them with no possibility of it going between them.

Then I shall sit inside and suffocate.

PS You might want to work on this in the UK a bit. Your rivers have this bizarre habit lately of overflowing and going places they're not supposed to. Poor engineering if you ask me.

[ 06. February 2016, 23:14: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Right! I shall go around seeing to it that the tiles are completely impermeable such that, if the intended downward path of water suddenly ceases to be available, the water will rise up over the tiles and run down them with no possibility of it going between them.

Just trying to offer some help. However, if all you came down here for was to whinge, carry on.

quote:

PS You might want to work on this in the UK a bit. Your rivers have this bizarre habit lately of overflowing and going places they're not supposed to. Poor engineering if you ask me.

It kinda is. And poor planning, to some extent as well.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, what a great thread.

Can I try? [Devil]

Today I Call to Hell....

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

Can I try? [Devil]

Today I Call to Hell....

Not sure what pharmaceutical you have been using as of late, but you either need to cut back or do a lot more.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

Can I try? [Devil]

Today I Call to Hell....

Dude, this is not about you and your petty little problems, This is about Orfeo and the apparent vendetta the entire material world has against him at the moment. Gutters, CD players, even the weather! Geez, which Elder God did he piss off?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It wouldn't be a bad idea to explore different options for reducing the problem. My parents always got a lot of leaves on the roof in autumn, and to prevent them blocking the gutters they installed leaf-guards on the gutters - which are an arch of spines running along the gutter, the leaves stick to the top of the arch but water can still flow underneath without carrying the leaves with it to form a blockage in the downpipe. That's one example, whether it will help your situation is going to depend on the particular nature of the guttering.

But, wringing your hands saying there's nothing you can do to stop it, and whinging on an internet bulletin board are not going to stop the water coming in the next time there is a hail storm.

quote:
Indeed. Part of it is that the water is going where it's supposed to, but some idiots went and built houses there. Part of it is that there are places upstream where the water was supposed to go, but other idiots channeled the streams to prevent their grouse moors getting too wet.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

It wouldn't be a bad idea to explore different options for reducing the problem. My parents always got a lot of leaves on the roof in autumn, and to prevent them blocking the gutters they installed leaf-guards on the gutters - which are an arch of spines running along the gutter, the leaves stick to the top of the arch but water can still flow underneath without carrying the leaves with it to form a blockage in the downpipe. That's one example, whether it will help your situation is going to depend on the particular nature of the guttering.

But, wringing your hands saying there's nothing you can do to stop it, and whinging on an internet bulletin board are not going to stop the water coming in the next time there is a hail storm.

No, I know it isn't. And I know about gutterguards. But is there such a thing as a guard for the... what are we calling it... valley that actually blocked?

I've never seen one. I've only ever seen gutterguards for gutters.

This whole notion that EVERYTHING is preventable and ought to be prevented is one that I find problematic. It's certainly one of the things that leads to excessive government regulation, as immortalised in my favourite Onion video which I've cited here more than once before.

Sure, I suppose I could prevent leaves ever being blown across to the other side of the roof after they've been stripped by a hailstorm by cutting down the tree, but what if next time the wind's coming from a different direction? And how far around my house should I cut down all trees?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Geez, which Elder God did he piss off?

Dare I hope we will be hearing from one of them soon?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You might want to work on this in the UK a bit.
Naah - in the UK your roof would leak too. You're right - you're screwed. Even if it was felted in something impermeable under the battens, the joints in the felt / rubber sheet ( [Big Grin] ) would assume that flow would follow gravity, so water 'backing up' would get you every time. Even crimped-up continuous steel roof coverings (like on our church...there's a tale of woe) have gaps where elevations meet at valleys. That's where the water gets in, and allows churches to be farmed for £352k of professional and legal fees to tell them so, without any remedial work taking place!

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And I know about gutterguards. But is there such a thing as a guard for the... what are we calling it... valley that actually blocked?

I just Googled "roof valley leaf guard", FYI. Often a useful way of answering an "is there such a thing as ..." type questions.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Not all things are preventable. Much of the time damage limitation is the best we can strive for.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep in mind that this is a person who was supporting some interior feature of his home with a broom, and no indication of whether this was a temporary measure. And don't forget the whole Tori Amos affinity. We can't expect too much from him.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:

Unless, of course, you believe that a homeowner ought really be outside in the middle of a hail storm, knocking away the stones and debris as and when they arrive.

When SE England had a freak wind storm in 87 it was famously mis-forcast. Had it been correctly forcast and various sensational warnings thrown around it is reckoned many people would have come to grief trying to protect their properties .

I would hate to think of you up a ladder in the middle of the night battling against hailstones, especially if they're coming down at a hell of a rate and are the size of quetz's testicles

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hums

Snow can wait
I forgot my mittens
Wipe my nose
Get my new boots on
I get a little warm in my heart
When I think of winter....

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
especially if they're coming down at a hell of a rate and are the size of quetz's testicles

Oh, I think Orfeo can handle a shower of M&Ms...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE] But is there such a thing as a guard for the... what are we calling it... valley that actually blocked?

Yes, there is - just look at the roof of D Towers, or of our house down the coast. Talk to your gutterguard person.

[ 08. February 2016, 09:04: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Hums

Snow can wait
I forgot my mittens
Wipe my nose
Get my new boots on
I get a little warm in my heart
When I think of winter....

Ooh. Haven't listened to that one for a while. She sang it live in Brisbane in November 2014 at the very end of the world tour, got everyone to sing along it was magic. And did you know it's partly based on one of Rachmaninov's piano pieces?

[/fanboy]

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The fanboy routine will never end.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Funny how I'm not the one who actually brings up Tori Amos, though, isn't it? I don't have to. People do it for me.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Brings uo, or throws up?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

You sad little vindictive man. I pity you.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Little as an insult?
Heightist.
I hope the velcro on your feet loses its effectiveness and you fall off the underside of the planet.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Oh, I think Orfeo can handle a shower of M&Ms...

[Big Grin] you crack me up Kelly.

To be fair on quetz I am guilty of embellishment for comic effect. Closer inspection of the post on on the comparative size of hailstones reveals it actually said "testcles" without actual mention of ownership.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Little as an insult?
Heightist.
I hope the velcro on your feet loses its effectiveness and you fall off the underside of the planet.

What, you mean the discovery that flying insects are nesting in my bedroom window frame isn't punishment enough?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
Little as an insult?
Heightist.

What, you mean the discovery that flying insects are nesting in my bedroom window frame isn't punishment enough?
Not really. Not unless they are carrying a virus that makes your body purchase Pat Boone's In a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy, every track by the Insane Clown Posse and the collective works of Patrice Wilson and play them on an endless loop.

Those who use heightist slurs deserve no mercy.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

I sense you may not be tall.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I think that was the album that lost Boone his gig as March of Dimes spokesman, for a while. And IIRC he received a music award, wearing a bad-boy, leather outfit.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

I am of perfectly normal size, thank you so kindly. Unlike the pituitary cases I seem constantly surrounded by.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

I am of perfectly normal size, thank you so kindly. Unlike the pituitary cases I seem constantly surrounded by.
Ah well, I look forward to you changing your name to "normal-sized Buddha" at the next opportunity.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

Missed a qualifier, perhaps? Like: perfectly normal size, for the Shire.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People comparing their sizes on page three of a Hell thread. It's almost like the old days.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

You want in on this, you syrup-sucking, wannabe hipster? Comb the crumbs of your $$$ panko encrusted, habanero-passionfuit donut out of your "ironic" handelbar mustache, finish your organic, gluten-free, vegan, fair trade, single bean, Chemex coffee, mount your penny farthing and scram.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Or, perhaps this is the normal size for a Buddha?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Or, perhaps this is the normal size for a Buddha?

That was created to minister to the over-sized in a language they could understand

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Alan Cresswell: Or, perhaps this is the normal size for a Buddha?
They're normally a bit fatter.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Alan Cresswell: Or, perhaps this is the normal size for a Buddha?
They're normally a bit fatter.
The link pictures Gautama Buddha, the source of Buddhism.* You are thinking of Budai.

*Yeah, it is more complicated than that, but...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I've seen statues of rather fat Buddha's in Thailand.

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I have seen a rather thin Buddha statue in Lahore Museum, Pakistan. Fasting Buddha

It seems that Buddha comes in all shapes and sizes...

[ 10. February 2016, 19:13: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I've never seen a fat Buddha that isn't Budai. This is true of Thailand to the best of my knowledge. The starving Buddha represents his ascetic period before he came to enlightenment.

ETA: In some traditions, Budai will become the next Buddha.

[ 10. February 2016, 19:59: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

You want in on this, you syrup-sucking, wannabe hipster? Comb the crumbs of your $$$ panko encrusted, habanero-passionfuit donut out of your "ironic" handelbar mustache, finish your organic, gluten-free, vegan, fair trade, single bean, Chemex coffee, mount your penny farthing and scram.
RooK, you grew a mustache since we met? I can't see it suiting.
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ooh. Haven't listened to that one for a while. She sang it live in Brisbane in November 2014 at the very end of the world tour, got everyone to sing along it was magic. And did you know it's partly based on one of Rachmaninov's piano pieces?

[/fanboy]

I actually spent two hours listening to youtube clips after googling that. She is pretty good actually. But no Diana Krall who I saw last night...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've never seen a fat Buddha that isn't Budai.

Does this help?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
You want in on this

Oh, yes please. Because orfeo has stopped rising to my taunts.

quote:
you syrup-sucking
Oh, cute! A vague attempt to nod at my Canuckistanni heritage. There's not a whole lot of syrup production in the rocky mountains where I'm from, but at least you tried.

quote:
wannabe hipster? Comb the crumbs of your $$$ panko encrusted, habanero-passionfuit donut out of your "ironic" handelbar mustache, finish your organic, gluten-free, vegan, fair trade, single bean, Chemex coffee, mount your penny farthing and scram.
Oh, you've heard of Portland, then?

It would be hypocritical of me to put up too much of a defense for all those trend-obsessed tight-pants-wearing micro-brewing unicyclists considering how much shit I fling them daily. Still, I do think that PDX is one of my favourite cities, and there's no denying that all the fantastic restaurants are probably strongly associated to the hipsterati.

Also, it would be incorrect to deny the 'stache. Though, it only grows in Movember, and is currently in remission.

This is where I suddenly twist the conversation to use my momentum to spike back some sort of incisive suggestion about a psychological flaw you hadn't realized you exposed. Except that, apparently, I'm too happy talking about myself and I honestly haven't paid enough attention to know anything about you. My bad.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016