homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Sanders supporters (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Sanders supporters
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Beeswax Altar: Did you really think I was going to accept that you had refuted a point you had not refuted simply because you said you refuted it?
What I'm expecting you to do is to continue ignoring my arguments and say "Democrats don't care about climate change, because they don't offer enough in exchange" again. In fact, I'd bet money on it that you will. It's all you're capable of.

I have made numerous counter-arguments refuting your bullshit. If you think my refutations are false, you should answer them. But you can't.

quote:
Beeswax Altar: You do have quite the overinflated ego. Don't want to take that from you
My ego isn't overinflated by saying that I'm better than you. I am better than you. It's a low bar to clear.

[ 23. February 2016, 21:00: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've offered jack shit as counter argument.

Go ahead and tell yourself whatever it takes to make it through the night.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Beeswax Altar: Go ahead and tell yourself whatever it takes to make it through the night.
Pouring myself another glass of Lacrima lui Ovidiu and sparing myself a fleeting thought "this guy is dumb" will do just fine, thank you.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good... I was worried.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Oh...so....you now agree that Trump would be able to get more of his agenda through congress than Sanders?

No, that's not at all what I said. In fact, I said the opposite-- that I hoped his inexperience in dealing with Congress would prevent him from getting his agenda passed:

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

Of course, were Trump actually to be elected, his inexperience in making deals with Congress (which, I would suggest, is vastly different than making business deals) could be an advantage-- given that the sort of deals he'd be attempting to make would be disastrous to the country. Could be one time when having an obstructionist legislature could be a real plus.

I probably should have clarified that I meant it would be an "advantage" to the country, not to Trump.

[ 23. February 2016, 22:14: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't the normal way to do deals in congress to allocate funds / job creation projects to the district of the representative whose vote you want ? At which point principled opposition can tend to evaporate.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fact Democrats haven't made any major offer says they don't care about it. Climate change is a unique issue. One side believes it's happening that humans are causing it and unless we do something about fast millions of not billions of people will die. The other side does not.

This is wrong. The other side has a vested interest in denying climate change. Just as tobacco companies fight cancer proofs, asbestos companies covered the deaths of their own employees, etc.
Money now is more important than the future of anything else.

ETA:Your ability to frame an argument is equal to your ability to properly attribute quotes, apparently.

[ 24. February 2016, 07:31: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
originally posted by orfeo:
Oh bullshit. What exactly are you proposing they could possibly be offered in order for them to stop fighting the culture war?

Climate change is not a culture war issue.
Like hell it isn't. It's a classic demonstration of what happens when people who are comfortable and happy with their lot in life get told that their behaviour is actually causing a problem and that change is required. The problem is externalised, and if that doesn't work the problem is denied and the messenger is attacked.

This is no different to when men are told that their comfortable life is adversely affecting women, or straight people are told their standard of 'normal' is no good for homosexuals, or Christians are told the world doesn't revolve around them and actually the founding fathers had no intention of preferring their religion.

It's variations of the same conservative, privileged notion: things were great for me, why put me through all the pain of changing?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Isn't the normal way to do deals in congress to allocate funds / job creation projects to the district of the representative whose vote you want ? At which point principled opposition can tend to evaporate.

Actually, this issue is a lesson in unintended consequences. In the past that was exactly how things were done (see movie Lincoln for how Lincoln's generous use of this strategy led to the Emancipation Proclamation). It got to the point that this sort of "pork barrel" politics was perceived to be a driving force in the deficit. John McCain in particular made it a priority to introduce legislation to limit pork barrel spending-- and eventually he succeeded. The unintended consequence was that now it's significantly harder to get legislation thru a divided Congress.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fëanor
Shipmate
# 14514

- Posted      Profile for Fëanor   Email Fëanor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realize hell is hardly the place for data, but this article is a pretty handy summary of why complaints about "bernie bros" tend to be light on facts and heavy on the outrage.
Posts: 177 | From: Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather thought American polititicians, like many others, had learnt a long while back the Green politics is tantamount to political suicide.

We the masses are right worried about being under water in 50 yrs time. Do any of us want to give our cars, jet travel and the whole consumer binge bit? Answer--- Nope.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016