homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Jeremy Hunt (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Jeremy Hunt
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are a vile, unprincipled, pile of shit.

You slagged off teachers as education fuckwit, and now you are slagging off junior doctors as health fuckwit.

Please die.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He is an extraordinary piece of work. There can't be many people who haven't enjoyed the appropriately-named James Naughtie's famous Freudian slip live on Radio 4, but in case there are, click and enjoy.

[ 11. February 2016, 18:37: Message edited by: David Goode ]

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bastard will go into history as he who ruined the NHS.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twitter is less than fully appreciative of his efforts. And his Wiki page has been having an exciting time.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The wiki page is probably going to be protected soon.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Goode:
He is an extraordinary piece of work.

He's a piece of work not much thought has gone into.
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
The wiki page is probably going to be protected soon.

Already done!
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that he has announced an inquiry into low morale among junior doctors in the NHS.

Can anyone help him with this?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I see that he has announced an inquiry into low morale among junior doctors in the NHS.

I expect it will be as independent as the plan to cope with the strikes, chaired by Sir Bruce Keogh, which turned out to be packed with Health department officials.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

I am sure that the problem is, they are paid too much.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tinyurl.com/jeremyhunt

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you expect? He is the tool (I use the term advisedly) of a Party whose aim is to destroy public services and replace them with schemes which will yield profits for private companies. He will be rewarded with political advancement (but, alas, not an eternity in hellfire much as I would at this point like to believe in such a thing).

Oh, btw, in case you missed it, G Osborne and his son were flown to the Superbowl sponsored by, I believe, Google.

Excuse me, I have a can of worms I need to look at for light relief.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked James Blunt`s tweet:
quote:

@JamesBlunt

I'm officially handing over my Cockney Rhyming title to @Jeremy_Hunt
2:08 PM - 11 Feb 2016

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today Hunt published a letter supporting his imposing a contract, which had been endorsed by 25 NHS CEOs.

This evening the news is breaking that in fact the CEOs signed a completely different letter from the one published, and most do not in fact support imposing a contract.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... G Osborne and his son ...

You mean he's spawned? Dear God! the world is in peril.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Today Hunt published a letter supporting his imposing a contract, which had been endorsed by 25 NHS CEOs.

This evening the news is breaking that in fact the CEOs signed a completely different letter from the one published, and most do not in fact support imposing a contract.

If that is faked, he is fucked.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Is this the info you are referring to http://guerillawire.org/politics/jeremy-hunt-caught-fiddling/ ?

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

If that is faked, he is fucked.
What worries me most is that I don't think this is true. I think this current government is so astoundingly arrogant that it won't matter. They really think they can get away with anything.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Is this the info you are referring to http://guerillawire.org/politics/jeremy-hunt-caught-fiddling/ ?

Yes, that's it. Good old Zelo Street!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I`ve tweeted the link to Nick Triggle the bbc health correspondent asking if he has seen it.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't subscribe but based on the headline the health service journal seems to be carrying the story.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Its now on the bbc news site.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC are hoping - err I mean suggesting - that it may be a "storm in a teacup".

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Its now on the bbc news site.

And it looks like Sir David Dalton has been landed with the task of rewriting this little bit of history. I thought he would. Hunt always has a handy minion he can throw to the Press pack when they're getting too close.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ain't it no surprise that the NHS Blog is blocked by my (Civil Service ingernet) NetNanny?

btw, i) How many NHS CEOs are there?
ii) On what basis are they appointed and by whom?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Responding, Sir David told the Health Service Journal (HSJ) the statement they had agreed to "was confirming that the best and final position was considered fair and reasonable, and that they believed the NHS needed certainty and not continuation of the stalemate".

He continued that if anyone wanted to make an inference from this that they supported imposition, "then that is their inference, [but] that is not what [the signatories] have committed their names to".

"I neither want to say they do or that they don't. There is a variety of opinion on this."

Sir Humphrey couldn't have put it any better.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Responding, Sir David told the Health Service Journal (HSJ) the statement they had agreed to "was confirming that the best and final position was considered fair and reasonable, and that they believed the NHS needed certainty and not continuation of the stalemate".

He continued that if anyone wanted to make an inference from this that they supported imposition, "then that is their inference, [but] that is not what [the signatories] have committed their names to".

"I neither want to say they do or that they don't. There is a variety of opinion on this."

The professors of administration at the Civil Service College, must be purring with pleasure. There's a real gift in being accountable while spouting that.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Even that doesn't address the issue of at least one CEO saying she hadn't agreed to any version of the letter, and others saying the text they had agreed to had been changed.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

There clearly are issues of interpretation here which none of us would wish to minimize. Some people would say the substance of the intention of seeking a resolution by any means necessary remained unaltered by that, I have nothing to say about that one way or the other but rather regard it as a problem that needs to be resolved in its context and not dealt with piecemeal.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
His Wiki entry can't be edited to say he's from or lives in Berkeley, can it....? [Devil]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
His Wiki entry can't be edited to say he's from or lives in Berkeley, can it....? [Devil]

His constituency is South-West Surrey, which is no more than a gravel drive from Berkshire.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes, he's Mrs Bottomley's replacement, isn't he.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:

That is prime Humphrey-esque. I think it means "Hunt lied, deceived and manipulated. Situation Normal".

And no, he won't go. He - and the other senior Tories - have managed to make a despised profession (MP) even more vile. It seems that being utterly dishonourable is no longer a bar for being an MP.

If the speaker had any cojones he would have the cabinet hung out to dry.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

https://whatwouldvirchowdo.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/weve-found-jeremy-hunts-book-and-yes-he-does-want-to-privatise-the-nhs/

Unsurprised.

--------------------

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tory attack on the NHS is deliberate, strategic and long in the planning. They hate the NHS and they want to destroy it. It prolongs the lives of poor people, FFS!

Hunt is not incompetent or in any kind of political trouble here (not with his cabinet colleagues, anyway). Thinking that he is, is to underestimate the enemy. Every move he makes brings him closer to the long-planned grand NHS sell-off, from which a lot of complete arseholes will make a lot of money.

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yup

--------------------

Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Goode:
He is an extraordinary piece of work. There can't be many people who haven't enjoyed the appropriately-named James Naughtie's famous Freudian slip live on Radio 4, but in case there are, click and enjoy.

Freudian slip it may have been, but prescient too!

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
The Tory attack on the NHS is deliberate, strategic and long in the planning. They hate the NHS and they want to destroy it. It prolongs the lives of poor people, FFS!

That long-term NHS destruction agenda in full:

1940s: Tory election manifesto calls for a national health service
1950s: NHS exists
1960s: NHS exists
1970s: NHS exists
1980s: NHS exists
1990s: NHS exists
2000s: Tories not in power
2010s: NHS exists

Useless Tories, eh?

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

Useless Tories, eh?

This administration wants to destroy the NHS. Previous incarnations - from the 1990s - didn't want to because they were stupid but not that stupid.

2010s they were in a coalition, and so were restricted in what they could do. If they had tried some of the crap they are currently pulling, I think even the LibDems would have pulled out.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

Useless Tories, eh?

You don't remember the fiasco of the internal market do you? We should have learned then that "market forces" don't give any patients whatsoever.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the attack on the NHS will be piecemeal, rather than all-out. For example, as services are bought by private companies, they will tend to prefer to deal with non-complex stuff, not long term illnesses, the elderly, or mental health.

These will be relegated to a sink NHS, dealing with difficult (and expensive) cases. Hence, there will be a 3 tier health system: private; private firms supplying the NHS with simpler (and more profitable) treatments; and the sink stuff.

You can already see that mental health is going down the tubes - see the suicides stats,and the long distances some people have to go to get treatment.

The solution is simple - don't get old, don't get sick, and above all, don't be poor.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
This administration wants to destroy the NHS.

Why do you think they want to "destroy" the NHS? I thought the idea was reform, which isn't the same thing. I doubt very much that the intention is to scrap the entire thing.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reform = privatise. Because everything is better when it's run for profit, isn't it? Ask our American friends.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Monopolies aren't always the answer and sometimes it's good to have a bit of competition. However, not in this instance. I think the sooner Jeremy Hunt goes the better - his track record hasn't been exactly stellar.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Monopolies aren't always the answer and sometimes it's good to have a bit of competition. However, not in this instance. I think the sooner Jeremy Hunt goes the better - his track record hasn't been exactly stellar.

Depends on the kind of star. Jeremy Hunt is obviously a black hole.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's not exactly seeking out alternative views either.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
This administration wants to destroy the NHS.

Why do you think they want to "destroy" the NHS? I thought the idea was reform, which isn't the same thing. I doubt very much that the intention is to scrap the entire thing.
They sell it as reform. The reality is an attack on the core principles, which are health care for all, free at the point of use.

I saw a tweet today indicating that there are NO mental health beds available in the UK at the moment. Given the rise in MH problems and need, that is a disgrace - it means that someone needing an urgent admission will have no chance. Bear in mind this is in the face of a PM who has promised more support and investment for MH services.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why do you think they want to "destroy" the NHS?

According to wikipedia, Hunt co-wrote a pamphlet proposing that the NHS be abolished and replaced with universal insurance. He subsequently said that it didn't express his views (because obviously just because you've coauthored something that doesn't mean it has anything to do with your views).

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They want to destroy the whole principle of public service. This is why it's all being completely consumerised. I would like to continue to be treated by doctors and other health professionals to whom the idea of medicine as a service, as part of the fabric of society as well as a technical, medico-scientific exercise, is important. I don't want to be services by medical technicians. That way lies even further social disintegration.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
I would like to continue to be treated by doctors and other health professionals to whom the idea of medicine as a service, as part of the fabric of society as well as a technical, medico-scientific exercise, is important.

I expect you will be. Jeremy Hunt can try to impose contracts, but he can't force people to think what he thinks, and people don't usually go into nursing or NHS work for the money. The medical staff I've met in the past few years have been overworked, sometimes harassed and disillusioned, but still genuinely kind people who have that essential humanity and motivation to help that brought them into the profession in the first place.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016