homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Seven Modern Plagues

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Seven Modern Plagues
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A call to hell to all those stupendously intelligent nerds that like to inflict terror and inconvenience with one phone call, one computer click, one twitter. May you be on the receiving end one day soon. I hope you live long enough to be a parent juggling work, daycare, school, transport and health issues at the same time and then get something similar inflicted on you.

Orfeo's recent biblical type woes with ice and wasps made me think about the modern but entirely manmade plagues upon us.

Suicide bombers; Computer viruses; Hoax terrorist calls; Guns on campus; Crystal meth; Factory and vehicular driven pollution; Cyber bullying and the Kardashians....

In the human-made call to hell, what would your seven modern plagues be?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If this turns into a Circus thread, it'll be clobbering time...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
A call to hell to all those stupendously intelligent nerds that like to inflict terror and inconvenience with one phone call, one computer click, one twitter.

What exactly are you talking about here?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
A call to hell to all those stupendously intelligent nerds that like to inflict terror and inconvenience with one phone call, one computer click, one twitter.

Possibly swatting.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just this.

A week ago 20 schools in the state of Victoria were targeted with bomb hoaxes. It has now spread further. Other Australian states, Canada and the US reported an increase in hoax calls. At least one call has been traced back to France. The story has been yanked from the media probably to deter copycat behaviour. But a school an hour from where I live had to deal with a hoax call yesterday.

Why is it you can tell me the colour of my mailbox from outer space, access my asset details in the blink of an eye, and onsell all my private details yet these idiots can continue to operate? [Mad]

A plague on the plague of them.

[ 13. February 2016, 02:38: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the '70s, we sometimes got bomb threats at my school. Nothing actually happened, and most of them were thought to be attempts to skip taking a test. But we still had to go outside and wait while the building was checked, just in case.

Not to in anyway minimize your story and anger, Banner Lady. But I wonder if *some* of the things you mentioned might have been kids who could hack and wanted to skip tests, etc.? They might have routed their communication to look like it came from elsewhere. FWIW.

Horrible things to do, whatever the reason.
[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Skip tests? School has been back from the summer break in Oz for all of two weeks. I can understand a malcontent doing this to one school, or even a denominational group of schools. Especially at end of term time. The scope of this seems much wider. I don't remember it happening quite like this before.

I am surprised you think that we should just shrug and accept this as part of life in the 21st century and not an action to be condemned to hell. Bet all those parents home schooling are feeling even more justified now.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am surprised you think that we should just shrug and accept this as part of life in the 21st century and not an action to be condemned to hell.

Uh, yeah. That's why Golden Key called it

quote:
Horrible things to do, whatever the reason.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

This is my understanding of this hilarious practice:

1. Person A gets involved in a gaming group that uses webcam chat .

2. Person B, part of same group, gains persons trust and starts pumping them for personal info, such as their address.

3. Person B calls Person A's local law enforcement and claims that Person A has been threatening to set off a bomb during said webcam chat.

4. While game/ chat is in progress, everyone on that channel is treated to the sight of a SWAT team bursting in to Person A's room and flinging him to the floor.

Tee fucking Hee Hee Hee.

Little shits deserve to see the inside of a jail cell ASAP.

[ 13. February 2016, 05:48: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lived in Birmingham UK in the 70s - we got at least 3 bomb threats a week, so did plenty of other schools. We enjoyed them! Half an hour out of lessons while they had a check round.

I was going on a date to the Tavern pub but finished with my boyfriend that afternoon. It was bombed that evening - so I was very relieved that boyfriend kissed like a wet fish (the reason I finished with him)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had he kissed like Casanova surgeons would have removing nails from both your butts the following morning, or worse.
Funny old world ain't it.

Back to plagues. The only one that springs mind is that of roadside litter. It offends my eyes, but then whose to say a beetle does survive a cold wet night inside a discarded drinks can.
Funny old world....

<glad you gave that pub a miss that night BTW>

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
[...] I was going on a date to the Tavern pub but finished with my boyfriend that afternoon. It was bombed that evening - so I was very relieved that boyfriend kissed like a wet fish (the reason I finished with him)

This is Hell, and I am curious: Did they get him? I suppose he still went, to drown his sorrow. Did the fish get chipped?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Stood-up and blown to pieces, that really would rate as the mother of all bum dates.

--------------------

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Stood-up and blown to pieces, that really would rate as the mother of all bum dates.

It would still be one of my more successful ones.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
[...] I was going on a date to the Tavern pub but finished with my boyfriend that afternoon. It was bombed that evening - so I was very relieved that boyfriend kissed like a wet fish (the reason I finished with him)

This is Hell, and I am curious: Did they get him? I suppose he still went, to drown his sorrow. Did the fish get chipped?
No,no - he didn't go out at all, it was a shocking time and he phoned me the next day. They were more night clubs than pubs, I was under age and used to pride myself for getting in [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Continuing the tangent I read up on the 2 Birmingham attacks in 1974. The Tavern and Mulberry . Incidentally, and possibly ironically, a young couple out on their first date were among the dead at the Tavern basement.
Even as a teenager living in the sticks I well recall the feeling of National outrage . And, as now we know, six innocent men served 15 years to satisfy that outrage. Ridiculous and grim times, and looking back most certainly a plague.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re bad dates:

There's a movie called "Harold and Maude". H is a young man who's kind of at loose ends, and trying to break out of the world in which he was brought up.

Pertinent part is that H's awful mom is pushing him to date. IIRC, he's had some his mom set up, a fixed number of them. Current one is an actress. They're talking in his room, and she starts to explain a part she's working on. She needs a prop knife, and IIRC he has one. Smart girl tests it against her hand to make sure it's fake. She's flat on the floor, reciting her part, and "stabs" herself , and "dies".

Just then, H's mother comes bustling into the room, and sees the "dead" girl on the floor. She looks at her son in shock, and says "Harold! That was your last date!!"

[Devil]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016