homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Answering Frankenstein's questions (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Answering Frankenstein's questions
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From here

Frankenstein wrote:

quote:
If church is being seen as irrelevant, what is being done to address it?

I think there's a meeting next week where every single person with an interest in raising attendance numbers in the various denominations will come up with a solution. You have google, check it out.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have much a problem with Frankenstein opening that thread. It's a subject we've been talking a lot about already of course, but that is true for most threads.

One thing I do have issue with on that thread is him commanding people to look things up on the internet. He should provide links and comment on why he thinks they support his views, not try to let others do his work for him.

[ 13. March 2016, 19:52: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It feels like he's looking for a particular answer that he already knows and is expecting the rest of us to come to.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
It feels like he's looking for a particular answer that he already knows and is expecting the rest of us to come to.

No dog in the actual fight, but that particular rhetorical habit drives me batshit insane.

Is there a Latin term for it? Spittit Outicus?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nicolemr: It feels like he's looking for a particular answer that he already knows and is expecting the rest of us to come to.
Yes, you put the finger on it. And I like Kelly's Latin term [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it called 'answer-pulling'.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Grumble) I've got an answer you can pull...

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(Grumble) I've got an answer you can pull...

Is it like my Uncle Marty's finger?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I don't have much a problem with Frankenstein opening that thread. It's a subject we've been talking a lot about already of course, but that is true for most threads.

Yeah, I wasn't in a state of fiery outrage when I started this thread. I just thought F's schtick warranted a notching up of the sarcasm, which might have been rather unpurgatorial.

quote:
I've seen it called 'answer-pulling'.

Well, I wonder how that would differ from Socratic Ignorance, which is one of my favorite debating techniques.

I gusss with Frankenstein, it seemed like he was framing certain issues right off the bat as being of utmost importance("decreasing reelvance of Christianity!!", and then demanding to know what people were doing about them. While sticking to pretty general terminology and refusing any requests for clarification, which made it hard to know what he was talking about.

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Stetson: Well, I wonder how that would differ from Socratic Ignorance, which is one of my favorite debating techniques.
Hmm, Socrates could be a bit of an arse at times.

I also use a questioning technique rather often in debates (including on the Ship). I guess the difference lies in whether you're interested in people's answers.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also the difference between asking questions which you either don't know the answer to, or are unsure about the answer, and asking questions which you are sure of the right answer to - and being more than willing to then supply that answer.

Not that Frankenstein seems able to provide a straight answer to any sort of question.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Exactly. I have the feeling that with his questioning, he is trying to lead us to the killing answer he will someday give … but he never does.

The subjects he raises are interesting (even if we've discussed most of them before), but by just throwing in a question or a line, it feels a bit like he wants us to do his debating for him. Why not show a bit what your own opinions are on these topics? What conclusions do you draw from them?

(See, I can do the questioning thing too [Smile] )

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My curiosity was piqued, so I just peaked at the thread in question.

I found a bunch of posts from Frankenstein consisting mainly of large quotes from previous posts so as to bulk them up, tagged with questions and observations copy/pasted from a text-editor and delivered in a staccato and faux-magisterial manner in an apparent manifestation of studied minimalism.

I guess we all had a teacher like that at some point (sigh).

If you strain to make it out above the deafening trip-trap trip-trap noises in the background, it's just about possible to hear a clock ticking down somewhere.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

LeRoc wrote:

quote:
I also use a questioning technique rather often in debates (including on the Ship). I guess the difference lies in whether you're interested in people's answers.

With Frankenstein, I think he has this debate going on his head with an imaginary opponent who is shocked and outraged by his opinions, and he's hoping to find someone like that to argue with on the Ship. For example, when I asked him at the beginning to clarify what he meant by "relevant", he replied...

quote:
From my reading of the analyses of the census returns, available on the internet, the numbers who do not identify themselves with religion, is on the increase. I suggest that you goglee this yourself.

Whereas, in fact, I had not disputed his claims about the census at all. But it's like he was just hoping for someone to come along and do so.

Tellingly, when Jengie Jon, in his first post, DID present evidence calling into question the census numbers, Frankenstoen declined to reply. Despite previously having been very eager to push that point on people who WEREN'T disputing it.

[ 14. March 2016, 13:36: Message edited by: Stetson ]

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Well, I wonder how that would differ from Socratic Ignorance, which is one of my favorite debating techniques.

Hahaha, I suspect people have been using Socratic questioning for thousands of years and in the process pissing everyone off.

As The Republic suggests, the main advantage of the Socratic is that you can twist your opponent in knots without ever having to spell out what you think - so you can pretend to be all innocent "what.. I don't know, I'm only asking questions..". It's bullshit.

--------------------
arse

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The difficulty I've always found with the Socratic method is that unlike in Plato the other side never seem to know their lines.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Yes, not endorsing the actual points made by Plato via the Socratic method, which are debatable, to say the least.

Like, just as how you wouldn't take a democratic vote on how to care for your sick horse, you shouldn't take a democratic vote on how to run your society.

And all his opponents can do is nod along with "By Zeus, it is just as you say, Socrates", when confronted with such wise interrogation.

[ 14. March 2016, 14:16: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
LeRoc wrote:

quote:

With Frankenstein, I think he has this debate going on his head with an imaginary opponent who is shocked and outraged by his opinions, and he's hoping to find someone like that to argue with on the Ship. For example, when I asked him at the beginning to clarify what he meant by "relevant", he replied...

quote:
From my reading of the analyses of the census returns, available on the internet, the numbers who do not identify themselves with religion, is on the increase. I suggest that you goglee this yourself.

Whereas, in fact, I had not disputed his claims about the census at all. But it's like he was just hoping for someone to come along and do so.

Tellingly, when Jengie Jon, in his first post, DID present evidence calling into question the census numbers, Frankenstoen declined to reply. Despite previously having been very eager to push that point on people who WEREN'T disputing it.

Jengle Jon:
Frankenstein

You do know don't you that the 2011 census was designed to have a drop in numbers because the 2001 survey was felt to overstate the level of commitment in the UK to Christianity. I have this from Abby Day who advised the census people on this issue.

Only someone who is naive about the interpretative quality of statistics would believe that the decline is as steep as indicated by the survey. For an actual comparison, you might like BRIN (British Religion in Numbers) prefer to use the British Social Attitudes Survey which is conducted annual and has been asking about Religious affiliation since 1983.

Happy exploring of those sites.

Jengie Jon:

To try and clarify things, it was Jengie Jon who questioned the 2011 census returns and not Leroc.
I had confused the author, quotes within quotes..

Quote:
I asked him at the beginning to clarify what he meant by "relevant",
My understanding of this familiar word is as per any competent dictionary.

--------------------
It is better to travel in hope than to arrive?

Posts: 267 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
passer: I found a bunch of posts from Frankenstein consisting mainly of large quotes from previous posts so as to bulk them up, tagged with questions and observations copy/pasted from a text-editor and delivered in a staccato and faux-magisterial manner in an apparent manifestation of studied minimalism.
… aaand again.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tellingly, when Jengie Jon, in his first post . . . .

Just fyi, that would be her first post. [Biased]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, not endorsing the actual points made by Plato via the Socratic method, which are debatable, to say the least.

Like, just as how you wouldn't take a democratic vote on how to care for your sick horse, you shouldn't take a democratic vote on how to run your society.

And all his opponents can do is nod along with "By Zeus, it is just as you say, Socrates", when confronted with such wise interrogation.

IIRC, Plato/Socrates wasn't too fond of democracy (or maybe that was Aristotle? I need to read them both again) but his ideal political system seemed to be a form of aristocratic ruling class - who exercised in the nude.

--------------------
arse

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Frankenstein: My understanding of this familiar word is as per any competent dictionary.
Just to be clear: that's a fucking bullshit answer. On the thread in Purgatory, various people have expressed that the word 'relevant' can mean many things in the context of the question you raised. You opened a thread asking a question, people engage with your question and all you do is make long quotes and answer with "it's as per any competent dictionary".

This is disrespectful towards people who accepted your invitation to have a discussion with you. We know very well what the dictionary says thankyouverymuch; pointing us towards it in this way comes over as very patronising. We also know that words can take on different meanings when applied to different situations. You are obviously too dumb to get that.

If you don't think that discussing the meaning of 'relevance' in a situation of declining numbers of church attendance is worth your while, then you're not fit to open a topic that contains the word relevance. Get the fuck out of here, arsehole.

[ 14. March 2016, 19:49: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

IIRC, Plato/Socrates wasn't too fond of democracy (or maybe that was Aristotle? I need to read them both again) but his ideal political system seemed to be a form of aristocratic ruling class - who exercised in the nude.
Yep. I.F. Stone, among many others, has argued that Socrates whole political agenda was the exaltation of Sparta, to the detriment of Athenian democracy, a cause which naturally attracted the aristocratic youth.

The Trial Of Socrates

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Frankenstein: My understanding of this familiar word is as per any competent dictionary.
Just to be clear: that's a fucking bullshit answer. On the thread in Purgatory, various people have expressed that the word 'relevant' can mean many things in the context of the question you raised. You opened a thread asking a question, people engage with your question and all you do is make long quotes and answer with "it's as per any competent dictionary".

This is disrespectful towards people who accepted your invitation to have a discussion with you. We know very well what the dictionary says thankyouverymuch; pointing us towards it in this way comes over as very patronising. We also know that words can take on different meanings when applied to different situations. You are obviously too dumb to get that.

If you don't think that discussing the meaning of 'relevance' in a situation of declining numbers of church attendance is worth your while, then you're not fit to open a topic that contains the word relevance. Get the fuck out of here, arsehole.

A very humerous response.
You object to.my use of the word 'relevance' and object to my refering you to a dictionary.
In response you demonstrate your very limitted control of both the English Language and your temper.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frankenstein:
A very humerous response.
You object to.my use of the word 'relevance' and object to my refering you to a dictionary.
In response you demonstrate your very limitted control of both the English Language and your temper.

On the other hand, he can spell...

Also, he is right. You are a patronising gobshite.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to suggest that refering might be a problem as well, but then I confirmed that it has an entry in Wiktionary. (as a misspelling of "referring".)

[ 15. March 2016, 12:04: Message edited by: passer ]

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

LOL if you think this a bad temper, you ain't seen nothing yet.

quote:
Firenze: On the other hand, he can spell...
The irony … Sometimes one should just allow oneself to savour these little nuggets.

(As some Shipmates know, English isn't my first language. It isn't even my second, so I still make mistakes. I have the feeling that when I type in English, my typing and my thoughts sometimes seem to be out of sync.)

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
LOL if you think this a bad temper, you ain't seen nothing yet.

quote:
Firenze: On the other hand, he can spell...
The irony … Sometimes one should just allow oneself to savour these little nuggets.

(As some Shipmates know, English isn't my first language. It isn't even my second, so I still make mistakes. I have the feeling that when I type in English, my typing and my thoughts sometimes seem to be out of sync.)

Your command of the "anglosaxon" is excellent.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

News just in: Hwæt! anglo-saxon has not been a medium of written communication for the past 900 years. These posts are being written in english, an altogether different language.

[ 15. March 2016, 14:54: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Your command of "thinking" appears to be lacking.

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Before the Norman Conquest 1066, the English spoke Anglosaxon.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, d'uh. Do you have any other profound insights to offer?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Why is everyone saying "duh" all of a sudden? I've seen it on three different threads. Is it the new "asshat"?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

It's something AngloSaxon.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

Before the Norman Conquest 1066, the English spoke Anglosaxon.
No, they spoke Anglo-Saxon. But that's rather irrelevant to my point.

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

It's as profound as anything else going on this board.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

Can I help you find the door?

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
quote:
quote:

Now you're asking the questions.
Kind of you.

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:

One thing I do have issue with on that thread is him commanding people to look things up on the internet. He should provide links and comment on why he thinks they support his views, not try to let others do his work for him.

I am accessing the internet on a kindle.
I am unable to copy/cut/paste hence it's difficult to enter links.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
quote:

Kind of you.

Sometimes a question is a suggestion.

Why don't you use technology designed to allow input, rather than technology designed for reading?

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
quote:
quote:

Kind of you.

Sometimes a question is a suggestion.

Why don't you use technology designed to allow input, rather than technology designed for reading?

I think I do both as I'm sure you do.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It's more of a wondering. Why would anybody who thinks "The English spoke Anglo-Saxon" to be the most profound thing here stick around this board? Glutton for punishment? Hoping to bring more such light to the heathens? Some kind of stupid fraternity pledge week dare?

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

Why do I warrant so much interest?

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
It's more of a wondering. Why would anybody who thinks "The English spoke Anglo-Saxon" to be the most profound thing here stick around this board? Glutton for punishment? Hoping to bring more such light to the heathens? Some kind of stupid fraternity pledge week dare?

"The most profound thing here" are your words.
Please remind me of the profound comments made on this theme.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:

We're bored.

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
quote:

We're bored.
I am sorry to hear that you are bored.
If you really come from East Kilbride you must be unable to sleep or on night shift.
Either way you have my sympathy.
I generally turn to the radio, World Service.

Yes I have to admit to.being bored.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Actually, just settling in for my post lunch coffee and seeking online entertainment. Unfortunately all I have is you.

Though I'm not in the right time zone for the BCB, but I'm sure they'd let me join if I was.

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Actually, just settling in for my post lunch coffee and seeking online entertainment. Unfortunately all I have is you.

Though I'm not in the right time zone for the BCB, but I'm sure they'd let me join if I was.

With all the internet at your disposal...
I am not the only one on this web site.
It's not that difficult to ignore me.
So why?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Are we doing haikus?

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Are we doing haikus?

If you think so.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016