homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Small Sombrero Hats Cause Conniption Fits Amongst The Offenderati (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Small Sombrero Hats Cause Conniption Fits Amongst The Offenderati
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I MEAN IT, RUTH.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I am lucky I haven't been reduced to bathtub gin.

Oooh, that's a bad idea. You will smell like juniper for weeks. Don't ask me how I know this.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus, Kelly, it looks like you're channelling Cthulhu.

[ 18. March 2016, 03:08: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, if you're going to be one of the Old Ones, at least be the one who gets the most tasty snacks, I've always said.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of snacks, my pizza just came. Later, losers.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
I am lucky I haven't been reduced to bathtub gin.

Oooh, that's a bad idea. You will smell like juniper for weeks. Don't ask me how I know this.
I was reading up on home distilling a while back, had this whole fantasy about how cool it would be to distill my own liquor. It lasted right up until I realized I was more likely to blind myself than to come up with something drinkable.
RuthW

# 13

Kelly has Cuervo and a pizza, and I have tap water and Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Mac n' Cheese. Clearly I'm not living right.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ruth, don't for one minute think my rare* excursion into the world of hard liquor means I have joined you in your sad, progressive descent into lushdom. Right now it's mostly just to piss off Mousethief.

*ish

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:
... rare* ...

*ish

Uh huh. You just keep telling yourself that.
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great Googly Moogly, I leave y'alls alone long enough to have some soda bread, homebrewed porter, and a shot of Jameson and I find This on my doorstep.

I used to be Lord of the Circus. I was a god. A king. People respected me. People feared me. I ended Mornington Crescent. More than once, even. Can't hardly do that to the DC Metro...well, okay, the Metro doesn't need my help to be fucked up, but LET'S PASS OVER THAT, MMKAY?

How the mighty have fallen. Now I have to herd an incontinent golden retriever complaining about introverts rather than parrying witty repartee from Budhette. Now I deal with lightweights who turn into Little Lost Puppies in the face of a little Cuervo. Why. Just Why.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Great Googly Moogly ...

Erin used to say that. [Tear]
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well if you (generic you) take that attitude, then I hope you never get in a situation where the courts/ institutional governing body need to withhold public information to make sure you get a fair trial/ hearing / whatever.

Ay, there's the rub. "That's sub judice - we can't comment until the proceedings are over" is one thing; "We can't comment ever because of privacy issues" is another.

Trials are public for a reason. To quote Justice Brandeis, "sunlight is the best disinfectant". Closed proceedings only serve to feed the hysterical rumour mill.

It's not really clear to me what "privacy issues" are at stake here. As best as I can make out, some students held a tequila-themed birthday party for one of their friends. Some non-Hispanic students attended wearing mini sombreros. Pictures from the party appeared on social media, and came to the attention of some Hispanic students, who took offense at cultural mockery. When they expressed their offense, they were met with racist insults (it's not clear to me whether these were coming from the party-attenders or from a third party). It is not clear to me whether the offended students made a formal complaint, but it appears that the party hosts have been thrown out of their university accommodation.

The university claims that their disciplinary proceedings are private, and so they can't comment. I am unconvinced by the wisdom of quasi-judicial proceedings being private. All the offences in this case were quite clearly committed in public.

Disclaimer: I own a sombrero. It was bought for me as a souvenir by my grandparents, when they holidayed in Mexico thirty-something years ago. I wore it a lot the year they gave it to me, because I thought it was a cool hat. I've got a fez somewhere, too, but that owes more to Tommy Cooper than Morocco.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Great Googly Moogly ...

Erin used to say that. [Tear]
She was also one of the founders of the BCB, and I'm seeing echoes of that fine tradition here.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Alan, I resemble that remark!
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kel, you only drink Cuervo because of "Hey 19." Admit it.

Isn't that the only reason anyone drinks Cuervo?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who is Budhette?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

The university claims that their disciplinary proceedings are private, and so they can't comment. I am unconvinced by the wisdom of quasi-judicial proceedings being private. All the offences in this case were quite clearly committed in public.

It sounds to me that investigations are still ongoing or that explaining the details to the media might open the victims to further antagonism and hate mail.

--------------------
arse

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Great Googly Moogly, I leave y'alls alone long enough to have some soda bread, homebrewed porter, and a shot of Jameson and I find This on my doorstep.

I used to be Lord of the Circus. I was a god. A king. People respected me. People feared me. I ended Mornington Crescent. More than once, even. Can't hardly do that to the DC Metro...well, okay, the Metro doesn't need my help to be fucked up, but LET'S PASS OVER THAT, MMKAY?

How the mighty have fallen. Now I have to herd an incontinent golden retriever complaining about introverts rather than parrying witty repartee from Budhette. Now I deal with lightweights who turn into Little Lost Puppies in the face of a little Cuervo. Why. Just Why.

You make homebrewed porter? Marry me!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Who is Budhette?

LilBuddha.

I assure you it wasn't "a little Cuervo," Ariston it was that kind of week. Also, I think you should marry Adeodatus.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've not had a Ship wedding in *ages*.

Tonight I'm out to the local pub (yes, a pub in Fukushima) to down a Guinness or too many in honour of St Paddy. Hopefully leading to some luck of the Irish rather than curse of tequila.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OK, everybody is afraid to ask, what the hell is the BCB?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kelly Alves: OK, everybody is afraid to ask, what the hell is the BCB?
If you need to ask, you're not in.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

It is the ultimate in-crowd. Harking back to Neoworks.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See? Like most parties they start out with a cheesy theme and end with everyone getting drunk and describing their significant other's ass.

Which is why the only suggested party dress I've found offensive is "Vicars and Tarts," something we Americans haven't caught on to, thank goodness. The biggest problem on U.S. campuses is the rape culture, so one more excuse to dress the women in sleazy clothes and treat them like sex objects isn't needed.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got round that by the men going as tarts, and the women as vicars. Kind of sexy for a while, depends on how introverted you are, hee hee.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What in the world is your signature about, Quetz?
[Smile]

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly what it says on the tin.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
[Smile]

Just an ecumenical matter.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Down with this sort of thing.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
[Smile]

Already explained by others. A memorial to that fine actor, Frank Kelly, who played Father Jack in Father Ted, and whose catch-phrase it was, and who recently went to the Guinness factory in the sky.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Down with this sort of thing.

Careful now.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Q: What does Speedy Gonzales have under his carpet?
A: Underlay.... Underlay.

Never been sure if that's a racist joke or not.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sheesh, this thread has made me thirsty.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
The reason I don't is because I'm not convinced that the stereotypical gangster outfit is necessarily a stereotypical black outfit.

In the context of American popular culture, I can pretty much guarantee that that is exactly the attire that any college student would expect to be worn at such a party.
I presume you're agreeing with me?
Not really agreeing or disagreeing with you. You said that you didn't find the idea of the gangster party problematic because you aren't convinced that the stereotypical outfit involved would necessarily be a stereotypical black outfit. I'm saying that on an American college campus, that's exactly what was intended—I have no doubt at all that when the sailing team at Bowdoin planned the gangster party, the idea was that attendees would dress like the cast of "Straight Outta Compton." Bowdoin is not the only campus where these kinds of parties have happened.

To be clear, I'm not saying that those who threw or attended the party intended to mock anyone. I doubt they did. More likely, I think, that they were "just having some fun" and were either oblivious or indifferent to how the party would appear to others, particularly to African Americans. To me the biggest problem comes when people involved in a party like this become aware of how their theme offends others and blow it off, as though their right to "a little harmless fun" outweighs some obligation to be respectful of others. (Though it's also a big problem that these kids can get to college without the cultural awareness of why a party like this is problematic.)

I guess I'm also suggesting that one may need some real experience with American culture, including racial and ethnic dynamics past and present, to fully appreciate the problems with these parties. When I see people from other countries saying that this is all blown out of proportion, I see people who may not understand American cultures all that well.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

Trials are public for a reason. To quote Justice Brandeis, "sunlight is the best disinfectant". Closed proceedings only serve to feed the hysterical rumour mill.

...The university claims that their disciplinary proceedings are private, and so they can't comment. I am unconvinced by the wisdom of quasi-judicial proceedings being private. All the offences in this case were quite clearly committed in public.

In the US we (universities) are governed by federal laws that prevent making these proceedings public. So they really, really, can't.

A discipline I'm working on is remembering that I don't have to know everything. While I agree re the importance of transparency, there are situations where that's not possible. There are situations where I just am not going to know who the "bad guy" is. Ideally, there is some sort of accountability where someone trustworthy has oversight even if I can't know what they're uncovering, sometimes that's not the case.

I'm in a situation like that at work, obviously much much closer than a sombrero party on the other side of the country. Sometimes it's hard to just let it go, but sometimes that's the wisest, and fairest, course.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Exactly what it says on the tin.

You all have all the best TV.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Ruth, don't for one minute think my rare* excursion into the world of hard liquor means I have joined you in your sad, progressive descent into lushdom. Right now it's mostly just to piss off Mousethief.

*ish

You're going to have to do better than that to piss me off. Try telling me that Orthodoxen only ever drink vodka, and when I suggest that I and many of my Orfie friends drink Scotch, whine that people are mean to you.

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
deano would be Chief Princess of the Offenderati (motto: I literally can't even) if the shoe were on the other foot.

If people dressed in torn and bloodstained clothes, and held up signs saying "Soldiers Are Rapists" at Remembrance Day ceremonies, see how fast deano's attitude about safe space and offendedness would change. (Unlike other stereotypes, this one has

evidence to support it.)

However, deano has inadvertently pointed out a difference between the left and the right regarding offense. The left tends toward, "Wow, that's offensive. Can we talk about why?" while the right tends toward, "Wow, that's offensive. I'm going to punch your fucking face in." I expect deano's response would tend toward the latter. So much for "free country" and "bit of a larf" when the shoe is on the other foot.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:

*ish

You're going to have to do better than that to piss me off. Try telling me that Orthodoxen only ever drink vodka, and when I suggest that I and many of my Orfie friends drink Scotch, whine that people are mean to you.
Pfft. If you were a dedicated Orfie, you'd stick to ouzo.

Totally agreed about deano being Crown Princess of the Offenderati. I have noticed that dynamic with different people, on board and off-- it's always the person who sniffs about oversensitivity that has a high power radar searching for anything they can be pissed off about. Because calmly expressing your point of view is apparently hypersensitive, while flying into a rage when someone challenges you is not. Hm.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While 'Princess deano' is not a welcome mental image, it is now how I will think of him - askew tiara and all.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
deano would be Chief Princess of the Offenderati (motto: I literally can't even) if the shoe were on the other foot.

If people dressed in torn and bloodstained clothes, and held up signs saying "Soldiers Are Rapists" at Remembrance Day ceremonies, see how fast deano's attitude about safe space and offendedness would change. (Unlike other stereotypes, this one has

evidence to support it.)

However, deano has inadvertently pointed out a difference between the left and the right regarding offense. The left tends toward, "Wow, that's offensive. Can we talk about why?" while the right tends toward, "Wow, that's offensive. I'm going to punch your fucking face in." I expect deano's response would tend toward the latter. So much for "free country" and "bit of a larf" when the shoe is on the other foot.

Funny.

No, if you turned up with those sgns at a rememberance day ceremony I would merely watch as real soldiers showed you their aggresive abilities. Once again people like you reveal you have no understanding of the real world.

And if you want to understand whether left or right are instinctively violent, just take a look at the left's reaction when the Conservative party won the General Election last year...

Leftes get violent after democratic vote goes against them

You get violent with democracy, we get violent with those who would destroy it.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Hahahahaha! Protesting a Remembrance Day activity is destroying democracy! What fuckwittery!

Let's see. Which US presidential candidate flat-out encourages his fans to beat up members of the "other side" who come to his rallies? Is it Bernie? No. Is it Hillary? No. It's Trump. A conservative. What's sad is that this is not surprising anybody. if Bernie told his followers to beat up Trumpies who showed up, that would be surprising.

I suppose Princess Deano is next going to bemoan how those evil labor unionists tried to beat up the Pinkerton Guards, who were then forced to shoot.

quote:
Pfft. If you were a dedicated Orfie, you'd stick to ouzo.

Oh dear God no. But I do drink Retsina once a year at the Greek Festival.

[ 19. March 2016, 00:32: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

If somebody who gets offended easily is "offenderati", what do you call someone who easily gets offended at other people getting offended? I mean besides "fuckwit Princess"?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Foolish Mousethief, 'Tis ant-Democracy when the left protest and patriotism when the right do.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If somebody who gets offended easily is "offenderati", what do you call someone who easily gets offended at other people getting offended? I mean besides "fuckwit Princess"?

Calling deano an fuckwit princess is an insult to princesses. Come to think of it, it is an insult to fuckwits as well.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Foolish Mousethief, 'Tis anti-Democracy when the left protest and patriotism when the right do.

Dang, you're right. I had forgotten that.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Princess deano says "Hurrah for the Blackshirts"

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Princess deano says "Hurrah for the Blackshirts"

Yes, yes. You were doing better with your "alcoholic" meme Doc. Which bit of Christ's teaching guided you when you were thinking that line of attack up? I don't want to be offensive of course but I hope you get writer's block. Preferably permanently.

What I find disturbing is that many posters are unable to distinguish between giving someone a smack for disrupting a Rememberance parade in an extremely offensive way, and organised rioting after a democratic decision has gone against you following a general election.

But in another way it is a relief, because it shows just how far outside reality many of you are. It shows that your political views are so obscure that there is no way that they will ever be given a mandate by the electorate.

Even the US is heading towards a general election with Trump on one side and Clinton in another. Sanders and those leftwards of him are merely a distant memory.

I suppose the anger I face on this site is merely an expression of frustration and impotence borne of the realisation that your political views have been, and continue to be, rejected by the vast majority of voters. See Karl's little tantrum upthread for a good example. A meltdown caused by the recognition that even supposed left-leaning newspapers are rejecting your politics.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
deano: I suppose the anger I face on this site is merely an expression of frustration and impotence borne of the realisation that your political views have been, and continue to be, rejected by the vast majority of voters.
The anger you face is because you are an arsehole.

But to a certain agree you are right. We are losing, there is no sense in denying that. Those who want to concentrate ever more resources in the hands of ever fewer people, those who want to destroy the planet, those who want to fuck over the minorities, the disabled, they are winning.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Yes, yes. You were doing better with your "alcoholic" meme Doc. Which bit of Christ's teaching guided you when you were thinking that line of attack up? I don't want to be offensive of course but I hope you get writer's block. Preferably permanently.

You don't think you have a history of posting while drunk? Perhaps the blackouts are getting worse. Hopefully no one spits in your drinks.

And the idea you don't want to be offensive is laughable. It's your SOP. On other boards, I just scroll past you, because I don't care what you say.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
What I find disturbing is that many posters are unable to distinguish between giving someone a smack for disrupting a Rememberance parade in an extremely offensive way, and organised rioting after a democratic decision has gone against you following a general election.

As far as I know, no-one has actually disrupted a Remembrance parade. It was a hypothetical "if you can't see why racist insults are disrespectful, maybe you can see why insulting those who died for their country would be", and maybe, just maybe, that would give you some flavour of why pseudo-racists* like you are despicable scum not worth the pixels we waste trying to teach you a shred of common decency.

And, you clearly fail to understand democracy if you're going to say that there is something un-democratic about getting out into the streets to protest against government policy. Democracy isn't a vote cast every five years - democracy is the ongoing pressure on our representatives to act in the best interests of the people of this nation and beyond (at least, as we see those interests), through badgering our MPs with letters and emails, petitions and getting out into the street. Proximity to an election is irrelevant, especially with our fucked up electoral system that fails to actually return a Parliament representative of the electorate. If your constituency returns a Tory with a massive majority then your cross against any other candidate is meaningless - why not then express your democratic voice by joining others in London or Cardiff or elsewhere to say "you may have got enough idiots to vote for you, but now you're in we demand that you listen to us as we say no to austerity".

Yes, it's regrettable that such expressions of democracy often attract a handful of idiots bent on violence. But, throwing tomato ketchup is hardly the most violent of actions in the world.

*Because I don't think you are an actual racist, you're not going to be joining Britain First thugs beating up innocent immigrants. But, you clearly don't consider it worth your while to actively counter racism (and, indeed seem to revel in sharing examples of when anti-racists manage to get a little bit of justice as "PC gone mad" whinges).

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016