homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Benefit cuts (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Benefit cuts
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just need to have a splutter - bear with me.

There's been a lot of UK news about proposed cuts to disability benefits. Every time the government cuts my elderly family member's benefits I have to make up the difference out of my earnings cos leaving elderly disabled widowed family members to starve in debt makes the baby Jesus cry. I don't know whether I'm going to have to find £200 a month to make up for this cut. Elderly family member is panicking despite my reassurances.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

News item on benefit cuts

[ 18. March 2016, 09:59: Message edited by: Helen-Eva ]

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're talking about some disabled people losing £3, 500 a year. What? Are they fucking serious?

How can MPs vote for this? As Corbyn says, any one of us could become disabled at any time. I give up on politicians and Parliament. It's a fucking club for the rich.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
meanwhile cathedrals are getting £20 million

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But there does seem to be a Tory rebellion building up. I suspect my MP won't be involved.
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
But there does seem to be a Tory rebellion building up. I suspect my MP won't be involved.

Do you live in Chipping Norton then or that part of Cheshire inhabited by the Chancellor?

Incidentally, I now hear that pensioners aren't going to be affected by this cut so my elderly disabled widowed family member is going to be OK this time but that doesn't alter it for many who aren't.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I give up on politicians and Parliament. It's a fucking club for the rich.

More and more so [Frown]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I give up on politicians and Parliament. It's a fucking club for the rich.

More and more so [Frown]
Ditto [Waterworks]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What can one do? Under a Tory govt the rich will get richer, and the poor poorer. Well, there have been improvements since the war, we have had welfare, increased wages, better housing. There was a kind of post-war settlement among politicians. But today? Neo-liberalism rules the roost.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the constituency of the minister for war. Oh, confusion, defence.

I notice that the major Tories are sticking to the "we are making sure that those in most need will receive better help" line, and totally failing to define how many would be helped and how many would be losing in the quest for reducing the welfare bill.

I think they are determined to stick to it.

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks as though the cuts have been abandoned.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any Tories with a conscience should vote against this. They should leave the party.

Of course there is the Moral way and the Tory way, and they are increasingly far apart.

Osborne claims that he is standing up for the vulnerable. But then he is a liar. Everything he says is lies, lies and more lies. In reality, he is looking after the rich as they all are.

I have wiped things off my arse with more morality than this government.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iain Duncan Smith has resigned!!!!!
[Yipee] [Two face] [Yipee]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

This is a good thing. But I suspect it is a political move, not really because he has a problem with cutting benefits.

I still think he is a piece of shit. But the fact that the leadership of the party is so divided gives me some hope.

One down, quite a few more to go.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My theory is that he wanted out over the brexit thing, and wanted to shaft Osborn - thereby positioning himself for the post-cameron leadership challenge. (Ideally, coming off a referendum out vote.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is just possible Cameron wants to throw Osborn under a bus, so he can row back from the austerity policies a bit and give the tories a better chance in the next election, (I could see him covertly egging on Osborn and IDS in different directions.)

It sort of fits a bit with this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35834904

I also think it show's how much Corbyn's approach has shifted the austerity debate. Actual opposition has led mps to start publically question assumptions that were being taken for granted by both front benches last Summer.

[ 18. March 2016, 21:23: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

He has really gone for the jugular with his resignation letter, full text here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35848891

That last sentence almost achieves a sarcastic font.

[ 18. March 2016, 21:29: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
I also think it show's how much Corbyn's approach has shifted the austerity debate.

Thanks, I needed a laugh
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
I also think it show's how much Corbyn's approach has shifted the austerity debate.

Thanks, I needed a laugh
Yep. He's shiftd it from "don't give a damn" to "really, I don't give a fuck".

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to believe that he has discovered the few tattered shreds of a soul. But yes, sinking Osborne may also be in the mix.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

I expect he read this thread and that made him sit up and think a bit. Ahem.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IBS has been the tormentor-in-chief of the poor and disabled for years. I'd like to think he's had a Damascene conversion, and will hereafter devote his time and not-inconsiderable personal wealth helping those he's hurt. At the very least, visit each grave of those he's hounded to suicide and place some flowers.

However, I don't think he gives that much of a shit about them even now, and is simply playing petty politics against the Treasury. Expect him to take a directorship in Serco or G4S in due course.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
IBS has been the tormentor-in-chief of the poor and disabled for years. I'd like to think he's had a Damascene conversion,

I think IDS has had good intentions, and has genuinely wanted to improve things. Universal Credit, for example, is in principle a good idea. I think his implementations have been problematic, and I'm certain he's been given the shaft by George Osborne, who is Satan.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
IBS has been the tormentor-in-chief of the poor and disabled for years. I'd like to think he's had a Damascene conversion,

I think IDS has had good intentions, and has genuinely wanted to improve things. Universal Credit, for example, is in principle a good idea. I think his implementations have been problematic, and I'm certain he's been given the shaft by George Osborne, who is Satan.
I have to agree. Way back in June 2010 IDS mooted a "joined-up benefit" scheme that would give people enough to live on but at the same time encourage them to move into work. That simply doesn't happen because there are so many means-tested benefits that are all partially withdrawn when a wage is earned, such that the overall effect of the withdrawals cancels out most of the wage earned, and can even reduce overall income (ie, you earn a pound but lose more than a pound in benefits).

And the Treasury, in the person of George Osborne, is still too stupid to realise this. All they have done is impose a crude cap which is nowhere near enough for a family living anywhere other than in a very cheap area in social housing.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good intentions? Well, look where we're posting.

There's nothing wrong with organising a benefit system that tapers so that paid employment can gradually replace benefits, such that the marginal rate of tax doesn't exceed 100%.

And in theory, there's nothing wrong with putting foxes in charge of the hen house, because it's in the foxes' best interest to ensure a regular and continuing supply of both birds and eggs.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

FYI: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35824033

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Yep. He's shiftd it from "don't give a damn" to "really, I don't give a fuck".

No-one expects you to give a fuck you cretinous cockwomble. Fucks are given by people with souls and a conscience.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IDS has gone in lieu of the EU referendum debacle, it's doubtful he, personally, gives a flying fig about benefit cuts. Some comfort, for those seeking it, can be drawn from one's enemy's enemy being a friend.

His won't be the first butt to disappear into the dark before, or after June 23rd

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not qualified to judge anyone but I have to admit that sometimes what people say does ring very hollow.

If you want to stand up to someone and tell them that they're wrong kicking someone when they're already down and bloodied and beaten, that's nobel. Even if the person you're saying it to is a close friend.

But if the reason that they're bloodied and beaten is because you and your friends put them there, if you have been doing quite a bit of the kicking and told the victim that it's all for their own good, then I'm afraid to say that you lack credibility is an astounding understatement.

Yes Mr Duncan-Smith, I mean you. I have no idea what you are like as a person but I have seen with my own eyes that your department - whose whole raison d'etre is to protect us all when we become old or ill or disabled - has for these past few years been nothing short of evil. And yes, I do mean that word. Whatever the intend that has been the effect. And you have either been blind or willfully blind to this.

I am not sorry to see you go, but the damage was done a long time ago

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Good intentions? Well, look where we're posting.

Well spotted [Biased]
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IBS has been the tormentor-in-chief of the poor and disabled for years.

Where I live, IBS stands for irritable bowel syndrome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
IBS has been the tormentor-in-chief of the poor and disabled for years.

Where I live, IBS stands for irritable bowel syndrome. [Big Grin]
In fairness it's not hard to understand how one might confuse the two.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be accurate, his initials are IDS - as in the trending hashtag #IDSofMarch.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

In our house, it's either IBS or Iain Duncan Shit. In the same way that it's Gideon, and never George, and David "Pigfucker" Cameron. Lest we forget.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I struggle to tell the difference between them. But then I am not a coprologist.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nor does Stephen Crabb exactly stand out as any different, despite that rather glowing BBC write-up. No mention there of his support for cutting £30 per week from disabled people. Nor, his homophobia.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the same way that it's Gideon, and never George

I've always been a little concerned about people who do this - firstly, that's his legal name, it's what he chose to call himself and some respect should be shown.

But secondly, I think it's very interesting that he changed it because he perceived that such a Jewish sounding name would make it hard for him in public office, which given the amount of people who would like to remind him of his Jewish sounding name seems a fair fear, and perhaps is illustrative of the little acknowledged hint of anti-Semitism in some parts of centre-left and left wing politics in the UK.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it because it sounds Jewish, or people worry about giving a position of authority to someone who keeps forgetting to take his Bible home when he stays in a hotel?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL, Alan. And yeah, I wouldn't assume someone named "Gideon" was Jewish. Could be Christian; could be his parents were fond of Mandy Patinkin's character on "Criminal Minds"!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was talking to a friend recently, who was telling me something I find very sad and concerning.

Without giving personal details (and so even though this is unidentifiable, I'm only saying what has already been said in public by him), he recently divorced from his wife and moved out of the family house and into a flat.

He said to me that a major factor in this was because they were struggling to survive financially. As he was the only earner, he felt like he was forced to move out and sever financial links to his wife and children and move into a considerably cheaper flat.

The state picks up the tab of the cost of housing everyone else via housing benefit and he is better off - even with the costs of child contributions - because the flat is considerably cheaper.

There is more to this story.. but still, it seems more-than-slightly insane that the state system is actually contributing to family breakup by making the most sensible financial move for a money-earner to leave the family home.

That, my friends, is fucked up.

--------------------
arse

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by dyfrig
quote:
...hint of anti-Semitism in some parts of centre-left and left wing politics in the UK.
HINT?
  • The co-chair and BME representative of the Oxford University Labour Club have both resigned in the past 3 weeks, citing anti-semitic bullying
  • the reinstatement of a Labour Candidate (Vicki Kirby) who has tweeted "Who is the Zionist God, I'm starting to think it may be Hitler" and suggested that ISIS should attack Israel
  • the reinstatement (supported by John McDonnel) of Gerry Downing, who compared Labour Friends of Israel to Joseph Goebbels, is,pro Hamas and Hezbollah, and refers to the "Jewish Problem"
  • A renewed hate campaign on twitter aimed at Luciana Berger, who has spoken out about anti-semitism in the Labour Party
  • anti-semitic bullying allegations against two Momentum activists (one an adviser to Jeremy Corbyn) are being swept under the carpet
This is more than a "hint" - this is starting to become a torrent.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
quote:
In the same way that it's Gideon, and never George

I've always been a little concerned about people who do this - firstly, that's his legal name, it's what he chose to call himself and some respect should be shown.
Gideon is his name. Gideon Oliver. 'George' isn't any of his names. And it's as Gideon that he's the inheritor of a multi-million pound trust fund and the title of Baron Gideon of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon.

Gideon is a perfectly decent name - my first novel's protagonist is called Gideon, and I have a great deal of affection for it. So why does he try to hide both it, and his inheritance?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Gideon is his name. Gideon Oliver. 'George' isn't any of his names.

He's entitled to call himself any name he likes, for any non-fraudulent reason.

Full stop, end of.

Yes, George is a name that he chose rather than a name he was assigned at birth. What of it? (And it makes not the slightest difference if he has chosen to execute a deed poll or not. If someone says "My name is George", George is his name. Regardless of what it may say on his passport.)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Gideon is his name. Gideon Oliver. 'George' isn't any of his names. And it's as Gideon that he's the inheritor of a multi-million pound trust fund and the title of Baron Gideon of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon.

... why does he try to hide both it, and his inheritance?

I can see no reason to hide his name. But, I can see how it would be politically problematic to make an issue of a multi-million pound inheritance and title. Like many other Tories (and, some Labour and other party politicians) he is caught between the reality of being a member of a very small privileged class and the need to be seen to be "one of us" to his local party membership and constituents. So, they don't exactly fib ... but are a bit evasive (to say the least) about the subject - and, anything else too.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:
Gideon is his name. Gideon Oliver. 'George' isn't any of his names.

Full stop, end of.

Yes, George is a name that he chose rather than a name he was assigned at birth. What of it? (And it makes not the slightest difference if he has chosen to execute a deed poll or not. If someone says "My name is George", George is his name. Regardless of what it may say on his passport.)

You mean, like Drumpf?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think your last paragraph is right, Doc. A quick look on the web finds both Guardian and Times saying he changed it by deed poll. As far as I can tell his legal name is George Gideon Oliver Osborne, but you may have another source.

His reasons for adopting the name - no less weird, it seems to me, than CS Lewis declaring himself to be "Jacksie" at the age of 4, which became his lifelong appellation of Jack - have been given in different ways. He told the Telegraph that he didn't like the name, and adopted his grand-father's name at 13 - "Life was easier as George". He told the Evening Standard "I couldn't think of anyone who I liked or who was successful who was called Gideon."

The material I thought I had read on Wikipedia isn't there anymore, so or otherwise I'm misremembering the source, but I have read about his perception of the name. The notion of life being "easier" as George suggests to me that I';m right in recalling that there is some element of protecting himself against the casual prejudices of British society. Whilst it may have become one of the fashionable names Evangelicals in the later 90s, along with Joshua, in mid-80s rich London I suspect it wasn't entirely left unremarked on. People from the two generations of British Jews that I have to know have very "neutral" names like Dennis, Malcolm and (oddly) Merton. GO's brothers are Benedict, Adam and Theo and his mother is Felicity, not notably Jewish sounding names. I think it very probable indeed that (English public schools being what they are) that some of the ab- sorry, schoolboy japes and banter directed at him played on his name. At around the same time we in the state sector mocked a guy at our school for having part of his name that sounding like "AIDS" and regularly referred to Malcolm Allen's kid brother as Chris Chocs. The grammar may have been better at George's school, but I suspect the intent was the same.

As someone who has changed their name by deed poll and helped others do it - it involves the word "renounce" - I'm probably more aware of the need to respect the choices people make in this regard.

What a weird few days - waking up to on Saturday to hear that IDS was nearly on the side of the angels, and today defending George Osborne's right to call himself what he damn well likes. Well, as Arthur Keostler said, you can't stop people being right for the wrong reasons.

--------------------

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Full stop, end of.

My grandfather's name was (in the form of) Robert James Smith.

In the army he was Jim Smith. Later in life he was called Robert (for reasons we can't quite explain, but probably due to him wanting to distance his old age from the active part of his life). In official documents until his death he was RJ Smith.

What was his name? Clearly it depends who you're asking and in what context he was known and - perhaps oddly - which period of his life he was known.

But it isn't untrue to say that his name was Robert James Smith. Or Robert. Or Mr RJ Smith.

I don't think one can be too "thing" about this. The guy's name is Gabriel, just as Paddy Ashdown's firstname is Jeremy, and Jack Straw's firstname is John.

They have professional/political names. They also have real firstnames. One can obviously use their real firstname to highlight the fact that they're not. No biggie.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

OK if he has actually legally changed his given name, that's a bit different.

I note that he is George on the UK parliamentary biography, unlike Paddy Ashdown and the others - so I think it is highly likely that George is his legal firstname.

--------------------
arse

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
I don't think your last paragraph is right, Doc. A quick look on the web finds both Guardian and Times saying he changed it by deed poll. As far as I can tell his legal name is George Gideon Oliver Osborne, but you may have another source.

In the UK, your legal name is whatever you ask to be called.* There's no need to document or register it.

A deed poll or statutory declaration makes some things easier, like getting a new passport. But it's not a legal requirement.

Amorya

*As long as there is no intent to defraud.

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
so I think it is highly likely that George is his legal firstname.

This idea of someone having "a legal name" is an American one. I don't think English law quite has the concept.

A "deed poll" doesn't change your name - it provides evidence that you have changed your name. The only thing required for someone to change his name is to start using his new name as his name.

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

Sorry, that long paragraph of mine seems to descend into gibberish at several points. I shall blame the corneal edema rather than my own laziness or stupidity.

Yes, Mr C, I think it is important if he has actually changed his name. But I also think there is a qualitative difference in the way people spotlight his aristocratic and money heritage, and his name change.

None of these things have ever been kept secret. That Telegraph article I quoted is from 2005, but the first time I heard it referred to by a comedian - on the News Quiz - was in 2014. And it seems to be that comedians and others who would normally not tolerate race-based jokes do seem to want to highlight the fact in ways they would not in the other, very good examples, which you refer to. (Another example is Robert Maclennan, the second leader of the SDP, who eventually changed his name by deed poll to "Sorry, and you are.....?")

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016