homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Scott Effing Morrison

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Scott Effing Morrison
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a fantasy where me and a couple of other burly blokes (BB) accost Scott (evil and competent) Morrison in a gridiron fashion when he is out on campaign. BB1 blocks one bodyguard, BB2 blocks a second, whole BB3 goes for Morrison, grabs his specs and in one fluid motion, chucks them on the ground, stamps on them, and then yells, "Now your blindness isn't just a metaphor you CUNT." Hopefully there will be plenty of spittle involved. All three are then arrested and charged, but at peace.

Morrison is the Treasurer but was the Immigration Minister in the present conservative Government in Australia. He more or less set up the current system of detention, and there have been two self-immolations in the camps in the last week or so. The present immigration minister, Dutton, has blamed refugee advocates and the newspapers for this. Dutton is just one of those nasty conservatives that are a dime a dozen, but I think Morrison is a good operator, and I want him dealt with so that his political career ends ASAP.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Translation of "Morrison is a good operator", please? Thx.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hmmm, what I mean in the context is someone who is good at their job. That means Morrison's good at implementing policies I hate.

--------------------
Human

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

oh, I also meant to apologise a bit for using the word cunt. It is my very worst swear word, reserved for people I hate viscerally. I don't believe it should be banned, but that some people do adds to its awfulness. I thought better about using it, but stuffed up my attempt to edit the post.

--------------------
Human

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The man is like a cane toad - poisonous to everything he touches. I really hope he is held accountable for his actions...

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume they're busy working on something that allows them to ignore the ruling that the internment camps on PNG are illegal.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not at all, Alan Cresswell - the people who can no be longer be interned on Manus are PNG's problem now, so it's all good. Not that the PNG government agrees, but whatevs.

ScoMo is a thundering disgrace, but barely stands out as such amongst the rabble currently forming the Australian federal cabinet.The only good news I have had this week is that Tony "The Mad Monk" Abbott is no longer my federal member due to the constituency boundary shifting again.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I assume they're busy working on something that allows them to ignore the ruling that the internment camps on PNG are illegal.

Well, illegal according to PNG law. That's not going to bind the Australian government, any more than what's illegal in Japan binds the UK government.

About 700 of the people in PNG have made an application to the Australian High Court to come to Australia.

From what little I've seen I'm not sure they have much of a legal case, but it will certainly be interesting.

Bear in mind this is the same court that said the situation on Nauru was, from an Australian law perspective, legal.

[ 05. May 2016, 14:16: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What the UK government does in Japan is bound by Japanese law. What the Australian government does in PNG is bound by PNG law - in this case meaning that they can not operate internment camps on PNG since the courts there have declared them illegal. Which, presumably, means the Australian government needs to find some other nation to host their internment camps if the government wishes to continue locking people away.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Well, illegal according to PNG law. That's not going to bind the Australian government, any more than what's illegal in Japan binds the UK government.

About 700 of the people in PNG have made an application to the Australian High Court to come to Australia.

From what little I've seen I'm not sure they have much of a legal case, but it will certainly be interesting.

Bear in mind this is the same court that said the situation on Nauru was, from an Australian law perspective, legal.

Perhaps better to say that it's hard to see quite how they can frame their case. They are not in Australia and their removal from Australia was valid under Aust law. I don't like the law any more than you do. Morrison and Dutton have kept things to a tight line, supported strongly by a department which for decades has run a harsh line against refugees.

Your last sentence is a bit tough on the High Court. That outcome was clearly flagged as a possible outcome during the course of the directions hearings and then in argument during the substantive hearing. The transcripts are all available on AUSTLII.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What the UK government does in Japan is bound by Japanese law. What the Australian government does in PNG is bound by PNG law - in this case meaning that they can not operate internment camps on PNG since the courts there have declared them illegal. Which, presumably, means the Australian government needs to find some other nation to host their internment camps if the government wishes to continue locking people away.

A problem which they are going to face is that as a matter of Australian law (it stinks, but it seems to be the position) the 700 or so never really arrived in the country.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

Your last sentence is a bit tough on the High Court. That outcome was clearly flagged as a possible outcome during the course of the directions hearings and then in argument during the substantive hearing. The transcripts are all available on AUSTLII.

Um ... so fucking what?
Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Reading will show how the argument was formed, and hence the judgments.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've read the judgements. There was something in the majority judgements that was bugging me, and then the dissenting judgement absolutely hit the nail on the head.

It's one thing to exercise the power to remove people from the country. It is quite another to continue to work at controlling their movements after they are off your territory.

The thing I simply cannot stomach is that we have reached the point where we are trying to stop people who have been assessed to be genuine refugees from going to New Zealand because we don't want people, even refugees, to get the impression that they might get to have a better life after hopping on a boat heading in this direction. It's revolting.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Reading will show how the argument was formed, and hence the judgments.

Again - so fucking what?
The law is an ass. The fact that something is logical in terms of a law that is terrible doesn't amount to much.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

If you bothered to read what I said, you may gather that I don't support the legislation, but was picking up on what Orfeo said. Probably too hard a distinction for an academic.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

You're still not being very successful in making whatever point you seem to think you're making.

How is it unfair to the High Court to point out a High Court decision?

The first comment I made, the one you reacted to, I didn't even state whether or not I agreed with the decision (as I've now indicated, I'm not persuaded it's correct in law and I find parts of the dissenting judgement fairly compelling). You say I'm being unfair because... because you could tell from the transcripts which way they were leaning? I'm sorry, but what the hell does that mean?

Where did I say the decision was surprising, or unexpected? Where did I say anything at all where the transcripts would be relevant?

I've just got no clue what you think you're either saying or reading that made "the High Court decided this" / "you're being unfair to the High Court" anything other than a non sequitur.

If what you're saying is some form of "the poor dears, they couldn't think for themselves it was all the fault of the lawyers appearing before them", then that's grounds for greater criticism. These are the highest judges in the land. Just because arguments are presented to them in court doesn't force them to accept those arguments. Justice Gordon in her dissent basically said that some of the government's arguments were complete rot. And indeed all of them are perfectly capable of saying "that argument should not be accepted", they say it somewhere in almost every case.

My best guess is that you read into my posts some kind of moral pronouncement about the High Court's decision which simply isn't there. Surely you know me better than that. I understand the difference between whether something is moral and whether it's legal. As far as I'm concerned the immorality of current policy isn't in question. I stated what the High Court found was legal. And it wasn't until the second post that I said I think the Court was wrong on that.

[ 07. May 2016, 10:53: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
If you bothered to read what I said, you may gather that I don't support the legislation, but was picking up on what Orfeo said. Probably too hard a distinction for an academic.

My god, you are a douchebag. It's nice to be reminded of that sometimes.
What orfeo said. Though I doubt he can get through to you, either. He's more patient with stupid than I am. It's why he's a hellhost. That, or he's actually really a masochist.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Orfeo Quite clearly what I was saying is that your last sentence implied that the High Court was being far too political and taking the Govt's line. That is something they most clearly weren't doing.

No point in replying to Dark Knight.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Orfeo Quite clearly what I was saying is that your last sentence implied that the High Court was being far too political and taking the Govt's line.

Well that implication is entirely in your own head. It sure as hell wasn't in mine when I wrote the post.

Besides, given that the Opposition policy is almost exactly the same on these matters, there's not much of a political point to make.

[ 08. May 2016, 00:02: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, he is refusing to apologise to Save The Childrem for false accusations regarding their actions on Naru, despite the Government having to pay them compensation for those same accusations.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
quote:
Orfeo Quite clearly what I was saying is that your last sentence implied that the High Court was being far too political and taking the Govt's line.

Well that implication is entirely in your own head. It sure as hell wasn't in mine when I wrote the post.

Besides, given that the Opposition policy is almost exactly the same on these matters, there's not much of a political point to make.

Glad it was not in your mind then.

The policies of both parties are unspeakably bad. They both demonise refugees. As the new Catholic bishop of Parramatta said this week, his family would not have made it into here had the present policies then been in place.

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
Apparently, he is refusing to apologise to Save The Children for false accusations regarding their actions on Naru, despite the Government having to pay them compensation for those same accusations.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
quote:
Apparently, he is refusing to apologise to Save The Children for false accusations regarding their actions on Naru, despite the Government having to pay them compensation for those same accusations.

Yes, that's a beauty isn't it, and it shows that the idea of blaming activists and the media for protests by the prisoners on Nauru and PNG is a tried and true strategy.

I have got my anger out of my system for now. I'm sure it will return. Thanks Hell.

--------------------
Human

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Apparently, he is refusing to apologise to Save The Childrem for false accusations regarding their actions on Naru, despite the Government having to pay them compensation for those same accusations.

Who was Immigration Minister when that happened, Morrison or Dutton?

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

I'm pretty sure it was Morrison.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Yeah, you're right. I'd forgotten how long ago it was. Plus it really isn't that long since the Ministers (including the Prime Minister) all shuffled around.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Morrison, I'm fairly sure.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

According to the news on the BBC today, Dutton certainly seems to be trying very hard to be a first rate jerk. Is there some global competition we're unaware of at the moment? A "who can be the most awful person in public office?" competition. The US has Trump, the UK has Boris, Australia has Dutton ... with plenty of others vying for the coveted position.

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

The good news is that Mr Dutton is copping a *lot* of flack, from all sorts of people. Maybe, with the aid of a sledgehammer, he may get the point.

Yet another toad. There are a lot of them around, now.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

This writer thinks that Dutton is, in fact, trying to be objectionable.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could call it either way, I think. This is the man who thought that making jokes about Kiribati disappearing under water was the go, until ScoMo pointed out there was a boom mic overhead.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

quote:
This writer thinks that Dutton is, in fact, trying to be objectionable.

So, then, a toad's toad. I really hope the man loses his seat this time round. He's upset a few people in his electorate, so it might be possible.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016