homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Then they came for our tuna bakes (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Then they came for our tuna bakes
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle, wriggle . . . .

How is that wriggling? Pasta wasn't a big part of the British diet until mass production in the 1930s. It didn't become a major part of the diet until the 1970s.
My poking around looking for The Origin of Pasta Bake seemed to suggest the practice of chucking various tin food in a baking dish with pasta can be traced back to the post war years, and then it just kind of stops.

Can't find any actual footprint, but I suppose if people were familiar with dishes like baked ziti and lasagne, that might have been the inspiration, but really, it seems like tuna bake is just like jello fruit salad-- it has its origin in women's lifestyle magazines.

It is kind of mesmerizing to see British folk be so protective of a native Mexican grain. "You will have my sweetcorn when you pry it out of my cold dead hands." [Big Grin]

[ 20. May 2016, 15:30: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sweetcorn or death!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found one - ONE - recipe for tuna pasta bake in the whole BBC recipe archive of, what, 11,000+ dishes?

I wish I'd called the thread 'And then they came for our pan-fried sea bass' or something.

ETA. It contains sweetcorn and peas. Make of that what you will.

[ 20. May 2016, 15:37: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really? [Killing me]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It contains sweetcorn and peas. Make of that what you will.
Well it is the BBC. That will be the equivalent of inviting a spokesperson from a minor and obscure political party to give an opposing view to the one that all sane people hold, in the interests of balance and objectivity.

[ 20. May 2016, 16:07: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Kelly Alves
quote:
It is kind of mesmerizing to see British folk be so protective of a native Mexican grain. "You will have my sweetcorn when you pry it out of my cold dead hands."
As far as I'm concerned you can keep maize/ sweetcorn: just about bearable popped with salt - never sugar - but as a vegetable [Eek!] tasteless and creamed sweetcorn is vile.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care whether or not there is sweet corn or peas in a tuna bake. For me the only non-negotiable is a crushed potato chip/crisp crust.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It fascinates me how food elicits such extreme reactions, a kind of purism. People say you must never put X in Y, and I suppose it's partly in jest, but there is a hint of meaning it. Food fascism, to a degree.

But I remember this in music as well, you had to be cool, and it was infra dig to like something else. Well, saying infra dig isn't very cool, sorry. I'm a bad man.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle, wriggle . . . .

How is that wriggling? Pasta wasn't a big part of the British diet until mass production in the 1930s. It didn't become a major part of the diet until the 1970s.
And even in the 70s, loads of people weren't really sure what to make of it. I have, somewhere, a 1970s cookbook featuring a chocolate macaroni pudding (it was between the rice pudding and something weird with jelly).

(Whenever I make a fish pie, I have to put in extra boiled eggs, because everyone always wants one.)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:
Well it is the BBC. That will be the equivalent of inviting a spokesperson from a minor and obscure political party to give an opposing view to the one that all sane people hold, in the interests of balance and objectivity.
Also known as The Referendum (which side is the sane one is up to you)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
This discussion is almost as interesting as the British diet. [Razz]

We have over 300 kinds of cheese (more than France) and a good deal our food is distinctly regional. Ten years ago there was a debate in This Place about barm cakes and these were different things in places just ten miles apart.

If there is no such thing as British cuisine it is because it varies too much from place to place, like our weather.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:
Also known as The Referendum (which side is the sane one is up to you)

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think our fish pie was eggless on the wartime principle that you only used one form of protein in a dish. And we lived in a fishing port.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

If there is no such thing as British cuisine it is because it varies too much from place to place, like our weather.

[Killing me]

Gee, it must suck to have people homogenize your culture without taking into account your regional variety.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You just can't imagine how terrible it is, Kelly. [Biased]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
posted by Kelly Alves
quote:
It is kind of mesmerizing to see British folk be so protective of a native Mexican grain. "You will have my sweetcorn when you pry it out of my cold dead hands."
As far as I'm concerned you can keep maize/ sweetcorn: just about bearable popped with salt - never sugar - but as a vegetable [Eek!] tasteless and creamed sweetcorn is vile.
That's about where I'm at. I'm not even a big popcorn fan. I kind of like it on the cob, but otherwise I only eat it out of courtesy.

And to paraphrase a friend, eating creamed corn is like throwing up backwards.

[ 20. May 2016, 18:54: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Wait - people eat that? I thought its only purpose was baking into a
casserole. (If you were thinking of making that, chop some green chili in to it.)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a Recipe thread in Heaven, you know that?

Meanwhile, a national treasure is destroyed by a crowd of elitist ideologues and do you lot care?

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I like the idea of, say, the medieval English sitting about waiting for the arrival of tinned tuna so they have something to cook with.

Yes, but they'd be waiting even longer for ye means of opening said tinnes.
Ah, come on. With all those knights clanking around all over the place. Someone must have invented the medieval tin-opener if only to cope with those terrible helmets getting jammed down over someone's face.

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
I put leeks in my tuna bake, actually.

No, you don't. You put tuna in your leek bake.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a Recipe thread in Heaven, you know that?

Meanwhile, a national treasure is destroyed by a crowd of elitist ideologues and do you lot care?

Hah. Junior hosting.

But she's not wrong. If you want to discuss recipes, you can all fuck off from here. If you want to discuss the Evil Tories™ and their wicked plans to smash our beloved BBC for fun and profit (their's) you may continue to do so at your convenience.

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I like the idea of, say, the medieval English sitting about waiting for the arrival of tinned tuna so they have something to cook with.

'Any sign of ye fish in armour yet, Udo?'

'Nay'

'What about ye Hot Food of the Indies shoppe?'

'Likewise nay.'

'Looketh like it will be the chicken with almonds and saffron* for the tea then.'

'Fraid so.'

Tea? In 1390? Have I missed something?

'Forsooth, there is no tea at all, Arnulf,'

'Never mind, wilt thou then have a ciggie?'

Which is not to say it isn't brilliant. And maybe the tea thing was a bait to which I rose like, say, a big stupid tuna. So can me.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

'So, Udo, what else seeth thou in thy scrying stone?'

'Fearful thinges, Master Arnulf. That men will presently put fysh and a sort of small hard bread and yellow grains lyk unto the shitte of hennes into ane dishe and bakke it'.

'Let us be thankfull ye Blacke Deeth will carry us off ere that'.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Up until the 1970s, canned creamed corn did not have added sugar. It was quite tasty. Then one brand after another started adding sugar.
[Projectile]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have one more thing to say about the Freedom Fries thing (CRESSWELL). My recollection is that this sweeping name change only took place in the Pentagon canteen, and the entire rest of the nation thought it was stupid. Or maybe thought it was funny for fifteen seconds, then thought it was stupid.

Pentagon canteen? Please! An idiocy so sublime could only have issued from one source: the US House of Representatives.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I just had this residual mental image of septuagenarian idiotic suits high- fiving each other. Somewhere on Capitol Hill.

[ 21. May 2016, 01:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You could not have summed up my feelings about the stuff more exactly than this...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would anyone want to cream corn? The texture of corn is one of the reasons for putting it in stuff. And, as noted it's already sweet (guess that's why they call it sweet corn) - which is a reason to add it to tuna pasta bake, it offsets the tang of the chilli flakes in a sweet-and-sour sort of way - so why then go and add sugar to it?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're all still talking about recipes. Hell is not the place to do that, unless you want to discuss how tasty your liver would be, lightly fried with some fava beans.

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016