homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Martin60: You, on the other hand... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Martin60: You, on the other hand...
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...are a festering shitbag so wedded to your own bizarre love of being utterly fucking unreadable in everything you post that you've lost the ability to actually make a fucking argument once in a while. Take your ad hominem lack-of-argument and shove it so far up where the sun don't shine that it would take a team of professional spelunkers six weeks to find it again.

If you want to actually have a discussion with me in Purgatory, I'll be waiting. If you just want to spit out crap in lieu of an argument then here's the thread for you.

NB: posted here because I can't say most of that in Purg without having to give myself a warning, and that would get a bit too meta. Frankly I don't give a damn if this thread gets a response or not.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No hope Marvin, that's way too clear.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find it disappointing when people reply cogently to a post of Martin60 because it means there was probably a point in it somewhere. So instead of blithely scrolling past all his content it makes me wonder if I might have missed something worthwhile.

Oh well.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bless you Marv.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Either engage with what I've said or shut the fuck up.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
MtM

I’m sorry you’re in a bad place mate. It’s not about me is it? It NEVER is. I responded as I did on the thread, because I couldn’t work out whether you were for real or not. And then I realised you were. Hence my “You’re so funny”, which really hit the spot didn’t it? Even if you don’t understand me, you do. You knew I was being … “funny”. How are we to manage this conflict? I’m not doing well here, feel a tad slitty eyed myself obviously, but I must lay down any counter-projection.

I’m sorry for mishandling my perception of your defence of selfishness if it’s not your actual position. If it is, then YOU do have a problem. We all do. Unless we lay our privilege down, we burn. And not in some Iron Age fantasy. The gain of equity and peace offsets any ‘sacrifice’. Real sacrifice is when we give when we have nothing left. You’d say loser’s talk? “You have nothing to lose”?

Your brother in adversity
Martin

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, Marv, it's not hat he was rudely dismissing you, it's that you are not yet evolved enough to recieve his peerless wisdom. Maybe in the next lifetime, buddy. Namaste.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Yep. Add "patronising wankbadger" to the list of ways he pisses me off.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

At first I thought we were in Limbo there Kelly. But Googling deeper, I think we're in Bolgia Nine of Maleboge, the eighth circle. What do you think?

--------------------
Love wins

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
At first I thought we were in Limbo there Kelly. But Googling deeper, I think we're in Bolgia Nine of Maleboge, the eighth circle. What do you think?

I think you are are in a VERY deep hole.

I would suggest that you should stop digging, but personally, I like seeing your innards removed through your rectum, so carry on.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:

Sowers of Discord, eh? Referring to yourself perhaps?

See, I know what you're referring to with a lot of these comments, because believe it or not I'm a educated man. It doesn't piss me off because I don't understand it, it pisses me off because what the fuck is wrong with just saying what you think once in a bastard while? If you want to accuse someone of lying then sodding well say so, don't make some pretentious allusion to medieval literature.

I realise I've got more chance of plaiting soot than of convincing you to change your ways. But I'm finding this thread nicely cathartic, so it's all good.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Thank God for that. And it wasn't your good self of course being accused by beam mine (circle 8, ditch 6), but mote herself.

And, Oh indeterminate state feline, I'm thankful for such tender consideration.

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Nearly choked on me popcorn with that one Marv.
Abuse expletives would be seriously curtailed were it not for masturbation, sexual intercourse, misogyny and now, intriguingly it seems, badgers.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like the word salad dressing Martin provides. Haiku to all of the unwashed leaves.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:

Nearly choked on me popcorn with that one Marv.
Abuse expletives would be seriously curtailed were it not for masturbation, sexual intercourse, misogyny and now, intriguingly it seems, badgers.

Cockwomble is also available.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Is that the male of the species?

--------------------
Love wins

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why will you not communicate in plain English ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
Where would be the fun in that.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, but my beard is humble and I weep when I am struck by the tragedy of the SHATTERED perfume bottle - have you kept your brother ? Have you ascended unworthy ? Are you alright mate, because its always about Christ's gardening desires.

[ 24. May 2016, 20:57: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

As opposed to a henwomble? No?

--------------------
Love wins

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leaves and fæces shall be distributed to the multitude.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Yes, but my beard is humble and I weep when I am struck by the tragedy of the SHATTERED perfume bottle - have you kept your brother ? Have you ascended unworthy ? Are you alright mate, because its always about Christ's gardening desires.

Pure Iggy Pop. Great.

--------------------
Love wins

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Nutbush Finklestein

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Either engage with what I've said or shut the fuck up.

Scream at a rock, "Be a tree! Be a tree!"

Better if you need a tree to go find a tree.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
I find it disappointing when people reply cogently to a post of Martin60 because it means there was probably a point in it somewhere. So instead of blithely scrolling past all his content it makes me wonder if I might have missed something worthwhile.

Oh well.

You've really got the right idea.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Nutbush Finklestein

Of course you do. And ME. And MINE. It's all with HIM. None of us can.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

I think you're a chronic masturbator, and that plays out in your posting style. Any other questions?

[ 25. May 2016, 04:54: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

I think you're a chronic masturbator, and that plays out in your posting style. Any other questions?
You are giving masturbation a bad name.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Martin, I think many (albeit not all) of us enjoy aspects of your posting style from time to time. The comprehensibility is quite variable though. What really gets people wound up though is that when you are asked to explain you delight in being increasingly incomprehensible.

It's pretty obvious that this is a choice, that you often feel a bit superior about it and that you enjoy winding people up by being incomprehensible.

That and the self-righteous pacifism/champion-of-the-marginalized schtick are your main besetting flaws. And then occasionally the obsequious ever-so-umble stuff. And of course the wanking.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TBH, he would give child abuse a bad name, were he to be accused of that.

Maybe his posting style is because he is only using his left hand, his other being otherwise occupied on spewing his discordant seed across his computer.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Not at my age.

--------------------
Love wins

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sort of sickening that Martin claims to be defending the poor and downtrodden while playing his incoherence games. If he cared about them, rather than using them as a perch for moral superiority he'd make arguments other people can understand.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Wow, that's a very low punch.

--------------------
arse

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Much too low for me to identify with. I'm happy to identify with the frank communication regarding posting style and coherence but don't feel I want to take it much further.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

And disgusting. And disrespectful of abuse victims and survivors.

Never mind disrespectful of Martin, and slinging some really caustic mud.

Grow the hell up, SC. And apologize.
[Mad]

[ 25. May 2016, 08:51: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Nutbush Finklestein

Thank you for the almost trip to the emergency room! I was eating a handful of peanuts when I read this and nearly choked on them. A good deal of coughing, spluttering, spitting half-chewed peanut fragments all over the dining room table...oh, mercy..."Nutbush Finkelstein"! If I had died, I would have died laughing.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

But probably a sure-fire way of provoking a widely sympathetic response to Martin.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

SC's OK. Like me, like many here, has frailties. I'm part of the problem here. I'm amazed that one can go too far in Hell.

Palimpsest, mdijon, points taken. Honest. I'm a prat. Sorry. Thank you all.

--------------------
Love wins

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Sort of sickening that Martin claims to be defending the poor and downtrodden while playing his incoherence games. If he cared about them, rather than using them as a perch for moral superiority he'd make arguments other people can understand.

Except I don't think he is playing games. I think it's how he genuinelly, truthfully, communicates his responses. Whether that makes things better or not is another question. I've always just assumed Martin was wired a bit differently to most other posters.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:

Except I don't think he is playing games. I think it's how he genuinelly, truthfully, communicates his responses. Whether that makes things better or not is another question. I've always just assumed Martin was wired a bit differently to most other posters.
If only.

Martin60 has been hauled over the coals often enough for posting self-indulgent and pretentious crap and he has been tolerated because he can be much clearer.

Periodically he gets called to Hell or warned for this. It does little more than demonstrate the passage of time.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

Never mind disrespectful of Martin, and slinging some really caustic mud.

Yeah, that's pretty fucked. Martin's tiresome, not evil.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

If only.

Martin60 has been hauled over the coals often enough for posting self-indulgent and pretentious crap and he has been tolerated because he can be much clearer.

Periodically he gets called to Hell or warned for this. It does little more than demonstrate the passage of time.

This. He gives the impression he is trying to conduct the discussion like a guru, not participate in it as an equal. And his habit of calling people out by name to evaluate how their progressing drives me nuts. " Oh, X, you are so very close! Here is a flowery description of what you are thinking that is less than accurate/ flattering on examination. Perhaps someday you will see the truth, which I won't tell you but let you guess at. But here, let me shower you with personal flattery that has nothing to do with the conversation, just to keep you sweet."

GOD. Who died and made you my existential sherpa? Stop delivering analysis on what other people think and tell us what YOU think.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Martin, I think many (albeit not all) of us enjoy aspects of your posting style from time to time.

hmmm... must be an acquired taste. I'm not there yet.

quote:
The comprehensibility is quite variable though. What really gets people wound up though is that when you are asked to explain you delight in being increasingly incomprehensible.

It's pretty obvious that this is a choice, that you often feel a bit superior about it and that you enjoy winding people up by being incomprehensible.

Yep. Which is why this thread is probably ill-advised as it only feeds whatever it is that Martin is gaining from his obtuse style choice.

quote:

That and the self-righteous pacifism/champion-of-the-marginalized schtick are your main besetting flaws. .

I share many of Martin's views (at least, as best I can glean them). Which makes this all the more irritating. It's one thing to have fun and games with annoying word play when you're chatting about chicken recipes or debating in klingon. It's another thing all together when you're talking about the poor, the dispossessed, the victims of war and violence-- as Martin often is. If you really believe the things you (appear) to believe, Martin, you should care about communicating them in a way that is clear and persuasive. Because when you're talking about the real abuse and terror of life, the desperate needs and suffering, the clever(ish) word play is just Not. Funny.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Brava.

I think I hit on something in my last post. All this reliance on esoterica and pointing the conversation at other posters is just-- hiding one's self. And considering how long Martin has been a part of things here maybe some of us feel cheated at always facing a persona rather than a person.

[ 25. May 2016, 14:15: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Palimpsest, mdijon, points taken. Honest. I'm a prat. Sorry. Thank you all.

And there's the obsequious ever-so-'umble stuff. Just communicate honestly and stop trolling - that's all the apology I would need.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
I think it's how he genuinelly, truthfully, communicates his responses.

Two observations that go against this: firstly the increasingly incomprehensible responses when someone asks for clarification combined with the hints of enjoyment (suggesting he can turn the gain up on the incomprehensibility) and secondly the ability to communicate clearly once in a while.

And one prediction: that M60 communicates perfectly ordinarily when shopping for groceries.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Yes, you are right. That was rather beneath the acceptable line. Apologies, total and heartfelt.

And Martin, I don't need you on my side, OK? I can totally fuck things up perfectly well without any help, as I regularly prove.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like Martin. He seems a kind person. Oh well.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:

How can you tell that in this (highly convoluted) text medium?

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:

How can you tell that in this (highly convoluted) text medium?
You seem to be saying that writing is an opaque medium. Well, it can be, of course. But it is possible to relate to someone.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016