homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Martin60: You, on the other hand... (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Martin60: You, on the other hand...
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
All this stuff about wanting to change him reminds me of the Enid Blyton boarding school stories where one person doesn't fit in and all the girls in the school have these smug, serious little meetings about how to teach them a lesson to make them change!

Exactly. Could not agree more.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Do you really know that for certain?

You are correct. I do not know. In the same way I wouldn't know a person was a murderer if I saw them brandishing a knife and chase another person 'round the corner and, when I followed, found them running away from the chasee who had the knife planted in their back. The chasee could have wrested the knife away, placed it on the ground and thrown themselves on it. Another person could have stabbed them and run away with preternatural speed, been beamed up by aliens or be a master of instant camouflage.
However, it is more than reasonable to conclude the chaser stabbed the chasee. Especially when the pattern repeats cyclically.

quote:

A person may communicate differently in different situations, at different times - that doesn't automatically mean that when they are communicating in a way that you find annoying, they are doing it deliberately to spite you.

He does not annoy me, though he has in the past. And I don't think he always, or even mostly, means to annoy people. I think he posts as he does because it brings him pleasure/suits his preferred self-image. And I am not saying he should change to suit anyone. I am saying he does choose and past behaviour supports this conclusion.
quote:

I am aware too that some people do express emotions in a manipulative way. I have never got that impression with Martin. I think you guys put him in an impossible situation. You keep demanding he is more real with you, that he gives more of himself, and then when he does express some emotion, show himself vulnerable, you sneer at him for being mawkish and melodramatic.

I'm not going to deconstruct this, I'm not posting on this thread to attack or admonish Martin.* I've loads of experience with personal control, both my own and observing others and disagree with your interpretations.
I do not think anyone is expecting more of Martin than anyone else, quite the contrary. Because of the longevity of his posting style, I think he is given more leeway by many, including the Ship's admin and hosts.

Should he change? I don't care. However, this is a place of communication and if he chooses to play the way he does, it is not unreasonable for others to become annoyed enough to call him here.

*Were I, there would be no ambiguity about it.

[ 31. May 2016, 15:15: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
I just want to make one thing absolutely clear and then I'll probably leave this thread. I have no problem with the way Martin expresses himself. It's not that he's 'different' or 'eccentric' that gives me any pause, it's the way he treats people.

Bingbingbingbingbingbingbingbingbing.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to out you.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ISTM that most of the posts on this thread are about how Martin communicates, and possible reasons for that--not about specific insults/fights.

As I've said, it's reasonable to talk to him, IMHO, about insults/fights.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think, because occasionally Martin has had a different, more straight forward, posting style, some people are concluding that that is his "normal," style and the usual one he brings here is slightly fake. Not necessarily. I picture Martin getting a drink and settling down to the ship and sliding into a poetic, philosophical mode that may be his truest self.

Once, while in college, I was reading some Victorian novel or other, when a group of girls stepped into my room and uttered an offhand remark about what a good student I was. I replied, "Would that I were!" They never got done laughing at that, of course, it sounded so prissy to them, but it's just where my head was at the moment.

Remember when some people used to call Father Gregory to Hell once a week for being pedantic? Remember Father Gregory? See what happens.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I think, because occasionally Martin has had a different, more straight forward, posting style, some people are concluding that that is his "normal," style and the usual one he brings here is slightly fake. Not necessarily. I picture Martin getting a drink and settling down to the ship and sliding into a poetic, philosophical mode that may be his truest self.

This would make a good Purg topic, what constitutes our "real" self. I won't put unnecessary strain on our dear, sweet Hell Hosts with this tangent, but most personalities are a mix of natural and contrived. Affectation =/= false.
But Martin isn't called to Hell for his poetic soul, but for clarity. He can, and does when told, maintain both. He is doing so currently in Purg.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Remember when some people used to call Father Gregory to Hell once a week for being pedantic?

No.

quote:
Remember Father Gregory?
Yes.

quote:
See what happens.
No. I fail to see your point here.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IIRC Fr Gregory left because his RL name had been used once too often. I miss him too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

This would make a good Purg topic, what constitutes our "real" self. I won't put unnecessary strain on our dear, sweet Hell Hosts with this tangent, but most personalities are a mix of natural and contrived. Affectation =/= false.
But Martin isn't called to Hell for his poetic soul, but for clarity. He can, and does when told, maintain both. He is doing so currently in Purg.

I noticed that. While still maintaining his general voice. I've actually started reading his posts again. When he explains what he's talking about, what he's talking about usually turns out to be really fucking interesting.

The thing is, he was asking for feedback. How am I coming across as disrespectful? he said, so we told him. His responses were gracious, bantery, and attentive. I felt comfortable enough to banter back ( teasing him about the flattery and self flaggelation). That may be part of his MO that won't change, but I can live with being mildly irritated by it if he can live with me being mildly irritated by it. Certain things I can't change either. (Shrug)

(And I know this is the kind of thing people say, but I really don't have the trust level to either argue with or banter with people I don't feel comfortable with, or who I feel won't respond in full faith. )

He even attempted to apologize to you, mousethief-- and not in a splashy mea culpa way, in a more or less analytical way-- but maybe you skipped over it. Anyway, it looked like an olive branch to me.

Basically droning on in Hell expressing my frustration with trying to communicate with Marty wound up making me like him a little more. So, afaic, call me any names you like, I am pretty happy to have found more reason to like someone.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If Martin were to change, I bet it would be change on his own terms, which would not suit the complainants.

We'd just end up here again with the tedious making tedious Hell calls. Martin does not post like you because he ain't you.

Think I'll go back to sleep, there's nothing interesting here.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I am becoming a bit annoyed at the "Stop picking on the weird kid" posts here.
One: Martin60 is quite capable of defending himself here, he is not one of the vulnerable people on this site. Several of those get hammered here for much more "normal" posting styles and do not receive the defence Martin has.
Two: It isn't his difference anyone is complaining about, just his level of intelligibility, which he has demonstrated he can control.
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

He even attempted to apologize to you, mousethief-- and not in a splashy mea culpa way, in a more or less analytical way-- but maybe you skipped over it. Anyway, it looked like an olive branch to me.

It didn't register. I missed it or wasn't in the mood to see it. I will have to look back for it.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Two: It isn't his difference anyone is complaining about, just his level of intelligibility, which he has demonstrated he can control.

One: No it isn't. The OP was about Martin making a personal attack in Purgatory, which was not unintelligible at all.

Two: "Oo look," cry the tedious, "Let's sidetrack this to be about me. Martin does not post how I want in to. Waaaaaa! <throws toys out of pram>"

Just because he can does not mean he should. Abuse out of Hell is another matter.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
One: No it isn't. The OP was about Martin making a personal attack in Purgatory, which was not unintelligible at all.

As I've described above, it is possible to read that initial exchange as a self-slap by Martin upon Martin buried under layers of convoluted text which may or may not be self mockery.

And it seemed that Martin responded in a way that might be read as (at least to some extent) agreeing with my analysis.

So, I'm afraid either the attack wasn't intelligible or Martin's responses here were not intelligible. Either way, Martin was at one point or another being less than fully intelligible.

quote:
Two: "Oo look," cry the tedious, "Let's sidetrack this to be about me. Martin does not post how I want in to. Waaaaaa! <throws toys out of pram>"
No, sorry, this wasn't ever about the posting style per say, so constantly harping on that "poor old Martin is just a find and dandy chap who is a bit different and everyone is always picking on him" is a load of shite.

The fact is that at times only Martin understands fully what Martin is posting. He appears to have acknowledged this above.

quote:
Just because he can does not mean he should. Abuse out of Hell is another matter.
Well if he wants to belong to a community built on communication, he clearly needs to post in a way that others can actually understand what he is saying and in a way that it is clear whether or not he is intentionally attacking someone else rather than engaging in the topic.

It is quite bizarre that anyone can defend one member posting drivel on these boards which nobody else can actually understand - on the basis that someone somewhere might understand what the fuck it is all supposed to be about.

--------------------
arse

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They just want to keep him all to themselves.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Well if he wants to belong to a community built on communication, <snippety snip> It is quite bizarre that anyone can defend one member posting drivel on these boards which nobody else can actually understand.

I never said it had to be understandable, and even if is opaque, it is still communication, Jim, but not as we know it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a bit like art critics who fawn and coo over how meaningful and fabulous a bunch of random colours on a canvas are, only to find out they were done by a monkey. They're all trying to look deep and intelligent to one another rather than actually looking at what's actually there.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Again, it seems like there is this undercurrant of " we the elect understand" Bully for you, but Martin himself was asking for feedback. Maybe he isn't as happy with his missives being confined to the elect as you are.

I thought it went without saying that people can do whatever the hell they want with feedback, including ignoring it. But he did ask for it, and my assumption was that his questions were genuine.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
It's a bit like art critics who fawn and coo over how meaningful and fabulous a bunch of random colours on a canvas are, only to find out they were done by a monkey. They're all trying to look deep and intelligent to one another rather than actually looking at what's actually there.

Bite me, you muggle.

-- Rothko fan.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would, but I'm afraid the spatter pattern from your jugular might be mistaken for a lost Pollock.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

You got me there. Pollock does suck.

( why the hell am I babbling about art? Sorry guys, home sick and very bored.

[ 01. June 2016, 21:36: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Marvin the Martian wrote
quote:
Reminds me a bit of Robert Frost:

"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows."

... or not.

Martin in his gnomic mode makes me think of IngoB. Ingo could achieve obscurity by being madly over-analytical. Martin achieves his own form of obscurity by playing the oracle. I imagine him as the Sybill or someone crying in the wilderness eating locusts. We ae supposed to devote ourselves to decoding the oracle.

Both Ingo and Marvin certainly get attention, greatly extending the length of threads on which they participate and being honored with Hell calls when someone gets fed up. The cynic in me thinks of something Tallulah Bankhead said:

I don't care what they say as long as they talk about me.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stone me!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Dude, you are perfectly capable of getting yourself stoned. Just pass it over, all I'm asking.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly. I never LOL. LOL.

Eeeeeeee. It's ALL valid. No apologies necessary. I'm guilty of EVERY charge above, sometimes all concurrently. And more. I answer as if the stream hadn't flowed on. Deliberately. I felt acutely bad confessing it just there. Now you know.

I don't want to hurt ANYONE. But I'm a compulsive argumentative git on a mission, I'm a zealot, a self-styled prophet, formerly of the right and now the left; I enter in to the spirit of Purgatory as John Cleese's Sir Lancelot The Brave attacking the wedding castle. I try and mask the aggression. But as paul said, I'm a dick. Still.

A swordsman once told me I'd make a good one. Because of the polarizations I believe. The emotional swings. Thrust and regret. And yes I do feel I'm brutal in Purgatory. Ruthless. Especially to cliffdweller. I lost mousethief to that a long time ago.

La Vie En Rouge ***** that's a 5-star review not an obscenity. I HAVE tried to acknowledge that my having ANY expectation is WRONG. I realise. Thanks to this Hell call.

Old leopard new spots? I hope so. But I've alienated too many here to even hope to atone I fear. Boo-hoo. Woe is mawkish me indeed, I'm a motley old fool. And hurt people in failing to make my points which I'm DESPERATE to make. Still. Bugger.

One needs to mull. Thanks to ALL on this thread and the Ship. Night.

[ 01. June 2016, 23:06: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Respect, Marty.

And forgive me for being all teachery. I have a hard time shutting it off sometimes. Anyway, off to get some tea.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

This is the problem with being cryptically gnomic (or gnomically cryptic) --- it sure as fuck didn't look like no olive branch to me, let alone an apology. I can forgive the shark 70x7 but it doesn't mean I have to go back in the water. I've been mauled enough by this great white hope. I'm done.

quote:
quote:
Well if he wants to belong to a community built on communication, <snippety snip> It is quite bizarre that anyone can defend one member posting drivel on these boards which nobody else can actually understand.

I never said it had to be understandable, and even if is opaque, it is still communication, Jim, but not as we know it.
Linear A is communication. But it would need to be translated if you wrote in it on the ship. Or to put it another way around, if nobody understands it except the person who wrote it, it's not communication.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
I've alienated too many here to even hope to atone I fear. Boo-hoo.

Yeah, true remorse here. Wake up, sheeple. You're his playthings. It's exactly like IngoB, who only used us as whetstones to sharpen his prick.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The awkward thing - for me at least - is that MartinPCnot's primary vice is trying to be interesting. It's hard to deny that same drive motivates much of my participation too. His preferred balance of interesting seems to contain considerably less utility than I like, but I can grok why he's such an obscure mustelid-felchiing cloaca of a poster.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

And see? Cloacas are fascinating...

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

quote:

Yeah, true remorse here. Wake up, sheeple. You're his playthings. It's exactly like IngoB, who only used us as whetstones to sharpen his prick.
Dude, he was riffing off the various comments various people made about his operatic style of apologizing-- mocking himself, in other words. You still may not buy it-- and since you're the one he tangled with, that's your right-- but I don't think he was mocking the idea of apologizing.

OK, you get one, Marty, I am never translating for you again.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
quote:

Linear A is communication. But it would need to be translated if you wrote in it on the ship. Or to put it another way around, if nobody understands it except the person who wrote it, it's not communication.
Martin is an impressionist with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood complaining he lacks detail.

Monet or Rossetti? It is possible to appreciate both.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Monet? Are you kidding? Dali.

And I love Dali-- really-- but I wouldn't give him the job of drawing a Tubes map.

"Quit fucking around with symbolism, Sal, and draw the route!"

Ok, I'm done. I'm getting loopy.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Martin is a Dadaist.
Martin is Nonsense art.
Martin is a chimp on a tricycle rolling across a canvas.
Martin is two quarks playing poker.
Martin only approaches impressionism at his clearest.
Regardless, art without criticism is meaningless.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

quote:

Dude, he was riffing off the various comments various people made about his operatic style of apologizing-- mocking himself, in other words. You still may not buy it-- and since you're the one he tangled with, that's your right-- but I don't think he was mocking the idea of apologizing.

OK, you get one, Marty, I am never translating for you again.

Dudess, chummy joking-around with people is a privilege, and fucking them over revokes the privilege, which must then be re-earned.

[ 02. June 2016, 03:58: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Fair enough.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, sweet Jesus, why, why, WHY did I Google "feltching"?

[Projectile]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Martin is a Dadaist.

One of the fathers of Dadaism even?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rook--

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
The awkward thing - for me at least - is that MartinPCnot's primary vice is trying to be interesting. It's hard to deny that same drive motivates much of my participation too. His preferred balance of interesting seems to contain considerably less utility than I like, but I can grok why he's such an obscure mustelid-felchiing cloaca of a poster.

I think anyone who posts anything online is looking for attention, and we do that by trying to be interesting. Selfies, videos of a ferret in a dress, sharing personal experiences, stating opinions, debating, boasting of IKEA hacks, correcting people. And then there's all the bad stuff! [Biased]

I think there's room for many different kinds of "interesting", FWIW.

[ 02. June 2016, 07:18: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I think anyone who posts anything online is looking for attention, and we do that by trying to be interesting. Selfies, videos of a ferret in a dress, sharing personal experiences, stating opinions, debating, boasting of IKEA hacks, correcting people. And then there's all the bad stuff! [Biased]

Well yes and no. On one level, I suppose anyone who is looking to have a conversation with someone else online is looking for at least one other person to notice and reply to them.

But that's quite a different thing to someone who just posts pictures of themselves on snapchat/instagram/etc to get kicks out of the idea that a lot of people will be admiring them.

Looking for that kind of attention and admiration online is not necessarily a terrible thing, however the whole purpose of this forum is for the former kind of attention which involves, y'know, people interacting intellectually with the words others have written. That's only possible if everyone intends what they've written to be understood by a wider audience than themselves.

Ultimately one can write nonsense poetry and put it online because you like the idea that someone somewhere might fall over it and enjoy the challenge of trying to figure it out. But in that case the online service you are looking for is a blog.

If you are in fact looking to interact with others and are only willing to do that with cryptic messages, then you've got to accept that most normal people get bored when the person behind the messages seems to be speaking in an incomprehensible language only they understand and may (or may not) just be sniggering at everyone else's stupidity.

--------------------
arse

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe we're all here because we're "looking for attention"-- seeking some human connection. There's a bit of a social contract that this is mutual-- I listen to you, you listen to me. So perhaps when Martin responds to our posts in such a cryptic way, there's a feeling that it's breaking a social contract in some way. Which says as much about us/me as it does Martin.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Martin is a Dadaist.
Martin is Nonsense art.
Martin is a chimp on a tricycle rolling across a canvas.
Martin is two quarks playing poker.
Martin only approaches impressionism at his clearest.
Regardless, art without criticism is meaningless.

Martin is the duck-bunny floating in a glassy sea of dislocated verbs and the occasional black orchid.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I think anyone who posts anything online is looking for attention, and we do that by trying to be interesting.

Well, no, not anyone. I first registered and posted here because, as your xkcd link states, 'someone was wrong on the internet'. I stayed and interaction has become a reason why. But on the few other places I post, it is simply about information. If someone else posts what I feel is the proper response, I do not post.
quote:

Yes, there is. Homogeneity is boring.

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Martin is a Dadaist.

One of the fathers of Dadaism even?
groan

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Martin is the duck-bunny floating in a glassy sea of dislocated verbs and the occasional black orchid.

Instead of orchid, I would have said corpse flower, but yeah.

No, not because of that. Get you mind out of the sewer.

[ 02. June 2016, 15:03: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

No, not because of that. Get you mind out of the sewer.

(Goggles)
You're really going to have to explain why, dear God, why? because I can only come up with the one application.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
(Goggles)
You're really going to have to explain why, dear God, why? because I can only come up with the one application.

It looks like a massive penis.

--------------------
arse

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

See?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Maybe we're all here because we're "looking for attention"-- seeking some human connection. There's a bit of a social contract that this is mutual-- I listen to you, you listen to me. So perhaps when Martin responds to our posts in such a cryptic way, there's a feeling that it's breaking a social contract in some way. Which says as much about us/me as it does Martin.

Absolutely. It says this is s discussion site.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
(Goggles)

It looks like a massive penis.
If your penis looks like that, I suggest you see a doctor.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
See?

Trashy people.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It looks. Like. Fellatio.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I think anyone who posts anything online is looking for attention...

You might just as well say anyone who wants a conversation in real life is looking for attention.

quote:
And hurt people in failing to make my points which I'm DESPERATE to make.

Why are you so DESPERATE to make them?

It's a discussion board, it's entertainment, it's light relief, something to do in your spare time, somewhere to exchange ideas and meet other people. Not the be-all and end-all, a platform for preaching or a place to win souls.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016