homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Martin60: You, on the other hand... (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Martin60: You, on the other hand...
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Martin is two quarks playing poker.

Yes, I'd go with that.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bloody good question Ariel. It's a compulsion. Which is NO excuse.

I wouldn't mind the look of a corpse flower, but hopefully it will be a day or three before I smell like one.

Sigh.

I came here June 2001. Feels earlier. 46 then. I came very damaged just before incurring the worst to date. Nobody's fault. Any of it. And everybody's. I chose the wrong parents for a start.

I came as a neo-evangelical from a reformed cult that had had only one good thing going for it: it wasn't damnationist. Everything else was toxic, although it did reform gradually in my time of 30 years of ever deeper to complete association, until it was transformed.

It was pacifist but its God wasn't. An ... interesting combination. So I came here, the justifier of God the killer and inclusive. Another ... interesting combination.

And I encountered giants here.

And beyond. Baxter-Kruger. Bell. Nouwen. McLaren. Many more from history. Only in the past half dozen years have I been overwhelmed by postmodernism, now happily.

Where the hell am I going with this? Context. Story. Background. Explanation.

For my pissing off mousethief above all. And it's not him. It's me.

I come allergic to denominational claims of any and every kind. I HAVE to include those who reject me on some denominational basis.

He didn't. Reject me. But I kept assuming he did. I kept probing. He'd reassure. But some part of me didn't believe it.

I expect to be excluded by Roman Catholics and of course Muslims. I can cope with that. Mainly. I know LOVELY Roman Catholics and Muslims. And the Orthodox. I expect to be excluded by them. mousethief being a convert, a refugee from US evangelicalism to Orthodoxy I believe, just HAD to exclude me, in my mind.

And I found what I was looking for. Even when it wasn't there.

And even if it were, if it really is, I was wrong in how I behaved toward him.

And I'm sorry.

And I'm STILL behaving badly as paul pointed out.

"I do not understand what I do ..."

I claim to embrace myself, but I don't. I really, really don't. The raging adolescent. The worse man. Quite quietly, mundanely, ordinarily ghastly stuff. And I ... externalize it.

If I had twenty grand I'd put myself through no holds barred analysis for a year. But as I can't, you guys have had to put up with me 'refining' my fluxing position here. Warts and all.

I'm VERY grateful for SOF, for ALL of you, without exception and absent friends. Ken. God I miss him.

So, I'm in recovery, from life. And I want to make amends.

[ 02. June 2016, 20:39: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

It's a discussion board, it's entertainment, it's light relief, something to do in your spare time, somewhere to exchange ideas and meet other people. Not the be-all and end-all, a platform for preaching or a place to win souls.

Why can't it be all those things? I think an internet message board can be the ideal place to preach, win souls, or bare your own. It can be the stranger on a plane who hears stories you could never tell the people you have to face every day.

I love getting to know shipmates a little better, it doesn't all have to be limited to favorite movies or views on predestination.

So, I appreciate Martin's post above and was thinking about Ken yesterday. I really, really miss him, too.

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
I don't normally come here this late, but so glad I have. That is one hell of of post Martin.
Think KA might have been right with her ratio, even that sounds a bit generous now.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I appreciated Martin's post as well. I feel like I understand you a bit better, and that's a lovely thing.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hell of a post. Explains a lot. I really do appreciate it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Damn. [Tear]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Martin. For the information you give us in that post and for the way you present it. I suspect you have much to teach poor souls like me,

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy shit. Suddenly this whole drudging thing is worthwhile.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Overused]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Holy shit. Suddenly this whole drudging thing is worthwhile.

For real huh?

I'm gonna sing kumbaya, RooK. Kill me if you must, but that's the only way you'll stop me. This is a genuine fucking kumbayah moment. Here I go. SOMEONE'S CRYING, LOOORRRD....

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I very quietly burst in to tears, over my muesli, which I was concerned not to get snot in, mustn't disturb the missus, who is common sense on one and a half legs. I call her 'Miss'. I then all but silently burst out laughing, Kelly.

I am amazed at the sense of relief.

Thank you.

Thank you everyone.

Thank you God.

Thank you mousethief.

(Should have left it there, but I HAVE to spoil it: The raging 'quirky' pedant in me can't fish or cut bait over whether to change 'which I was concerned not to get snot in' to 'in which I was concerned not to get snot'. What do you think? I mean I know the latter is correcter but the former is colloquial. There had been a 'for' before the 'which'. That had to go.

Moods eh?)

Yours in subclinical OCD, ADHD, PTSD, Tourette's, Stendhal's (+ whatever else it is that overwhelms me with beauty), anxiety-depression, CLINICAL RABBIT IN THE HEADLIGHTS PARALYSING INTRUSIVE THINKING! Shame, denial, shame, projection, blah-di-bloody-blah

love

Martin

(What took me so FUCKING long?!)

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Thank you back, Marty.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never expected this thread to reach two pages, never mind six.

I certainly never expected it to get so real. Or so feel.

I almost think it needs to be Limboed as an example of how Hell Calls can contribute to this crazy little community in a positive way.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
So, I'm in recovery, from life. And I want to make amends.

I could offer to join the club. Or vice versa.

Missing Ken too.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Heh. Last night I almost typed "you're a mess, dude- join the club " but I decided I'd used up my smartass points for the night.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I never expected this thread to reach two pages, never mind six.

I certainly never expected it to get so real. Or so feel.

I almost think it needs to be Limboed as an example of how Hell Calls can contribute to this crazy little community in a positive way.

Go for it.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
but I decided I'd used up my smartass points for the night.

Nah I reckon you had some left.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
This is a genuine fucking kumbayah moment. Here I go. SOMEONE'S CRYING, LOOORRRD....

[Big Grin]
I was only thinking about Comet the other day when we had arrived at "group hugs" stage.
Then damn it all, the very same long-lost Comet turns up in Heaven looking for a meet ??!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:

( clears throat)

You're once... Twice... Two thirds a Martyyyy...

(Sorry. [Big Grin] )

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Err, correction. Comet-meet is in All Saints.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
quote:

( clears throat)

You're once... Twice... Two thirds a Martyyyy...

(Sorry. [Big Grin] )

I'm sorry, mdijon, for some reason I thought you were rolyn when I wrote that.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From one recovering mess to another...

Thanks for that Martin.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

"It's my Marty, I'll cry if I want to" ---- Kelly?

I foresee one of two outcomes here. Either this thread is moved elsewhere or comet turns up to whack us with something rusty.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This ain't comet's patch any more.

And yes, that grinding noise you hear is the whetstone. I'll check again in the morning: if you haven't all buggered off by then, there'll be trouble...

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

If we do it in a hurry it could be a Rush Limbo.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
(Should have left it there, but I HAVE to spoil it: The raging 'quirky' pedant in me can't fish or cut bait over whether to change 'which I was concerned not to get snot in' to 'in which I was concerned not to get snot'. What do you think? I mean I know the latter is correcter but the former is colloquial. There had been a 'for' before the 'which'. That had to go.

Moods eh?)

Snot acceptable.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

If we do it in a hurry it could be a Rush Limbo.
Groan.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:

There was I think you were trying to cosy up.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
quote:

There was I think you were trying to cosy up.
Don't somehow think Kelly is out to cosy up with me either, in Hell or out of it. [Devil]

When I lurked the Ship for a year before joining it did have a feeling of 'messed up dudes' only need apply.
It's been good. We piss each other off from time to time, that can be scary but the whole experience is often positive as this thread has well proven.

<moves swiftly out the way of DT's freshly sharpened trident>

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Look, seriously: I'd much rather this thread sank gracefully down the board than it turn into, I don't know, the Rolyn and Martin Love-In. But I can still set fire to it, if that's what you really want.

I'm glad it's all group hugs and kumbaya - now fuck off and bother some other board.

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Take our party elsewhere? [Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
, the Rolyn and Martin Love-In.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

mousethief man, it's like Cat on Red Dwarf turning in to Duane Dibbley the Duke of Dork, you've lost your mojo, your elan, your piss and vinegar, I mean you've grown mellow and groannnnn punny and ... I'm shaking my head at this unintended consequence. I mean HEAVY collateral man. Please can I piss you off royally for many years again? The cure looks worse than the disease!

I mean it's as if you feel SAFE or somethin'!

Just sayin'

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I used to regularly get called to Hell for posting one-liner jokes to other people's posts. I risked a couple here, hoping that nobody would call me out for falling back into bad habits. Not dreaming someone would call me out for falling into new.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

It's the snotty attitude rather than the length of the post.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Here we go with the snot again.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Were you here? The length of the post was the thing most cited by far. "One-liner! One-liner!" People accused me of one-liners long after I actually abandoned the practice. I had to challenge one person who accused me of posting one-liners to look at my last 50 posts and find a one-liner. They couldn't of course. (I checked first to make sure, I'm not stupid.)

So it may have been the snotty attitude more than the length. But you wouldn't have known that from the complaints.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

OK so that was a one-liner fail. It was meant to be a reference to snot and also, circularly, a one-liner criticizing one-liners. A deprecatingly self-referential one-liner that works on different levels.

Maybe it's not so compelling when you explain it. I tried.

(And yes I was here and I do remember it - as well as the last 50 post thing).

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

That's better. Whew!

--------------------
Love wins

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must confess, against my better judgement and having drunk a fair bit of wine, but I love you guys for making me laugh and cry in equal measure. If this is Hell, I'm in [Two face]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I used to regularly get called to Hell for posting one-liner jokes to other people's posts. I risked a couple here, hoping that nobody would call me out for falling back into bad habits. Not dreaming someone would call me out for falling into new.

I think you need to add "...because I personally just can't fucking win, can I?" to your sig [Big Grin]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
mt--

Your humor adds an important flavoring to the Ship. And IMHO one-liners are classic humor.
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Just for you, Kelly.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Killing me]

Glad I saw that before I turned in.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doone:
If this is Hell, I'm in [Two face]

This isn't Hell, it's Hello. Just add your own Kitty for extra special cuteness.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
But I can still set fire to it, if that's what you really want.

Yes please.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Well, since you asked so nicely, and the denizens seem to be intent on making this an outpost of the Circus, despite my entreaties...

Thread closed. Get off my lawn. Damn kids.

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016