homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Five for fighting: The everlasting NHL thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Five for fighting: The everlasting NHL thread
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whose watching? Have to admit, I was thinking of ignoring. But I just can't!! I cannot believe I got sucked into watching Toronto-Montreal!

Who else is stuck watching against their will and better judgement?

[Thread title change. Imaginary Friend.]

[ 17. October 2013, 10:56: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is your better judgement telling you not to watch simply because you don't really like hockey, or because it wants to make a statement about the politics of the situation?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So glad they don't cover the NHL here. It's bad enough that FB (Canadians) are falling all over itselves weeping for joy.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Is your better judgement telling you not to watch simply because you don't really like hockey, or because it wants to make a statement about the politics of the situation?

Nothing to do with that, it is all about the strike, where millionaire owners fought with millionaire players. The first half of the season was cancelled.

But I am back watching, as are most of Canadians. PeteC could probably get online streaming if he really wanted. And I can understand the not bothering. It's just everything is hockey in the winter here.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a local team, but they seem to be in receivership.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Sir Kevin - Coyotes, Hurricanes, Lightening, Panthers? Which?

I would suggest that the NHL should not be in any city that can grow palm trees, where there's never snow, and where people can have a conversation that includes "hey dude, you want to go to beach or go to the game".

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
:bump:

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I see that TV stations in the Excited States of America carry hockey. Saw St Louis beat Vancouver in a shootout in pub. Boo! The pub had a "Canadian burger" on the menu, but no Canadian puts an egg on their hamburger unless they are getting something at an American fastfood franchise. While I'm at it, there's no such thing as "Canadian bacon". And there is no such thing as "ice hockey". Hockey is always played on ice, and is just "hockey".

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Just be thankful your Canadian burger didn't come with a free Mountie toy.

I have to say that the current awfulness of the Caps is making my life a bit more enjoyable than it otherwise would be. They're actually behind the Jets (but only on games played) although I doubt that will last.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Habs are pleasantly surprising me this season.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A hockey thread. Great! The Wild got knocked out early, which is disappointing. The Blackhawks look strong but I'm putting my money on the Sharks. Stanley Cup winner to come from the Western Conference again.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm relieved that the Wings didn't need overtime to win Game 7, but not holding out much hope for them against Chicago in the next round.

Enjoying hockey is one of the many things that are suprising me since living in America...

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

New season?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been following. The Wild got off to a bit of a shaky start but it's wins on the trot now. The defence is looking strong. Jonas Brodin looks good with a couple of goals and last year's first round draft pick, Dumba, seems to be doing well too. Disappointed that Granlund isn't really fulfilling his promise. Hopefully it's just a matter of time.
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst to first for the Avalanche?

I'm waiting for a swoon. I have been impressed by the team so far, and Patty Roy seems to have lit a fire under the team's collective butts. Still, it's a long season, and a lot can go wrong. At this point, I think the playoffs would be an impressive achievement, but I certainly wouldn't say that to Coach's face.

Thursday night the Red Wings come to town, which is always big here, but even bigger with Roy's history against that club. If the Avs can take the Wings out, I'll be in full bandwagon mode.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are going to use this thread for the 2013/14 season, perhaps a title change to something more generic (Fight! The benches have cleared! perhaps? [Big Grin] ) would be in order.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Do you approve, Uncle Pete?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

--------------------
Brian Clough

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I approve most heartily. It reminds me both of a band name and for some reason the song Kung Foo Fighting.

I'm personally wondering about the "metropolitan" division. Metro hockey. Does this mean they use extra cosmetics?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=685005

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Olympic hockey, anyone?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So is it too early to discard the conventional wisdom that a goalie on a hot streak can win you the Cup?

Probably, but talk about some high scoring games. The Avs played the last four minutes of regulation without a goalie. When asked why he opted for the extra attacker so early, Roy replied as only Patrick Roy could, "I thought about pulling him with five minutes left."

Having the puck bounce your way, as the Avs seem to have had happen all year, may not be enough to win a seven game series against Chicago or St. Louis. But in the mean time, I plan on enjoying a crazy run, and you never know what might happen.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Game 4 tonight. If the Avs win tonight they'll win the series. If the Wild win, well...I think they might just do it.

It was nice to see the Blue Jackets beat the Penguins last night. I hope they go far. The Stars look like they might beat the Ducks. Getzlaf is out, I think. The Ducks rely too much on him and Perry. Still, if the Wild don't win I hope the Ducks do, seeing as it really is Selänne's last season this time.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Olé, Olé, Olé! Les Glorieux sont là!

Translation - Montréal Canadiens will beat all comers this year! [Big Grin]

(Actual translation: Hey, Hey, Hey! The Glorieux are there)

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Like Obi-wan, they are our only hope. Hard winter this.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
Game 4 tonight. If the Avs win tonight they'll win the series. If the Wild win, well...I think they might just do it.

The hope around here was that Stastny's heroics in game 1 in snatching victory from the jaws of defeat would put the Wild in a tailspin. The concern was that the Wild that showed up for the first part of that game were having too easy of a time, and might be a real threat. I'm starting to worry.

It is nice to see Stastny getting to be the hero- he played college for Denver while I was in law school there, so I've been watching him for a long time. (Colorado is an odd hotbed for college hockey- DU trails only Michigan for national titles, and tiny Colorado College, a liberal arts school in Colorado Springs with about 2000 undergraduates and no graduate programs (and my mother's Alma Mater), has one national title and a remarkable history of success against the big boys for such a small school.)

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
The hope around here was that Stastny's heroics in game 1 in snatching victory from the jaws of defeat would put the Wild in a tailspin. The concern was that the Wild that showed up for the first part of that game were having too easy of a time, and might be a real threat. I'm starting to worry.

Then again it could all boil down to home advantage. Both teams have been good at home all season. This is turning out to be a good series, whoever wins.

quote:
It is nice to see Stastny getting to be the hero- he played college for Denver while I was in law school there, so I've been watching him for a long time. (Colorado is an odd hotbed for college hockey- DU trails only Michigan for national titles, and tiny Colorado College, a liberal arts school in Colorado Springs with about 2000 undergraduates and no graduate programs (and my mother's Alma Mater), has one national title and a remarkable history of success against the big boys for such a small school.)
It's nice to see players develop. It's the same for me with Granlund. He used to play for my favourite team here in Finland, IFK Helsinki.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Grrr! Very vexing. Game 5 almost a carbon copy of game 1. If the Wild had kept their heads in the final minutes they would have won the series 4-1.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Anyone following the new hockey season? That was an ill tempered match between the Sharks and Ducks. Not far off 200 penalty minutes between the two sides.
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

My current level of engagement with hockey is to occasionally check how far down the standings the Jets have fallen. I'm kinda in the wrong timezone to watch any games, and even if I was up, I'd probably have to watch on a dodgy internet stream. Following the puck is hard enough at the best of times, but on a grainy, low frame rate, pirated feed it's nigh-on impossible.

But, a half-hearted "Go Jets" from me.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Sir Kevin - Coyotes, Hurricanes, Lightening, Panthers? Which?

I would suggest that the NHL should not be in any city that can grow palm trees, where there's never snow, and where people can have a conversation that includes "hey dude, you want to go to beach or go to the game".

Holy cow! I am in agreement with you on something. I don't support the Sharks for the very same reason.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Phoenix is a long way from the beach, and I don't know if it has palm trees or not, but they should never have been allowed to have a team. [Razz]

[ 27. October 2014, 18:57: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

The Rangers are bunch of dirty goons, especially Moore and Kreider. Lucky they play in that soft Eastern conference otherwise they'd get their arses whooped all the time. They had to play dirty against the Wild to win this one.
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Well, that ape Moore got a five game ban and forfeit of pay for elbowing Haula in the head. Should have been more but at least it's something.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Let us offer a prayer for Gordie Howe, that prairie kid who started playing NHL hockey before I was born, and continued to do so long after I was an adult. He was taken ill a few days ago.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Let us offer a prayer for Gordie Howe, that prairie kid who started playing NHL hockey before I was born, and continued to do so long after I was an adult. He was taken ill a few days ago.

Indeed. And there's the Gordie Howe hattrick. Let's hope he recovers.
Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

- Posted      Profile for Canucklehead   Author's homepage   Email Canucklehead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A hockey thread! Most excellent!

Still a proud member of Canuck Nation.

Posts: 135 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Welcome!

As you can see, the thread has been a bit quiet, but the more the merrier. [Smile]

(And Go Jets!)

--------------------
Brian Clough

Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

- Posted      Profile for Canucklehead   Author's homepage   Email Canucklehead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP Jean "Le Gros Bill" Beliveau. A legend from my youth when even out here on the left coast, I was a rabid Habs fan.
Posts: 135 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In San Diego where I was at university in the 1970s, I saw Gordie Howe on the ice at University Town Center. I had a flatmate who played hockey in the desert when I was an undergraduate. I hope to see an NHL game in person soon: a colleague may have extra tickets. He told me that it is worth the time to go to the venue and watch a match in person as it is light-years easier to see the puck! He coaches youth hockey after school. I do not skate: I surf....

More later.....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Does anyone here follow the KHL? On of our local teams (Jokerit) joined the league this season and they're doing very well, sitting third. It's fast, skillful hockey though not quite as physical as the NHL. Recently they beat SKA (where Kovalchuk plays his hockey nowadays). Kovalchuk lost his temper at the end, ended up starting a fight and leaving the game. He got booed big time by the Jokerit fans who were no doubt waiting for just such a thing to happen.
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Bumping this just in time for the playoffs. Winnipeg made it into the postseason! Go Jets!!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

I predict that the winner will come from the central division.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Montreal up 2 games on the Mike Duffys. Looks like Van will split the first 2 with Calgary. I'm watching more than usual this year.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
... the Mike Duffys. ...

No need to be insulting. [Smile]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

The Wild beat the Blues in six. Dubnyk was a rock again today. So it's the Blackhawks next. The Blackhawks will start the favourites but I'm expecting this series to be much closer than the two previous seasons. Plus the Blackhawks have to decide: Crawford or Darling on goal.
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go Habs go!
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016