homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 2015 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2015 Celebrity Death Pool
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is always risky, but he is the first death in the sport since Ayrton Senna, so these days it is a comparatively safe sport. Injuries are always a possibility, but death or serious,life changing, injury are very rare these days. This is a sad loss to the sport, and to his friends and family.

I saw an suggestion that Owen Chadwick has died - can anyone confirm or deny this?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like as if Owen Chadwick died on Friday 17 July - it's all over Twitter and on his Wikipedia page referencing Life at Selwyn

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well-known novelist E. L. Doctorow has died. I heard him speak about ten years ago, and have an autographed copy of his "City of God."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just heard on the BBC that actor Theodore Bikel has died. He's someone else I saw perform live (twice as Tevye and once in a solo concert of folk songs, etc.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Former star of The Apprentice, Stuart Baggs, is now trying to flog harps to angels. 27 is no age to go. [Tear]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr A P J Abdul Kalam, former president of India died this week - he was a good guy, deeply interested in working with young people. He was also one of the primary folk in the Indian Space Research Organisation.

Bombs and rockets as well, but I'd rather remember him for other reasons.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Former star of The Apprentice, Stuart Baggs, is now trying to flog harps to angels. 27 is no age to go. [Tear]

Oh wow. I mean he was a total jerk, but that is par for the course. I think he had a lot of potential as a businessman, given time.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Taken my predilection for picking members of the Taliban high command, I am rather surprised that Mullah Omar never featured on any of my lists. Not that he would have counted for any points anyway, since he apparently shuffled off his mortal coil in 2013.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Cilla Black has died - age 72. 28 points if anyone had her.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cilla Black and Paul O'Grady filmed a pilot show for a Marks and Gran sitcom about 18 months ago. It looked promising and I assumed it was Paul O'Grady's health held it back, but maybe it was both of them.

They got bored of the official warm up guy's efforts* part way through the filming and took over, which was hilarious, as they started telling stories of their friendship, things they've done on holiday together. They both came over as incredibly warm and wanting to give people a good time.

* Live recordings of TV shows employ a comic to warm up the audience and keep them "entertained" while the set is reset. From experience these are second string comics and don't change their material that often, if at all. I've seen the artists get as fed up of the same old same old jokes and cynicism a few times and start chatting to the audience themselves. Or cover when the guy for hire hasn't turned up, which is a whole lot better.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Les Munro has rejoined his squadron.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably not on anyone's list, and possibly not well-known outside Canada, but television presenter, designer and Personality I Didn't Know Was a Newfoundlander Chris Hyndman has died, aged only 49.

RIP.

[ 04. August 2015, 20:46: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
10 points for anyone who had George Cole

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:

He was so brilliant for so long it is hard to choose his best role - perhaps Sir Giles in Blott on the Landscape?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Probably not on anyone's list, and possibly not well-known outside Canada, but television presenter, designer and Personality I Didn't Know Was a Newfoundlander Chris Hyndman has died, aged only 49.

RIP.

I was so shocked to read about Chris's death.
[Frown] I used to watch "Steven and Chris" when it showed here a few years ago. Delightful man.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:

He was so brilliant for so long it is hard to choose his best role - perhaps Sir Giles in Blott on the Landscape?
I wall always remember him as Arthur Daley (or Flash Harry, a pre-cursor I guess). I know he did so many other things since that time, but he made that role his own, made the character type - loveable wheeling-dealing rogue - his own style.

The fact that Arthur Daley has become a watchword for a dodgy dealer. Rather than, say, Lovejoy (who was not dissimilar, and early).

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:

I wall always remember him as Arthur Daley (or Flash Harry, a pre-cursor I guess). I know he did so many other things since that time, but he made that role his own, made the character type - loveable wheeling-dealing rogue - his own style.

The fact that Arthur Daley has become a watchword for a dodgy dealer. Rather than, say, Lovejoy (who was not dissimilar, and early).

I can't imagine any character played by George Cole being nasty: that's why he employed "Minder". OTOH, Ian McShane (who played Lovejoy) does look potentially evil (so will never go short of work) and never needed a minder.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple that I haven't seen mentioned (apologies if I've missed them):

WWF/E legend "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Doyen of horse racing commentators Sir Peter O'Sullevan

[ 07. August 2015, 18:33: Message edited by: The Phantom Flan Flinger ]

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Taken my predilection for picking members of the Taliban high command, I am rather surprised that Mullah Omar never featured on any of my lists. Not that he would have counted for any points anyway, since he apparently shuffled off his mortal coil in 2013.

I've checked back and nobody had him in 2013 or 2014 so the scores for those years do not need to be adjusted.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I last summarised the state of play in April we have lost another 6 celebrities on our lists giving a total for the year of 13. The average age at death of these daisy pusher-uppers is a little over 80.

Leading our main competition is Cottontail with 90 points, followed by Gwai (75) and Dal Segno (50). In total 19 people have scored any points so 25 need to work on their predictive skills for next year. Although there are still five months left this year for any late rallies.

The quantity, not quality award is currently shared between Cottontail and Sipech with three each.

As things stand the most recent death was Val Doonican which would mean that Japes and Auntie Doris would share the Sudden Death award if nobody else on our lists were to die.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... Lovejoy ... never needed a minder.

He did have Eric and Tinker Dill looking out for him though. Anyway, he operated the nice end of Essex, where chaps are gentlemen*. [Big Grin]

[tangent]
* The auction-rooms in the books identified as that of the villain Charlie Gimbert were actually those in which my late father-in-law spent his entire career. He wasn't a villain though ...
[/tangent]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Susan Sheridan who played Trillion in HHGTG, has died.

I have also hear suggestions that David Nobbs - writer of Reginald Perrin - has died, but no confirmation yet. Reggie Perrin was one of the most brilliant series ever when it first aired.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

I have also hear suggestions that David Nobbs - writer of Reginald Perrin - has died, but no confirmation yet. Reggie Perrin was one of the most brilliant series ever when it first aired.

This is sadly true. David Nobbs was a brilliant writer, Perrin was only the most prominent of his creations. Here's his website.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I can't believe that John Scott, Organist and Director of Music of Saint Thomas Church and Choir School in New York, and before that at St. Paul's Cathedral, London, has died. I had the privilege of hearing him just two weeks ago (as well as previously).
[Votive]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was just coming to post this, Pigwidgeon. Very sad indeed - we met him a few times through the Cathedral Organists' Association. A gentleman and a truly gifted musician.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
12 points to anyone who had Stephen Lewis (aka Smiler from Last of the Summer Wine).

Source

Thanks for making us laugh.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a little sad that this went nearly unnoticed. I didn't see an obituary until I got a copy of today's FT.

Frances Kelsey has died. Most won't recall her name, but she was the FDA scientist who prevented the approval in the USA for the sale of thalidomide.

In an era of distrust of government, she's an example of its power for good.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I did notice this (BBC web site, I think), and thought she did do a great job. I wish we had had someone like her in this country.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my first post on these fora. I found this place while looking for info on Martin Crowe, and as I play two other death pools, decided to register. I'll see you all for the 2016 game! The rules here seem to be pretty much the same as in the other places I play

This will give me a chance to have three different lists. So many celebrities, so little time.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
It's a little sad that this went nearly unnoticed. I didn't see an obituary until I got a copy of today's FT.

Frances Kelsey has died. Most won't recall her name, but she was the FDA scientist who prevented the approval in the USA for the sale of thalidomide.

In an era of distrust of government, she's an example of its power for good.

Paywall nonsense, Frances Kelsey.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

RIP Batgirl

[ 19. August 2015, 09:31: Message edited by: The Phantom Flan Flinger ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Suvra Mukherjee, wife of the President of India has died aged 74.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Neurologist and author, Oliver Sacks, has died. [Votive]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The angels are screaming in delighted horror as Wes Craven joins the the DGA*

*Director's Guild of the Afterlife

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

We bid farewell to Dean Jones. I must admit, I didn't know he had still been around.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

No more kicks on Route 66, Martin Milner now patrolling under a higher authority.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Former England cricket captain, Brian Close, is now teaching batting techniques to the seraphim.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Eric Morecambe used to say, you could always tell the cricket season had arrived by the sound of leather on Brian Close. A truly fearless man.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I should have left Sir David Willcocks, former choirmaster of King's College on my list; he's now hearing his magnificent descants* being sung by the Heavenly Choir.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

* Obviously they're the descants used in Heaven - if they aren't, I'm going t'other way.

[ 17. September 2015, 15:04: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Brian Sewell has died. Apparently, he was as grumpy and miserable as his public persona indicated

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone have Jackie Collins?

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Tributes are coming in for American theologian Phyllis Tickle whose death has been announced tonight. [Votive]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

It really is over now that it's over. Baseball great Yogi Berra has died at the age of 90. Ten points to anyone who had him on their list.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It really is over now that it's over. Baseball great Yogi Berra has died at the age of 90. Ten points to anyone who had him on their list.

“You should always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise, they won’t come to yours.” - Yogi Berra, R.I.P.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

He is on my list. I thought that would protect him. I must be losing my touch. [Frown]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For my purposes I often think this thread should be renamed "What, were they still alive??"

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

The Typhoon has blown its last.

Frank Tyson dies at 85. I guess I'd better go to the cricket thread as well.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

The best leader the Labour Party never had has died at 98.

I didn't agree with all his politics or actions but he was solid as a rock, possessed moral and physical courage and was the only member of the Labour frontbench Thatcher had real reason to fear.

RIP Denis, united with Edna now.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Goodness - he was definitely on my "I thought he'd been dead for years" list.

RIP.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

He wasn't on Spike's "I thought he'd been dead for years" list. Two points.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016