homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 2015 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2015 Celebrity Death Pool
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heaven will be enjoying some Creole and Cajun cooking now that Paul Prudhomme has arrived.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Farewell Hugh Scully. You were one of the key elements that made up Sunday tea time, along with the blue tablecloth, the smell of pâté and the taste of buttered crumpets.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Heaven will be enjoying some Creole and Cajun cooking now that Paul Prudhomme has arrived.

Food will now be better in the afterlife. And a twins' reunion.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Former Conservation foreign secretary, deputy prime minister and chancellor of the exchequerGeoffrey Howe has died at 88.

David Cameron paid tribute to him in that article. I wish he and Osborne listened to him a bit more, for despite being a Thatcherite Tory he had ten times the empathy they show, possibly a consequence of attending Winchester (a genuine centre of excellence, if an expensive one) rather than Eton (where they teach beagling and some truly stupid games).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed. And of course one of the three Welshmen (none of whom was Neil Kinnock- others were Hezza and Tristan Garel-Jones who was the fixer behind the scenes) who brought down Thatch.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any other previous Chancellors of the Exchequer starting to feel nervous after the last week? Nigel Lawson? John Major?
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone have Gordon Honeycombed?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of Everton's finest, Howard Kendall has died at the age of 69.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think he was on anyone's list this year, but Labour MP Michael Meacher has died at the age of 75.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one from the I-didn't-know-she-was-still-alive files, actress Maureen O'Hara has died at 95.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite role for her was as Mrs. McLintock, opposite John Wayne.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lisa Jardine, the oldest daughter of Jacob Bronowski, but an amazing broadcaster, polymath and academic in her own right, died yesterday.

I saw her chair a discussion at the IWM last year on the place of the WW1 artists in history, which was fascinating. As well as chairing that discussion, she wrote something on the new WW1 galleries that the art exhibition accompanied.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Philip French, long time Observer film critic, has gone to the great Odeon in the sky.

[ 30. October 2015, 18:08: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Al Molinaro, character actor on Happy Days, The Odd Couple, etc., has died at 96.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, yep, yep. [Frown]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A new prosecutor for the afterlife, [URL=Former U.S. senator, actor Fred Thompson dies: report http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0SQ2HD20151101]Fred Thompson dies. [/URL]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

It's going to be a busy day for St Peter:

Playwright and actor Colin Welland has died at 81.

England batsman Tom Graveney at 88.

And
the voice of Radio 4 for many years, Peter Donaldson at just 70.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helmut Schmidt has died. I think I had him on my list years ago (when I concentrated on international political figures).

Meanwhile, yet another musical figure has joined the choir, with the passing of Allen Toussaint.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

It's the time of year when Mr Rogue earns his crust. One of racing's greatest jockeys in an era of great jockeys has died. Pat Eddery was just 63.

RIP Pat, and thanks.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carol Doda dies at age 78

Not sure how far her fame spread outside of San Francisco, but her act at the Condor was a must-see for years, for San Francisco tourists.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not the member of Motorhead I had expected to go, but Phil Taylor has died.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, farewell Helmut Schmidt: not only Chancellor of Germany but also a gifted pianist - the recording he is on the the JSBach concerto for four pianos and orchestra is fantastic. He also recorded the Mozart concert for three pianos for EMI, while he was Chancellor.

Now that's what I call a politician with 'hinterland'.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Warren Mitchell has died. He will be known forever for playing the bigoted Alf Garnett in Til Death Us Do Part.

I can't help thinking how apposite it is for him to die now, the day after the attacks in Paris.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Warren Mitchell has died. He will be known forever for playing the bigoted Alf Garnett in Til Death Us Do Part.

I can't help thinking how apposite it is for him to die now, the day after the attacks in Paris.

Interesting that he was only six years older than the guy who played the son-in-law(Cheri Blair's father). Whereas on All In The Family, the American knockoff, the difference between the actors playing those characters(the SIL being being the film director Rob Reiner) was 23 years.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Madam Cyn, the brothel keeper Cynthia Payne has died aged 82. She campaigned to relax the sex laws in the UK and stood as an MP for the Payne and Pleasure party but was never elected.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I just wanted to point out that I am heading into the home stretch with a clean sheet. If you want to feel confident about making it through 2016, PM me and I'll consider putting you on my list. For appropriate consideration, of course.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Well, I just wanted to point out that I am heading into the home stretch with a clean sheet. If you want to feel confident about making it through 2016, PM me and I'll consider putting you on my list. For appropriate consideration, of course.

Me too. It's remarkable how some of my nominees are now bouncing around in apparent full health.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:

Me too. It's remarkable how some of my nominees are now bouncing around in apparent full health.
Especially those who were diagnosed with terminal cancer a year ago.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An unwanted 60 points for anyone who had Jonah Lomu.

40 is way too young - condolences to the rugby fraternity in New Zealand and beyond.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not only phenomenal on the pitch but someone who raised the profile of the sport. I'm not particularly a rugby fan but I knew about him and exclaimed out loud when I saw about his death.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

P. F. Sloan, writer of "Eve of Destruction" and many other songs of my teens has died at age 70.

--------------------
~Tortuf

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not somebody who was widely known, and unlikely to be reported by mainstream news outlets, but former Yorkshire Television / ITV announcer Redvers Kyle has gone to the great continuity booth in the sky.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Henry VIII has died (as has Captain Beaky)

[ 21. November 2015, 23:08: Message edited by: Ann ]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What you mean is Captain Beaky has died. Everything else he did pales beside that. He is probably turning in his grave already that this is what most people remember him for.

The bravest animals in the land are Captain Beaky and his band
That's Timid Toad, Reckless Rat, Artful Owl and Batty Bat
They march through the woodlands singing songs
That tell how they have righted wrongs

A work of utter genius.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
The bravest animals in the land are Captain Beaky and his band
That's Timid Toad, Reckless Rat, Artful Owl and Batty Bat
They march through the woodlands singing songs
That tell how they have righted wrongs

Hissing Sid is innocent!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Je Suis Hissing Sid.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not likely to be very missed, but Jihadi John appears to have been killed.

On the other hand, Mokhtar Belmokhtar, previously thought to be dead, at the moment appears to still be among the living. For now.

What's the current score, by the way?

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When will the 2016 game be posted? I don't want to miss it!

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Christmas I resist the urge to start the Death Pool earlier each year.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

It's December!

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Baker:
It's December!

And it's still too early. By about a fortnight IMO.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On reviewing my 2015 list, I noted that I had forgotten Max Keeping on my list. I hereby claim 27 points for the late, local, broadcaster. He died (not before time) on October 1, 2015, aged 73.

Max Keeping

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

In the four months since my last report just three of our celebrities have died. Max Keeping (as noted above), Denis Healey and Mohammed Emwazi. Good points to An die Freude for the last of these. Can we try to keep me a bit busier in next year's game which has now been opened, please?

Top of the leaderboard is Cottontail with 90 points. Then Gwai & An die Freude with 75 & 73 respectively.

Cottontail also leads the Quantity, not Quality standings with Sipech. They have three each, one ahead of Gwai, Dal Segno, Japes and Stejjie. 22 of the 44 Shipmate entrants this year have yet to score.

If nobody else dies this year (and our current form suggests this is a distinct possibility) the Sudden Death award will go to An die Freude for Mohammed Emwazi.

The new Why Does it Always Happen to Me award is currently going balaam's way who took Terry Pratchett and BB King off this year's list. I'm sure they would like to thank you.

The average age at death of the 16 celebrities whose deaths have been successfully predicted this year is 77.5 years.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
William McIlvanney has died.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Redoubtable actor Robert Loggia is worth 15 last minute points if anyone had him.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicholas Smith, the last surviving member of the cast of Are You Being Served? has died.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Nicholas Smith, the last surviving member of the cast of Are You Being Served? has died.

He is not the one I would have suspected would be the last. The end of a particular era in British comedy.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holly Woodlawn.

Believe it or not, I have actually seen her in a movie, Andy Warhol's Trash.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Top of the leaderboard is Cottontail with 90 points. Then Gwai & An die Freude with 75 & 73 respectively.

Cottontail also leads the Quantity, not Quality standings with Sipech. They have three each, one ahead of Gwai, Dal Segno, Japes and Stejjie. 22 of the 44 Shipmate entrants this year have yet to score.

Yikes! I thought I was doing very averagely. Now I am asking myself: Do I really want to win this. [Ultra confused]

(Actually, I am slightly chuffed, which makes me a bad bad human.)

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Anthony Valentine, possibly one of the smoothest baddies on television, has died.

I wasn't a fan of Colditz, but he was rather delicious in Raffles. [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016