homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Acronymity (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Acronymity
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, Miss Amanda knows that BVM isn't a German luxury car, and that MBS is not an advanced degree in glib talk.

But here she is, having gone through life thinking that PSA meant Prostate Specific Antigen, only to learn that it actually means Penal Substitution Atonement. Silly her. What could she have been thinking?

For all she knows, PSA could also refer to childish rivalry between brother and sister (Puerile Sibling Antagonism, don't you know?)

The game: Player 1 lists an acronym commonly believed to mean one thing. Player 2 sets the record straight by supplying what it actually means (at least in Player 2's rather active imagination) and suggests a new acronym for the next round.

Shall we begin?

MD

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
/Not part of the game .../

I'm old enough to recall when STD meant "Subscriber Trunk Dialling" on the telephone.

LSD, of course, was money.

/Tangent ends/

So here goes: BSE: Bovine spongiform encephalopathy ("Mad cow disease").

[ 29. March 2015, 14:46: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry ... forgot to pick up your "MD".

What about "Monday Diets".

Now for BSE.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BSE: Funny you should mention that. As you probably know, the Sherlock Holmes stories have many fans, some of whom have banded together in societies for the further study of the stories and the occasional good dinner. In New York, the society calls itself the Baker Street Irregulars...but it is difficult to gain entry to that august club. As a remedy, many so-called "scion societies" (or smaller groups) have been formed. One takes its inspiration from the gruesome story of "The Engineer's Thumb." They call themselves the Baker Street Engineers (or BSE for short).

Now why would I be thinking of IRS at this time?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I wouldn't know - are you suffering from Irritating Rheumatism Syndrome?

Now, being a Trainfan who lives in East Anglia: what about LNER?

[ 29. March 2015, 16:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well of course. You use rolling-stock numbers to help you sleep, since you are a victim of being unable to remember Wesleyan hymn-tunes - or Low Night-time Evangelical Recall

Here's another horror for you: GCSE

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent] Everyone knows that GCSE actually stands for General Collapse of secondary education - which is too close to the real meaning to count.[/tangent]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GCSE is an order of chivalry awarded to variety artistes from the north of England, and stands for (Knight) Grand Cross of the Order of the Salford Empire, after the toughest venue south of Glasgow.

As if that wasn't irrelevant enough, what does MTBF now stand for?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sioni, old chap, I'm surprised you're not familiar with the Merthyr Tydfil Basketweaving Fesival, although perhaps you're more familiar with its acronym in Welsh.

But what's all this CPAP in aid of?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Sioni, old chap, I'm surprised you're not familiar with the Merthyr Tydfil Basketweaving Fesival, although perhaps you're more familiar with its acronym in Welsh.

But what's all this CPAP in aid of?

Few have heard (and that's intentional) of the Coronation Peroration Abbreviation Patrol, who station themselves in the crowd when a newly-crowned monarch is giving his/her acceptance speech, and signal when it's time to quit.

But what is this SPCA I've heard so much of?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frogs legs being the gourmet delicacy that they are, leaving countless frogs unable to get around, Special Prosthetics for Challenged Amphibians has come to the rescue.

MYOB

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely everyone knows that MYOB is a term for a stockbroker: Monetarian Yelling Out Bollocks.

Up next: BUGB

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone who watched Sunday night television in the late 1990s knows that BUGB stands for:

Ballykissangel University Guild of Bellringers.

Now one close to my heart: FRCO

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Anyone who's ever bought a train ticket would admit that the Friggin' Railway Companies Overcharge!

RSVP

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the Royal Society of Veterinary Practitioners, dontcha know.

what's NASA ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought everyone knew that that's the Norwegian Amateur Submariners' Association.

A friend said they studied at RADA but I've no idea what that means. Can you help?

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He/she clearly studied under Ginger Baker and Roger Taylor at the Really Amazing Drummers' Academy.

But what is this BBC whose programmes are supposed to be the envy of the world?

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, it's the organisation that Belatedly Bollocked Clarkson .
Found an interesting looking website but I haven't opened it yet because it tells me that it's NSFW . Whatever can that mean?

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New Science Fiction Writing, i think.

Should I be concerned that someone responded with ROFLMAO to an amusing video I posted on social media recently

[ 30. March 2015, 12:05: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Ah, this is clearly one for that nice Mr. Farridge (rhymes with "kipper") and the warm welcome he offers to EU miggrants:

Relatives Of Foreign Labourers Must Authenticate Origin.

What about ASLEF?

[ 30. March 2015, 12:16: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the All Scotland Lacrosse Examination Forum.

Now, are we all in UNISON?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What, the United Nations Icing Sugar Observation Network? Sure am!

What should I expect from membership of the SNP?

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
What should I expect from membership of the SNP?

You won't get anything other than Sinister, Nasty Porpoises.

You might be better off with the NAACP.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

The Northampton Apoplectic Association of Co-respondent Pharmacists? (It has a very discrete, though clearly far from discreet, membership).

What about ABTA? (No, I didn't say "ABBA").

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Afternoon Beer Topers' Association? Ah, happy days...

EPNS?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Everyone knows that old folk fall asleep at unexpected times. Thus, Elderly Persons' Nodding-off Society.

NSPEBSQSA

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

I've always fancied being a member of the Nova Scotia Polio and Equestion Beaver Scout Quatermaster Superidentendants' Association.

But just what is it that the RSPCA do?

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its the Rutland Society for the Promotion of Calvinist Anarchists

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

[Overused] But can you give us a new acronym to suggest?
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Oh, dear, this thread hasn't died for lack of a new acronym, has it?

Well, then . . .

USSR

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unbelievably Snarky Society of Rudeness.

BART

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The British Association of Redundant Technophobes provides a much needed sanctuary for those ousted from their jobs by new technology.

What about that august body we all admire: OFSTED ? (I already know of one or two alternatives for that one!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

OFSTED: Oh F***! School Teachers' Examination Day!

Going international: UNESCO

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not content with body sculpting and implants, some people have now turned their attention to their pets. It stands for Unicorn, Narwhale & Equine Surgically Creative Operations.

But I live in a city renowned for changing its departmental acronyms all the time. Can someone help me out with DFAT?

[ 03. April 2015, 20:27: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure. We got tired of having people confused about which department was now dealing with which issue, so we now have a Department For All Things.

What else is GNU?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thankfully not one I've has to use for a while but if you do need to use this it's Goodness, no underwear!

How about NHS?

[ 03. April 2015, 21:57: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was formed in 1948 when Norma Had Shingles and it developed from then.

I have been wondering what the C of E is all about.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Sorry ... forgot to pick up your "MD".

What about "Monday Diets".

Now for BSE.

Bovine Scatology Everywhere!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

This one seemed to get overlooked:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
I have been wondering what the C of E is all about.

Centrality of Evensong, obviously. [Smile]

In a past life, I was a member of NALGO, but I've completely forgotten what it stood for.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You were in the Nikon Athletic Ladies' Gams Organization, a group of women athletes who take selfies of their calves.

But whatever is meant by AFL-CIO?

[ 04. April 2015, 01:33: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

The lament of renters who can't afford to buy: Aw F*ck Leases - Can't I Own?

PhD

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, yes--the classic "Piled higher (and) deeper"!

SHIELD

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The acronym game was much loved in the old days when there were national airlines, so to start you off with Belgium's national carrier

Such A Bloody Experience Never Again

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

but you wanted SHIELD..
Singing Haydn In English Leads to Disaster

Now someone deal with ARNCM

[ 04. April 2015, 13:16: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

All Really Naughty Children Mellow

Currently watching Red Dwarf, so can anyone tell me what a GELF is?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That would be a Great English Light Fixture, presumably like this one.. [Killing me]

Any takers for FRICS?

[ 04. April 2015, 23:40: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Federation of Retired Incompetent Clerical Staff, of course.

GIRM

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, its the clerical offshoot of the Women In Red Hats Society: Girls In Red Mitres. A small but growing membership, I hear.

Another departmental conundrum:

DOCS

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Diligent Otters Carrying Salmon.

YMCA?

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Young Men Craving Artichokes

Of course, half of them will be FRCO ChM

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016