homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How high up the candle are you?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How high up the candle are you?
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Test your candle height/depth here

I came out all lacey, bells and smells. Ah, for the church of my youth.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Top of the flame -- but I already knew that.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay, I'm top of the flame too! But I only answered as per the usual tat 'n' stuff at our shack [Smile]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom of the candle for me, free from all forms of liturgical piffle!

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom of the candle, suits me just fine

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom of the candle - thank God!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They almost never had an answer I would choose honestly. So I wound up "top of the flame." I would have chosen the answer, "Who cares?" for several of the questions, or, "If it's practical" for others.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like liturgy, but I know nothing about clothes and stuff. Therefore it's no surprise that I ended up low down the candle.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Middle of the candle. But I did sort of aim some of my answers to place me there.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Middle. But they have no idea what the bottom end is like! So perhaps I'm really middle of the top.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Top of the Flame Quaker!*

What would George Fox say?

*I was a bit spikey when I was still an Anglican.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom of the candle, no surprise there.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please - what is this thing called "candle" of which you speak? [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got 'middle' - but then again, it was pretty easy to work out which answers would give such a result.

It struck me when completing the quiz that I know more about 'high-end' liturgical tat and stuff in RC and Orthodox circles than I do within the Anglican communion - because most Anglican parishes I have contact with are either snake-belly low (so low they almost drop out of the bottom) - or else Middle of The Road or 'catholic-lite' liberal Catholic ones.

I've never been to an Anglo-Catholic High Mass - although I've attended plenty of Orthodox Liturgies, some RC masses and even Benedictions and Expositions ... which I must admit, I do find difficult ...

As with everything else, all these things are relative. Some of my old 'house-church' friends and even my Baptist pals would probably think I'm way, way up the candle by their standards - but I'm pretty low down compared to the real spikey end of things.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally, I've noticed that they don't have any candles at all on the altar -- sorry 'table' -- at our local parish church.

Kill-joys ...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom of the candle, in fact I needed some lower options to a few questions.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is an Anglican quiz. We don't have individual candles on our altars, our altar servers don't wear cottas, our cassocks don't have hoods, we don't have a thing called "high mass" (or "high liturgy") (Or "solemn mass" -- as opposed to what? frivolous mass?), or sanctuary slippers (although that would be a great name for a rock band), or boat boys (sounds rude); nor do we use the word "thurifer."

We're not on your candle. We're not even in your candelabra. But does that make us low church? This is navel-gazing Anglicans thinking they're the only people in the world.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Top of the flsme - even though i hate cottas and lace.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Anglicans thinking they're the only people in the world.

You mean we aren't?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I was waiting for an Anglican person to give mousethief this answer.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

You mean we aren't?
Duh. Methodists.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

So what are you proposing, Mousethief?

An Orthodox Quiz which tests ...

- How phyletic are you?

- How anti-Semitic are you?

- How racist are you?

- How homophobic are you?

- How fascist are you?

Because the way things are going on the ether, that's all I'm picking up from the Orthodox out there at the moment.

So, the quiz was concocted by Anglicans and addresses purely Anglican concerns? Well, duh ... the altar servers who came up with it happened to be Anglican.

If they were Orthodox or RCs or whatever else then their quiz would have reflected that.

Which would have been fine. I wouldn't have come along whining, 'Oh, look at those Orthodox, they think they're the only ones around ...'

Next time I see an Orthodox blog or an Orthodox book or an Orthodox website or something, perhaps I ought to throw a hissy fit and say, 'Oh look, that's an Orthodox site/book/quiz of some kind ... they must think they're the only ones around ...'

Give us a break ...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom of the candle, unsurprisingly, and would have been lower if the questions had had more options.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strokes Mousethief's fur gently with one finger

It was meant to be fun, sweetie. [brick wall]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bottom of the candle. Under it, more like! And, there were no organist questions. The questions were rigged!!!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

You could call it "how high up the Anglcian candle are you?" The bullshit you posted is unnecessary and stupid.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Please - what is this thing called "candle" of which you speak?

[Killing me]

I came out as "middle" - no real surprise there, considering my first 15 years as an Anglican were spent in the Church of Ireland, which barely reaches the base of the candlestick. We're a bit further up the candle here*, but ISTM that most of the options offered in the quiz were so close to the flame that I was in danger of burning myself ... [Devil]

* Plenty of bowing, crossing oneself and the odd genuflection, but no bells or smells.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

You could call it "how high up the Anglcian candle are you?"
Ah but there is no such thing as an Anglican candle. Anglicans have no orders of our own but that we inherited from the one, true church. Same with our candles.

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find modern electric lights more efficient and illuminating than any part of a candle.
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was the candles question a trick? Surely every good Anglican knows that you have 2 on the altar and then a further 4 within the sanctuary, 2 each side of the altar, just as Jesus (or Percy Dearmer at least) intended?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah but there is no such thing as an Anglican candle. Anglicans have no orders of our own but that we inherited from the one, true church. Same with our candles.

What are you talking about? We are the one true church. Everybody knows that God is an Anglican.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember doing this previously. Most of the questions, my answer would be "I don't give a f*ck".

So I guess I am several feet below the candle.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Top of the flame.

As Spike said
quote:
Everybody knows that God is an Anglican.
, which only leaves me to add and God's own country is Wales.

Arethosemyfeet: I'm shocked, shocked: everyone knows you have 6 candles on the altar, at least 2 on the sanctuary floor, plus another two that are carried in by the acolytes.

[ 27. June 2015, 15:40: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
What are you talking about? We are the one true church. Everybody knows that God is an Anglican.

Baptist Trainfan coughs discreetly, then louder ... Err - are you absolutely sure?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely! The Book of Common Prayer is the Inspired Word of God.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Which one? [Devil]

I vote 1637.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

1662 of course. Are you implying there may be more than one?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yea and amen. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

You mean we aren't?
Duh. Methodists.
As Donald Soper said, a preaching order of the Church of England.

[ 28. June 2015, 17:55: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rock bottom of the candle parish in a fairly high church diocese

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Top of the flame for me - though as others said, you know how to manipulate the questions to come out just about anywhere you like.

As for me, I really don't like cottas and lace: our servers, like the clergy wear cass-alb (without hood)and look darn good!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Astonished to find myself at the bottom of the candle. I rather liked the lace and the five-foot candles; didn't mind the incense; didn't know about maniples but made it up (I thought) by identifying the thurifer. I even lied about the servers, upping the number I prefer. And for all that, I was advised at the end to take up a tambourine. Something's dodgy here.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

@Mousethief, I don't understand why you've become so agitated by this one. It's all a bit of fun and if anything sends up Anglican 'spikiness' -- I certainly didn't read it as some kind of promotion of Anglican exclusivity.

If it was then pot meet kettle ...

Hence my rather hyperbolic response.

I'm certainly aware that the Orthodox tend to be a lot less 'self-conscious' than many High Church Anglicans can me when it comes to rubrics, rituals and twiddly bits.

The point I was making - clumsily no doubt - was that out in the Ortho-ether I come across far more outrageous comments - and not only from the convertititis types - than I do from High Church Anglicans - although I've certainly seen some ker-razy stuff online from the top and spikey end of the Anglican spectrum.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Top of the flame Roman Catholic here!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bell Book and Candle

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Top of the flame as it happens, but what I want to see is Vatican II liturgy with style and care.

Yes, I know what a maniple is, but I don't want it used.

Yes, I'd like to see a High Mass set used every sung mass, but only if there are two deacons. And if there's only one deacon, s/he should be in a dalmatic.

Catholics are not a funny sort of Anglican. Anglicans, of all sorts, are a very funny sort of Catholic.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Or,as a CoE friend said to me:"I'm a Catholic - you're a Roman."

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd need a cherry picker, tall stepladder and stand on tiptoes to reach the bottom of the candle.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by jacobsen
quote:
Or,as a CoE friend said to me:"I'm a Catholic - you're a Roman."
Err, no. As an old friend of mine would tell you, the Roman church may call itself catholic but it actually fulfils all the requirements to be properly called a sect.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good Lord - I am apparently top of the candle. All I can say is that standards must be slipping down the wax at quite an alarming rate!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016