homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Only Connect (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Only Connect
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doublethink.: Are they linked by the golden mean ?
No, in fact I had to look up what the golden mean means [Smile] I'd be curious to know how you think these three figures are linked to it.

The x'es on David's shoulder are irrelevant (in fact I only just saw them [Smile] )

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they're all biblical figures. Are their countries significant? Christ in Brazil, David in Italy, Matthew in Russia?

(I don't think it's anything to do with World Cup winners... [Ultra confused] )

[ 09. October 2015, 19:27: Message edited by: Ariel ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ariel: Are their countries significant?
No, I'm afraid not. I just couldn't resist putting Christ in Rio. I've seen it a number of times, it's very beautiful.

(I have a friend who lives in Rio. If you squeeze yourself behind her fridge and twist your neck in a rather unnatural way, you can just see Christ the Redeemer as a lit dot at night through a small window. She is immensely proud of this: she can see it from her home! [Smile] )

[ 09. October 2015, 19:44: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Doublethink.: Are they linked by the golden mean ?
No, in fact I had to look up what the golden mean means [Smile] I'd be curious to know how you think these three figures are linked to it.

The x'es on David's shoulder are irrelevant (in fact I only just saw them [Smile] )

Well Michelangelo is known to have used the golden ratio in his work, and so do some iconographers - wasn't sure about Christ the Redeemer.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Doublethink.: Well Michelangelo is known to have used the golden ratio in his work, and so do some iconographers - wasn't sure about Christ the Redeemer.
Hmm, a quick Google (in English and in Portuguese) didn't reveal anything. It would have been interesting.

You're thinking much too complicated.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The fourth in the set is another icon?

Is it about a genealogical link?

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: The fourth in the set is another icon?
It is another Biblical figure.

quote:
Ariel: Is it about a genealogical link?
Hmm ... Almost but not quite.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
It is another Biblical figure.

Well yes, that was sort of obvious. Now to narrow it down to a few hundred. Wild guess: the fourth in the set is a painting featuring Abraham?

Jesus, descended from David. Matthew compiled a genealogy in his Gospel. They all had good friends named John (or Jonathan)?

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: Jesus, descended from David. Matthew compiled a genealogy in his Gospel. They all had good friends named John (or Jonathan)?
It isn't really about Christ, David and Matthew themselves.

I like the genealogy thing: one generation following another ...

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Christ the Redeemer is Art Deco, David is Renaissance, St Matthew is either medieval or modern in the medieval style - so maybe ... this ?

[ 09. October 2015, 20:56: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

The styles in which the images were made is not relevant. It is about Christ, David and Matthew. I just put pictures because they look pretty [Smile]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Technically my image had the holy spirit in - I was hoping the incorporeal Godhead counted as a biblical character in a succeeding generation ...

(Says she as she backpedals furiously.)

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Doublethink.: Technically my image had the holy spirit in - I was hoping the incorporeal Godhead counted as a biblical character in a succeeding generation ...
Ah yes. No, the Holy Spirit doesn't figure in this.

Christ, David, Matthew ... what does this make you think of?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

its the David that is throwing me to be honest.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it old rocky?

The last three 'Doctor Who' were Christ(opher Eccleston), David Tennant and Matt(hew) Smith, the current being Peter Capaldi.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

YES!!! [Yipee]

[ 09. October 2015, 21:12: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'd never have got that.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, these get harder to set.

What connects...

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4

--------------------

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very good. Now that I've had time to digest I've got the answer-I think you'd have to be crackers not to get this one.
Bourbon, Bath Oliver (which is an absolutely brilliant clue- Mr Reed of blessed memory in the tub), Nice, Lincoln- all biscuits!

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

Exactly so. I wasn't sure about the second clue, but at least we get a wet and soapy Oliver Reed, so it can't be all bad.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile]
OK, what comes fourth?
One
Two
Three

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Is that batsman Gary Sobers ?

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Yes

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

Hmm, could it be numbers? 617 Squadron - but Sir Garfield Sobers' highest score was 365 and he took 235 test wickets and 1,043 first class wickets, so I can't see any sequence starting there. Doesn't look hopeful.

The aircraft is a Lancaster. If Sobers and played for Yorkshire it could be English royal houses, but he didn't, so it isn't.

Tricky.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I think that's the recently renamed Mount Denali in Alaska. Maybe it's about name changes?

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Two of the three pictures have been correctly identified. [Smile]
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

Ah, the aircraft is a Lincoln, an improved version of the Lancaster.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

[Smile]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John F. Kennedy: the fourth American President to be assassinated (after Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Yup, that seems right to me.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Albertus seems to have gone quiet ... so dare I start a new round?

What comes next?

Victory
Torch
Glory.

I won't give you a clue just yet, but the connection is very specific.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Death?
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a hymn connection.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
John F. Kennedy: the fourth American President to be assassinated (after Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley).

Yes, just right, that's the one I was thinking of. I would also have accepted Harding as he was the next one to die in office.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Thanks Albertus.

My clues have nothing whatsoever to do with hymns, or death. But they are definitely subterranean.

[ 11. October 2015, 16:47: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

Could they be tunnels/mines in the First World War?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Something to do with tunnels, yes; but nothing to do with the First World (or any other) War. I suggest you transport yourself eastwards.

[ 12. October 2015, 21:30: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Tunnels on the Kalka-Shimla Railway.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

You're right about railways (of course!), but it's the wrong country and they aren't the names of tunnels.

(Do the tunnels on the Simla railway have names? I thought they only had numbers, but I may be wrong).

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

At least one of the tunnels on the Shimla railway is called Victory tunnel, and as it has well over a hundred I thought maybe ...

[ 12. October 2015, 22:23: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Korean metro stations ?

[ 12. October 2015, 22:25: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Can you be more specific? And, if so, what's the next one in the sequence?
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Reconstruction

Last station on the Chollima line of the Pyongyang metro.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

... is the correct answer! Over to you.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

[Yipee]

Puts on thinking cap

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

What is the connection between:

• Cutlery
  • Shoes
  • The Knowledge

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All things that can be polished?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Nope

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are they requirements for taxi drivers in various cities?

London black cab drivers have to pass "The Knowledge", most places probably require drivers to wear shoes, and I could imagine some arcane requirement to carry cutlery...

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Looks like a City of London connection to me. Is it about:

The Worshipful Company of Cutlers
The Worshipful Company of Cordwainers
The Worshipful Company of Hackney Cab Drivers?

[ 13. October 2015, 19:16: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016