homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Only Connect (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Only Connect
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martial arts belts?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I'm allowed to Google, what I'm getting is something to do with Magic (the Gathering).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Colours of the two football teams in Guingamp, Brittany. The blue and white is the local team which has origins in the RC church (hence the royalist colours) and the black and red are En Avant de Guingamp who play in Ligue 1 and won the French Cup in 2009 and 2014. They play in black and red because they were founded in 1912 by local schoolteachers and at that time the teachers' union was strongly influenced by anarcho-syndicalism, whose colours these are.

NB I do not for a moment think that this is the connection you had in mind. But it is all true!

[ 15. October 2015, 22:20: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Since I'm allowed to Google, what I'm getting is something to do with Magic (the Gathering).

You'd be missing green.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

white
blue
black
red

They're the colours on the Korean flag, but it sounds like you want an ordering.

They could be colours associated with the four elements by someone.

They're the colours for wiring in a three-phase electric supply in some systems.

no prophet is Canadian, so for him I think the phases are red/black/blue, with white for neutral.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not magic, not teams, nor wiring, nor are the colours in order. There is a common thing that links.

[ 15. October 2015, 22:49: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stars?
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Ariel has it. They're kinds of dwarf star, aren't they?

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, not stars, dwarf or other kinds.

Let me know if/ when a hint should be given.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

I think we need a bit of a hint as to which of the many things that connects those four colours you're thinking of.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Let's see if this helps:

Golden (rare)

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we playing quidditch?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hearthstone?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Animals?
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are they the most common colours on international flags?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sipech: Are they the most common colours on international flags?
In that case, green and yellow would be missing?

[ETA: I found an interesting page about the statistics of international flag colours. I like this kind of geekiness.]

[ 16. October 2015, 09:19: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Morgellons fibres on skin? (I'd never heard of them).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect birds. But I'm not sure which type...
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I guess we're waiting for some prophetic words at the moment (although he may insist he isn't one [Smile] )

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Liturgical colours?

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
colours of collar for different kind of workers
eh blue-collar work, white collar work etc ?

though this link says Gold, not Golden

[ 16. October 2015, 12:09: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
I suspect birds. But I'm not sure which type...

This response is the closest of very far away responses because it is about natural versus nautical things.

The non-propheticalisticness is because of sleep, perchance to dream. My dream was of canoe trips in the boreal forest. They are recurrent for me.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Herons?

(You know I'm not sure if I actually want to get this, and have the stress of setting one!)

[ 16. October 2015, 13:20: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Or pine?

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Almost there with your second guess.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I think I should probably give it too you for "pine". The difference between pine and spruce is often not known and both are evergreens. They are all species of spruce trees, describing the hue of needles. The golden spruce is a rare mutation and not a species. Sacred to to Haida.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

I was considering leaving it for someone else to make the final connection. Oh well.

Give me a while to come back with a new one.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ok, now I have an image of spruce dressed up in liturgical colours wearing martial arts belts all playing quidditch. In matching colours of course [Smile]

Well done kingsfold!

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

There are times when having a dominantly non-visual mind/imagination is a good thing....

OK: what links

Star of the County Down
H Dean Wagner
The Owl Pub
Penwortham, Lancs

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Kingsfold!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

That certainly appears to be the right answer. And no-one even mentioned Ralph Vaughan Williams ... perhaps he would have been the fifth clue?
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

I thought RVW was just a little too obvious, but clearly it didn't take too long!

Over to LeRoc...

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Nice clues!

I like doing images. What connects these? One two three four.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, chalice/Chrst, ?, King James' Bible and an exercise ladder(maybe Jacobs ladder ?)

So I'm going to go with biblical characters begining with J

[ 17. October 2015, 16:03: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Doublethink.: So I'm going to go with biblical characters begining with J
Hmm, there's plenty of those ...

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Jesus, John, James, Jacob ?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Nah, I don't think I would use a chalice to represent Jesus. A bit too far fetched. And what would John have to do with the building in image 2?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well I have no idea what that building is, so that waas a bit of a guess.

Do I take it is not biblical,characters then ?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Doublethink.: Do I take it is not biblical,characters then ?
No sorry [Smile]

Finding out what the building is would be helpful. It isn't just any ruin.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

The building looks awfully like the Colosseum. That would give us:

1. Priest with chalice
2. Colosseum
3. KJV bible
4. "Jacob's Ladder" domestic torture device.

Are they things that are supposed to go on forever?

The Eucharistic sacrifice is eternal, Rome won't fall unless the Colosseum does, the Bible is eternal, and Jacob's Ladder goes on forever.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

@Leorning Cnight: you've identified all images correctly, including the building. (I was looking for an image of Jacob's ladder, and thought about putting a medieval painting or so, but when I saw the image of the exercise machine I couldn't resist [Smile] )

Your explanation of things going on forever is intriguing, but it isn't what I was thinking of. I mean, I could basically take anything related to religion and say "this is supposed to go on forever". There is something else that connects these images, something much simpler.

(Just to help a bit more: image 1 is about the chalice, not about the priest holding it. And in image 3, the fact that it is KJV isn't terribly important here.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Is the link consecration ?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ways to heaven?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hehe, all good ones. I see now that my clues can be interpreted in many ways, I hadn't anticipated that.

I'm looking for a place where you'd find these four things together (actually there's nine of them but I was only allowed to put four [Smile] )

They're also not in the right order.

[ 18. October 2015, 11:31: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Damn ! I was so sure; wine consecrated to God, bible consecrated to God, colosseum consecrated to pagan Gods, Jacob waking up from his ladder dream and consecrating his pillow ...

[ 18. October 2015, 11:36: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hehe, I know the feeling. In No prophet's challenge, I was sure that Hearthstone was the right answer.

Don't look for a characteristic that almost all religious things have in common: they last forever, they're consecrated, they point us to heaven ... I'm looking for a specific place where you can find these four (actually nine) things.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Freemason or rosicrution initiation ceremonies.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Sorry, I counted wrong. In the place I'm referring to, there are 10 items, not 9. These images refer to four of them. I chose these four more or less at random, and they're not in the right order.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Sorry, I crossposted. No, no Freemasons or the other one. Although it does feel a bit like an initiation ceremony when you come to this place the first couple of times.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Place, is that geographical like a specific church - or a type of place. So in a harware shop you could find etc. ?

(Yes, I am shamelessly begging for a clue.)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016