homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Only Connect (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Only Connect
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lego! They've made them all in Lego!!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turner!

Turner did paintings of them and they are in the Tate Gallery!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yebbut - the Tate owns over 300 Turners - there are rooms of them if you go there, not just 9 or 10. There are certainly more than 9 or 10 in the National Gallery.

I was debating the British Museum and British Library for similar reasons, but there are too many other things there. And the Temple Church - because it has quite a few amazing artefacts, but that doesn't fit brilliantly.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I'm a bit busy right now. I'll be able to answer in a couple of hours.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just throwing this wrong answer in given that there are 10: aren't there nine patriarchates in tbe Eastern Orthodox Church? Maybe there's a 10th somewhere.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice ones! But I don't think there are places with exactly 10 Lego objects or 10 Turner paintings which include a chalice, the Colosseum, a Bible and Jacob's Ladder.

quote:
prophet's flag is set so...: Just throwing this wrong answer in given that there are 10: aren't there nine patriarchates in tbe Eastern Orthodox Church? Maybe there's a 10th somewhere.
Perhaps it is mousethief? [Smile] Hmm, I wonder which of the Patriarchs the Colosseum would refer to ... No, this isn't going to work.

The 10 things these items refer to, all have a different mood about them. Many people definitely have preferences among them.

(If no-one has guessed it by, say, 11-ish tomorrow morning, shall I post the other 6 images? I realise this means that the Circus Hosts must open 10 image links, but I think it can be done rather quickly.)

PS Doublethink.: good question! It isn't a geographical place, but it isn't a type of place either.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Things you have to find in a computer game?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ooooooh! Close!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this then a set of 10 objects rather than 10 objects which you'll find in one particular place?

(It isn't Tarot cards or the Stations of the Cross, anyhow.)

Is it a well-known board game?

[ 18. October 2015, 19:24: Message edited by: Ariel ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: (It isn't Tarot cards or the Stations of the Cross, anyhow.)
No, but in a sense, it is a bit like those.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: Is it a well-known board game?
No. There may have been plans to turn it into a board game in the past, but I don't think it has gone off.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Trading card games?

Pokemon?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

No. No.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am happy for you to post those links now if you like. As we is a little stuck.

(It seems like every town has somewhere they like to call Jacob's ladder.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Top ten XBox games?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Alright. My reason for postponing it until tomorrow is that I'm afraid you'll guess the answer right away after I post these links [Smile]

Here are the 10 images, this time in the right order:

1  2 3 4 5  6 7 8 9 x  x 12

Aand the right answer is ... (sorry Boogie, yours isn't it.)

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are these items "easter eggs" within a videogame, menu of a DVD or a computer program? I expect if it is easter eggs, then its a DVD since you suggest its not a game yet.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

No, they are not Easter eggs. They are very visible and easy to find.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fear not, I am now even more confused.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I had been thinking of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - set in Borgia's Rome - but there is no Jacob's ladder connection.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
No, they are not Easter eggs. They are very visible and easy to find.

Is it a film ?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Doublethink.: I had been thinking of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - set in Borgia's Rome - but there is no Jacob's ladder connection.
It's not the right answer. What I'm looking for is not a game. (Although one of these images relates a bit to games.)

quote:
Doublethink.: Is it a film ?
No, not a film.

[ 18. October 2015, 20:13: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

'Tis where my mind is going, or one of those TV series. The George Bush photo has me thinking zombies. I got nuthin useful from the images.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Look at these images. Free your mind, perhaps do something else for a while. What do they remind you of?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mind doesn't work that way. There are too many possible points in each picture to focus on to be able to link them in any coherent way. I'll get back to you in, um, a year or so.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: There are too many possible points in each picture to focus on to be able to link them in any coherent way.
Maybe, now that the pictures are in order, it would help if you looked at them in series. Have you figured out what the 10 pictures refer to already?

[ 18. October 2015, 20:28: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

That's exactly what I mean. There are now so many that I'm completely lost.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Well, I was asked to post all 10 pictures [Smile] Number 2 is Jacob's ladder. Numbers 6, 7, 8 are a chalice, a Bible and the Colosseum respectively. What are the others?

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Free my mind? Okay.

DNA, the development of life, and progression of the chain of being?

Is it the Moonlight Sonata?

Or perhaps about the finding of water on Mars which signifies out eventual conquest (shudder) of the universe.

Is it a disease, and how it kills us, turning us into stardust, even the signpost should tell us how to cure it?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

A recapitalization of Revelation? Or something weirdly biblical?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
no prophet's flag is set so...: Free my mind? Okay.

DNA, the development of life, and progression of the chain of being?

Is it the Moonlight Sonata?

Or perhaps about the finding of water on Mars which signifies out eventual conquest (shudder) of the universe.

Is it a disease, and how it kills us, turning us into stardust, even the signpost should tell us how to cure it?

That's the spirit! Thinking out of the box. Relax, do something else on the Ship. It will come to you.

quote:
no prophet's flag is set so...: A recapitalization of Revelation? Or something weirdly biblical?
The funny thing is: both of these things refer in a way to what I want to hear. But they are not the right answer.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Steps to something?

Happiness, enlightenment, finding the way?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Boogie: Steps to something?

Happiness, enlightenment, finding the way?

LOL, in a way yes. But also not the answer.

Look at my posts here. Almost all of them contain a clue. In fact, I think I've given the answer already.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

There's only one such thing in the universe. It's not a geographical place, but it is a place of sorts. It is a recapitalization of Revelation. It's weirdly biblical. It is steps to happiness, enlightenment, finding the way. What is it??

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

The Ship!!

Keyboard 1

Gets you to Heaven 2

Then Purg (business meeting) 3

etc

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Hallelujah! The 10 pictures refer to the images on the top of Ship boards.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Now you owe me 4 hours!! [Killing me]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

!!!

Excellent, Le Roc

[ 18. October 2015, 21:19: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Excellent Boogie!

I was so afraid that the answer would be found within 2 seconds.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

An easy one to calm all our nerves!

Old Town of Segovia and its Aqueduct

Stork

Jean Sibelius

25th anniversary of German reunification

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Hallelujah! The 10 pictures refer to the images on the top of Ship boards.

Right. So there was no internal connection between the pictures after all. Ah well.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ariel: Right. So there was no internal connection between the pictures after all. Ah well.
But there was. My picture number 1 refers to this picture. My picture number 2 refers to this picture. Etcetera. I've never seen the programme, but I understand that this is how Only Connect works. You post four pictures, and they connect in a way people wouldn't think of at first sight. It is how my previous Dr Who question worked.

(One of the funny things for me, every time you were searching for answers to my question, you were looking at the Colosseum cartoon at the top of the Circus board [Smile] )

[ 19. October 2015, 07:22: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

For reference.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
But there was. My picture number 1 refers to this picture.

That's not what I meant by an internal connection. Picture 1 doesn't relate directly to Picture 2, IMO.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Confused]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Well, all my questions (if I win again) on this thread are going to be like this. The four biblical figures referred to the four actors who played the Doctor in NuWho. The four pictures in this question referred to four cartoons on the top of Ship boards. They all refer to something you all know, but in a different way. I think that is more fun.

Of course I can look up the Wikipedia pages of the aquaduct of Segovia and of Jean Sibelius. They'll probably have something in common and that will give me the answer to Boogie's question. And if I'm faster than the others, I will win. This is the only way I can do it, I simply don't know enough about Segovia and Sibelius to do this on my general knowledge alone.

Or in No prophet's case, there are a zillion things that can be either white, blue or black. We just needed to guess which of these happened to be in his head.

Everyone will have their own preferences. But taking something everyone knows and presenting it in a different way, so that it needs to be solved by lateral thinking, is what makes this fun to me. My next questions will be of the same kind.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks for the warning. I'd assumed the game was supposed to be based on a selection of apparently random items that connected to each other. I'm not keen on picture questions, or YouTubes, so I'll sit those out in future.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, LeRoc. That seems to me to be how it's supposed to work, too.

FWIW I'm not so keen on picture clues, either - they're a bit fiddly to look up!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I had great fun - as you can tell. And I love picture clues as all my thinking is visual (I don't think in words)

All my thinking is lateral! When LeRoc asked us to look back at his posts they were littered with clues, but I hadn't noticed them.

Hidden in plain sight!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Let's just say that all of us like different kinds of puzzles, and this thread has the ability to cater for a range of them.

I'm working on Boogie's question ...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016