homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Only Connect (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Only Connect
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the confusion arises, I think, because this thread a number of different games from the Only Connect series on.

There are the sequences, picture or word.
Missing vowels
Connection, picture or word - similar to the groups on the wall at the end.
Picture rounds that work as a kind of visual chardae or pun - so a hook, a house and an old bloke might be linked by 'gaff' or the pictures can be spoken in a certain way to make a phrase.

The programme includes a mix of games - some where the link is due to general knowledge, but many are to do with the visual, aural or mathematical properties of the items. It may help partcipants if the label their challenge as a knowledge question or a puzzle question ?

Or perhaps we should specify a thread for each type of game ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think maybe a thread for each type of game would be too much, considering the numbers who play.

I think labelling the post would help too much! The thing with the TV game is that there are lots of possible connections on the final board - we can't do that here, so working out the type of connection we are looking for is part of it, imo.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I have an idea about Boogie's question but I don't want to set the next question [Smile] )

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here it is again, what is the connection -

Old Town of Segovia and its Aqueduct

Stork

Jean Sibelius

25th anniversary of German reunification

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, each to their own. I can only say that faced with picture 1 my first thoughts were: spillage, computer failure, water and picture 2 was: exercise, fitness, indoor gym, and I could see no easy way of linking these, let alone with the other pictures. It never occurred to me that the answer was that they didn’t actually connect to each other but to their equivalents in another set. Anyhow, let’s move on and see if anyone can crack Boogie’s latest.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ariel: It never occurred to me that the answer was that they didn’t actually connect to each other but to their equivalents in another set.
Life isn't always what you expect [Smile]

Coming back to Boogie's question, on the risk of answering it, in 2015 we have the 150 year anniversary of Sibelius. It is also 30 years since the aqueduct is on UNICEF's World Heritage list. And the reunification thing is obviously an anniversary. I don't know about Stork, it can mean many things.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

2015 is a good clue [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ah, I know the answer.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stork margarine's been around for 95 years - arrived in Britain in 1920.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's no obvious date for all of these, but they all celebrate anniversaries in 2015, but they aren't logical centenaries or all round numbers.

(I wondered if they all occurred on the same date but the Reunification of Germany is 9 October and Sibelius was born in December)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

The dates are not all 2015 - one is 2016 [Smile]

(The Old Town of Segovia and its Aqueduct is 2016, the rest are 2015)

[ 20. October 2015, 07:40: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

All these things are the subject of commemorative coins.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a week! may I have a go, please?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it LeRoc's go if he's got it right? But we don't know that until Boogie gets back from Tuscany and tells us.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just got it! These are not just "commemorative coins", but more specifically 2 Euro commemorative coins issued by different countries during 2015. (The Stork is Latvia, by the way, not Holland).

Strangely enough a similar question was asked on Monday night's TV programme.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

(I'd just looked the stork up as a commemorative coin and registered that, but I think we need Boogie to confirm that's what she had in mind.)

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Yes - they are all pictures on commemorative Euros for 2015 and 2016.

Sorry I ran away to spend some before letting you know!!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm not sure if it's mine or Baptist Trainfan's. If it's mine, I'd like to give it to jacobsen.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fine by me!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Kind.

What is the connection between

1. Old salt
2. Double Bass
3. Composition?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm going to go out on a limb here. Heavy metal.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Antonio Salieri who composed music using thoroughbass or figured bass notation?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

My reasoning was: Old Salt is usually a name for an elderly sailor who talks a lot, so could be an Ancient Mariner. Apart from the Ship connection, Ancient Mariner is also an Iron Maiden song (based on the poem of course).

In heavy metal, they often use a double bass drum in the drum set.

And 'composition' could refer both to the act of composing heavy metal songs, as to the heavy metal composition of river water, for example.

Hey, I gotta start somewhere ...

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

@Jacobsen (and everyone):

"What is the connection between ..." questions need FOUR items.

"What is the last in the sequence ..." questions need THREE items.

So we need a fourth clue in this one.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

A few times we have offered three clues and said a fourth would arrive if people needed it. Because on the show, teams do occasionally get it from the first one or two in the sequence.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Dizzy Gillespie?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

What about "Coleridge"?

Samuel Taylor Coleridge wrote the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Coleridge Goode the double bass player died last week.

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor composed choral works such as "Hiawatha's Wedding Feast" etc.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I was just thinking the same thing when I took a shower 5 minutes ago [Smile]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm not impatient but ... I want to know!! [Smile]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sorry chaps, I was away. Baptist Trainfan gets it from three clues. Just as well, as I couldn't think of a fourth.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

So, should I brush up on my train knowledge? [Smile]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

That's for me to know and you to find out.

Philosopher
Mercury
Clock
Hen.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Haydn symphonies [Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Francis Bacon?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Wow, LeRoc - way too easy for you, clearly!

Well done.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With the Limericks thread closed, here's a friendly nudge to LeRoc.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This game might have come to a natural end, but in case anyone would like to keep it going, may I try out this one I came up with the other day?
What connects:
A dropped pilot;
A shipwrecked correspondent;
A travelled aunt; and
An inventive dowager?

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I presume that the first three are Bismarck, possibly Robinson, and Augusta. I suspect some sort of US city link, possibly sporting, but can't make it out.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Maggie Smith played the aunt in the film of Travels with my aunt, and the Dowager in Downton

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She did, though it's not about her or Downton

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Graham Greene?

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

You've got the right aunt- Augusta, from Graham Greene's 'Travels with my Aunt'- and the right pilot- Bismarck, from the title of Tenniel's famous Punch cartoon after he was sacked by the young Kaiser Wilhelm II. So you need the other two. BT is going the right way with US cities, though not with what they have in common.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Might the inventive dowager by Deborah Mitford, Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, who worked out how to make Chatsworth profitable?

Problem is that "Mitford" USA is a fictional place rather than a real one; also it's supposedly in one of the Carolinas while Bismarck is in the Dakotas and Augusta is in Georgia.

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it state capitals? If so, the shipwreck could be referring to Columbus.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I wondered about that. But I don't think Columbus was a "correspondent".

I thought about Lemuel Gulliver, but he doesn't fit either. What about someone called Stephen Crane?

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Yes, since it's been mentioned, it is state capitals [Smile] . Bismarck North Dakota and Augusta Maine.

I suspect someone will now get the shipwrecked correspondent by going through the list. Any shipmates of a certain age and tradition might be able to find the dowager!

[ 04. December 2015, 14:25: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah...Saint Paul. Clever, Albertus!
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

[Big Grin]
One to go!
(BT- don't worry- I won't tell your congregation or your Regional Minister you couldn't spot that one! [Biased] )

[ 04. December 2015, 15:18: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

You can if you like!!!
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Don't think the inventive dowager's really a Baptist thing, though.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016