homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Only Connect (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Only Connect
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my misspent youth I have played both snooker and pool. I played pool most recently, within the last 5 years, doing youth work.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

Purple = 34 (1863)
Brown = 25 (1906)
Light blue = 16 (1968)
Grey = 27 (1979)

I was going to say stamp colours, but the years don't match.

Given that you're the Trainfan, is it London Underground lines?

Jubilee line was opened in 1979, and might have 27 stations, and is coloured grey on the map. And so on.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're exactly right - it is the number of stations, and the date of first opening! I knew that putting in the dates might make it a bit too easy, but I hoped that someone would be clever enough to think who was setting the question!

Over to you ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's stick with a colour theme:

1 red
2 blue
3 black

what's next?

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
4 purplish

The number is the number of long, straight, vertical lines in the letters of the colour.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

That wasn't quite what I was going for, but it is a sequence and it's close. I should have crafted a better question. (I was going specifically for ascenders, so was thinking of 4 dark blue, perhaps.) I should have made the first colour pink.

Your turn.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What connects:

Storytelling
Parliament
Mob
Murder

(And before you say it, the answer is not 'New Labour')

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I long to say Gilbert and Sullivan's "Iolanthe," in which a fairy ends up marrying the Lord Chancellor, and the members of the House of Lords marry the rest of the fairies....

but mob and murder don't come into it. Sadly.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Storytelling
Parliament
Mob
Murder

A murder of crows and a parliament of rooks (or parliament of owls).
Google tell me that you can have a storytelling of crows as well. And a mob of emus. Can you have a mob of crows?

A group of ravens of course is an unkindness.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Yes. They are all collective nouns for crows. Source

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bump.

Come on, Dafyd - your turn.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am posting to keep this going, what connects:

• Childhood
  • Southern Cross
  • Destiny
  • Eve

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Come on, Dafyd - your turn.

Sorry. I'll jump in when someone's got Doublethink's.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are the all graphic novels?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this something to do with having perforce to move on from comfortable innocence to unknown territory?

(Either that or it's varieties of apples?!)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Puddings?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Are the all graphic novels?

Very, very close - I'll give you that, they are all the titles of wordless books.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hurrah!!

Now it is Dafyd's turn [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Am thinking of something.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Lawers
More
Snowdon
Pen y fan

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Highest peaks in various areas of Scotland and Wales?

Pen y Fan is the highest in the Brecon Beacons, Snowdon in Snowdonia,
Ben More is the highest in the Crianlarich Hills
Ben Lawers is the 10th highest peak in the UK and the highest in the southern Scottish Highlands

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Kind of along the right lines, but there's a more specific reason.
I could have put Binnein in between More and Snowdon.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Actually I made the list late last night, so I'll alter it a bit.

Lawers
More
Binnein
Snowdon

is complete between the two ends.
(Pen y Fan would be on the list, but there would be things left out between it and Snowdon.)

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Mountains?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Yes. But there's a reason why those hills and not, say, Scafell Pike or Ben Lomond.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Are they the highest peaks in their respective mountain ranges? But that doesn't give the ordering.

Maybe it's highest UK mountains ordered by longitude? The highest mountain south of Ben Lawers is Ben More, and so on.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Maybe it's highest UK mountains ordered by longitude? The highest mountain south of Ben Lawers is Ben More, and so on.

Yes. In each case there's no higher hill further south in the UK, which amounts to what you say (at least in the case of the second list).

Over to you.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

1. Potassium cyanide
2. Chloral hydrate
3. Blunt Instrument

What comes next?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

An axe?

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

And then there was CK.

(These are, in order, the murder weapons in Agatha Christie's bestseller these days usually called "And then there were none".)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure that must be right (Agatha Christie: "And then there were none"/"Ten little Indians") but we'll have to wait till Canada wakes up before we can be sure ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I am afraid my first thought when I read that list was Agatha Christie, helped by seeing a photography exhibition of her life a few weeks ago. The problem was remembering what to call the book because the title of the edition I read has definitely been changed.

What comes next:

Pearl
Ruby
Peridot

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The problem was remembering what to call the book because the title of the edition I read has definitely been changed.

My copy has the original UK title, too.

quote:

Pearl
Ruby
Peridot

Sapphire?

(Birthstones for June, July, August, September)

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Lapis lazuli for the same reason.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Leorning Cniht's go again.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

OK, how about One Two Three

What's next?

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

there has to be an Elvis connection.

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering if the blue suede-iness of the shoes is a red herring and the fourth picture could be something like this.

From the children's rhyme
quote:
One, two,
Buckle my shoe;
Three, four,
Open the door;
Five, six,
Pick up sticks;
Seven, eight,
Lay them straight:
Nine, ten,
A big, fat hen;
Eleven, twelve,
Dig and delve;
Thirteen, fourteen,
Maids a-courting;
Fifteen, sixteen,
Maids in the kitchen;
Seventeen, eighteen,
Maids a-waiting
Nineteen, twenty,
My plate's empty.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you're right

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

Chapelhead finds both my fish and the solution. I was going to pick this, though.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Chapelhead finds both my fish and the solution. I was going to pick this, though.

Oh, I like that - clever.

I've got to go and play at being a vicar for a couple of hours, but I'll try to think of something when I'm back.

--------------------

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

OK, not a very good one but...

What comes next (there are two possible answers)

Banker
Magnetic
Padelion

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I see a sequence of vowels - not in the right order, perhaps, but pandemonium

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I see a sequence of vowels - not in the right order, perhaps, but pandemonium

Half way there - but what are the two possible answers?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now you're being facetious.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

Well, I dont't think I've ever claimed to be abstemious.

LeRoc's turn.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew I shouldn't have done that [Smile]

This one is probably too easy: one, two, three. What's next?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Well, I dont't think I've ever claimed to be abstemious.

I hope you're not arsenious, or indeed caesious.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I knew I shouldn't have done that [Smile]

This one is probably too easy: one, two, three. What's next?

Christ the Redeemer, David with an x-ey shoulder and St Matthew. Nothing springs to mind.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Are they linked by the golden mean ?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016