homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Chess (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Chess
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see my earlier post was a bit rude to Doublethink, I am sorry about that. I am not a good player but am finding it interesting to follow this game.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No worries, and please do feel free to join in. You don't have to pick a side - just don't post two moves consecutively.

This thread is an accidental experiment, once the game is finished I will try to refine a crowd sourced chess opening post, so we can play again in a dekinked version [Big Grin]

I think crowd sourcing is interesting, because it gives weaker players a fighting chance and stronger ones some unusual situations to try to make the best of.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A reminder because of the page turn.

This is where we are at.

And it's Black to move.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Barnabas62: And it's Black to move.
Okay, now I imagine you stroking a white cat sitting on your lap.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gamestate: moves 1-20

21. White: Bishop d5-b7, taking pawn; Black: Rook a8-b8
22. White: Bishop b7-a6, takes Knight; Black: Rook b8 - b6

Incidentally, why rook rather than castle ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

23. White: Bishop a6-c4;

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

23. White: Bishop a6-c4; Black: Queen f5 - g6

[ 10. April 2016, 22:14: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

24. White: Bishop e3-b6, takes Rook;

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

24. White: Bishop e3-b6, takes Rook; Black: Pawn a7 - b6, takes Bishop

(Oops, move 23 may have been a bit crap.)

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Next game?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
* Black throws over King *

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Seems best. White is up by a piece and two pawns and the counter play possibilities have now vanished. Might have been different if Black had played Rxb2 instead of Rb6. But if anyone else wants to play on I'm happy to bow out now.

DT, it did occur to me that for a crowd sourced version there's probably a value in limiting the number of consecutive moves any Shipmate can make for the same side. My curiosity got the better of my sociability! Hence my 20 consecutive moves for White. That was fun for me, but I'm not sure the freedom to do that would work in the long term.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

So, victory for White !

Shall we use the end of this thread to spending a little time to craft a suitable chess OP fo future use ?

Firstly, I hear what you say about standard transcription - but I do think writing the colour and piece names makes the thread more accesible to people who perhaps don't regularly read chess columns.

Perhaps we could do colour, piece, end square. So

1. White - Pawn to d4

What do you think ?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Barnabas62: Might have been different if Black had played Rxb2 instead of Rb6.
This is what I was seeing:

22. … Rxb2
23. Bxa7? Ra8!

But of course, White could have prevented this by not taking the pawn on a7, for example playing 23. Bc4 instead. Is this what you had in mind for Black? Or is there something else?

BTW Kudos for how you thrashed Black's pawn fortress; that was a beauty to behold.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Doublethink.: Firstly, I hear what you say about standard transcription - but I do think writing the colour and piece names makes the thread more accesible to people who perhaps don't regularly read chess columns.

Perhaps we could do colour, piece, end square. So

1. White - Pawn to d4

What do you think ?

It is OK for me. I guess that sometimes we need to give the begin square also when there is ambiguity (this only happens in few cases).

When I'm analysing instead of making a move, I might use the shorter notation sometimes (analysing is half of the fun).

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

DT - happy with that suggestion for notation.

LeRoc

The real problem with White's position after Rxb2 is that White's Queen and King are both on the second rank and Black already has strength on the open f column. Lots of White moves allow Black to exploit the pinned c pawn. I think best for White may be Rc1 first, rather than Bc4, intending Rc2 to break the pin on the c pawn. But it is tricky. Major pieces on the seventh rank and open files have a lot of potential power.

Even if I'd seen these disadvantages (which I didn't), destroying the Black pawn mass with Nxd5 was still the best option for White. I saw the possibility after Black (Adam) played Na6 (rather than Nc6). I think you may have also seen the Nxd5 move yourself, since you'd seen the bishop fork if the bishop did take the pawn on b7. Black's d6-d5 looks such a natural move at first glance, but it was probably fatal even with best play by both sides afterwards.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Barnabas62: The real problem with White's position after Rxb2 is that White's Queen and King are both on the second rank and Black already has strength on the open f column. Lots of White moves allow Black to exploit the pinned c pawn.
Ah, I see. Especially Black playing e4 would be potentially dangerous, because it would immediately put our Queen into play. I still think White would have a couple of ways to defend against that though.

quote:
Barnabas62: I think you may have also seen the Nxd5 move yourself
No, I admit I didn't, butI wouldn't have played 18. … d5 anyway. My move would have been 18. … Qg6, because I was afraid of 19. Rf1 Qg6 20. Rxf8 Rxf8 21. Bxa7.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Draft OP for comments:

quote:

Crowd Sourced Chess

This thread is designed for the purpose of playing and discussing a communal game of Chess.

Notation

We are using the rank and file identifications shown in the link. We are not using standard PNG notation, instead we are using a slightly expanded form to encourage more shippies to participate.

Moves will be posted in the following format:
quote:

1. White - Pawn to e4: Black - Pawn to e5
2. White - Pawn to f3: Black - Pawn to f6

The move you are making in the post, is in bold. After the tenth pair of moves is made, the next post will start with a gamestate link to the previous post with ten rounds in, and then proceed with round 11 - thus later posts will look like this:
quote:

Gamestate

11. White - King Castles (Kingside): Black - Bishop to a1 taking Rook

Thread Ettiquette
  • Anyone can post a move
  • You can chose to post moves for only one colour - but you can change between colours if you like.
  • Please don't post two consecutive moves - i.e. do not post a move by one side and its response by the other.
  • We would prefer that no more than three moves for one colour are made by the same poster before another person posts a move for that colour.
  • Good natured discussion and analysis of the ongoing game is encouraged.

What do you guys think of this ? Any suggestions ?

[ 11. April 2016, 11:26: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Personally I am not sure about the three move colour limit, I could see quite a fun thread developing where a strong player posted most of the moves for one side and they were opposed by a group pooling ideas.

We ought maybe to think about the pros and cons of discussing moves before they are made as well.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Looks good, Doublethink! Limiting consecutive moves for the same colour to three seems like a good compromise. [Crossposted with your other post; yes let's look at other options too.]

I'd still like it if we could link to an external site that shows us the board from time to time. I linked to Apronus, giving something like this but Doublethink couldn't see that? I'd be willing to look for other external sites that work better.

BTW, would you like each chess game to start on a new thread, or for us to continue on the same thread? I think I'd be in favour of the latter, since most games will take only a couple of days, with new threads causing the Circus to clog up rather quickly. But for me any way is fine.

[ 11. April 2016, 11:35: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I could see the apronus website and found it helpful.

On consecutive move limits, 3 looks good to me, but I also have a "contingency" suggestion. Say a Shipmate makes a third consecutive move with a time stamp of 12.00 on 12th April. Then they should not make another move for 24 hours i.e. 12.00 on 13th April. That would allow sufficient time for someone else to come in, but if nobody did, then they can come back in for another three moves. It would be a way of keeping a game going if interest levels were light.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

I'd still like it if we could link to an external site that shows us the board from time to time. I linked to Apronus, giving something like this but Doublethink couldn't see that? I'd be willing to look for other external sites that work better.

I'd also appreciate that. As you noticed(!), I found catching up on a lot of moves after some time away difficult to do without making mistakes. Being able to access an online board state, even if I had to enact a few of the moves that were written out on the ship would make it a lot easier to come in and out of the game.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Okay, if you're up for it, I'd like to do a Queenside opening.

1. White: Pawn to d4

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Let me start a new thread this time, but it can have several games on.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Okay, I see this is better because then the Opening Post will contain the thread rules.

[ 11. April 2016, 15:50: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

OK the new thread is up, I am going to lock this one for the avoidance of confusion.

Doublethink
Circus Host

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016