homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » ABC to solve easier problem... a fixed date for Easter (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: ABC to solve easier problem... a fixed date for Easter
gog
Shipmate
# 15615

- Posted      Profile for gog   Author's homepage   Email gog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the Independant the ABC wishes to have a fixed date for Easter and achieve this is the next 5 years?

So what to Shipmates think?

[edited thread title]

[ 21. January 2016, 16:38: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posts: 103 | From: somewhere over the border | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
gog
Shipmate
# 15615

- Posted      Profile for gog   Author's homepage   Email gog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think the Indy has mixed up the story with the one about a common date between east and west, as reported here and I think already discussed on the ship (or my memory might be going)
Posts: 103 | From: somewhere over the border | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, I watched the press conference, it was definitely suggested that there should be a static date for Easter that everyone recognised.

--------------------
arse

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they come up with a fixed date I hope that we also get a fixed date for Passover, since the two are connected. Seems unlikely.

The strange thing is that there is no real biblical rationale for any dating of Easter other than fixing it to Passover. Which we don't really do even now.

I guess the other rationale would be to count the days back from Christmas, since counting forward from the imagined date of the crucifixion was apparently how December 25th was chosen. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if the ABC sets a date for Easter, I guess TEC won't have to participate since he doesn't consider us to be part of the family.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with you Freddy ( [Yipee] ) The only reason that Easter is not celebrated at passover is because of antisemitism. Constantine said "Let us then have nothing in common with the detestable Jewish crowd; for we have received from our Saviour a different way."

I think it would be an excellent witness to the world, a gracious gesture to the Jews, if the church were to apologise for this kind of attitude and move the comemmoration of the death of Christ to Passover.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering the extent to which secular authorities would have to be involved - clearly there is a whole load of Christianity which was not included in the discussion process revealed by the ABofC, but also I'm guessing that there must be some kind of secular tie to the dating of Easter by various countries.

Would it need a major rewrite of law?

--------------------
arse

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

I guess the other rationale would be to count the days back from Christmas, since counting forward from the imagined date of the crucifixion was apparently how December 25th was chosen. [Paranoid]

December 25th was chosen because it was Saturnalia.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was because it was the birthday of Sol Invictus (as well).
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I think it would be an excellent witness to the world, a gracious gesture to the Jews, if the church were to apologise for this kind of attitude and move the comemmoration of the death of Christ to Passover.

I agree with this.

Except that I'm wondering how strongly the Bible indicates that Jesus rose on a Sunday.

In any case, Easter would not take place on the Passover itself, but the day after. I think... [Confused]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd rather we leave things as is, instead of starting up new fights and divisions in the church-as-a-whole.

Besides, one of the good things about the weirdness of Easter dating is its very inefficiency. It does us good to have at least one major holiday dancing around the calendar and reminding us that the world is not a neat and efficient place, and we are not robots. And it does us good to learn to respect varying practices, East and West, and to enjoy one another's differences.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:

I agree with this.

Except that I'm wondering how strongly the Bible indicates that Jesus rose on a Sunday.

In any case, Easter would not take place on the Passover itself, but the day after. I think... [Confused]

Jesus was killed at Passover. He rose on the first day of the week, according to the Gospels, which is of course, Sunday.

He rose again on the third day - death on Friday (1st day), in the tomb on Saturday (2nd day), rose again on the Sunday (3rd day).

[ 15. January 2016, 17:21: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easter this year seems too early which means Lent arrives early this year, thus the Season after Epiphany is short.

I suspect that if a uniform date for Easter is decided, that it'll be somewhere in early April.

I like the variability of the Easter date, it adds a little flexibility in the liturgical year.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albert Ross
Shipmate
# 3241

- Posted      Profile for Albert Ross   Email Albert Ross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I'm wondering the extent to which secular authorities would have to be involved - clearly there is a whole load of Christianity which was not included in the discussion process revealed by the ABofC, but also I'm guessing that there must be some kind of secular tie to the dating of Easter by various countries.

Would it need a major rewrite of law?

The UK government have already passed the Easter Act 1928

--------------------
Elegant, concise and full of meaning.

Posts: 80 | From: Thames Estuary | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'd rather we leave things as is, instead of starting up new fights and divisions in the church-as-a-whole.

Besides, one of the good things about the weirdness of Easter dating is its very inefficiency. It does us good to have at least one major holiday dancing around the calendar and reminding us that the world is not a neat and efficient place, and we are not robots. And it does us good to learn to respect varying practices, East and West, and to enjoy one another's differences.

Lamb Chopped, that gets three of these.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

But just think of the missional opportunities!!
The Church changes the date and people not only ask 'why' but also 'what is it?

What an opportunity to tell people about church unity and most of all about the atonement and the resurrection.

Many people still think Easter is Easter Bunnies and chocolate eggs - this would be a worldwide chance to tell them about Jesus!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of us with late February or early March birthdays (I'm March 5th) like that our birthdays don't always fall during Lent, and on some years even correspond with Fat Tuesday.

I'll note that the ABC isn't in that group. Coincidence? [Paranoid]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Agreed on every count, especially the last one. Just imagine another schism in the Scottish churches... Oy vey. And some of us would never get used to celebrating Good Friday on a Tuesday, for example, if the calendar told us we had to.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

FWIW, I think the ABofC was talking about having it in a specific week, not tied to a particular date. I apologise if I gave the wrong impression.

--------------------
arse

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So having overseen the start of a major split over homosexuality, he is now wanting to oversee another split over the data of Easter.

I am sure, if it is fixed, then some groups/churches will insist on retaining the "One True Original Date", and celebrate "When Jesus Did". So introducing more division.

Ever since I left Anglicanism, it has been trying to destroy itself. I am sure there is no connection.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe March 25th was used by some parts of the Early Church.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Some of us with late February or early March birthdays (I'm March 5th) like that our birthdays don't always fall during Lent, and on some years even correspond with Fat Tuesday.

I'm also an early March baby, and I also enjoy sometimes having Shrove Tuesday or Ash Wednesday, sometimes being before Lent and sometimes during. My sister, with an April birthday, sometimes had Maundy Thursday or Good Friday, but also sometimes had Easter.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The only reason that Easter is not celebrated at passover is because of antisemitism. Constantine said "Let us then have nothing in common with the detestable Jewish crowd; for we have received from our Saviour a different way."

It makes a change to blame Constantine for something other than establishing a state religion.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

If they adopt March 25, they'll have to move the Feast of the Annunciation.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't know if this is a pious explanation made after the fact, but I have heard before that the theory is that Our Lord was both crucified and conceived on March 25th (the legend is that all holy persons die on the same day as their conception). Thus Our Lord's birth is December 25th, marking it 9 months after the conception.

Does anyone know the original source of this legend?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand. Surely this isn't serious?

Is the idea that the Anglican Communion and the RCC pick a new method for determining Easter and the rest of Christianity/the Church are just along for the ride?

Wouldn't this need some sort of council in the RCC? I assume the Pope couldn't do it alone.

What about the Southern Baptists, to pick a group at random? Are they going to meekly change their dates because the ABC has convinced the Pope that it is a good idea?

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:

Is the idea that the Anglican Communion and the RCC pick a new method for determining Easter and the rest of Christianity/the Church are just along for the ride?

Wouldn't this need some sort of council in the RCC? I assume the Pope couldn't do it alone.

Why do they need the same Easter? Christmas day is on different days in different parts of the world. Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas day on or near January 7th.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

quote:
Originally posted by Demas:

What about the Southern Baptists, to pick a group at random? Are they going to meekly change their dates because the ABC has convinced the Pope that it is a good idea?

The Americans did change the date of Daylight Savings Time a few years ago and everyone followed suit.

It might actually be easier to do than we may presume. As far as I know, the tradition of having Easter after the first full moon of the Spring Equinox is not anything more than a convention. There is nothing "Scriptural" about the particular date.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Why do they need the same Easter? Christmas day is on different days in different parts of the world. Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas day on or near January 7th.

Orthodox celebrate Christmas on the 25 December, they just disagree what day that is [Smile]

But seriously, for the sake of some convenience we are going to deliberately break a hard won near consensus on the date of Christianity's most holy celebration?

It's delusional.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stupid man - who does he think he is?

I love the fact that the Christian faith does not get accomodated in our man-made obsession with time but takes us out of time.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And because it was 9 months later than the feast of the Annunciation on March 25th.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely that is the other way round - the Annunciation being calculated from the date of Christmas?

Then there is the fiction of the Spring Full Moon being an actual observable in the sky Full Moon, instead of a calculated by tables in the back of the Prayer Book Paschal Full Moon. Isn't there?

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Surely that is the other way round - the Annunciation being calculated from the date of Christmas?

Apparently not.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fixed date? Yes, please. Somewhere in the middle of April. Three & a half months from the start of term and three and a half months before the summer holidays.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely we need a focus group to consider this sort of thing?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
As far as I know, the tradition of having Easter after the first full moon of the Spring Equinox is not anything more than a convention. There is nothing "Scriptural" about the particular date.

Have you tried changing something minor like the time of the services, or moving the pews? Anything the church has done since the older member can remember is at least as binding as scripture.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

If they adopt March 25, they'll have to move the Feast of the Annunciation.
Not necessarily. I remember reading once that the Feast of the Anunciation was chosen to coincide with the Crucifixion. It was a Jewish belief that righteous men died on the anniversary of their conception. Early scholars calculated that the most likely date of the Crucifixion was March 25th.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that the idea was that his earthly life started (in the womb) on the same day that he began his new life (the resurrection) - hence the Annuciation and Easter fell on the same date. There are calculations for the likely date, in modern calendars, of Jesus' crucifixion, depending on which year it happened (Luke is fairly precise about when Jesus' ministry started, even if not all his dates line up). So it could be possible to choose a particular Sunday as closest to that date.

I still expect to see pigs fly past the window before there is an agreed fixed date for Easter - which might mean that I need to take up shooting to get my bacon sandwich for Easter morning.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooooh, nope, it huuurts....aagggghhhhh.....must not..........ah bugger....... I told you so*.

Sorry, I just couldn't keep that in.

*about a month ago if memory serves.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

...except that it wasn't. Saturnalia was celebrated from December 17 through 23.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I thought it was because it was the birthday of Sol Invictus (as well).

...and Sol Invictus was invented after the birth of Christianity.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
quote:

I don't know if this is a pious explanation made after the fact, but I have heard before that the theory is that Our Lord was both crucified and conceived on March 25th (the legend is that all holy persons die on the same day as their conception). Thus Our Lord's birth is December 25th, marking it 9 months after the conception.

Does anyone know the original source of this legend?

Wikipedia is such a great resource.
quote:
It was a traditional Jewish belief that great men lived a whole number of years, without fractions, so that Jesus was considered to have been conceived on March 25, as he died on March 25, which was calculated to have coincided with 14 Nisan.[86] Sextus Julius Africanus (c. 160 – c. 240) gave March 25 as the day of creation and of the conception of Jesus.[87] In his work Adversus Haereses, Irenaeus (c. 130–202) identified the conception of Jesus as March 25 and linked it to the crucifixion at the time of the equinox, with the birth of Jesus nine months after on December 25 at the time of the solstice
So that explains it. [Biased]

--------------------

Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There we go. Let's have the first Sunday on or after March 25th. I'm all for it. [Smile]
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only advantage I see is that a fixed date for Easter might convinced my employer to put the spring holiday at Easter again so I wouldn't be working during Holy Week.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bbc news site was reporting that the Vatican had formally announced it would be willing to go for a fixed date for easter, subject to the agreement of other churches and negotiations with national governments, some years ago.

It seems unnecessary to me, but I don`t think it is harmful.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

Lamb Chopped, that gets three of these.

And three more.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The only advantage I see is that a fixed date for Easter might convinced my employer to put the spring holiday at Easter again so I wouldn't be working during Holy Week.

Unlikely - they tend to prefer giving a holiday during the Easter octave. When they mucked around with school holidays, we had to work up to Maundy Thursday and even have a stafff meeting in the evening - Chrism mass, Mass of the last Supper etc. meant nothing to them - they couldn't see what the fuss was about as, 'after all, you've got Easter off.'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mockingbird

Mimus polyglottos navis
# 5818

- Posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Author's homepage   Email Mockingbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The only reason that Easter is not celebrated at passover is because of antisemitism.

Gregorian Easter is always at passover. It is the Rabbinic feast of Unleavened Bread that is sometimes not celebrated at passover, as for example this year, the Rabbinic calendar designates as Nisan what ought to be the month of Iyar.

--------------------
Foržon we sealon efestan žas Easterlican žing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, žaet we magon cuman to žam Easterlican daege, že aa byš, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.

Posts: 1443 | From: Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The only reason that Easter is not celebrated at passover is because of antisemitism.

I presume you have evidence for this rather outrageous claim?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly I am rapidly losing any respect for Welby. With so many issues that make a difference to the world and to the church, he wants to spend time and money on fixing something that isn't broken?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016