homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » zika

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: zika
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been seeing lots of stories about zika.

Some of them talk about travel. Some of them talk about the difficulty of mosquito control. Some of them talk about the need for cheap, reliable contraception. Some of them talk about the need for liberalizing abortion laws.

But the one thing I haven't seen discussed is the need for increasing the availability of medical care and services for children with special needs and their families. Have I just missed it? Or is that not part of the discussion?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zika? Could you post a link, please.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An initial search brought up swimwear adverts, but now I understand. Definition here I just needed the reminder thast zika is a virus.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pardon my ignorance, but do you mean they'd have a special vulnerability to zika? Or that kids affected by it will have special needs? (From what I understand, babies affected pre-birth have many severe problems.)

Besides overall concern, I'm concerned about the Olympics. They seem to be going ahead, and there will be an influx of people from all over, and they'll be stressed and tired and likely more susceptible, and then they'll go back home...

[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Synchronicity struck while reading, as the BBC was discussing an appeal by medical folks for delaying or moving the Olympics, turned down by the WHO. The discussion went into the behaviours which should be adopted by people returning from Brazil, even if they didn't think they had been infected. Especially men, who should consider themselves capable of infecting their partners for months after exposure.

It sounded as if the disease had been carefully constructed to cause the maximum damage by passing itself on even as producing the next victim of the ghastly neurological problems it causes in the developing foetus.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Josephine

I think you make an excellent point about planning for, and responding to, the consequences of zika virus.

It looks as though the growing awareness of the means by which the virus can be transmitted is leading to a better appreciation of the risks, the best precautions to be applied, and the urgent need to develop vaccines. I don't know how severe the risk of microcephaly is, I'm not sure if the WHO has reliable data yet.

Microcephaly is incurable, but as the Mayo clinic article indicates, support from speech and occupational therapists can make a difference. So I can understand the concentration on prevention. It looks as though any increased incidence of microcephaly will put some extra pressure on pre-existing resources (speech and occupational therapists). Currently, microcephaly is rare, so my surmise would be that the support techniques and procedures are still being developed. An increased incidence of the condition will probably speed up that development, produce greater understanding for the therapists who can help.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at the "Symptoms" page of the Mayo article, I found this:

quote:
A child with more severe microcephaly may also have a backward-sloping forehead.
I saw such a child in the news coverage, a few weeks ago. {Possibly TMI.} My clumsy way of describing to myself what I saw was that it looked like the baby's head was too small, but its face wasn't proportional. It looked like the face was full-sized, and had to wrap over the top of the small head. That's burned into my mind.

Even with supportive services, a person with that level of zika is going to have severe problems just moving around among people, let alone socializing, because they're stuck with a startling face.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:

But the one thing I haven't seen discussed is the need for increasing the availability of medical care and services for children with special needs and their families. Have I just missed it? Or is that not part of the discussion?

It is part of the discussion, and the "discussion" is mostly just the premise that the places most affected by zika 1) have very limited, if any, resources to support persons with disabilities, and 2) don't have a culture or a legal framework that values people with disabilities. They may not talk openly about 2, but it's definitely a consideration. Hence the conclusion that prevention plus testing and abortion is the only implementable response at this time in those places.

<tiptoeing up to dead horse> ISTM there's a horrible tangled irony here that prejudice against people with disabilities may lead to loosening of abortion restrictions in order to pressure women to abort to avoid the bother of caring and inclusivity. That's both awful and shortsighted. <tiptoes back>

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Microcephaly is pretty major in its effects. I've worked with kids with microcephaly (I know, I've worked with lots of SEN kids), one in mainstream, and that student was one that really found mainstream secondary school a difficult place, both academically and socially. Lots of special needs that will need a lot of support for life.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canadian travel advice is to use birth control when travelling to Zika infected areas and for minimum 3 months thereafter. Zika is also suggested to be sexually transmitted in addition to mosquitos.

DEET containing repellants are a good idea in general re skeeters.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lets face it, as the Zika virus spreads into more developed countries, there will be an all out effort to find a vaccine for it. No one was much concerned when it was first discovered in monkeys in 1946 in Uganda. Human cases first stated showing up in 1952, also in Uganda.

But once the rich countries start getting impacted, more concern develops.

Too bad we did not start to work on this earlier

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum told me that when she was a midwife, after the war, she saw a lot of microencephaly. It was the same sort of reason - soldiers coming back from foreign parts bringing infections.

She also told me they would often euthanise them, because that is what they did.

It is not a new problem. If - as others have said - we had dealt with it decades ago, we would probably not be bothered now. As always, it is never about "this is a threat to babies", it is "this is a threat to our white western babies".

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh come on, seriously now. It's just another case of "now that it's close enough to my own life, I suddenly notice it and try to do something." Which is a universal human characteristic, not a racist one.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SC wrote:-
quote:
It is not a new problem. If - as others have said - we had dealt with it decades ago, we would probably not be bothered now. As always, it is never about "this is a threat to babies", it is "this is a threat to our white western babies".
Zika virus has been known about for a long time, but I don't think its neurological side effects have been. Most people who catch it are asymptomatic. About one in five develop fairly minor symptoms of the rash/ache/general malaise type which passes in a few days. That's just not something anyone is going to spend money on. There are loads of viruses that do that.

My understanding is that it was some statistical studies done by the French Government in French Polynesia that threw up clusters of neurological symptoms that correlated with zika infections. That would be around ten years ago I think. From being an observation, it seems to be an accepted risk factor for a minority of zika cases now, and I think that has all happened within the last 2/3 years.

Just from memory, having read a WHO document a while back.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Microcephaly is incurable, but as the Mayo clinic article indicates, support from speech and occupational therapists can make a difference. So I can understand the concentration on prevention.

Absolutely we should concentrate on prevention. We need vaccines. We need mosquito control. We need contraception being readily available.

But even with all of that, there will be babies born with microcephay because their mother contracted zika during the pregnancy. There are still babies born with a variety of developmental impairments because their mother contracted rubella during the pregnancy.

We know that there are zika-affected children in other countries, and there will be zika-affected children here. And I haven't heard anything at all about increasing budgets for OT and SLP services, about training teachers, about making sure that these children can get medical care, about ensuring that their parents have enough income to take care of the family while taking care of a severely disabled child.

It's going to be a huge challenge. We need to start planning for it now.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh come on, Josephine. You know the Republicans don't give a damn about any of that. They're already fighting Obama's requests for funding for Zika.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I'm concerned about the Olympics. They seem to be going ahead, and there will be an influx of people from all over, and they'll be stressed and tired and likely more susceptible, and then they'll go back home...

[Votive]

I read an article somewhere explaining why Olympics cannot be cancelled or moved to a different counter. Money. Specifically commitments to corporations who can sue if they don't get what they were promised. True? Not?
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably true belle. I have heard medicos saying the Olympics should be delayed or moved. I have heard nothing from Olympic officials about it.

On more support for disabilities, I noted, as a worker myself, a Parliamentary Committee report into the abuse of people with disabilities, mental, physical and sexual recently found it rife. That's adults with disability in residential and day placement services. In Victoria, the system is underfunded, staff are underpaid and mushroomed, and management is impossibly bureaucratic. We exist in an authoritarian space, and clients are often treated like they are at the bottom of that nasty little organisational triangle.

If there is going to be an influx of clients after the zika virus, we are in deep trouble. Hell, we are already there.

[ 29. May 2016, 05:20: Message edited by: simontoad ]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like the funding issues fall into three separate categories.

1. Extra money for vaccine research and distribution once one is developed. My best guess is that the large pharmaceutical companies are already going for that, for commercial reasons. The extent to which purchase and distribution costs will require public funding (or additional charitable) support will depend a lot on how healthcare is normally funded from country to country;

2. Extre funding for medical abortions. How those costs are met will depend again on pre-existing policies and will vary from country to country. It seems likely that there will be an additional demand.

3. Long term support for microcephalic children and their parents. Because of the time it takes to train speech and occupational therapists, it's hard to see how there can be a quick response to funding additional training needs even if accurate forecasts of need were available. It seems likely that the existing services will have to take the strain while extra capacity is built up.

Leaving aside the DH ethical question I'm not surprised to hear that there may be a political divide in the US over finding more federal or state funds to support these present or future extra costs. The political polarisation is too well entrenched. I doubt whether there would be too much movement even if there was a pandemic in the US.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
... Most people who catch it are asymptomatic. About one in five develop fairly minor symptoms of the rash/ache/general malaise type which passes in a few days. ...

Back when polio was a scourge, I believe that was also true of polio. It was permanently present unnoticed in the population. Its terrible consequences only arose when something went inexplicably and unpredictably wrong.

[ 29. May 2016, 07:19: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Back when polio was a scourge, I believe that was also true of polio. It was permanently present unnoticed in the population. Its terrible consequences only arose when something went inexplicably and unpredictably wrong.

I had undiagnosed polio when I was five months old. Two aunts came to visit from an area where there was an epidemic. Five days later I came down with a fever and respiratory symptoms. My two older brothers, who had been away, developed the same symptoms five days after they returned home. It did not appear serious.

Six months later, my father, who was a doctor, was playing with one of my brothers. He grabbed him by both ankles and immediately realized that one was smaller than the other. He checked on me and my other brother and found no abnormalities.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is possible that the Zika virus we are dealing with now is more serious than that we have known before. Viruses have a nasty habit of mutating. It was a mutated virus that caused the 1918 flu epidemic.

Mutations are not always for the worse, but the fact that serious problems are appearing in Brazil is disturbing.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is all coming together like some Michael Crichton novel. The upsurge of the virus. The Olympic games, to be held in Brazil. Even the sexual transmission angle (so helpful when you want to market the movie rights). The plot would involve a major disease outbreak worldwide as the virus is carried by athletes back to their home countries. Crichton would write it with valiant scientists developing a vaccine with unrealistic rapidity. Alas, I could just as easily see one of those dystopian novels. Bleak empty streets, grass growing tall in town squares.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

One reason the 1918 flu epidemic spread so fast was that men in the U.S. army who had come in contact with infected people were shipped from one military camp to another. The medical teams urged that camps be quarantined, but the army authorities said that military training must go on.

Moo

[ 29. May 2016, 22:58: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brazil estimates that half a million people will attend the Olympics (CNN). Given that 6.4 million international tourists visited Brazil in 2014 (World Bank), I don't see why the Olympics should be moved or cancelled. People from all over the world are already travelling to Brazil and back.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ruth--

Your CNN article mentions they expect half a million Olympic attendees in Rio. That's going to be a lot of people, crowded in together.

Since it seems it can be sexually transmitted, I hope they're helping sex workers to take precautions.

(Tangentially) Then there's the possibility of rape, which AIUI is very common there. (Not to mention extreme horrors, like the recent case of approx. 30 men gang-raping a teenage girl, and putting video of it online.)

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ruth's response is what I heard from organisers when I caught a glimpse of some news today.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In relation to the Olympics, and rich western tourists in general, the risks are much lower than those experienced by locals (especially the poor). The developed city centres, the nice hotels and stadia, will be kept largely clear of mosquitos - the ornamental water features will be disinfected, there won't be old tires etc left to collect water. Unless you decide on an excursion up the Amazon or wander into the slum districts you won't encounter very many mosquitos, and therefore will not be exposed to Zika to any significant extent. The poor living in squalid conditions, further than a mosquito can fly from the main tourist areas, are those who live in almost constant contact with mosquitos and are at risk from Zika.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of those half million, some of them will be Brazilians - they won't all be foreigners travelling in. And they won't all be packed in close together. The Olympic venues aren't all close together. If I were a pregnant woman in the northeast part of the country I'd be very worried. But if I won a free ticket to Rio, I'd worry a lot more about the crime rate than zika.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

There is now some evidence that Zika can be spread by sexual contact. Also, a man who has had Zika may still have the virus in his semen months after he has apparently recovered.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not certain, Moo. There is I think one confirmed case which was of a man infecting his wife. But he also suffers from a rare condition whereby there is blood in his sperm, so that may be the infective route. (There are also a few other reported cases though as yet unconfirmed).

But until it is sorted out it is wise to take adequate precautions.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canada’s first case of sexually-transmitted Zika virus, from April 25. Must be a different case, nothing about blood, everything about the virus living in semen for 2 months.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Canada’s first case of sexually-transmitted Zika virus, from April 25. Must be a different case, nothing about blood, everything about the virus living in semen for 2 months.

Yes, I think that's a separate case.

Of course, infection by semen containing blood is still a sexually transmitted route, so the claim that it is a sexually transmissible disease is technically correct, though not in quite the way normally meant.

Semen definitely contains the virus, though, so the risk is there. I wouldn't want my technical cautiousness about drawing conclusions about causation to be misinterpreted. The correlation in certain cases is definitely there.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016