homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Are we abandoning our youth? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Are we abandoning our youth?
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've jut entered this thread and am gob smacked that no one has the sense to actually ASK young folk what they want in exploring Christianity.

You all talk about your experience in the past but how many of you are under 30? The past is the past.

I have worked with, trained and written children's materials for a great many years and we have always talked with kids to ask them what their opinions were and engaged with THEM.

The vast majority of churches don't engage with children or young people. They organise things FOR them - activities that aren't where they are at. Youngsters need a voice and making them part and parcel of the decision making process in a church is how to do it.

Child Protection is no excuse for not doing children's/youth work. If you want to do it you will and comply with safety - it's common sense today. Don't we want to keep kids safe?.

I work with 11+s at the moment. They hate "old fashioned worship" and equally hate people pretending to be trendy. They need people to listen to their concerns about life in a Christian context. Be a sounding board. Be real. It is possible to do it and make a difference - even when you just have 2 or 3, as I do.

Young people are people not objects. So please let's listen, hear and act on what they are saying.

That's what Jesus did. He told the disciples to get lost when they wanted to stop children approaching him, sent to mothers packing and talked to kids himself. Follow Jesus - talk to kids, listen to them.

Jesus didn't just work with crowds but individuals. So small numbers are just as important as large.

The church can be very selfish in only thinking of older folks and expecting the young to fit in. Both can co-exist if there is true concern, listening and compromise.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair enough, Wild Haggis. But most folks are simply thinking aloud.
Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016