homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why, Justin, why? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Why, Justin, why?
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How come we're refused faculties for a picture of the Blessed Mother of God when our Archbishop preached recently (in Ephesus, of all places, I believe : "Close to this place we continue to seek the mercy of Christ and the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Lord, on Syria and the Middle East."

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm gonna guess that you know more about this topic, along with the answer to your question, than most of the people reading this.

So, would you care to fill in some of the details?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are in New Malden, then I would suggest your question needs to be addressed to whichever diocese grants your faculties. Not Justin, being head honcho of a diocese in Kent.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting question though, is the Archbish responsible for faculties?

I think the person with overall responsibility is the Dean of the Arches, but presumably the powers are delegated from the Archbishops.

Maybe it is a silly Church Law exam question: could an Archbish overrule the Court of Arches decision?

--------------------
arse

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

I think the person with overall responsibility is the Dean of the Arches, but presumably the powers are delegated from the Archbishops.

Maybe it is a silly Church Law exam question: could an Archbish overrule the Court of Arches decision?

The usual post responsible is the Chancellor of the Diocese I think. Or whichever post takes their place.

But given the volume of requests, there's usually some support mechanism for them, probably involving a committee to advise.

I'm not sure it is possible to say more at this stage. Was the proposal supported by the PCC? Is there some minority opposed? Does the Diocese have a policy on iconography that this "picture" (what sort?) violates.

And no doubt etc. etc.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way back then, when I used read the All England Law Reports, I was always amused to read of cases concerning the grant of faculties and subsequent appeals. My dim recollection is that it was a matter for the Diocesan in the first instance, a power usually delegated to the Chancellor. A dissatisfied party could then appeal, but it was only in the province of Canterbury that the appeal was to the Court of the Arches; some different body in York. I have no idea what changes, if any, have been made since then.

Certainly this is not a matter for Abp Justin.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mean he's a warmonger in the Catholic tradition, so why indeed?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it tacky?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone knows Justin's diary looks like this:

8:00 Morning prayer
9:00 Finish sermon. NB check Wikipedia - do telegrams count as social media?
10:00 Chat with Akinola - must remind him that excommunicating the C of E on Lillibet's 90th birthday would be rather poor taste. (NB is he one of the corrupt ones? Must ask David.)
11:00 Talk to chap on the Today programme about our wholehearted commitment to positive sounding abstract nouns and utter rejection of negative sounding abstract nouns.
12:00 Lunch with Lillibet. Mustn't forget chew toy for corgis. Bishop of Dover will do.
14:00 Send chaser email to Church Commissioners. Check if they are still investing in Afghan warlords.
15:00 Some chappie from the BBC wants to know if Anglican priests really do have diplomatic immunity from the Vatican.
16:00 Launch reign of terror against High Anglicans in New Malden. Don't forget matches!!! NB don't ask Waitrose for 'bloody stakes' this time - open to misinterpretation.
17:00 Pop into House of Lords to see if there's anything good on.
18:00 Pontius Pilates class (handwashing exercises)
18:30 Choral Evensong. Must remember to vet sermon for Theopaschitist heresy.
20:00 Pub. (Check that ghastly Mr Farage isn't present.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does "faculty" mean, in this context? Permission? Funding? I looked it up, but couldn't find anything that made sense.

Thx.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
If you are in New Malden, then I would suggest your question needs to be addressed to whichever diocese grants your faculties. Not Justin, being head honcho of a diocese in Kent.

I live there now, but this was years ago in another parish. It's a more global 'problem' though. Officially and on ecumenical occasions, our prelates use language and forms of worship that they disallow on their own turf.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Was it tacky?

No it was not, an etching in glass of the vision from the book of Revelation. On a more general note, try to introduce the intercession of saints in any (official, public) part of the liturgy and see how far you'll go if anyone complains.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
quote:

The usual post responsible is the Chancellor of the Diocese I think. Or whichever post takes their place.

But given the volume of requests, there's usually some support mechanism for them, probably involving a committee to advise.

I'm not sure it is possible to say more at this stage. Was the proposal supported by the PCC? Is there some minority opposed? Does the Diocese have a policy on iconography that this "picture" (what sort?) violates.

And no doubt etc. etc.

There's always, always a minority opposed to something in the CofE. Some have turned it into a sport, but if the Abp's happy to ask for the intercession of the BVM in Ephesus, the question is: should they be listened to?

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:

It would not be a problem here, our archdeacon's quite lovely. Long may he survive. [Votive]

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
Originally posted by Joesaphat:
quote:
Was it tacky?

No it was not, an etching in glass of the vision from the book of Revelation. On a more general note, try to introduce the intercession of saints in any (official, public) part of the liturgy and see how far you'll go if anyone complains.
You mean like this? (in subject matter). From a church near here. Clearly the diocese of Winchester didn't object to that one!

Thanks for filling in the subject matter a bit. Not sure I've got any more insights, though. Our requests for faculties have always gone through without any objections so I have no insight into what happens if there is a split in opinions in the parish.

(A faculty, BTW, Golden Key, is simply a permission to do something that requires prior approval. Most commonly to do with the fabric of the church. As churches actually belong to the CofE, then it acts as the ecclesiastical equivalent of civil planning permission, though its subject matter goes beyond that.)

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
quote:
quote:
Was it tacky?

You mean like this? (in subject matter). From a church near here. Clearly the diocese of Winchester didn't object to that one!

Thanks for filling in the subject matter a bit. Not sure I've got any more insights, though. Our requests for faculties have always gone through without any objections so I have no insight into what happens if there is a split in opinions in the parish.

(A faculty, BTW, Golden Key, is simply a permission to do something that requires prior approval. Most commonly to do with the fabric of the church. As churches actually belong to the CofE, then it acts as the ecclesiastical equivalent of civil planning permission, though its subject matter goes beyond that.)

yes, like this but etched on transparent glass on the door leading to the vestry

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thop0se who want a bit more context can find the sermon here.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Thop0se who want a bit more context can find the sermon here.

Thanks, Brother James, I wonder who wrote it for him. I'm a voracious reader of the Fathers but I cannot imagine Amphilochios of Iconium is on Abp's Justin's bedside table, heck, he does not even have an entry in Drobner. I'm not even sure he's translated. [Disappointed]

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If someone donates it, you get the faculty in reverse - right?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure it counts for an awful lot, but it would be a bit strange for an Archbishop to encourage asking for the invocation of the saints when at one of the 39 articles that all CofE priests are supposed to affirm their loyalty to with expressly calls the practice repugnant (article 12).

It doesn't bother me really, I think the 39 articles are a load of cobblers and I'm never likely to have to affirm, promise or do anything else to them. It does seem to be rather hypocritical of the hierarchy, however.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

I don't think there is any kind of pass on donations. I'm sure there are many things in churches which have been donated, but if anyone notices (presumably the archdeacon at very least) a faculty decision can be made that it is taken down and sold/donated/given away.

--------------------
arse

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
quote:

I don't think there is any kind of pass on donations. I'm sure there are many things in churches which have been donated, but if anyone notices (presumably the archdeacon at very least) a faculty decision can be made that it is taken down and sold/donated/given away.
Gosh no, there isn't, you had better pray that your tombstone's tasteful enough for many a cemetery, or any memorial or donations to the parish in memory of your dear departed one, even benches.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Not sure it counts for an awful lot, but it would be a bit strange for an Archbishop to encourage asking for the invocation of the saints when at one of the 39 articles that all CofE priests are supposed to affirm their loyalty to with expressly calls the practice repugnant (article 12).

It doesn't bother me really, I think the 39 articles are a load of cobblers and I'm never likely to have to affirm, promise or do anything else to them. It does seem to be rather hypocritical of the hierarchy, however.

It is hypocritical when he does it himself, very publicly, in the presence of an orthodox patriarch. It may of course be allowable under the new cleverly crafted declaration of assent: 'which faith the church is called to proclaim afresh in each generation... and to which it has born witness in its historic formularies, the 39 articles et caetera.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Possibly, but given that even the most snakebelly low Evangelical church probably has images of saints in its stained glass windows, it doesn't seem that an image of a saint is in itself regarded as a filthy rag of popery offered to the scarlet lady of the seven hills. Though if the image also says something like 'Hail immaculate co-redemptrix' you might have something of a problem.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Possibly, but given that even the most snakebelly low Evangelical church probably has images of saints in its stained glass windows, it doesn't seem that an image of a saint is in itself regarded as a filthy rag of popery offered to the scarlet lady of the seven hills. Though if the image also says something like 'Hail immaculate co-redemptrix' you might have something of a problem.

I agree, but I was specifically discussing Joesaphat's general comments:

quote:
On a more general note, try to introduce the intercession of saints in any (official, public) part of the liturgy and see how far you'll go if anyone complains.

--------------------
arse

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I live there now, but this was years ago in another parish. It's a more global 'problem' though. Officially and on ecumenical occasions, our prelates use language and forms of worship that they disallow on their own turf.

If this was years ago (before Welby was ABC?), then is a sermon preached recently really an appropriate target for saying they preach one thing and disallow another?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another person who doesn't know what a faculty is.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

It is just the permission an Anglican church needs to get to make majorish changes to the fabric of the building.

As the Established church, the CofE was allowed to opt out of the ordinary system of regulation for old buildings via a quango - but the flip side was that it had to do have a system of checking plans for changes itself. Hence the legal system for "faculties".

--------------------
arse

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:

Moo

A f...in nightmare, in most cases, and an excuse for your ecclesiastical betters to poke their nose into the organisation of your parish.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
A f...in nightmare, in most cases, and an excuse for your ecclesiastical betters to poke their nose into the organisation of your parish.

The problem here is that the Anglican church is a hierarchical system, so even if one is the incumbent of a parish, there is no sense that it is "your parish" nor that the system is unable to "poke its nose" into the local organising of it.

Indeed, uniquely amongst all the churches in the UK, the law explicitly states that a system of ecclesiastical courts can oversee changes to the fabric of Anglican buildings.

Of course, nobody is forced to work within the strictures of the Anglican church if you don't like it.

--------------------
arse

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Moo

That's one side of the coin - the other might be when your PCC want to "re-order" (ie move) a medieval font which has been quite happily minding its own business since the 14th century. *Then* it's quite good that they can't just go ahead and do it...*

*lest there is any wailing about the incumbent and PCC knowing what's best for their parish it should be noted that the re-ordering I'm thinking of did indeed eventually go ahead - just not in the way originally proposed.

Having to get a faculty and meet stringent requirements meant that the original meeting of the parish "good ideas club" couldn't get away with doing the first thing that had come into their head.

[ 09. June 2016, 08:43: Message edited by: betjemaniac ]

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two things.

1. A faculty isn't just an alternative to the planning system. It's much, much older. Part of what it's there for is to protect the local church building and its members past, present and future in their journey through the centuries from the whims of the incumbent, the wardens, the PCC for the time being, and from the demands of rich people who want to install memorials and other goodies that are tasteless or too adulatory of their families. The jurisdiction is as much concerned about with doctrinal and liturgical propriety as architectural antiquarianism.

2. Joesaphat, I recognise that you are annoyed, that this rankles with you. However, it's impossible for any of us to answer your question or offer any useful comments unless you tell us a bit about the history of the picture you are talking about, what it was of, how it was to be used, where it was to go etc. I am sure that your diocese would have given reasons at the time when they turned down the application.

For example, a picture of the Annunciation or a Nativity or a Madonna and child or anything in scripture are more likely to be approved than one that seemed to be celebrating and endorsing a specifically RC understanding of the Assumption, which is not recognised as CofE doctrine.

I'm quite surprised that the one Honest Ron linked to got through. It would strike me as a bit near the edge. It isn't CofE doctrine that Rev 12 describes the Assumption, and I suspect either that was concealed from the application back in 1933, or it only got its title since.

Alternatively, the Chancellor in your diocese may just not have liked your picture artistically. That happens.

[ 09. June 2016, 09:22: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of icons, this one blew me away.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Everyone knows Justin's diary looks like this:

8:00 Morning prayer
9:00 Finish sermon. NB check Wikipedia - do telegrams count as social media?
10:00 Chat with Akinola - must remind him that excommunicating the C of E on Lillibet's 90th birthday would be rather poor taste. (NB is he one of the corrupt ones? Must ask David.)
11:00 Talk to chap on the Today programme about our wholehearted commitment to positive sounding abstract nouns and utter rejection of negative sounding abstract nouns.
12:00 Lunch with Lillibet. Mustn't forget chew toy for corgis. Bishop of Dover will do.
14:00 Send chaser email to Church Commissioners. Check if they are still investing in Afghan warlords.
15:00 Some chappie from the BBC wants to know if Anglican priests really do have diplomatic immunity from the Vatican.
16:00 Launch reign of terror against High Anglicans in New Malden. Don't forget matches!!! NB don't ask Waitrose for 'bloody stakes' this time - open to misinterpretation.
17:00 Pop into House of Lords to see if there's anything good on.
18:00 Pontius Pilates class (handwashing exercises)
18:30 Choral Evensong. Must remember to vet sermon for Theopaschitist heresy.
20:00 Pub. (Check that ghastly Mr Farage isn't present.)

I know it's way back in the thread but I only just found this and it's the funniest thing I've read all morning.
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Overused]

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
quote:

Moo

That's one side of the coin - the other might be when your PCC want to "re-order" (ie move) a medieval font which has been quite happily minding its own business since the 14th century. *Then* it's quite good that they can't just go ahead and do it...*

*lest there is any wailing about the incumbent and PCC knowing what's best for their parish it should be noted that the re-ordering I'm thinking of did indeed eventually go ahead - just not in the way originally proposed.

Having to get a faculty and meet stringent requirements meant that the original meeting of the parish "good ideas club" couldn't get away with doing the first thing that had come into their head.

Why is it good? Its position served the needs of the 14th century and English Heritage. I'm quite happy to acknowledge that at its best, faculties are a protection against a vicar's whim or fishy, bad taste... but more often than not it boils down to churchmanship or the whim of other people than the vicar and pcc, who, clearly, cannot be trusted.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
quote:

The problem here is that the Anglican church is a hierarchical system, so even if one is the incumbent of a parish, there is no sense that it is "your parish" nor that the system is unable to "poke its nose" into the local organising of it.

Indeed, uniquely amongst all the churches in the UK, the law explicitly states that a system of ecclesiastical courts can oversee changes to the fabric of Anglican buildings.

Of course, nobody is forced to work within the strictures of the Anglican church if you don't like it.

then how come quite a few evangelical churches around me, if not all, can strip their churches bare of absolutely everything. I mean everything. Carpet the sanctuary, have cinema seating installed, a drum kit where the altar used to be and banners a-go-go, whereas it takes me months to simply be allowed to reserve the blessed sacrament of the Coptic community who worships with us, or to be allowed to encase a MU banner, admittedly rather 'assumptionish' looking?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know, but I suspect that those aspects might be deemed to have a liturgical significance, and if there's one thing I've learned from hanging round my Catholic brethren, it's that you can't just move that stuff around any old how as iconoclastic evos are wont to do.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Everyone knows Justin's diary looks like this: 'snip'

'snip

[Killing me] Love this. Thank you.

Martin P60 Love that picture. What is the website you got it from? Thank you.

If the picture in question is clearly about the 'Assumption of the Virgin Mary' then I guess therein lies your problem if your Diocesan structures are heavily low church in their views.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, afterthought, should have added 'and Mary as the Queen of Heaven'.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
then how come quite a few evangelical churches around me, if not all, can strip their churches bare of absolutely everything. I mean everything. Carpet the sanctuary, have cinema seating installed, a drum kit where the altar used to be and banners a-go-go, whereas it takes me months to simply be allowed to reserve the blessed sacrament of the Coptic community who worships with us, or to be allowed to encase a MU banner, admittedly rather 'assumptionish' looking?

I'm not playing whataboutery tennis. If you have a problem with other parishes and whether the changes they've made are or should be under the faculty regulations, you should take it up with an appropriate person in your diocese. I'm guessing that's the archdeacon in the first instance or possibly the Chancellor.

If you don't like the way the faculty system does things having been through the whole process of appeals, then you have one option left open to you. Don't let the door hit you as you leave.

--------------------
arse

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin60 - absolutely stunning piece of art, icon, devotional or whatever, it doesn't matter, it's such a powerful image.
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Glad you like it Thyme, Doone. One can follow links in it back to Lindsey Attwood I saw the original, about 7 years ago, at St. Mary's, Leamington, I was transfixed. I believe it's still there.

--------------------
Love wins

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
quote:

I'm not playing whataboutery tennis. If you have a problem with other parishes and whether the changes they've made are or should be under the faculty regulations, you should take it up with an appropriate person in your diocese. I'm guessing that's the archdeacon in the first instance or possibly the Chancellor.

If you don't like the way the faculty system does things having been through the whole process of appeals, then you have one option left open to you. Don't let the door hit you as you leave.

Nope, I'm staying. I want the same liberty for everyone though

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
quote:

Oh, and it's not whataboutery. They're in the same church, last I looked, cheesy, the same rules apply, or should

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you know that they did not obtain the necessary faculties to remove those items?

BTW, I'd doubt very much that a faculty is needed any more to bring in drum kits than to take up the hemline of a cassock to suit a new chorister.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church where I sang for 23 years was given a beautiful, traditionally styled candelabra - the multi votive candle type - in memory of the wife of one of the congregation. You wouldn't believe the fuss, just within the PCC, about accepting it, and where it was to stand (it's a large church) - and then we needed a faculty. It was eventually installed. I can see the value of the system, but when complicated by members of the PCC who simply want to go against the majority, the whole process becomes cumbersome, to put it mildly.

Rereading this post, it's clear that given the choice of abolishing a body, I would probably vote to abolish the PCC!

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
... BTW, I'd doubt very much that a faculty is needed any more to bring in drum kits than to take up the hemline of a cassock to suit a new chorister.

It isn't. A collection of drums are not a fixture.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
... BTW, I'd doubt very much that a faculty is needed any more to bring in drum kits than to take up the hemline of a cassock to suit a new chorister.

No, but removing a stone victorian altar, sorry, communion table, certainly does, and all the statuary, and organs, and pews, and reredos... need I go on?
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

No, but removing a stone victorian altar, sorry, communion table, certainly does, and all the statuary, and organs, and pews, and reredos... need I go on?
Yes, but it's clearly an evangelical shack from your description, and they don't do that sort of stuff. There have been waves of this iconoclasm in the past and no doubt there will be more to come.

It's not as if the CofE hasn't always had many people from the reformed tradition (which is I think where the previous waves of this originated), though whether that would be a fair assessment of the local position you relate I can't say. But my point is that there will be some places that go that way, and if they are in the ascendant there will be more of it.

Those things are there as part of the expression and signification of our faith, not as exhibits in an ecclesiatical museum.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Joesaphat, what about the first sentence of my post. Do you know that they did not have a faculty to remove those items?

BTW Enoch, I knew that no faculty was needed to bring in (or remove) a drum kit. Joesaphat seemed to be proceeding on the basis that one was.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016