homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Does the Queen decide who is honored?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Does the Queen decide who is honored?
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This story about the Queen passing out honors on her birthday made me wonder. Does she actually select the honorees? Or does someone else make the decision?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Australia, it's the Government who draws up the list in one way or another. Not sure if there is State govt involvement or if its just the big boys and girls in Canberra. I'd imagine there is some sort of committee. Personally, I like to pretend that HRH draws them out of a hat.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for double-post. Actually, what I'd like to happen is that the govt draws up a big list, they meet and are allocated numbers and the Queen pulls numbered counters out of a bag, holding them up, putting on her Queen voice and saying the number, like "Legs Eleven".

--------------------
Human

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The government decides for almost all though a small handful are within the Queen's gift. Off hand the Order of Merit is one.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost all of the honours announced yesterday in the UK will have been given "on advice". Names will have been submitted to the UK Prime Minister, or the Foreign or Defence Secretaries for vetting, consideration and ranking. The Queen is then advised to grant the honours; by tradition and quite unwritten the Queen and her viceroys in Commonwealth monarchies follow any advice given by the Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers in this or any other matter*.

In Australia and Canada, there is a Council which recommends the award of honours in the Orders of Australia and Canada. I think that NZ is very similar. Names submitted by the public are considered by a Secretariat within the Governor-General's Office. The formal award is made by the Governor-General as Chancellor of the Order. The political influence so strong in the UK is non-existent.

There are some specific honours which are in the monarch's personal gift - Knighthoods of the Garter and Thistle, any award in the Royal Victorian Order, the Order of Merit and (from memory) Companions of Honour. These will have been considered in the Private Secretary's office, perhaps on suggestions made externally, perhaps following a request from the monarch. No advice from any politician on those.

* The monarch of the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada etc is entitled to give advice, to seek advice and be advised. If the monarch is advised -eg to give approval to legislation passed, to dissolve Parliament and call an election, or anything else - that advice must be followed. Famously. Harold Macmillan refused to give advice to the Queen on who should be his successor. Instead, he he gave her a paper setting out details of soundings conducted within the Conservative Party about possible choices.He considered that it was HM's prerogative to make the choice and had he given advice she would have been bound to follow it. Practice since has been for the departing Prime Minister to give advice, even if that be to appoint the leader of an opposing party which has just won a majority in an election.

[ 12. June 2016, 02:29: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been recent occasions where the Palace (either HM directly, or through her Private Secretary) have objected to names submitted, and sometimes names were withdrawn, or stayed on the list, depending on what the PM wanted. The only one which comes to mind immediately was the several-year delay in Mick Jagger's knighthood, on account of his drug convictions and assorted instances of debauchery.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An example of HM exercising her right to give advice, and the PM accepting it.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before the process gets that far, anyone can submit an application for an honour to be given to someone else. There's a form on the Govt. website somewhere.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Before the process gets that far, anyone can submit an application for an honour to be given to someone else. There's a form on the Govt. website somewhere.

M.

If you're in the UK, you would go to this page. There are similar nomination sites for Oz and for Canada.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Net Spinster
quote:
The government decides for almost all though a small handful are within the Queen's gift. Off hand the Order of Merit is one.
HM Government decides who is put forward for an honour in the UK - with input from the Northern Ireland, Welsh and Scottish offices for people living outside England.

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office puts forward names of people from dependent territories - Tristan da Cunha, etc. The FCO also puts forward names sent to it from those commonwealth countries which still use the Crown honours system.

The sovereign alone decides on three types of honour: members of the Order of Merit, Knights of the Garter, and ranks within the Royal Victorian Order: this last is usually for those who work on the crown estate or who perform some specific service for the royal family - for example, staff at royal peculiers.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Do not forget that on the same basis as HM bestows the Garter, the Victorian Order and OM, she also does the Thistle.

Does anyone have definite knowledge about the award of Companion of Honour?

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pending information on the CH, I think I'm right in saying that the Garter (and doubtless also the Thistle) used to be awarded on advice, and only came to be within the Sovereign's personal gift comparatively recently- perhaps even during the current reign.
There's also something called the Royal Victorian Chain which is a rather exclusive personal award that ranks above the Royal Victorian Order.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prime Ministers - commonwealth as well as UK - send names to the Palace suggesting people become a Companion of Honour.

BTW Albertus, Garter knights have always been decided by the sovereign alone, similarly the Order of the Thistle.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one of us must be mistaken about the Garter and the Thistle, l'organist. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that in the C19 they were awarded on advice and were rather high-denomination bits of Prime Ministerial patronage (only awarded to people who were pretty grand and titled already, as a rule). There is IIRC also a minor sub-plot in one of the (later?) Palliser novels about that, and although Trollope wasn't infallible I think he generally knew what he was writing about when it came to politics.
And yes- bit of Googling finds this from Sir Ivor Jennings in 1959- appointments to Garter or Thistle could since 1946 be initiated by either the monarch or the PM.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Largely what Albertus said, certainly during the C19. I am not sure when that started though, perhaps with George I?

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Garter Knight - I always have this image of a bloke on a horse wearing stockings and garters.

What on earth is actually supposed to mean?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Garter Knight - I always have this image of a bloke on a horse wearing stockings and garters.

You're not far off.

"Honi soit qui mal y pense" and butch blokes in armour and blue thongs.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

A Garter Knight is a Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter. It is the most senior order of chivalry in the UK. There are now Garter Ladies as well, with identical standing. The Scots equivalent is the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, which ranks immediately below the Garter. I am not sure of the position in Scotland - it may outrank the Garter there. Now dormant of course is the Order of St Patrick, which was the Irish equivalent.

I hope this leaves you better informed, and also amused, rather than being bored. We could get into the Order of Wear in Australia and then compare it with that in the UK, Canada and NZ; that will really put you to sleep.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Prime Ministers - commonwealth as well as UK - send names to the Palace suggesting people become a Companion of Honour.

BTW Albertus, Garter knights have always been decided by the sovereign alone, similarly the Order of the Thistle.

I have it from one of those involved in the paperwork that General de Chastelain's name was suggested by the Palace, and winged by Prime Minister Chrétien for information and a theoretical non obstat. There was no Advice from Canada. I have another source with whom I can verify this but it will take a bit of time.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Would that have been advice Augustine, or comment? Had it come here, it would have been a matter for comment only.

There have been 3 Australians given a KG, all of them former Governors-General. I do not know the background to the honour being given to Lord Casey; I understand that HM sought comment from both the then PM and the Opposition Leader before the grant to both Sir Paul Hasluck and Sir Ninian Stephen.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Would that have been advice Augustine, or comment? Had it come here, it would have been a matter for comment only.

There have been 3 Australians given a KG, all of them former Governors-General. I do not know the background to the honour being given to Lord Casey; I understand that HM sought comment from both the then PM and the Opposition Leader before the grant to both Sir Paul Hasluck and Sir Ninian Stephen.

I capitalized Advice as that would have suggested a constitutional act/formal nomination. So it was really a courtesy note-- if there had been a possibility that it might have been controversial or not happy-making, there would have been some discreet calls before any paperwork happened to avoid difficulty (I understand that this happened once upon a time, but my source gave me no specifics). I have no idea if Mr Manning (then Opposition Leader) was consulted by anyone at any stage.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spiffy duds.

Good thing I'll never receive the privilege - I could never keep track of what to wear with what.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

We employ people to remember those things and dress us.

--------------------
Human

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
.... The Scots equivalent is the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle....

Can't remember who was the rather dim Scottish peer of whom it was said that they'd thought about giving him the Thistle but decided that he'd probably only eat it.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016