homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Male language, male Jesus (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Male language, male Jesus
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fausto:
What Cliffdweller and I are asking you to try to understand is that (1) "Father" and "Son" are indeed imperfect metaphors, especially when describing the ungendered nature of a non-anthropomorphic God or the co-eternal, co-equal, and uncreated nature of the persons of the Trinity, and that (2) the imperfection of the traditional formula's language does give rise to misunderstandings that do in fact injure rather than strengthen faith in some cases, but (3)such misunderstandings can be addressed through the use of other descriptions and metaphors, even though (4) such other descriptions and metaphors can also be imperfect in different ways.

I don't disagree with any of these things.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Part of my pov here is that I think it is important that we speak about God. God is a mystery, but God is a mystery that wants to be known. That's the whole point of Scripture, the whole point of the incarnation. God wants to be known and reveals God-self to us. But again, our language is limited. So when we start talking about God, we're going to fumble around. We are inevitably going to bump up against all the historic heresies, and particularly we're going to bump up against modalism. I'm simply suggesting we have a less hysterical response to that, a less anxious response, yes, more of a "it's not a big deal" response. That we simply say "oops-- yeah, that was modalism", explain what modalism is and why it falls short, and move on.

Right. Not sure what I have said that indicates I wouldn't agree. Except that modalism, as being a denial of one of the Big Two Defining Tenets of Christianity, is a bigger deal than things that are not denials of one of the Big Two Defining Tenets of Christianity.

quote:
To again, calm the heck down. Because when we don't, it has the tendency to shut down all conversation about God and all we do is repeat the same safe formulations-- which then robs even the safe and wonderful "approved" formulation of F/S/S of it's depth and beauty because we can't even talk about it without worrying about getting a toe over the heresy line.
I can't see how rejecting C/S/R (hard to use that abbv because in my first job it meant "Clean, Sweep, Refill") gives the message that we can't talk about either the problems with, or the beauty of, F/S/HS. Especially if it's made clear up front that it doesn't deny the Incarnation or the Trinity, its problems are more subtle and in many cases more personal than that.

Most theological problems change what yard line you're on, or put you in the stands, or in line for a hot dog. This is all expected stuff and no need for panic or denial of beauty. Denying the Trinity or the Incarnation puts you outside the stadium. This is a point I am not sure we've met eye-to-eye on yet.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I don't disagree with any of these things...

Right. Not sure what I have said that indicates I wouldn't agree. Except...

Except that you've done nothing but argue with those things. Nothing I've said or Fausto said is different from what we've said all along. Sheesh.

quote:

Except that modalism, as being a denial of one of the Big Two Defining Tenets of Christianity, is a bigger deal than things that are not denials of one of the Big Two Defining Tenets of Christianity.

...I can't see how rejecting C/S/R gives the message that we can't talk about either the problems with, or the beauty of, F/S/HS. Especially if it's made clear up front that it doesn't deny the Incarnation or the Trinity, its problems are more subtle and in many cases more personal than that. .

Modalism is not a "denial" of the incarnation or the Trinity-- it's an imperfect representation of those things. As are ALL our metaphors or language to describe the incarnation and the Trinity. And I don't see the problems of F/S/S as particularly "subtle". And I think they're quite universal, given that most of us are gendered.

quote:

quote:
To again, calm the heck down. Because when we don't, it has the tendency to shut down all conversation about God and all we do is repeat the same safe formulations-- which then robs even the safe and wonderful "approved" formulation of F/S/S of it's depth and beauty because we can't even talk about it without worrying about getting a toe over the heresy line.
I can't see how rejecting C/S/R gives the message that we can't talk about either the problems with, or the beauty of, F/S/HS.
It diminishes all our conversation about God when we have such an over-reaction to flawed analogies. Again, ALL our language about God will be flawed. It is important that we recognize that and important that we name and recognize the flaws, because what we say about God matters. But we also have to do that in a non-anxious, non-defensive way. When you react as if modalism or any other imperfect aspect of a metaphor is ebola, it makes it really really hard to talk about God-- even to talk about the problems of modalism. And honestly, that's how I hear it-- a hysterical over-reaction. I think that sort of reaction (which yes, I understand harkens back to the patristic era-- they were wrong) hampers all of our conversations about God. If the only "safe" thing to say about God is F/S/S, then even that "safe" thing is diminished because we can't have the freedom to explore to talk to develop analogies that would deepen our understanding and experience of God.

Again, I'm not suggesting we advocate modalism. I'm suggesting we adopt a less anxious and fraught response to it. I'm suggesting we talk about God, knowing there will be imperfections in our language & metaphors, and deal with those imperfections as they arise.

It's like trying to teach a toddler how to walk, and every time they take a fumbling, hesitant, awkward step you bark at them: "No! Not like that! Don't walk that way! That's not right!! Straighten your knees!!!" You might be absolutely correct in your orthopedic instructions but I doubt very much if your toddler will learn to walk that way.

QUOTE]Originally posted by mousethief:

quote:
[qb]Most theological problems change what yard line you're on, or put you in the stands, or in line for a hot dog. This is all expected stuff and no need for panic or denial of beauty. Denying the Trinity or the Incarnation puts you outside the stadium. This is a point I am not sure we've met eye-to-eye on yet.

Talking about imperfect metaphors, I have absolutely no clue what the heck you are saying here.

Bad! Bad Mousethief! Bad!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And honestly, that's how I hear it-- a hysterical over-reaction. I think that sort of reaction (which yes, I understand harkens back to the patristic era-- they were wrong) hampers all of our conversations about God.

Then our conversation is probably pointless. You haven't heard what I said, or reacted to it in just the same way you accuse me of reacting to modalism. You haven't really engaged with my presentation of heresies as having a hierarchy. You appear to be saying nothing is off the table, and I just can't agree with that.

I feel like I'm trying to teach a toddler to walk and they keep lurching for the hot stove, then complaining that they aren't being allowed the freedom of walking.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Patrick's Bad Analogies

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If merely allowing the possibility of modalism were enough to render an otherwise triune formula modalistic, then the traditional "Father, Son, Holy Spirit" formula must be even more strongly Arian (and antitrinitarian) than the "c/r/s" formula is modalistic. After all, it is simply impossible for a pre-existent, uncreated father to have generated a son who is equally pre-existent and uncreated. That in turn would mean that Arianism is scriptural and Trinitarianism is not.

Mousethief has answered the first paragraph well, but it's hard to know where to start with this one. What you have done is assume that time as we know it applied before the Creation. Clearly it did not; the creation was of our space and time, the four dimensions we are able to perceive*. But the Trinity existed before the Creation, it is eternal, that is beyond time, existing before and will continue to exist after.

*Some theorists posit that there are up to 14 dimensions, it gets their formulae to work. They may be right - we can never prove that there are only 4, just as a microbe can never prove that there are any beyond forward/backward and sideways.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I am still struggling to understand why "creator, redeemer, sustainer" and similar newly-minted formulas are being discussed as if they were necessarily modalistic. Yes, I understand that "c/r/s" ascribes to each person a primary function that the other two can also perform.

I fail to see how you can describe it thus and then turn around and say it's not modalist. Describing God in terms of functions and not persons is the very essence of modalism.
Does this help at all, or does it just make things worse?

Modalism is a form of "nothing buttery"--it takes God to be a single Person (nothing BUT a single person) who picks up various names depending on which particular function he is doing at the moment.

The c/r/s formula lends itself to modalism if one is already that way inclined--at best, we can say it doesn't prevent whatever modalistic leanings one might have lurking. But it doesn't cause them, and it can in fact be used by a perfectly orthodox Trinitarian who knows and believes all the usual caveats about how the Three Persons cofunction and coinhere. The formula itself makes no "nothing buttery" statement, but it doesn't prevent such a position, either--and that's a weakness.

So the problem is not that c/r/s is modalist in and of itself. The problem is that it is minimalist--it is missing the built-in protection against modalism that the F/S/S formula possesses. And that fact makes it very easy for both orthodox Trinitarians and modalists to use it without ever realizing that they don't mean the same thing by it.

If I've just made things worse, I'll go away.

ETA: It's not the describing of God in terms of function that is the essence of modalism. It's the downright declaration that he is "nothing but" one person who has various functions that is the essence of modalism.

[ 18. August 2016, 04:22: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think that was very clear and helpful.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, Lamb Chopped, on whether or not modalism is "fixable" with clear & explicit teaching, in the same way that the limitations of F/S/S are fixable-- or is modalism in and of itself so tainted that we cannot come near it, even with all the explanation in the world? Do you see the same "heinous hierarchy of heresies" that mousethief does?

Again, I'm concerned that we have become so heresy-adverse in the last 1300 years that we're containing from even talking about God in anything other than the most proscribed "safe" ways. I think that robs us of something valuable. Again, I'm not trying to promote modalism or any other heresy-- I agree with the patristics' take on this, but not their methodology. I just want to lower the anxiety level, the tension level, around our discourage about the divine.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I think you're onto something, LC (as is not unusual). But you're also missing part of my point. It's not defining God in terms of actions, but rather identifying actions/properties with persons of the Trinity. From there the step to modalism is infinitesimal. The C/R/S formula, used to replace F/S/HS, is saying "by Father we mean God in her role as creator. By Son we mean God in her role as Redeemer. By Spirit we mean God in her role as Sustainer." It doesn't scream modalism. But it whispers it.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Modalism is wrong. [..]

"Genderism" or whatever you want to call the error of F/S/S is also wrong.[..]

I am arguing (again, I've said this already) that we deal with the modalist limitations of C/R/S in the precisely the same way we deal with the "genderist" limitations of F/S/S. iow, use the formulation in whatever ways seems useful and helpful in our particular ecclesiastical context (recognizing mine is quite different from yours)-- and then teach to the problematic areas.

I agree that modalism and "genderism" are both wrong. I think everyone in this discussion does.

The problem I have with the c/r/s formula is that its wrongness is on a different level from the wrongness of gendering the Father. F/S/HS says something about the relationship between the three persons which we think is true, even though it contains the flaw of allowing you to think of the Father as male.

C/R/S, on the other hand, identifies the three persons as functions, and it's this identification of one function per Person which I think is wrong. So although creator, redeemer, and sustainer are three things that God does, the identification of one of those things with each Person is wrong - and not just a bit wrong, like the gendered Father - it doesn't have any right in it.

That's my problem with it - it's that it doesn't tell us anything correct about the Trinity.

[ 18. August 2016, 04:56: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

That's my problem with it - it's that it doesn't tell us anything correct about the Trinity.

I'm not sure if I'd agree that's true- but I want to mull it over further. But it's certainly a better reason to reject C/S/S than the prior negative argument.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to have to think about this one more, but I'm considering the analogy of what it would mean if someone were to refer to my family members as "Protector, Sustainer, Joy-Giver" instead of "father, mother, child". The parallel is more exact than I first thought, because surely all three of us carry out all three functions, though it is usual to specially associate each with a particular person. Is this formula, then, implying modalism? I would say not. We remain three separate people, and nobody would dream of saying my rather naff proposed formula gave any support to a modalist statement about our natures.

What then is the problem with the formula (besides its tweeness)? I wonder if it lies in reductionism. Those so inclined--which is a huge lot of people, it seems--can easily take the formula in the "nothing buttery" sense--Mr. L is "nothing but" a protector, I am "nothing but" a sustainer (aka cook, shopper, producer of random school supplies), and so on. It is problematic because it reduces each person to a function. That in itself is not modalism, but it IS a category error. Worse, it is the particular category error that enables the further mistake of true modalism to occur.

Modalism proper takes the error one step further--it not only reduces the persons to functions, but it ALSO goes on to deny the existence of separate persons at all. The formula does not deny this; it merely ignores it, is silent on the question altogether.

Which is IMHO what the C/R/S formula does with the Trinity.

[ 18. August 2016, 07:09: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
quote:
I am still struggling to understand why "creator, redeemer, sustainer" and similar newly-minted formulas are being discussed as if they were necessarily modalistic. Yes, I understand that "c/r/s" ascribes to each person a primary function that the other two can also perform.

I fail to see how you can describe it thus and then turn around and say it's not modalist. Describing God in terms of functions and not persons is the very essence of modalism.
Does this help at all, or does it just make things worse?

Modalism is a form of "nothing buttery"--it takes God to be a single Person (nothing BUT a single person) who picks up various names depending on which particular function he is doing at the moment.

The c/r/s formula lends itself to modalism if one is already that way inclined--at best, we can say it doesn't prevent whatever modalistic leanings one might have lurking. But it doesn't cause them, and it can in fact be used by a perfectly orthodox Trinitarian who knows and believes all the usual caveats about how the Three Persons cofunction and coinhere. The formula itself makes no "nothing buttery" statement, but it doesn't prevent such a position, either--and that's a weakness.

So the problem is not that c/r/s is modalist in and of itself. The problem is that it is minimalist--it is missing the built-in protection against modalism that the F/S/S formula possesses. And that fact makes it very easy for both orthodox Trinitarians and modalists to use it without ever realizing that they don't mean the same thing by it.

If I've just made things worse, I'll go away.

ETA: It's not the describing of God in terms of function that is the essence of modalism. It's the downright declaration that he is "nothing but" one person who has various functions that is the essence of modalism.

Very good points. I agree with everything you say -- except that the "minimalism" is a problem.

Here's why. If the c/r/s formula has a "minimalism" problem because it allows room for a modalist interpretation, then the F/S/S formula has an even greater problem because it is explicitly Arian. For every pair of father and son who have ever lived, it has been an absolute, incontrovertible truth that "there was a time when the son was not". However, if that truth is applied to God, it does not merely allow room for Arianism, it is the defining principle of Arianism. Unlike the c/r/s formula, the F/S/S formula cannot "lend itself to" Trinitarianism unless "one is already that way inclined" -- and one takes a very lenient approach to interpreting the metaphor.

So if we are not compelled to reject the scriptural F/S/S formula as false because it is antitrinitarian, or else reject Trinitarianism because it contradicts the scriptural formula, we must accept the reality that it is a flawed metaphor that is explicitly at odds with doctrine is some respects but useful for other reasons, and recognize the limitations of its flaws with our eyes open. But if we are willing to allow that much interpretive freedom in order to adopt a formula that so plainly contradicts orthodox doctrine on its face, it would be hypocritical to reject an alternative formula that does not contain such a stark inconsistency merely because it is more doctrinally ambiguous.

[ 18. August 2016, 10:28: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
I'm going to have to think about this one more, but I'm considering the analogy of what it would mean if someone were to refer to my family members as "Protector, Sustainer, Joy-Giver" instead of "father, mother, child". The parallel is more exact than I first thought, because surely all three of us carry out all three functions, though it is usual to specially associate each with a particular person. Is this formula, then, implying modalism? I would say not. We remain three separate people, and nobody would dream of saying my rather naff proposed formula gave any support to a modalist statement about our natures.

What then is the problem with the formula (besides its tweeness)? I wonder if it lies in reductionism. Those so inclined--which is a huge lot of people, it seems--can easily take the formula in the "nothing buttery" sense--Mr. L is "nothing but" a protector, I am "nothing but" a sustainer (aka cook, shopper, producer of random school supplies), and so on. It is problematic because it reduces each person to a function. That in itself is not modalism, but it IS a category error. Worse, it is the particular category error that enables the further mistake of true modalism to occur.

Modalism proper takes the error one step further--it not only reduces the persons to functions, but it ALSO goes on to deny the existence of separate persons at all. The formula does not deny this; it merely ignores it, is silent on the question altogether.

Which is IMHO what the C/R/S formula does with the Trinity.

I also agree with all of this. I tried to say the same thing earlier, but less articulately.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Soooo, if the functions are distributed (apart from the functions of Fatherhood, Sonship and Spirithood), which they obviously are, what is distinct about the Persons and the way they exercise the non-unique functions?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

It's too early in the morning to attempt UBB coding the hard way...

quote:
So if we are not compelled to reject the scriptural F/S/S formula as false because it is antitrinitarian, or else reject Trinitarianism because it contradicts the scriptural formula, we must accept the reality that it is a flawed metaphor that is explicitly at odds with doctrine is some respects but useful for other reasons, and recognize the limitations of its flaws with our eyes open. But if we are willing to allow that much interpretive freedom in order to adopt a formula that so plainly contradicts orthodox doctrine on its face, it would be hypocritical to reject an alternative formula that does not contain such a stark inconsistency merely because it is more doctrinally ambiguous.
I agree with most of what you say, but I disagree that the F/S/S formula ought to be called Arian. Again, this formula does not contain a corrective to that particular heresy--but that fact does not invalidate the formula itself. No formula is going to be able to prevent the 1001 heresies that exist. By the time you got done stuffing in preventives, you'd have something the size of the Bible. And much less coherent.

So I wouldn't rule out using either formula purely on the basis of "it doesn't prevent heresy X." To fail to prevent is not the same thing as to cause.

However, I would tend to avoid C/R/S on other grounds, namely the lack of Scriptural example. I look to the Bible to know better than I do, so if one formula gets used and the other omitted, that's the way I'll lean. Particularly in the case of baptism.

(notice those words "tend to avoid". I probably would in fact use the c/r/s formula without worry in the context of a clearly Trinitarian worship service, somewhere in the liturgy. The rest of the service would compensate for the possibility that someone might misread it as pre-modalism. Hopefully it would also compensate for the possibility that someone might misread it as "the First Person of the Trinity ONLY has this function, while the Second Person does something completely different..." )

Finally it's a good idea when planning worship to take into account the tendencies of the age. Arianism is not a terribly common problem today, at least compared to modalism. Modalism seems to be hiding behind every postmodern bush, at least in Western cultures. If we were back in Athanasius' day, no doubt the balance would be skewed the other way, and we'd have to look out for ways to emphasize the Unity and also the deity of Christ.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
I disagree that the F/S/S formula ought to be called Arian.

I'm not quite saying that it ought to be.

I'm saying that it ought to be called a flawed and potentially misleading metaphor which is nevertheless useful in an appropriate context -- in which case we should acknowledge that other flawed metaphors like c/r/s can be similarly useful in appropriate contexts. Otherwise, if it is instead (and I think mistakenly) taken as an authoritative summary of correct doctrine, it is nearly unavoidable to read it as necessarily implying that "there was a time when the Son was not", which happens to be Arianism's defining remonstrance against the Trinity.

Since obviously doctrine and tradition do not coincide with the straightforward Arian claim, I think the more appropriate interpretation ought to be as a flawed metaphor.

quote:

However, I would tend to avoid C/R/S on other grounds, namely the lack of Scriptural example. I look to the Bible to know better than I do, so if one formula gets used and the other omitted, that's the way I'll lean. Particularly in the case of baptism.

(notice those words "tend to avoid". I probably would in fact use the c/r/s formula without worry in the context of a clearly Trinitarian worship service, somewhere in the liturgy. The rest of the service would compensate for the possibility that someone might misread it as pre-modalism. Hopefully it would also compensate for the possibility that someone might misread it as "the First Person of the Trinity ONLY has this function, while the Second Person does something completely different..." )

I'm with you in the specific instance of baptism, but otherwise "Creator", "Redeemer", and "Sustainer" are all scripturally justifiable names for God. I think the bigger concern is what you described up above as "category error".

quote:
Finally it's a good idea when planning worship to take into account the tendencies of the age. Arianism is not a terribly common problem today, at least compared to modalism. Modalism seems to be hiding behind every postmodern bush, at least in Western cultures. If we were back in Athanasius' day, no doubt the balance would be skewed the other way, and we'd have to look out for ways to emphasize the Unity and also the deity of Christ.

Oh, there are plenty of Christians who find low Christology more understandable and appealing than either high Christology or ineffable via media Trinitarian mysteries. On an average day I'm usually one of them myself. But I agree with you that creeping modalism is probably more widespread -- and more to the point, more unrecognized.

[ 18. August 2016, 13:44: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

I would agree with that.

I'm not sure it makes C/S/S unusable, for the reasons stated above, but it does at least sharpen the corrective teaching that needs to take place if/when it is used.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

And to complete the circle:

quote:

Here's why. If the c/r/s formula has a "minimalism" problem because it allows room for a modalist interpretation, then the F/S/S formula has an even greater problem because it is explicitly Arian. For every pair of father and son who have ever lived, it has been an absolute, incontrovertible truth that "there was a time when the son was not". However, if that truth is applied to God, it does not merely allow room for Arianism, it is the defining principle of Arianism. Unlike the c/r/s formula, the F/S/S formula cannot "lend itself to" Trinitarianism unless "one is already that way inclined" -- and one takes a very lenient approach to interpreting the metaphor.

This.

Again, the reason this is more than just an esoteric theonerd debate is that it goes to the heart of our ability to speak of God. The wonderful, incomprehensible thing about the Bible is that in the pages of Scripture, finite human beings dare to speak of God. We dare to talk about God, to not only describe our experiences of God, but to draw conclusions on them, to make statements about God's character and essence. That's an incredibly audacious act. And an incredibly powerful act. I

This kind of give-and-take of experience/ conclusion/ evaluation/ correction is precisely the way we get to know anyone. I read Lamb's post, or Mousethief's, or fausto's, and I begin to draw conclusions, to form a picture of him/her. Then I read another post, and it shifts things-- I learn a bit more, I see places where my earlier conclusions were inaccurate or incomplete, I readjust my thinking and expectations. That's a natural, mostly subconscious process, but essential to the way we learn--including/especially the way we come to learn and know others. And again, the fact that we are explicitly invited to "taste and see"-- to learn and know Godself-- that's a sacred and wonderful thing.

But the whole way we have handled the heresy thing since the patristic era seems designed to short-circuit that process. By treating each heresy as ebola-- something to be ruthlessly contained and exterminated (sometimes literally) makes it pretty darn hard to have that sort of exploration-- that sort of wonderfully gradual unfolding of knowledge and awareness. It means that the only things we can say about God are the "safe", pre-approved things, even when, as fausto noted, those things have been shown to be just as faulty as the unsafe, unapproved things.

Again, not saying we should endorse or promote or ignore heresy-- it's important that we try to get it right, because what we say about God is important. Just that we be less anxious about it and so quick to shut down the process. This seems particularly true of modalism precisely because it is so prevalent. There's something almost natural about modalism-- it sort of the way we naturally tend to categorize things-- and people. It's wrong for all the reasons Lamb noted-- both about people and about God-- to limit them to their functions, but it is also natural. We think of people as The Doctor, The Athlete, The LoudMouthed KnowItAll ( [Hot and Hormonal] ). It's totally wrong, but it is our starting place. And then we start to know them in a broader, more inclusive way.

Having a less anxious response to modalism would, I believe, allow us to simply talk more about God. We could start to spin analogies or talk about our experiences, without this ever-present fear of stepping a toe over the line. Then we can, clearly and explicitly, but without so much frantic haste and urgency, correct the inaccuracies-- the limitations, the reductionism.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

But the reality is, the F/S/S formula is used only once in Scripture. I can't think of any other formula that's used anywhere in Scripture. The separate entities of F/S/S appear of course throughout Scripture-- but then, so do C/R/S. otoh, the one and only instance of a F/S/S formula is specifically in the context of baptism, which is why I agree with you that at the very least, the formula should be retained for baptism.

quote:

Awesome! Yes, that's precisely what I'm arguing for. Oh, good, I so like it when we agree... makes me feel like I'm on to something... [Smile]

quote:

Good point. All the more reason for good and explicit teaching. The problem with being too formulaic (outside of liturgy) is that the words tend to become meaningless-- we tend to hear them with the same filters so that we don't notice the subtle implications that we've been unpacking here. Breaking out of the norm in our analogies/language gives us occasion to do that-- to begin unpacking all the layers of meaning. And then when we go back to the default F/S/S in our liturgy, it has so much more depth and meaning because we've given it a purpose and a context and thought about all those things that wash over us when that's all we ever say.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
But the reality is, the F/S/S formula is used only once in Scripture. I can't think of any other formula that's used anywhere in Scripture. The separate entities of F/S/S appear of course throughout Scripture-- but then, so do C/R/S. otoh, the one and only instance of a F/S/S formula is specifically in the context of baptism, which is why I agree with you that at the very least, the formula should be retained for baptism.

But all scripture is not created equal. Only one part is printed in red, for very good and defensible reasons, and we should pay very close attention to the words of Christ that we have in Holy Writ. And "Father" comes effortlessly off his lips, over and over and over. And what is more he describes the relationship between himself and the First Person of the Trinity with father/son language far more often than with any other relationship language. In short, if there's a problem with using these relationship words to describe the relationship between the First and Second Persons, then don't talk to me, talk to Jesus.

Further I don't think he ever talks about that relationship using "Creator" and "Redeemer." Those are not words describing the relationship between Persons but between the Godhead and the created realm. Which is a big chunk of why C/R/S is not a Trinitarian formula. I should think a Trinitarian formula should describe the Trinity as such. F/S/S does not, alas, refer to the nature of the relationship of the Third Person to the other two, so it is imperfect in that respect. But it does refer to the relationships to the first two Persons, and, and this is important, using Dominical language.

I confess I don't understand your point about angst at all. In saying that something is modalist, I am making a statement of fact (or not fact if I'm wrong), not referring to my inner states. And it seems to me that inferring things about my inner states therefrom is rude. And skirts the borders of Bulverism.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

But all scripture is not created equal. Only one part is printed in red, for very good and defensible reasons, and we should pay very close attention to the words of Christ that we have in Holy Writ. And "Father" comes effortlessly off his lips, over and over and over. And what is more he describes the relationship between himself and the First Person of the Trinity with father/son language far more often than with any other relationship language. In short, if there's a problem with using these relationship words to describe the relationship between the First and Second Persons, then don't talk to me, talk to Jesus.
totally agree with the above (even the "words in red" part-- a more controversial rubric that sometimes gets me in hot water). Which is why I am not arguing for jettisoning F/S/S, especially in context of the baptismal liturgy.

quote:

I confess I don't understand your point about angst at all. In saying that something is modalist, I am making a statement of fact (or not fact if I'm wrong), not referring to my inner states. And it seems to me that inferring things about my inner states therefrom is rude. And skirts the borders of Bulverism.

Sorry-- this was not meant to be a statement about you in particular but rather the church post-Nicea in general. More of a general statement of "we treat modalism like ebola" not specifically "mousethief treats modalism like ebola".

[ 18. August 2016, 15:36: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
totally agree with the above (even the "words in red" part-- a more controversial rubric that sometimes gets me in hot water). Which is why I am not arguing for jettisoning F/S/S, especially in context of the baptismal liturgy.

Fair enough. I realize now looking at it that it really was more of a response to fausto than to you. Sorry about that.

quote:
More of a general statement of "we treat modalism like ebola" not specifically "mousethief treats modalism like ebola".
Fair enough.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Sir Thomas Browne made a distinction between downright heresy and bare error (in Religio Medici, which is a purely awesome book). The distinction appears to lie in the teachability (or otherwise) of the person putting forth the error. The one who is willing to discuss, learn, find out more, and so forth is not guilty of heresy, which requires a crappy attitude, aka obstinacy and incorrigibility under any circumstance.

There is a third category, that of "we don't know yet," aka speculation. It's a place to walk very carefully indeed, and not at all a place to get dogmatic or even to attempt to teach others, in case one turns out to be wrong when the facts finally do come out. But it isn't heresy either.

And I suppose I'd add a fourth category, that of teachings Christians differ on in all good faith, which do not in themselves imperil our mutual standing as members of the family of God.

I started off posting this because I thought it worthwhile to mention that not everyone caught in some error is a heretic. Most of us have been in error at some time or other, and were perfectly happy to learn better. I was.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Sir Thomas Browne made a distinction between downright heresy and bare error (in Religio Medici, which is a purely awesome book). The distinction appears to lie in the teachability (or otherwise) of the person putting forth the error. The one who is willing to discuss, learn, find out more, and so forth is not guilty of heresy, which requires a crappy attitude, aka obstinacy and incorrigibility under any circumstance.

There is a third category, that of "we don't know yet," aka speculation. It's a place to walk very carefully indeed, and not at all a place to get dogmatic or even to attempt to teach others, in case one turns out to be wrong when the facts finally do come out. But it isn't heresy either.

And I suppose I'd add a fourth category, that of teachings Christians differ on in all good faith, which do not in themselves imperil our mutual standing as members of the family of God.

I started off posting this because I thought it worthwhile to mention that not everyone caught in some error is a heretic. Most of us have been in error at some time or other, and were perfectly happy to learn better. I was.

Oh, I like this. So much so that I've copied the post to my notes to follow up on in my lecture/class discussions on "intellectual hospitality".

otoh I am cursing you for adding yet another compelling book to my growing pile of must-reads.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Wisely expounded, LC.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

[Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin]

Thomas Browne is pure awesomeness in a text. I did my darndest to find a doctoral topic in his stuff so I could revel in reading him, but no luck [Waterworks] . I read him anyway. His stuff is like sanity, like light, like waking up after nightmare, and filled with the love of God and of reason.

If you ever want to see a sane Renaissance take on questions like "Did Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?" try his Pseudodoxia Epidemica (On Vulgar Errors), which, despite the titles, is in English. (AFAIK all his stuff is in English.)

And Religio Medici is a one or two hour read, and doubtless available on Gutenberg Project.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
quote:

Fair enough. I realize now looking at it that it really was more of a response to fausto than to you. Sorry about that.

I have no quarrel with the hermeneutical principle of looking first to the teachings of Jesus, and interpreting other scripture harmoniously. However, I also think you have to look at the context in which he spoke his words, and ask whether it is valid to use the same words in a different context. Sure, he called God "Father", and not only as the father of himself, but also as the father of us all. Nevertheless, whenever the word "son" appears in red letters, it is always as the "son of man", never the "Son of God". "Son of man" is not a christological description, but an epithet for a typical human being, a "regular Joe", an everyman. It also is a term used to describe the (human) hero-figure of Daniel, with which he sometimes seemed to identify himself.

I think it's too much of a stretch to look to Jesus's use of the terms 'father' and 'son' to justify any position either preferring or avoiding their use in a specifically Trinitarian context. (An obvious exception would be the baptism liturgy, where both Arians and Trinitarians have traditionally recited his baptismal instructions at Matthew 28:19 verbatim, but some modalists like Oneness Pentecostals have preferred the Acts 22 admonition to baptize in Jesus's name alone.)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Jesus did not use "son of God" and I agree that "Son of Man" just means "Human Being." But Jesus did use Father/Son wording in ways that were meant to specifically talk about his relationship with God. For example I give you John 5:19:

Jesus gave them this answer: "Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does."

Here he is clearly referring to himself as "the Son" and not to everyman.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:

One of the most meaningful episodes of the NT to me is the scene in Acts 2 where the Holy Spirit reaches through the divisions of the gathered believers to speak to each in the language he or she is best equipped to understand. I actually think very few of the ancient christological 'heresies' are so dangerous that they lead their followers further away from God rather than closer toward God. Moreover, as this discussion of traditionally masculine-gendered language illustrates, even orthodox teaching can discourage rather than nurture faith if poorly administered. I prefer to speak of heterodoxy and orthodoxy rather than heresy and truth.

[ 18. August 2016, 17:40: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I suppose I ought to identify myself as "not a red letter prioritizer."

I take the black letter stuff to be inspired by the Holy Spirit (in so far as we haven't mistranslated, miscopied, etc.) and I see no reason to prioritize the words of one member of the Trinity over another.

But of course those of you (the majority on Shipboard) who don't hold my position on inspiration will naturally come to different conclusions.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I take the black letter stuff to be inspired by the Holy Spirit (in so far as we haven't mistranslated, miscopied, etc.) and I see no reason to prioritize the words of one member of the Trinity over another.

Unless by "inspired by the Holy Spirit" you mean "spoken by the Holy Spirit" then the comparison doesn't hold. In my understanding the black letters are not (by and large) the spoken words of God the way the red ones are. (Exceptions might be formulas like "the word of the Lord came to me, saying....")

Unless you believe Paul was a mere puppet, his words were his words, not the Holy Spirit's.

[ 18. August 2016, 17:57: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Jesus did not use "son of God" and I agree that "Son of Man" just means "Human Being." But Jesus did use Father/Son wording in ways that were meant to specifically talk about his relationship with God.

Never said he didn't. What I did say was:

quote:
Sure, he called God "Father", and not only as the father of himself, but also as the father of us all.

In the Trinitarian context, I think "Father" is traditionally understood to describe a relationship not only with the Son, but also with all humanity (who are represented in the Trinity by the human element of the Son's nature, and on whose behalf the Son serves as mediator with the Father).

quote:
For example I give you John 5:19:

Jesus gave them this answer: "Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does."

Here he is clearly referring to himself as "the Son" and not to everyman.

We have to be careful in discussing the Gospel of John. Most scholars understand it not to be an attempt to record a more-or-less factual history like the three synoptic gospels, but an impressionistic portrait illustrating the author's own theological understanding. What we see in John is the theological Christ as John hoped others would come to understand him, not necessarily the walking, talking Jesus in his own time.

However, even if that verse is a factual record of something Jesus actually said, it is also a particularly poor illustration of the Trinitarian principle that the relationship of Father and Son is between autonomous equals, rather than between an autonomous superior and a dependent subordinate.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Well if John is going to be off-limits then we may as well throw out the majority of Orthodox theology. Or just decide not to discuss with one another. We take all 4 gospels to be canonical and their teachings to be equally binding. I'm going to argue from that POV and if that's not going to be a common assumption with you, then we really need to stop discussing it now lest we become frustrated with one another and get upset.

quote:
In the Trinitarian context, I think "Father" is traditionally understood to describe a relationship not only with the Son, but also with all humanity (who are represented in the Trinity by the human element of the Son's nature, and on whose behalf the Son serves as mediator with the Father).

As far as I know, the Trinity is a tripersonal Godhead, and is so independent of humanity. "Father" and "Son" in the Trinity are not meant to express a relationship with human beings, but with each other. Where does your supposition come from? I am not familiar with that use of the Trinitarian language at all.

quote:
However, even if that verse is a factual record of something Jesus actually said, it is also a particularly poor illustration of the Trinitarian principle that the relationship of Father and Son is between autonomous equals, rather than between an autonomous superior and a dependent subordinate.
Not sure why that matters. I thought we were talking about the Father/Son metaphor as used between the first and second persons of the Godhead. Not contrasting equality or subordination or any of that.

That aside I don't see subordination here but humility. Is this not an example of kenosis? Is that concept in your theology? (I ask not sarcastically but inquiringly.)

It seems to me that kenosis is an example of something the Second Person has, but the First Person does not. If that means P2 is "subordinate" to P1, then so be it.

[ 18. August 2016, 18:20: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Well if John is going to be off-limits then we may as well throw out the majority of Orthodox theology.

Not at all. We just need to discuss it as a broad theological treatise on its own terms, not as an accurately detailed historical transcript. That's how most scriptural scholars understand it. That's how Orthodox theology receives it.

If it were a picture rather than a document, it would be Van Gogh's painting of the "Starry Night" , not Yousuf Karsh's photograph of WInston Churchill.

[ 18. August 2016, 18:37: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

Unless you believe Paul was a mere puppet, his words were his words, not the Holy Spirit's.

We believe they were both. But AFAIR this is a deceased equine, and I'll shut up now.

--------------------

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
if you want to communicate with someone, you have to do so in a language he understands. And if he understands the pronoun in this sentence to be referring to a male person, then you need to find some different language.

Yes communicating in a language people understand is a good idea. But I don't read the OP as displaying any lack of comprehension.

I believe that God is beyond our understanding, with neither a male mind nor a female mind but something above and beyond either. Whilst at the same time I trust that when Jesus likened our relationship with God to that between a child and a loving father then He knew what He was talking about.

And that position doesn't seem to me to be particularly difficult or complex so as to require expressing in different words so that others understand. (Not claiming that I've said it well, just that the problem is more not liking it than not understanding it).

Of course those whose experience of fathers is painful won't have the same emotional response to that idea as those of us who are fortunate to have been loved by our male parent. For sone people the fatherlikeness of God isn't a good place to start.

Doesn't mean it's untrue or we shouldn't say it. Just that it's unhelpful for some people, and they're better off starting elsewhere, approaching from a different angle.

When St Paul says that he has fought the good fight and run the race to the finish, you don't have to be a warrior or an athlete to know what he means.

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
I suppose I ought to identify myself as "not a red letter prioritizer."

But of course those of you (the majority on Shipboard) who don't hold my position on inspiration will naturally come to different conclusions.

Fwiw, I would share your view of inspiration but would still be a "red letter prioritizer" tho possibly for different reasons. I think it's clear the NT writers are reading the OT through the NT-- thru the Christ event. OT scholars hate this, but it's unmistakable. And Jesus does it too, especially in the Sermon on the mount when he'll take an OT passage ("you have heard it said") and reinterpret it in entirely new ways

So while I would agree very much that all of scripture is inspired by God and authoritative, the best and clearest revelation of God is Jesus himself. Therefore the loose rubric I use for, for example, dealing with apparent contradictions is: the closer a text is to the Christ-event, the clearer the revelation. Thus as Christians we acknowledge that we do read the OT differently than Jews (tho hopefully informed by their reading). We read the OT thru the lens of the NT

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
So while I would agree very much that all of scripture is inspired by God and authoritative, the best and clearest revelation of God is Jesus himself.

Agree with this and the rest of this post.

quote:
quote:

We believe they were both. But AFAIR this is a deceased equine, and I'll shut up now.
Ah good point about deceased equine (even though you're wrong about the first half). Abandoning tangent in 5-4-3-2-1....

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've been reading a book on Karl Barth. (I have not been reading Barth himself; I don't have nearly enough energy right now.). I thought of this thread when I came across this way he put forward to speak of the Trinity: Revealer, Revelation, Revealedness (German Offenbarsein). The Father is the one who acts to reveal Godself, but who takes no form. The Son is the revelation of God to humanity, who does take form. The Holy Spirit consummates God's revelation by preparing and enabling humanity to receive it.

God's self-revelation is, of course, a key matter for Barth.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

circling back to the OP, Barth has some interesting things to say about male/ female. He draws from Gen. 1:27 "in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them" to suggest that the image of God is not anything found in any one individual, but is found uniquely in intimate community. Another reason why genderist language creates a false picture.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
circling back to the OP, Barth has some interesting things to say about male/ female. He draws from Gen. 1:27 "in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them" to suggest that the image of God is not anything found in any one individual, but is found uniquely in intimate community. Another reason why genderist language creates a false picture.

In the original Hebrew of the verse, the word rendered "God" in English is elohim, which in any other context would be plural, or "gods", but is almost always interpreted as singular when referring to the God of Israel. Does anyone here know Hebrew well enough to say precisely what the Hebrew pronoun means that is rendered as "he" in English? I don't. Is it masculine? Is it singular?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

There is, strictly speaking, no pronoun, since Hebrew is one of those languages where the ending on the verb tells you the pronoun. The verbs are conjugated for a male.

Not for the faint-of-heart.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
There is, strictly speaking, no pronoun, since Hebrew is one of those languages where the ending on the verb tells you the pronoun. The verbs are conjugated for a male.

Not for the faint-of-heart.

Interesting, thanks. There's no verb or pronoun in the Hebrew, but I presume there's a similarly male grammatical construct for the 'his' in 'in his own image'?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I think I misled you. There is a verb, just not a separate pronoun for the subject of the verb.

"In his own image" is בְּצַלְמֹו or bzalmu (fourth word in from the right). The "u" on the end is "his." (The "b" on the beginning is "in") The "own" appears to be an addition by the translators for clarity or euphony because it doesn't correspond to any particular element in the Hebrew.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Sorry, I had my dots wrong. It's bzalmo not bzalmu. Doctor Mallon, my old Hebrew prof, would be ashamed.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first Spiritual Director (also known as "Mum") replied to my question on this topic: "I don't think they'd have listened to a woman in those days, dear-ie"

In all the years since (at least fifty) I have NEVER heard a more convincing argument.
And I am a feminist and a reader of books by terribly clever people (much more so-called qualified and edu-ma-cated than she had the opportunity or wish to be)

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
My first Spiritual Director (also known as "Mum") replied to my question on this topic: "I don't think they'd have listened to a woman in those days, dear-ie"

The disciples did listen to Mary Magdalene on the morning of the Resurrection even though they didn't at first believe what she claimed to have seen. Not that this was necessarily sexist more just the way people are.

I think it is significant that women feature prominently in the Gospels, and in the missions of St Paul when this could have been easily airbrushed out. It also appears there was a greater degree of parity between male and female among the early Christians. This was lost when Rome took the religion and superimposed existing Roman values which held females firmly in second place to males, (as did virtually every other culture, society and civilisation).

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re. the OP, I just came across the following passage and was reminded of this thread:

quote:
But Zion said, "The LORD has forsaken me, And the Lord has forgotten me."

"Can a woman forget her nursing child And have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.

Isaiah 49: 14-15

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a bit of the the "Brief Statement of Faith" of the PC(USA) that says:

Like a mother who will not forsake her nursing child,
like a father who runs to welcome the prodigal son home,
God is faithful still.

One minister I knew regularly used that as a Call to Worship, following it with "Let us worship our faithful God." It was done specifically to start the service with expanded language for God.

[ 21. August 2016, 18:47: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016