homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you enjoy worship, is it worship? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: If you enjoy worship, is it worship?
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I recollect, at St Beuno's Church, Nefyn, North Wales, they still have a set of dog tongs used by the churchwardens to separate argumentative dogs brought into services by their sheep-farmer owners.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I was going to mention that, although it's actually at Clynnog Fawr a mile or two up the road. I certainly remember seeing them in around 1970!

[ 25. August 2016, 11:15: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I recall seeing them too.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
*sigh* that was a nice thread we had about worship, once. [Disappointed]

I've started a thread for folks who would like to pursue the tangent [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Jesus said nothing about a lot of things. But what he did speaks also. He did not spend his entire life in the Temple, nor in the Synagogue. But he did go there, presumably to worship. Now what you call what you do outside the Temple or Synagogue, isn't really the issue. The question of this thread as far as I can tell has to do with what we do INSIDE the Temple/Synagogue. Should THAT activity be boring? Whether or not something outside those confines counts as "worship," while interesting, is a separate question and not really relevant.

It's the OP that initially compared what happens inside church with what happens outside, and which raises the question of what we mean by 'worship'. I'm simply pursuing that thought.

Now you've raised the tangential question as to whether our we should envision our church worship as somewhat akin to 'temple' or 'synagogue' worship. I'm not entirely convinced that we should, but Christians from different traditions are likely to disagree about that.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Now you've raised the tangential question as to whether our we should envision our church worship as somewhat akin to 'temple' or 'synagogue' worship. I'm not entirely convinced that we should, but Christians from different traditions are likely to disagree about that.

I'm not sure what you mean here by "akin to." Do you mean to say I was suggesting our worship be somehow "like" synagogue worship, in form or appearance? If so then it wasn't my intention to do so.

Or do you mean I was suggesting that synagogue worship plays an analogous role in a Jew's life that church worship plays in a Christian's? I could cop to that. I think this is the case and this was what I was driving at.

That wasn't my intention. Just to make the analogue between what a Jew does inside versus outside the synagogue (in particular one specific Jew) and what Christians do inside or outside the synagogue. At the time I wrote that, modeling our

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooops. Preview post is your friend.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016