homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Sermon (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Sermon
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK then you are illustrating that your church experience is different to mine, cliffdweller.

In the various experiences of church within which my daughter has spent many years at Sunday school in the UK, these passages have come up many many times.

I have also certainly heard several times (hard to guess how many during my life) about the violent passages in sermons.

I've also never ever heard a sermon on Obidiah, and can only remember once or twice hearing anything on the minor prophets - and those were mostly in the kinds of High Anglican church where they appear in the lectionary readings.

I wish I'd been at your church, I think it sounds rather amazing.

[ 30. August 2016, 16:03: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I don't know, Eutychus, if Calvin and Luther were allowed to have opinions as to the worth of different parts of the New Testament canon - and remain as figureheads of the Reformed (and parts of the Evangelical) tradition - then I think I am.

You're welcome to your opinion. But I think their arguments went a bit beyond "well that bit's obviously stoopid".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the context of this thread about sermons (which you say you have generally had enough of listening to anyway) you have yet to produce any definitive statement of which parts of the Bible you think should be preached on, beyond a vague criterion of focusing on the "christlike" bits, apparently.

Whatever that means, I somehow suspect it doesn't include, say, Revelation 19:11-16.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cliffdweller, can you explain what you mean by a "red letter rubric" (at first I thought you meant you were an aficionado of the "red letter Bible"...) [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I can't remember the last sermon I heard on Samson, with one exception. A few months ago I was preaching on an Epistle about following the example of Paul, and turned to Hebrews 11 and that list of exemplars of great faith. Which is a fascinating list, because basically none of them were actually outstanding people. So I mentioned Samson, who is in that list and everyone knows - a man of uncontrolled rage, prone to affairs with foreign women (that would be "consorting with the enemy") and several other unsavoury character flaws. David who effectively rapes Bathsheba and murders her husband to hide it. And, so on ... a list that takes us inexorably to some of the worst people in the OT, yet they're commended for their faith. There's hope for the rest of us, if even that crowd of villains gets such an accollade.

This just makes me wonder whether [parts of the] epistles were even written by someone familiar with the stories or just the fabled names of the characters. And certainly makes me wonder whether all of the epistles are really worth of being preached.
It doesn't look like that at all to me. It seems apparent to me that the NT authors, even the presumably less-educated/working class authors like Peter, were incredibly biblically literate. They seem to have a pretty substantial working knowledge of the OT-- the sort that is common in preliterate societies where large portions of sacred text is committed to memory.

What it DOES seem to indicate, though, is that the NT authors were not well-trained in our beloved historical-grammatical method. [Snigger] They break all the rules-- pulling texts entirely out of context, proof-texting, dramatically ignoring the "original intent of the author".

Which should give those of us who are so well-trained in modern scholarship some pause. I certainly can't feel comfortable engaging in the sort of free-wheeling, incautious use of the OT that, say, Matthew feels free to employ. Maybe that goes to the view of inspiration. But it certainly leads me to feel justified in employing some sort of "red letter" rubric which suggests (contrary to my colleagues next door in the OT dept) that Christians can and do read the OT thru the lens of the NT.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
You're welcome to your opinion.

quote:
But I think their arguments went a bit beyond "well that bit's obviously stoopid".
Mine goes beyond that. As shown by the discussion above. I'm rather amazed to find that I'm almost totally in agreement with cliffdweller on this point.

quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the context of this thread about sermons (which you say you have generally had enough of listening to anyway) you have yet to produce any definitive statement of which parts of the Bible you think should be preached on, beyond a vague criterion of focusing on the "christlike" bits, apparently.
As cliffdweller suggests,

quote:
It's part of the canon, so people are going to see them, and have questions, and those questions should be affirmed and answered. But sometimes you have to ask, "how much time/attention is this worthy of? Will this 'edify'?" It's hard to fault a pastor/teacher who chooses to spend that limited time/attention exploring in greater depth something we DO think is relevant/authoritative-- like the prophets or Jesus' teachings.
This.

quote:
Whatever that means, I somehow suspect it doesn't include, say, Revelation 19:11-16.
Is it useful or relevant? If no, then I'd waste very little time on it. Any more than I'd spend any time preaching through Numbers. Pointless.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

And just to pick up some other loose ends:

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
But it's a much narrower group than just "charismatic", which is quite diverse, especially globally. I know it's hard to unpack such a precise definition in this forum, but when you're making the sort of accusations you made here, it would be helpful-- the term "plenty of" really does not seem to convey that.

That's probably another thread. Your call if you want to try and make the topic fly.

quote:
Ymmv, of course, but that's not really a characteristic of evangelical churches.
My mileage does vary to an extent. I was pushing the point a bit, nevertheless I think a lot of evangelical churches round me - on reflection perhaps those that are aping charismatic churches in format without actually being charismatic - are in grave danger of actually not including much Bible content at all on a Sunday morning, despite what it says on the tin.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cliffdweller, can you explain what you mean by a "red letter rubric" (at first I thought you meant you were an aficionado of the "red letter Bible"...) [Ultra confused]

Yes, we discussed that earlier-- altho maybe that was on another thread? I've forgotten.

We cross-posted-- my last post may help explain somewhat.

I am in some sense arguing for the "red letter Bible." That Christians inevitably do prioritize the words of Jesus. And we shouldn't apologize for that. We inevitably do read the OT thru the lens of the NT-- and when we do so we are following the example of the NT writers themselves, who break every rule of the historico-grammatical method we tend to feel so bound by. The NT makes heavy use of the OT-- but in distinctly Christian ways that seem to have been entirely turned upside down by the Christ-event. And Jesus himself gets the ball rolling, but frequently referencing the OT, but often as a preface to completely reinterpreting/ realigning our understanding ("you have heard it said...").

So my personal "red-letter" rubric is: the closer a text is (chronologically and otherwise) to the Christ-event, the more authoritative it can be understood to be. All of Scripture is the revelation of God, but Jesus is God himself-- the ultimate and distinctly authoritative revelation of God. So, while I believe the OT is "God's word", it is not as clear a revelation as Christ himself. So when there is a conflict-- as in the conquest passages-- we can lean on what we see in Jesus far more than the blurry image in the OT. As Luther said, "let clear passages illumine the unclear".

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
It doesn't look like that at all to me. It seems apparent to me that the NT authors, even the presumably less-educated/working class authors like Peter, were incredibly biblically literate. They seem to have a pretty substantial working knowledge of the OT-- the sort that is common in preliterate societies where large portions of sacred text is committed to memory.

I'm not sure how it is possible to tell that. The thing is not a "whole cloth", it is entirely possible that the epistles were written by multiple authors, that this particular section was cut-and-pasted in, and so on.

Anyway, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me - if the writer of that epistle knew about the detail of the OT characters and thought that they were indicative of the kind of thing that people of faith do, then he's wrong.

--------------------
arse

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
I'm rather amazed to find that I'm almost totally in agreement with cliffdweller on this point.

The huge difference is in what cliffdweller says here
quote:
I don't detect any sort of acknowledgement along those lines in what you've posted at all. What cliffdweller goes on to say is another point entirely. And it's all very different from saying
quote:
This just makes me wonder whether [parts of the] epistles were even written by someone familiar with the stories or just the fabled names of the characters.
quote:
quote:
Is it useful or relevant? If no, then I'd waste very little time on it.
Personally I'll be interested to see how that passage fits into cliffdweller's "red rubric".

quote:
Any more than I'd spend any time preaching through Numbers. Pointless.
Is that aimed at me? Because if it is, you're the one making this personal right now.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Although it's a term I've not encountered before, I took it to be that method of reading Scripture that prioritises the words of Christ (which, in some Bibles appear in red letters) and using those as the key to interpreting the rest of Scripture. Invariably, IME, that leads to a simple acceptance of the bits of the Bible that conform to the words of Christ (OT prophets talking about God loving merct and justice, for example) and largely ignoring or explaining away the rest. Ultimately, ISTM, it's a version of taking the plain reading of Scripture, in this case just using conformity to the recorded words of Jesus as the filter for what we read as the "plain meaning" and what we feel the need to interpret. Whereas, I would say we need to apply all the interpretive tools of context, linguistics etc to all of Scripture, including those words of Jesus which we would read plainly.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which, of course, assumes that Peter actually wrote the Petrine epistles that bear his name ...

[Biased]

Backing up a bit, this may be contentious but I've long been of the view that where you do get sound and sensible preaching in charismatic contexts it's generally where they draw from, or remain closer to, older traditions ... whether Wesleyan, Presbyterian or small r-reformed.

So, for instance, in the UK at least, and I'd imagine in the USA too, there was a strand of old-style Wesleyan expository preaching that persisted into Pentecostalism. Ok, it may not have been as rigorous as that found on the more Reformed side of the spectrum, but it was there.

I think what concerns me most is that the charismatic scene is steadily (or rapidly in some cases) losing its moorings and drifting off from aspects of the received tradition that are reflected more strongly in the older evangelical traditions.

Large swathes of the charismatic scene are sinking into a kind of sub-Christian spiritual self-help ya-ya land quagmire.

Sure, that doesn't mean that individual congregations or leaders have yet to be drawn down that particular plug-hole, but that's where the whole thing seems to be heading from my perspective. Give it a few years and a few generations and I suspect some of this stuff won't even be recognisably Christian in any meaningful sense.

Of course, the same can be said of the more radically liberal end of things - liberal Episcopalians getting into whoopy-loopy Earth Mother worship and so on and so forth.

There are some signs of hope but where the charismatic scene remains sane and healthy - or relatively sane and healthy - it's generally because they've got one or two feet placed firmly on the quayside rather than on a leaky ship sailing off out to sea on a tide of subjectivism, charismania and the quest for the 'next big thing.'

That isn't to say that the charismatic scene doesn't bring anything to the table and that it can only function if it has some kind of diver's breathing tube attached to the Grand Tradition ... well, actually, yes it is. I do maintain that.

The charismatic scene is only healthy to the extent that it retains some kind of rootedness in the received tradition or where it actively seeks out the older spiritual paths - however much it may adapt or reinterpret them.

Left to its own devices it puffs up and explodes or farts off into the ether like a released balloon.

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Cliffdweller, thanks - the term doesn't seem to have come up on this thread before. At first glance, I'd go along with much of that.
quote:
So my personal "red-letter" rubric is: the closer a text is (chronologically and otherwise) to the Christ-event, the more authoritative it can be understood to be.

So in your scheme of things do the epistles trump the Gospels, or not? [Two face]
quote:
So when there is a conflict-- as in the conquest passages-- we can lean on what we see in Jesus far more than the blurry image in the OT. As Luther said, "let clear passages illumine the unclear".
Yes, that's fair enough, and indeed that's what I did in my sermon on Numbers 30 that I linked to.

So out of interest, how do you deal with that bloody image in Revelation?

And practically, in terms of preaching, how does this "red rubric" affect your choice of material?

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Is that aimed at me? Because if it is, you're the one making this personal right now.

Eh? I'm so losing track of what you are saying and your consistent efforts to personalise what I'm saying (saying that such-and-such is patronising, suggesting that I must be referring to you when saying that I wouldn't preach on Numbers) and the way you characterise my argument 'I think their arguments went a bit beyond "well that bit's obviously stoopid"' that it is becoming increasingly difficult to engage with you in this discussion. On the one hand you seem to want to paint my argument as being patronising (but then when called you say that you are referring to some other unnamed people who make you feel patronised) and on the other you seem to want to take something which is fairly bland (preaching on Numbers) as referring personally to you.

I can only assume that it is something to do with the weather that means we are both saying things that the other takes as being personal.

If you've preached through Numbers, then that's obviously something you are entitled to do, but I wouldn't because I think it has very little to do with Jesus Christ in it and very little other useful and relevant content. But of course YMMV.

--------------------
arse

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

I'm not sure how it is possible to tell that. The thing is not a "whole cloth", it is entirely possible that the epistles were written by multiple authors, that this particular section was cut-and-pasted in, and so on.

Anyway, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me - if the writer of that epistle knew about the detail of the OT characters and thought that they were indicative of the kind of thing that people of faith do, then he's wrong.

Or that his point was something other than "these are great people whose example we should follow". The point of Heb. 11 is "faith is believing in things unseen." He author is detailing a long and very mixed list of people who illustrate that. He is not suggesting these people lived exemplary lives. That is one of the things we love about Scripture (both OT and NT)-- it does a pretty good job of depicting the central biblical characters as deeply flawed. As others have noted, that may be the point itself-- that "having faith in things unseen" is not dependent upon being a perfect person.

At the same time, though, I again think the author's use of the OT Is an example of what I'm talking about-- that the NT authors seemed to feel free to pull from the OT in ways that would cause you to flunk a course in OT exegesis in any institution, liberal or conservative. That may have something to do with genre-- the gospel and epistle writers were writing, well, gospels and epistles-- not exegetical papers. Or it may have something to do with inspiration. Or, again, with the purpose of the passage in question.

In any event, I do not feel that Heb. 11 means that I need to take Samson's, or even David's, life as exemplary.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
[qb]
quote:
Is it useful or relevant? If no, then I'd waste very little time on it.
Personally I'll be interested to see how that passage fits into cliffdweller's "red rubric".
This might be something that would fit better in kerygmania. The short answer would be if the Christ-event is the center point-- the clearest revelation (the act) of God-- then Revelation (the book) would be chronologically closer to Christ than any of the OT, but further than any of the rest of the NT.

The somewhat longer answer: theologically, the violent image seems to depart from Jesus' pacifist images-- but... despite a clear and unmistakable pacifist message, Jesus DOES occasionally use violent imagery. What to make of that?

The much longer answer that would need to be unpacked in a different thread: when Jesus uses violent imagery it seems to have something to do with "spiritual warfare"-- and I think this passage does as well. I think Walter Wink and Greg Boyd are helpful here, in understanding spiritual warfare in a way that is quite different from the demon-under-every-bed version we find in some Pentecostal communities (including my own at times). Revelation is clearly talking in eschatological terms-- as are Wink and Boyd-- about God's ultimate "setting right" of all the things that are "not right" about todays unjust world. A theme also closely related to the OT prophets and to Jesus' teachings.

But that's stuff for another discussion...

[ 30. August 2016, 16:36: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

Although it's a term I've not encountered before, I took it to be that method of reading Scripture that prioritises the words of Christ (which, in some Bibles appear in red letters) and using those as the key to interpreting the rest of Scripture. Invariably, IME, that leads to a simple acceptance of the bits of the Bible that conform to the words of Christ (OT prophets talking about God loving merct and justice, for example) and largely ignoring or explaining away the rest. Ultimately, ISTM, it's a version of taking the plain reading of Scripture, in this case just using conformity to the recorded words of Jesus as the filter for what we read as the "plain meaning" and what we feel the need to interpret. Whereas, I would say we need to apply all the interpretive tools of context, linguistics etc to all of Scripture, including those words of Jesus which we would read plainly.
I would agree (despite what I've said here about how the NT authors don't do this) in using all the interpretative tools of the historico-grammatical method in interpreting all of Scripture.

But, as others have noted, we do all have a canon-within-the-canon. We usually deny it, but it is true, and admitting it is the first step to being more consistent. And there are parts of Scripture, particularly the OT, that just flat out don't fit with Jesus' teachings, no matter how many interpretative tools we use. That's what we're talking about here. Add to that Jesus's sometimes explicit re-interpreting/realigning of OT Scripture ("you have heard it said...") and I think you have got a canon-within-the-canon. I'm suggesting that rather than leaving that implicit and unstated, we go ahead and get rid of the pretense that Christians (even 1st c Christians, apparently!) read the OT in the same way Jews do. That we confess and admit right out loud that we read the OT in the light of the words of Jesus.

Of course, that's much easier (professionally) for me to do in an anonymous online medium. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
I can only assume that it is something to do with the weather that means we are both saying things that the other takes as being personal.

Alright then, let's both take a deep breath and both try not to do that.

quote:
If you've preached through Numbers
As it happens I recently have, although not uninterruptedly and not completely exhaustively
quote:
I wouldn't because I think it has very little to do with Jesus Christ in it and very little other useful and relevant content.
As can be seen in the sermon I linked to, in that kind of series I will often link to Jesus' take on a relevant issue.

But rather than start with the 'red rubric' criteria, if I've understood them properly, the difference is that I'd take pretty much any biblical text as my starting point, even if I'm bound to use the kind of NT/'red' filter cliffdweller is talking about subsequently.

The reason I do this is firstly because as Martin has detected, I probably do have some notion of "all Scripture is inspired by God", but again along the lines I mention in my linked sermon rather than along inerrantist lines.

Secondly, I find that for me at least, this actually works. It puts me "under Scripture" in the sense that having chosen a book of the Bible for a series, I let it set my agenda.

This works well for me in the creative (preaching) process and I think it provides at least some degree of objectivity as opposed to just cherry-picking.

And from my perspective, it allows me to gain fresh and surprising insights that I would not get if I just stuck with the passages I deemed "worthwhile" by some self-imposed standard.

Of course I'm going to relate these back to Christ, but I find my picture of him is deeper and richer as a result of having to grapple with difficult texts such as Numbers 30. That can't happen if I simply look at a challenging passage and think "no, this obviously doesn't fit".

[ 30. August 2016, 16:48: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
In any event, I do not feel that Heb. 11 means that I need to take Samson's, or even David's, life as exemplary.

For light relief, I can note that I have a book on my shelves from a very conservative evangelical author who, by an exegetical tour de force, manages to make every single "hero of the faith" in Hebrews 11, including Jepthah and his vow, into a paragon of virtue...

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Cliffdweller, thanks - the term doesn't seem to have come up on this thread before. At first glance, I'd go along with much of that.
quote:
So my personal "red-letter" rubric is: the closer a text is (chronologically and otherwise) to the Christ-event, the more authoritative it can be understood to be.

So in your scheme of things do the epistles trump the Gospels, or not? [Two face]
Ah, harder to say, at least with the Pauline epistles-- which are chronologically closer to the Christ-event, but are not (with a few exceptions) the words of Jesus. So there it comes down to how accurate you think the gospels are in recording the words of Jesus. As an evangelical, I've got a high view of inspiration, which I think also fits with a scholarly understanding of the transmission of oral traditions in preliterate societies, so I'm going to say the gospel writers got it right. So, while chronologically they were written later than the epistles, if they are the authentic words and acts of Jesus they are "closer" to the Christ-event.

ymmv.

(then again, as an Open Theist, I really like Phil. 2...)

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Almost thou persuadest me. The sudden thought I have is that this is beginning to sound like the "rightly dividing the word of truth" so beloved of the (shudder) dispensationalists (who manage to consign, say, the two halves of some declarations of Jesus to two different dispensations to suit their hermeneutic...)

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

For light relief, I can note that I have a book on my shelves from a very conservative evangelical author who, by an exegetical tour de force, manages to make every single "hero of the faith" in Hebrews 11, including Jepthah and his vow, into a paragon of virtue...
sometimes my evangelical brethren make me go
[brick wall]

even as I am quite sure I often make my evangelical brethren go
[brick wall]

I often use that as an explanation of what it means to be a part of God's family.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Which, of course, assumes that Peter actually wrote the Petrine epistles that bear his name ...

[Biased]

Backing up a bit, this may be contentious but I've long been of the view that where you do get sound and sensible preaching in charismatic contexts it's generally where they draw from, or remain closer to, older traditions ... whether Wesleyan, Presbyterian or small r-reformed.

So, for instance, in the UK at least, and I'd imagine in the USA too, there was a strand of old-style Wesleyan expository preaching that persisted into Pentecostalism. Ok, it may not have been as rigorous as that found on the more Reformed side of the spectrum, but it was there.

I think what concerns me most is that the charismatic scene is steadily (or rapidly in some cases) losing its moorings and drifting off from aspects of the received tradition that are reflected more strongly in the older evangelical traditions.

Large swathes of the charismatic scene are sinking into a kind of sub-Christian spiritual self-help ya-ya land quagmire.

Sure, that doesn't mean that individual congregations or leaders have yet to be drawn down that particular plug-hole, but that's where the whole thing seems to be heading from my perspective. Give it a few years and a few generations and I suspect some of this stuff won't even be recognisably Christian in any meaningful sense.

I would agree with your assessment but not with your trajectory. It may be a cross-pond difference or even more specifically my particular context, but I see improvement in recent years, rather than decline. In recent years, I've seen charismatic and even Pentecostal preachers far more interested in our historic Christian roots-- not just the relatively recent Wesleyan and Reformed roots, but even (gasp) the previously unheard of Catholic and Orthodox spirituality. Sometimes it can be a bit amusing, when you see someone (including myself) teaching the Jesus prayer or the Ignatian prayer of examen as the "hot new thing"-- but at least it's happening.

Historically, when the Pentecostal movement began they were shut off from historic Christianity-- the older established churches were no more interested in talking with those crazy Penties than the Penties were talking to those "Pope-ists". So it's no wonder that Pentecostalism started going off the rails. The charismatic movement some 70 years later started to change that, when you saw charismatic experiences happening within those historic faith traditions. This led to greater ecumenical dialogue that included Pentecostals and charismatics-- a good thing for all concerned IMHO.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Almost thou persuadest me. The sudden thought I have is that this is beginning to sound like the "rightly dividing the word of truth" so beloved of the (shudder) dispensationalists (who manage to consign, say, the two halves of some declarations of Jesus to two different dispensations to suit their hermeneutic...)

Ugh. Good reason to add a heavy dose of caution.
Although I would suggest to the contrary that dispensationalism is what happens (as noted above) when you have a view of inerrancy that demands that all portions of Scripture need to be taken as equally authoritative. When you have to find some sort of exegetical gymnastics to make incompatible portions of Scripture compatible.

quote:

But rather than start with the 'red rubric' criteria, if I've understood them properly, the difference is that I'd take pretty much any biblical text as my starting point, even if I'm bound to use the kind of NT/'red' filter cliffdweller is talking about subsequently.

The reason I do this is firstly because as Martin has detected, I probably do have some notion of "all Scripture is inspired by God", but again along the lines I mention in my linked sermon rather than along inerrantist lines.

Secondly, I find that for me at least, this actually works. It puts me "under Scripture" in the sense that having chosen a book of the Bible for a series, I let it set my agenda.

This works well for me in the creative (preaching) process and I think it provides at least some degree of objectivity as opposed to just cherry-picking.

And from my perspective, it allows me to gain fresh and surprising insights that I would not get if I just stuck with the passages I deemed "worthwhile" by some self-imposed standard.

Of course I'm going to relate these back to Christ, but I find my picture of him is deeper and richer as a result of having to grapple with difficult texts such as Numbers 30. That can't happen if I simply look at a challenging passage and think "no, this obviously doesn't fit".

I would agree with that-- even as I recognize it's contrary to what I've said. The discipline of having to struggle with a passage that "doesn't fit" does sometimes yield amazing new insights. And sometimes even just sitting with a problematic passage creates opportunity for increased insight/illumination with time.

But, even as a temporal default, if I'm going to stand, I'm going to stand on the words of Jesus. (eeewww, that sounds like the lyrics of some horrid fundie Bible camp song...)

There's a bit of back-and-forth for me. I've come to more and more appreciate liturgical preaching, in part because of the way it covers the whole of Scripture and forces me to at least face those hard texts from time to time-- but also because it does give me three passages to chose to focus on. And because I'm not just preaching on whatever hits my fancy, I'm forced to approach it more prayerfully. And really, that's where it comes down to for me-- a humility in prayer as I ask God to speak thru me, knowing I can neither control nor predict if/when that might happen.

[ 30. August 2016, 17:12: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

That nearly answers my earlier question...
quote:
And practically, in terms of preaching, how does this "red rubric" affect your choice of material?
(I mean, how does your preaching programme actually get determined?)

[ 30. August 2016, 17:26: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
That nearly answers my earlier question...
quote:
(I mean, how does your preaching programme actually get determined?)
As with most evangelical churches, I am free to choose any text I like. As a matter of practice in recent years, we have chosen to use the lectionary as a default (with freedom to depart as the Spirit moves). With the lectionary, I'm free to chose the text I wish to preach on. So my recent practice has been to spend time praying and asking for the Spirit's leading, while simultaneously reading and studying/exegeting the three texts. Sometimes I will intertwine two or all three texts in a common theme, sometimes I will choose 1 to focus on and leave the others for a reading or call to worship.

Very much specific to my particular ecclesiastical setting, of course.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

On the basis, then, that the lectionary has at least a one in three chance of doing something of a "red rubric" preselection?

Does this mean that in practice you'd never preach on, say, Numbers 30?

(Genuinely curious here)

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
On the basis, then, that the lectionary has at least a one in three chance of doing something of a "red rubric" preselection?

Does this mean that in practice you'd never preach on, say, Numbers 30?

(Genuinely curious here)

Yeah, I realize I didn't really answer your question and tried to edit answer but too late.

How the "red rubric" fits-- not necessarily true that I'd only choose the gospel portion, but it does mean that if I'm preaching from the OT I'm going to do so "with NT eyes"-- i.e. what does this look like in light of Jesus?

The main reason I might not preach on Num. 30 is not the "red letter rubric" per se- if I felt free/brave enough I would preach on it as an opportunity to pull out the red-letter rubric and show how Jesus "shows us a better way". It would pair nicely with some of the "you have heard it said" passages in the Sermon on the Mount. In fact, I can remember preaching a few times on the conquest passages where I did a "red-letter lite" version of precisely that.

The main reason I might not preach on Num. 30 is more what was mentioned above-- that unpacking it would require some time, and a lot more dialogue, that the sermon format really allows for. Unpacking the "hard texts" is better suited to a small group or class format than for even the longer 20 min. evangelical sermon format.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In some ways I think you're right, Cliffdweller, insofar as there is a renewed interest in 'classic' spiritual disciplines and Patristicss and so on across the evangelical/charismatic spectrum - so, no, I don't think all is lost.

But I do think it's touch and go.

There are pockets of sanity and good practice. But the lure and siren-call of the Bethelites and other dodgy emphases is very strong and hard for many to resist.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus. You KNOW I regard you as a friend and brother and I took on board your secret mission statement ... but ...
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
it HAS to be done in LESS conciliatory tones.

I think that depends on your audience.

On their religious culture, yes. The vast majority of religious people are wedded to the myth of redemptive violence, of just war, Christians being far from the exception and in fact the worst offenders since becoming institutionalized by the state. Ones preaching audience is invariably Christian and one needs to start again with the beatitudes with them it seems. With the preaching of Christ. Before the church can subvert the state, it has to be subverted. It has been castrated. It seems we have to preach to them as if they were spiritual gentiles. And we have to start with ourselves.
quote:

Jesus wasn't exactly conciliatory with the religious leaders of his day; I would let rip most strongly in my circles against people who secretly harbour more "liberal" theology and keep up a "fundamentalist" stance in their preaching as being "good for the punters".

Didn't you wrestle with that reality over Numbers 31? Which is why it's so conciliatory? Why you're determined to find inspiration, fun, profit, doctrine, reproof, correction, instruction in righteousness from it? As Jesus did more so, playing VERY fast and loose, as deconstructed as He could be.
quote:

Jesus was conciliatory ("do not fear, little flock...") with those who were simply desperate for some reassurance from God, which is where I think most poeple are at. I can't stand preachers who do nothing but berate their hearers and exude supposedly superior knowledge.

Most people are desperate for reassurance that their loved ones aren't burning in hell. They don't get that. They get Allah at best. The little flock NOW as then is in need of deliverance from fear religion, from religion predicated on redemptive violence, institutionalized violence. Damnation and just war.
quote:

And philosophising on your own is not at all the same as having a responsibility before a congregation. Why do you think prophets are distinguished from pastors and teachers (or is that too "Iron Age" for you [Biased] )?

So we can't preach what Christ preached?
quote:

Again, I have no desire to tie a millstone round my neck.

What is the risk of that? How could that happen? How, by delivering little ones from fear and ignorance, from VIOLENCE, ... by preaching the gospel to the poor; ... by healing the brokenhearted, By proclaiming liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, By setting at liberty those who are oppressed; ...
quote:

quote:
Trying to square Bronze Age myth through Iron Age faith.
This is indeed where we part company. You might be historically correct, but the terminology you use implies inherent contemporary superiority (which, I would venture, is a terribly modernist outlook. What the 19th century mistakenly thought about its science you seem to be mistakenly applying to contemporary belief).

Paul was wrong. To make him right one has to look down the wrong end of the telescope and project 'spiritualization', a modernist Pollyana error, on to the Bronze and Iron Age subject matter. One has to make God pragmatic. To what degree? Especially in Numbers 31?
quote:

It implies (to my ears at least) "we know better now". I think that is hubris. We know differently, and taking due note of how other ages "knew" I think is an important part of self-understanding, an exercise in humility, and where a lot of contemporary thinking goes astray.

So Jonah didn't know better than Isaiah? Amos didn't know better than Jeremiah?
quote:

It's too easy to trip over some difficult stuff in the Bible, especially the OT, and simply dismiss it on the basis of a mental picture of man that's not far removed from the hominids at the beginning of 2001 - A Space Odyssey, rather than grapple with it.

That is grappling with it. We then have to grapple with that REALITY.
quote:

Just because they had, say, little scientific knowledge of cosmology doesn't mean their metaphysics was all wrong or badly thought out. I think that dismissing the latter on the grounds of the former is tempting - but fallacious.

Genocide as metaphysics. Hmmm.
quote:

quote:
Paul was WRONG. It can't be done. Rather Paul IS wrong. He was right for his time, he couldn't have been righter. It's MEANINGLESS for now.

It's ALL got to go mate.

Well that would have to include preaching, it would seem to me. If what you say is true, what can you preach on, on what authority, and for what purpose?

If it's all got to go, how do you rescue even Christ from the wreckage?

How is it that people have been managing to preach on the Bible ever since the days of the early church and at least some of their hearers have been finding it meaningful?

Aye, preaching with inadequate words about inadequate words is pretty meaningless. And worse. In reinforcing violence we shut up the kingdom of heaven.

Your four whats are answered by Jesus' first sermon above.

The Rescuer needs no rescue. He is ALL that's left. Tried by deconstructing fire and NOT found wanting. Even in, despite and BECAUSE of His full, weak, ignorant humanity. THE baby, still the most mysterious entity in the known universe, still with a caul, an umbilicus leading to, implying a very weird supernatural realm, survives the dumping of the bathwater. To suggest otherwise is on the same spectrum as YECs who say that if you deny YEC you deny Christ.

Meaning is in the ear of the hearer. The Spirit yearns with our spirit. The gospel IS preached despite very flawed preachers. Which is why I don't any more. It has always been thus.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
The vast majority of religious people are wedded to the myth of redemptive violence, of just war, Christians being far from the exception and in fact the worst offenders since becoming institutionalized by the state. Ones preaching audience is invariably Christian and one needs to start again with the beatitudes with them it seems.

I’m not sure about either of those generalisations. My preaching audience is a bunch of convicts as often as not. Some are Christians, but by no means invariably so.
quote:
It seems we have to preach to them as if they were spiritual gentiles.
I still think you’re confusing the roles of prophet and pastor/teacher. 1 Thes 5:14 says
quote:
warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
I once heard it said that too often we are patient with the idle and disruptive and warn the disheartened.
quote:
Before the church can subvert the state, it has to be subverted. It has been castrated.
I think I believe that it is the role of the Kingdom, not the church, to subvert the state. Where church has gone wrong is it becoming an institution; Disneyland instead of a service station. My preaching is largely directed at getting people seeking the Kingdom rather than building the Church.
quote:
quote:
Jesus wasn't exactly conciliatory with the religious leaders of his day; I would let rip most strongly in my circles against people who secretly harbour more "liberal" theology and keep up a "fundamentalist" stance in their preaching as being "good for the punters".

Didn't you wrestle with that reality over Numbers 31?
That’s a fair challenge. I think there’s a difference between legitimate holding back, either because of uncertainty on the part of the preacher or because as Barnabas62 put it the preacher judges it is “more than they can bear”, and out-and-out dishonesty. (A small example of this might be that I never ever refer to the Bible as the Word of God even if this is the preferred shorthand in my constituency).
quote:
So we can't preach what Christ preached?

I think there is a subtle but important difference between preaching about what Christ preached, or consistently with what he preached, and preaching what he preached as if we were him.
quote:
quote:
Again, I have no desire to tie a millstone round my neck.
What is the risk of that? How could that happen? How, by delivering little ones from fear and ignorance, from VIOLENCE, ... by preaching the gospel to the poor; ... by healing the brokenhearted, By proclaiming liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, By setting at liberty those who are oppressed; ...
Go back to my example of the guy who simply set out to disrupt his hearers' supposed (on his part) blind confidence in Scripture by pointing out the missing words in the Hebrew. I don’t think he was doing any of the above. He was projecting his own anger at being led astray onto hearers who were not in the least bit responsible. It was far more likely to break than amend a fundamentalist belief system. Preachers need to search their motives and consider the impact of their words.
quote:
Paul was wrong. To make him right one has to look down the wrong end of the telescope and project 'spiritualization', a modernist Pollyana error, on to the Bronze and Iron Age subject matter.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here. But if you decree Paul simply to be “wrong” (or wrong for today) I’m unsure as to the basis on which anyone can decree anything to be “right”.
quote:
So Jonah didn't know better than Isaiah? Amos didn't know better than Jeremiah?

Err, instinctive answer: no. Do you think they did? Why?
quote:
quote:
It's too easy to trip over some difficult stuff in the Bible, especially the OT, and simply dismiss it on the basis of a mental picture of man that's not far removed from the hominids at the beginning of 2001 - A Space Odyssey, rather than grapple with it.

That is grappling with it. We then have to grapple with that REALITY.
We have to grapple with people in a completely different culture and mindset, sure. But I think that we do our forebears down too much, we dismiss too easily. I may not subscribe to Von Daniken-like stories of the Babylonians having electric batteries, but when I see 12,500-year old artefacts like this or learn of the extent of the prehistoric trade routes I tend to think we give them too little credit.
quote:
Your four whats are answered by Jesus' first sermon above.

The Rescuer needs no rescue. He is ALL that's left. Tried by deconstructing fire and NOT found wanting. Even in, despite and BECAUSE of His full, weak, ignorant humanity. THE baby, still the most mysterious entity in the known universe, still with a caul, an umbilicus leading to, implying a very weird supernatural realm, survives the dumping of the bathwater. To suggest otherwise is on the same spectrum as YECs who say that if you deny YEC you deny Christ.

Ouch. But admittedly, I find it hard to see how you can be so sure that the words of Jesus are somehow right, intact, and valid, not culturally bound, incapable of being deconstructed by some more enlightened descendants of ours – when you are so sure the words of Paul aren’t.
quote:
The gospel IS preached despite very flawed preachers. Which is why I don't any more.
Err, what?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The gospel IS preached despite very flawed preachers.

On this I think we can all agree.

Someone who stands before a congregation and doesn't believe they are very flawed and doesn't believe that what they are doing isn't in some manner preaching the gospel has no right to be there.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Go back to my example of the guy who simply set out to disrupt his hearers' supposed (on his part) blind confidence in Scripture by pointing out the missing words in the Hebrew. I don’t think he was doing any of the above. He was projecting his own anger at being led astray onto hearers who were not in the least bit responsible. It was far more likely to break than amend a fundamentalist belief system. Preachers need to search their motives and consider the impact of their words.

This. I need to reread this every morning. I tell my interns I want them to get over the sometimes crippling fear of public speaking, but never the fear itself when it comes to preaching. We are undergoing an awesome (in the literal sense) task. I never want to take that lightly, I never want to enter into it anything other than prayerfully. Not that I always succeed to enter into it with a prayerful & humble heart, but I know when I have not, and am always filled with regret.

quote:

But admittedly, I find it hard to see how you can be so sure that the words of Jesus are somehow right, intact, and valid, not culturally bound, incapable of being deconstructed by some more enlightened descendants of ours – when you are so sure the words of Paul aren’t.

I would place myself in the middle of your position and Martin's. I'm certainly not going to be as blithe about dismissing Paul as Martin, and don't see any great conflict between Jesus and Paul. And yet, as described above, there is a difference. I could allow perhaps that the words of the gospel writers are just as culturally bound as Paul's, but to the extent they are correctly conveying the words of Jesus (and I believe they are), there is a difference. I believe Paul is speaking under the inspiration of the Spirit, that he was led and therefore his words are authoritative and true. I believe there is an eternal truth within the "historical particularity" of his cultural setting. But there is, for me, a difference between Jesus and Paul. Jesus is the source. Jesus is the "words of life". And again, I believe the closer you get to that source, the words of life, the ultimate revelation of God, the clearer you will be able to see and discern correctly the truth about God.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The common difficulty I see with Martin's approach, and to a lesser degree with your "red rubric" approach (for slightly different reasons), is that it seems to be broadly acknowledged that the epistles pre-date the Gospels, so as a minimum they were chronologically closer to Jesus, which is genuinely held to be A Good Thing in terms of authenticity/reliability.

And if the epistles do predate the Gospels, then it's a fair assumption that the Gospel writers were aware of and/or had access to the epistles.

Claiming "superior" or "more authentic" content for the content of the gospels over and above the epistles therefore seems to require a degree of special pleading.

It's my perception that in recent times Paul in particular has come "unglued" from the Gospels, rightly or wrongly, largely because of a whole herd of Dead Horse issues ranging from inerrancy to homosexuality. I'm not sure if these are a cause or an effect.

But I'm beginning to think this whole "Was Paul wrong?" debate deserves a separate thread.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
The common difficulty I see with Martin's approach, and to a lesser degree with your "red rubric" approach (for slightly different reasons), is that it seems to be broadly acknowledged that the epistles pre-date the Gospels, so as a minimum they were chronologically closer to Jesus, which is genuinely held to be A Good Thing in terms of authenticity/reliability.

I see this as an issue but not an overwhelming one. The gospels are - apparently - written from within the constituency that experienced the incarnation first hand. The epistles are largely written to communities away from this constituency.

Of course, it is a faith claim that where the gospels disagree with points in the epistles, we'll go with the gospel, thanks-very-much, but then it is also a faith position that all of it is as valid and useful as the rest.

In the absence of a strong understanding of tradition (wrt church history, liturgy and continuation of doctrine) - which we're largely discussing here from within the mindset of baptist/evangelicals - then we've got to make a faith decision one way or the other. And frankly I prefer cliffdweller's approach to the one where we have to make un-christlike segments of the text fit into the wider divine narrative.

quote:
And if the epistles do predate the Gospels, then it's a fair assumption that the Gospel writers were aware of and/or had access to the epistles.
Well I think in one sense you're arguing against yourself here. If you are saying that there is an observable difference between (some of) the thinking in the epistles and the gospels, then if the epistles were always considered to be as valid as the oral gospel tradition, then why don't the gospels look more like them?

It seems to me to be a fairly reasonable position that either a) the gospel writers didn't particularly rate (all or some of) the epistles or b) they were not familiar with them. The idea that they knew and liked the epistles may be true but I'm not sure how it is supported by the gospel text.

quote:
Claiming "superior" or "more authentic" content for the content of the gospels over and above the epistles therefore seems to require a degree of special pleading.[/qupte]

First, I'd say no, the gospels stand alone so need no special pleading. But I'd also say yes, ok maybe there is a form of special pleading, but then isn't there also special pleading needed to marry up the gospels with the epistles to form a coherent theological position? To me it makes a lot more logical sense to read the epistles in the light of the gospels than to try to argue that they're all the same really.

[quote]It's my perception that in recent times Paul in particular has come "unglued" from the Gospels, rightly or wrongly, largely because of a whole herd of Dead Horse issues ranging from inerrancy to homosexuality. I'm not sure if these are a cause or an effect.

But I'm beginning to think this whole "Was Paul wrong?" debate deserves a separate thread.

I think this "ungluing" was happening a long time before people started thinking about the dead horse issues, and around the time when people started examining the texts in detail and finding that they didn't actually match up very well in the way that they'd always been taught that they (the texts) should if they were in some way divine.

--------------------
arse

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

Claiming "superior" or "more authentic" content for the content of the gospels over and above the epistles therefore seems to require a degree of special pleading.

Again, the "red letter rubric" could be applied either way-- and has been by those who advocate it. My argument for gospels over Paul (to the extent you need such a rubric-- see below) is based on my belief that the gospel writers, while later than Paul, are providing an authentic record of what Jesus truly said & did. Which would make the gospels "closer to the Christ event" in terms of content if not chronology. Of course, if you don't share my assumption you're not going to share my conclusion.

quote:

It's my perception that in recent times Paul in particular has come "unglued" from the Gospels, rightly or wrongly, largely because of a whole herd of Dead Horse issues ranging from inerrancy to homosexuality. I'm not sure if these are a cause or an effect.

I agree. Although "inerrancy" (or attacks thereof) is probably a symptom, whereas dead horse issues like homosexuality and women's roles are probably the "cause" or the immediate pressing problem that pushes folks in that direction. And unnecessarily so, IMHO. I don't see a huge conflict between Paul and Jesus on these dead horse issues, once you take into account the fuller context of Paul's writing and the difference in genre between epistle and gospel.

But, as you said:

quote:
I'm beginning to think this whole "Was Paul wrong?" debate deserves a separate thread.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I think there is an entire thread on the relationship between the Epistles and the Gospels that is tnagential to the question of preaching on one or the other, or both. Give me a few minutes to harvest some quotes from the last few posts, and then I'll start a new thread in Kerygmania.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus

Generalisations, oooh I'm generally sure of mine [Smile] I realised when I wrote it that your context was going to be a bunch of convicts. Your little ones. Pastoral concern comes first, second and third I agree. But I fail to see the relevance. There is NO RISK. What do a bunch of convicts have to lose in being told that God is not Killer? Especially the non-Christians. That God is found as directly as possible in Jesus ALONE. He is present by His Spirit in our social evolution, our thinking, our story, our responses, including the 700 years worth of The Books, indirectly. The Christians - predominantly Roman Catholics I'd have thought? - certainly won't be movable in their denominational beliefs at all of course. So you probably have to play to that lowest common denominator. Hmmm. Never mind the theology, the orthodoxy; orthopraxis is the ultimate orthodoxy. Damn. I totally agree. Carry on that man.

Prophet, pastor, teacher ... see above.

We are the church is the kingdom, I thunder. But damn and BLAST man. See above.

Holding back. I can thunder against that too ... and then the still small voice of pastoral care whispers.

Preaching Christ. We ARE Him. We are the only arms and ears and mouths of Christ they will know in this life. We ARE His body. He has OBVIOUSLY given it ALL over to us.

Oh bugger, here we go.

Damnitman! Why do a bunch of criminals - which is all of us one way or another - need molly-coddling in violent religion, for God's sake?! Most of them AREN'T Christians. We mustn't offend the Christian minority who are marinated in violent religion? And by Christian we mean those that can go along with the creed even with fingers crossed.

Sigh. I know, I know. It's no use telling them. SHOW them. Have you seen the awesome Starred Up? Have they?

There is no projection of anger in the way offered in that. I know it's Hollywoodized (I watched it the second time with a Category B guard), but it's one of the best films I've ever seen.

Paul wrong, what's right? God in Christ. ONLY. Not His apologists. OOOOOOOOH!!! (John Clees' Gumby). Let's reverse it shall we. Paul is right, NOW. Numbers 31, the genocide of the Midianites (substitute any horror you can easily think of, especially in Judges), is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

How? Pollyana found something good in everything. There's NOTHING good in genocide. Ever.

Majors and minors. The God of the Book of Jonah, just a few decades on from the God of the Book of Isaiah is ... humane. Their editors mellowed by the Babylonian exile. By suffering.
2001. The difficult stuff in the OT didn't happen because humans weren't brilliant 13, 50 (when speech MAY have genetically evolved), 80 (or developed socially), 200,000 years ago. They were. It didn't happen because it's made up. And as with Jonah, it's irrelevant. Part of me would LIKE to believe it's true. But that is COMPLETELY irrelevant. As with Abraham under the Terebinth Trees at Mamre. As with Job. Which I HAVE to believe are not true. But their BEAUTY in their Bronze Age beastliness IS divine.
Jesus unbound. I'm too gnomic. I CONSTANTLY go on about Jesus' FULL humanity. His IGNORANCE. His words ARE culturally bound. Even His being tempted of the Devil is easily deconstructed as projection (not everything else is). And He breaks the bounds. Even while being killed by them. He believed the TaNaKh. In God the Killer. And He distanced Himself from Moses. He transcended the bounds ENOUGH, while He lived, even while He submitted to their lethal embrace in faith. As only God in the flesh could do.

Paul was a GREAT, none greater, man of his time wrestling as we do with the impact of the Incarnation. He is a giant upon whose shoulders we INEVITABLY see further.

No deconstruction in a thousand years of further intellectual development or a hundred thousand of actual evolution of 'better' brain can take away the proposition that is Jesus.

And I don't PREACH any more.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Again, the "red letter rubric" could be applied either way-- and has been by those who advocate it. My argument for gospels over Paul (to the extent you need such a rubric-- see below) is based on my belief that the gospel writers, while later than Paul, are providing an authentic record of what Jesus truly said & did. Which would make the gospels "closer to the Christ event" in terms of content if not chronology. Of course, if you don't share my assumption you're not going to share my conclusion.
It's not at all obvious to me that the Gospels preserve an accurate, unbiased record of the actual historical Jesus free from the embellishments and glosses of intervening oral tradition, and Paul's letters seem more concerned as a general rule with establishing how believers should gather and behave in community than with recording authentic memories of Jesus (whom, after all, Paul had never himself met). However, asking whether Paul or the Gospels offer a more unvarnished and accurate picture of the historical Jesus may also be something of a red herring. I do think the Gospels offer a more mature and fully-developed witness than Paul does to how the early Church came to understand Jesus -- which, for members of the 21st-century Church today, is probably a more appropriate criterion anyway.

[ 31. August 2016, 21:33: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
What do a bunch of convicts have to lose in being told that God is not Killer? Especially the non-Christians. That God is found as directly as possible in Jesus ALONE.

I certainly start with Jesus and don’t home in on God the Killer. I didn’t have the guts to preach Numbers 31 in jail. But to present the former, I have to find my peace with how to understand the latter, how and why it has come down to us in the canon.
quote:
Never mind the theology, the orthodoxy; orthopraxis is the ultimate orthodoxy. Damn. I totally agree.
If I’m understanding you correctly, yes, I think orthopraxis is probably the most important thing : incarnation.
quote:
Damnitman! Why do a bunch of criminals - which is all of us one way or another - need molly-coddling in violent religion, for God's sake?!
I don’t think handing someone a Bible is molly-coddling them in violent religion, and they really don’t seem to take it that way – that’s including those who actually read the thing through, a surprising number. Your agonising is one of an intellectual recovering from some form of fundamentalism. Most inmates I know - indeed most people I know of any stripe - just read the thing and latch onto the life of Jesus. They certainly don’t often take it as a book of genocide, or get bothered by that fact.
quote:
Let's reverse it shall we. Paul is right, NOW. Numbers 31, the genocide of the Midianites (substitute any horror you can easily think of, especially in Judges), is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
What about ‘these things were written for us as an example’ – which clearly refers to the mistakes Israel made as well as their achivements.
quote:
The God of the Book of Jonah, just a few decades on from the God of the Book of Isaiah is ... humane. Their editors mellowed by the Babylonian exile. By suffering.
That’s an interesting theory. Or maybe Isaiah was just a more self-important guy (‘here I am, Lord, send ME !’) than Jonah.
quote:
I CONSTANTLY go on about Jesus' FULL humanity. His IGNORANCE. His words ARE culturally bound. Even His being tempted of the Devil is easily deconstructed as projection (not everything else is).
I think you believe in the inspiration of deconstruction [Biased] . You can read it that way, but how can you be so sure you’re right ?
quote:
Paul was a GREAT, none greater, man of his time wrestling as we do with the impact of the Incarnation. He is a giant upon whose shoulders we INEVITABLY see further.

This bit of the discussion is now happening here (note to fausto also).

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Eutychus.

Starting and ENDING with Jesus is as good as it gets. Even though He DID home in on God the Killer and all sorts of awkward stuff. He single-handedly created Hell after all! And fulfilled PSA. As for preaching Numbers 31, you had the WISDOM not to go there. If you believe in God the Killer or not. I understand the Old Testament as the library of a unique culture that God interacted with more than any other, hopefully MINIMALLY as the numinous, transcendent, transpersonal attractor, Love. I see it glimpsed shining in the very dark.

We're the incarnation now. And THE Incarnation, no matter whether God is Killer or not, wasn't. He NEVER abused His power in context. He still said some very uncomfortable, threatening, violent things, and I don't just mean in parable: He was unbelievably insulting, racist, exclusive to the Syro-Phoenician woman by our (correct) politically correct criteria, to a beautiful outcome. He threatened the disciples with eternal annihilation if they denied Him. Evangelism is done in that light NOW.

This, to me, shows Him working with all of the materials to hand AND being inevitably limited by them in His thinking, despite transcending their bounds in spirit, according to his God nature. He was still tethered, to the TaNaKh, enculturated, Jewish, male. He distanced Himself from Moses, but how could He completely distance Himself from God the Killer as we now CAN.

I'm glad your little flock of little ones latch on to Jesus. But He comes with baggage. He comes with violent religion. Even His peerless non-violence in practice isn't matched by His words. I'm intrigued that they aren't bothered by God the Killer. There again I'm intrigued that most Christians AREN'T. I certainly wasn't for 40 years. They have no problem with gentle Jesus meek and mild being God the Killer on steroids either side of the Incarnation. I LOVED Him! As you say, it's just me, now [Smile]

As for the things written for our example, how was Numbers 31 a mistake in Biblical terms? How was it a mistake to Jesus? How was The Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, Exodus? Witch burning? Gay stoning? They are mistakes to US, because we stand on the greatest shoulders of ALL. His. He gives us THE bunk up. We see over the wall that He COULDN'T except in spirit.

I believe that deconstruction REVEALS inspiration. Of this I AM certain. Taking a 'plain reading', that God Himself changed as society evolved, that God got nicer and nicer then ever so much nicer as Jesus (still with a razor's edge) and returns to being Hell on wheels the second time around as He was ITCHING to do as Jesus, is not for me any more. I couldn't care less if I'm wrong.

If God is the bastard of the Bible, and I don't mean the One conceived out of wedlock, I do not want to know. I loved Him for 40 years. That's the job we do on ourselves. It's not our fault. Or His. I now love another.

--------------------
Love wins

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me the sermon has to be grounded in the big picture of the incarnation and the atonement.

Alongside that, there needs to be a varied diet (covering aspects from all parts of scripture) over the year.

We don't follow the lectionary but themes are important alongside the festival and seasons of the church. An emphasis on teaching "What kind of God?" is accompanied by application "So what?"

There's no rocket science in preaching as in anything to do with church. IME it's a matter of knowing your context, not being violent with the bible and making sure you pray as well as listen.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

However we cut it, though, whether we use a themed teaching series or pattern or use a lectionary, each presupposes that people are going to be around fairly regularly to get the benefit of that.

I'm not sure that can be guaranteed these days, if it ever could.

I'm not sure what the answer is to that one.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
However we cut it, though, whether we use a themed teaching series or pattern or use a lectionary, each presupposes that people are going to be around fairly regularly to get the benefit of that.

I'm not sure that can be guaranteed these days, if it ever could.

I'm not sure what the answer is to that one.

It means each sermon has to be a stand-alone. Already children's Sunday School curriculum is written that way. And it can certainly be done-- those of us who have been "pulpit supply" for a season have mastered it. But you lose all the context, all the particularity of place & community that is the whole advantage of the lectionary.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

It would take some quite considerable coordination to maintain continuity from week to week anyway. I'm preaching in just over a week, my sermon is largely written - in part because I need to know what I'm preaching to select suitable hymns and I want to confere with the organist on Sunday to make sure I'm not picking five hymns the congregation don't know.

I'll listen to Andrew preach on Sunday, but I'm very unlikely to completely re-write my sermon to follow-on with what he says. And, when the minister returns the week after that she won't have been at any of the previous three services, should we provide her with our notes so she can pick up common themes?

Though the context of the lectionary readings is important, it is much easier to make each sermon stand on it's own right.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Ok, you've got my wondering now, Cliffdweller - whether it's possible to have stand-alone sermons/material that can act independently, as it were, but also form part of a wider teaching series or part of a lectionary sequence.

But then, I'm not a preacher so it's a purely academic question from my point of view.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I think that's an ideal to strive for, although one could run into the danger of spending half one's time explaining what you said last week and how it links with where you're going to go this week.

Good TV soaps - sorry, "continuing dramas" - manage to do this quite well. Each episode must both stand alone and also form part of a bigger picture.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All Anglican preachers in my experience, and that's ALL, play safe. I don't blame them, their pay packets depend on it.

If I were not such a nice anglican preacher (I hate the word) I would flame you ... a few (including me until recently) are paid, albeit not specifically for preaching (which is why I hate the word 'preacher'), but countless preach because they are called to do so (whether by God or not is between them, God and human authorities) and do not recive a sou. That is certainly the case in the Tikanga Māori context in Aotearoa that I now attend.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Zappa. Thank God.

--------------------
Love wins

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Arguably a salaried Anglican minister's pay is far less dependent on the sermon content than a non-conformists. I imagine it is quite rare to get even a stern letter from a bishop over sermon content and, to pluck an example from nowhere, I doubt for instance that a sermon on radical pacifism would ever merit disciplinary proceedings, and there's no performance-related pay that I'm aware of.

On the other hand a disagreeable (or over-challenging) note from the pulpit of a non-conformist place could have an immediate impact on the collection that week.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I agree with mdijon. I know congregations that have been on "offering strike". And while it didn't bother me too much when I was salaried by my congegation, for about a decade, I'd never go back down that road, and this is one of the reaons why.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016