homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Serving the poor and saving the lost (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Serving the poor and saving the lost
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul managed both, in the Areopagus to get ideas being talked about (no altar calls there!) and again in the market place, as a tentmaker.

He worked. He preached with action. He lived a Kingdom life, he lived the good news. With workers and their customers.

CAP and Trussell are fine for those that cannot do anything more with their helpless privilege. The church should THUNDER against debt and materialism, save and serve the poor lost in it and be there as the ULTIMATE social service, picking up some of those that fall through the cracks, which it does. Being Pauline ... it doesn't. Holding ALL things in common ... it doesn't.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Overt evangelism is absolutely fine and to be commended.

I would be most interested to hear why you think this. On what basis do you evangelise? What is it that you say to people to try to achieve, presumably, their conversion to Christian belief?

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:
This is a general question about our motivation for offering help to others in need and then using that situation as an opportunity for evangelism. Do we have a responsibility to keep our voluntary work separate from explicit evangelism? Or do we have an obligation to God to do the two things hand-in-hand?

... But when we are showing God’s love by offering our time and skills to people in need, is it right to target those same people in such an explicit way? It makes me feel that our motivation for helping is not pure generosity, but a concern for building church numbers off the back of others’ misfortune.

... After all, Christ came to bring good news to the poor. If Christ is good news for me, shouldn’t I be keen to share His gospel with everyone under every circumstance, particularly those with debt problems?

This dilemma has been central to the last 30 years of my life as we worked with refugees and other immigrants from Asia. We accidentally planted a church (Mr. Lamb had specifically promised me not to do so just then, but woman proposes and God disposes). And most of those who joined came from the ranks of those we helped.

We were concerned from the beginning about the possibility of "rice Christians"--false conversions done to secure some advantage or simply to thank the do-gooder. And so to avoid that, we took several steps.

First, we made sure that all of our human care services were open to people of any or no faith, and we let that be known. There were people who doubted us from the beginning, but as time went on, the community saw that we meant what we said. Nobody received special treatment for converting. Nobody was left out in the cold for not doing so. The conversion rate settled down to what, 1 out of 10 maybe? that we helped. The other nine went away with good memories of us and the church, and a strong tendency to drop back in when they needed more help. Plus, they recommended us to all their friends, Christian or not, indifferently, and so we had even more people coming through the (emergency room) door.

We never made our faith a secret. We never hid the fact that we thought Jesus Christ was the best gift they could have from us (okay, from God), or that we rejoiced when people came to faith. And yet everybody knew that they kept their own agency and adulthood when we were helping them, and that they were free to disagree with us about God or basically anything else. And boy, did they.
[Snigger] We even had some people insult us throughout the community and then show up the next week to ask some major favor. [Roll Eyes] People, meh.
But based on that experience, I'd say that if you are straightforward and open about your faith, AND about the fact that you will serve them regardless of the position they take on Christianity--well, then, things will work out pretty well. Rather like the Salvation Army, I believe. No one takes them for secular activists, and yet plenty of people access their services with or without conversion.

Bottom line: If they know you are there and you care about them, they will come. Whether they come to Christ is between the Holy Spirit and them. You're just providing a meeting point.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done thou good and faithful servants.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
catnip
Apprentice
# 18638

- Posted      Profile for catnip   Email catnip   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Missed edit window - I meant to add that, though these projects are "social", it is evangelicals who are providing most of the impetus and personnel. I think this is because (a) the evangelicals are often strongly-motivated to "do stuff" and (b) their churches tend to be both larger and younger than many others.

I'm sorry. I beg to differ. Perhaps it is because those of us who are not so inclined to preach the word overtly don't call attention to our many outreach projects.
Posts: 17 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your experience may well be different to mine. All I can say is that, in our local context, the majority (but not all, by any means) of folk helping in the Night Shelter or the new Homeless Project or the Street Pastors seem to come from the more evangelical churches. That could simply be because those churches have more younger, active people in them.

It could well be that lots of Christians from other churches are helping in other projects and scenarios not specifically run by the churches - I wouldn't know. In any case, I suspect that the divisions between "mainline" and "evangelical" may be more pronounced in the US than in England.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:
This is a general question about our motivation for offering help to others in need and then using that situation as an opportunity for evangelism. Do we have a responsibility to keep our voluntary work separate from explicit evangelism? Or do we have an obligation to God to do the two things hand-in-hand?

... But when we are showing God’s love by offering our time and skills to people in need, is it right to target those same people in such an explicit way? It makes me feel that our motivation for helping is not pure generosity, but a concern for building church numbers off the back of others’ misfortune.

... After all, Christ came to bring good news to the poor. If Christ is good news for me, shouldn’t I be keen to share His gospel with everyone under every circumstance, particularly those with debt problems?

This dilemma has been central to the last 30 years of my life as we worked with refugees and other immigrants from Asia. We accidentally planted a church (Mr. Lamb had specifically promised me not to do so just then, but woman proposes and God disposes). And most of those who joined came from the ranks of those we helped.

We were concerned from the beginning about the possibility of "rice Christians"--false conversions done to secure some advantage or simply to thank the do-gooder. And so to avoid that, we took several steps.

First, we made sure that all of our human care services were open to people of any or no faith, and we let that be known. There were people who doubted us from the beginning, but as time went on, the community saw that we meant what we said. Nobody received special treatment for converting. Nobody was left out in the cold for not doing so. The conversion rate settled down to what, 1 out of 10 maybe? that we helped. The other nine went away with good memories of us and the church, and a strong tendency to drop back in when they needed more help. Plus, they recommended us to all their friends, Christian or not, indifferently, and so we had even more people coming through the (emergency room) door.

We never made our faith a secret. We never hid the fact that we thought Jesus Christ was the best gift they could have from us (okay, from God), or that we rejoiced when people came to faith. And yet everybody knew that they kept their own agency and adulthood when we were helping them, and that they were free to disagree with us about God or basically anything else. And boy, did they.
[Snigger] We even had some people insult us throughout the community and then show up the next week to ask some major favor. [Roll Eyes] People, meh.
But based on that experience, I'd say that if you are straightforward and open about your faith, AND about the fact that you will serve them regardless of the position they take on Christianity--well, then, things will work out pretty well. Rather like the Salvation Army, I believe. No one takes them for secular activists, and yet plenty of people access their services with or without conversion.

Bottom line: If they know you are there and you care about them, they will come. Whether they come to Christ is between the Holy Spirit and them. You're just providing a meeting point.

Two extremely excellent posts about this topic! [Overused]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Your experience may well be different to mine. All I can say is that, in our local context, the majority (but not all, by any means) of folk helping in the Night Shelter or the new Homeless Project or the Street Pastors seem to come from the more evangelical churches. That could simply be because those churches have more younger, active people in them.

It could well be that lots of Christians from other churches are helping in other projects and scenarios not specifically run by the churches - I wouldn't know. In any case, I suspect that the divisions between "mainline" and "evangelical" may be more pronounced in the US than in England.

Same throughout Leicestershire. Even Pentecostal Gipsies are involved. Bethel ... Baptists. Christadelphians. Not a liberal in sight!

--------------------
Love wins

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that we should always be open about our faith and ready to share the good news with people, but that is not the same thing as ambushing them when they are at their most vulnerable. It must always come within natural conversation, and show respect and consideration.

CAP is doing good work. There is no compulsion to convert, the service is provided for everyone. Sometimes lifestyles change because people have converted. What's wrong with that?

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:

CAP is doing good work. There is no compulsion to convert, the service is provided for everyone. Sometimes lifestyles change because people have converted. What's wrong with that?

It isn't about compulsion, it is about the whole way that the thing is framed - for those who run the debt service, for those looking to run a service and the materials given to people who are on courses.

I dispute that CAP is doing good work. They are very visible, but there are a whole lot of other organisations (particularly secular ones) who are quietly getting on with doing a much better job without foisting unnecessary bible study at every opportunity.

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Can the comparison be quantified?

--------------------
Love wins

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
It isn't about compulsion, it is about the whole way that the thing is framed - for those who run the debt service, for those looking to run a service and the materials given to people who are on courses.

I dispute that CAP is doing good work. They are very visible, but there are a whole lot of other organisations (particularly secular ones) who are quietly getting on with doing a much better job without foisting unnecessary bible study at every opportunity.

Their testimonies show that CAP is doing good work. They offer more than the practical debt advice, they offer someone who walks the walk with people until they are free of debt, and they offer help with the spiritual dimension of life too, if the invitation is accepted.

It is honestly framed.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is honestly framed.

I dispute this. The OP cites one of its core values as "saving the lost", and yet neither this nor indeed any of its core values, or any values at all, were to be found on its site last time I looked.

What is more, positive testimonies are not the only criterion for evaluating a ministry.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CAP is recognised by all the major financial organisations in the UK as being a group with integrity which delivers. That is not the case with some of the other groups in this field - some of them sponsored by the Government,

Having worked at Senior level in one of the Financial Institutions I mentioned above, I can tell you that the recognition of a "trusted partner is hard to get and easy to lose. CAP seems to have managed it - so its evangelistic values haven't done it that much harm in the eyes of the (very) hard bitten organisations who deal with it. Believe me, they can spot a group of chancers when they see them and, these days, bail out very quickly.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So how do you explain the disconnect between the values quoted in the OP and the complete lack of values on their website?

The charity may display financial integrity but still have an ulterior motive of converting people.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

They call themselves Christians Against Poverty. They say on the front page that they want to help people free themselves from debt and to share the good news with them. They are up front about it. They say clearly that they work with churches.

This doesn't indicate an ulterior motive to convert them, but a desire to share the good news with them about Christ as well as helping them with their debt problems. A small percentage of people do come to faith. They still help those who don't, and stay with them until they are free from debt.

I think that what they are doing is good.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Atlanta, GA and Seattle, WA and probably other cities in the U.S., there are Union Gospel Missions that help the teeming mobs of homeless folks that are everywhere. They feed people, provide emergency shelter, offer computer training, etc. All well and good, right? It would be if they fed the hungry without strings. In order to get ANY kind of food, the homeless have to attend church services. No church attendance, no food.

This, to me, is completely against what Jesus's life and mission were all about. As far as I know, Jesus didn't require hungry people to jump through hoops to get some bread.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
They call themselves Christians Against Poverty. They say on the front page that they want to help people free themselves from debt and to share the good news with them. They are up front about it. They say clearly that they work with churches.

Saying you work with a church is a long way from saying that one of your core values is to save the lost.

They say "we bring good news", not "we share the good news".

I think that is dog-whistle talk. It suggests to Christians, especially evangelical Christians, that they do evangelism, but to anyone whose primary preoccupation is a mountain of debt it means "we've got some good news for you about your debt". It is ambiguous and in my view deliberately so.

I continue to be disturbed by the complete absence of anything approaching a list of core values anywhere I can find on the site, whereas the OP quotes (from where?) a core value that unambiguously includes "saving the lost".

I don't know anything about CAP beyond what I've read here, but the lack of up-frontness about this value combined with my own experience of evangelistically-inclined Christians in social action adds up to a significant concern on my part.

It is not enough to say "they do good work". Some of the results may well be good, but as discussed on the recent thread on manipulation, transparency of purpose is an important part of integrity.

Having a desire to save the lost is perhaps not a bad thing, but being covert about it is, in my view.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
"By all means save some" That's fine so long as overt evangelism is not involved - or so it seems .....

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

We had a thread discussing this very verse a few years ago that I think has some relevance to this discussion. It's here.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I might use an illustration.

Imagine a church decides to set up a first-aid emergency service.

They decide to look for volunteers amongst their congregation and other churches and set up a training course for use by other churches.

Now, if you were to look at this training course and find that random bible verses were peppered throughout the course to more-or-less illustrate things about modern first aid practice, I think you might find that rather odd.

If that church told potential volunteers, and repeated throughout their training materials, that the purpose of the first aid service provision was to encourage conversions - and if there was a virtual/actual blackboard on their wall showing the reports of new Christians coming to the church from the course - then at very least one might be start to wonder how victims would be experiencing the service.

Even if the course did not specifically tell volunteers to use any opportunity to witness to injured road traffic victims, it wouldn't be something that would be out-of-keeping with the tenor and character of the way the church sees the world and how they've written the course and set up the service.

Now imagine that this church is not one promoting a theology that you agree with but instead is one promoting something you think is dangerous. That it is the Moonies, Scientologists, Satanists or whatever.

Then you might begin to see why this is a problem.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:

In Atlanta, GA and Seattle, WA and probably other cities in the U.S., there are Union Gospel Missions that help the teeming mobs of homeless folks that are everywhere. They feed people, provide emergency shelter, offer computer training, etc. All well and good, right? It would be if they fed the hungry without strings. In order to get ANY kind of food, the homeless have to attend church services. No church attendance, no food.

This, to me, is completely against what Jesus's life and mission were all about. As far as I know, Jesus didn't require hungry people to jump through hoops to get some bread.

And more than a whiff of Victorian-style moralising as per Orwell's Down and out in London and Paris.

But even this isn't on the same level as a service which is projecting itself as being for the whole community and which (to some extent) receives blessing from local and national government - if not actual funds from them.

One thing to be offering something from within your religious community. An individual can take or leave that. Another thing to be offering something which only those in-the-know are aware is actually seen as an opportunity to sell the church membership.

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You forgot to include every mandatory denominationally distinctive theology and broader ones affecting most including magical thinking, damnationism, all manner of excluding, gnostic, untransferable, esoteric, wooden weirdness.

Debt is a good one. It's part of the evil we create at the micro, personal level that has overwhelming, synergistic power. Debt in business is something else. People DO need deliverance from, saving from, debt. Buying anything on credit apart from a house, a new car (even then); paying interest, is insane.

A generously orthodox, open, inclusive mission for that, involving the use and deconstruction of spiritual language as I have done, would be good news.

--------------------
Love wins

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

Debt is a good one. It's part of the evil we create at the micro, personal level that has overwhelming, synergistic power. Debt in business is something else. People DO need deliverance from, saving from, debt. Buying anything on credit apart from a house, a new car (even then); paying interest, is insane.

A generously orthodox, open, inclusive mission for that, involving the use and deconstruction of spiritual language as I have done, would be good news.

Much as I'd like a movement which stood on a platform that debt was bad, that gambling, stock markets, and the lottery were evil and that those who dabbled in them were in need of deliverance, I'm not under any illusions as to the attractiveness of the message..

--------------------
arse

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'd like to go back in time and put ten grand on Leicester to win at every booky chain so that they'd go bankrupt and all become mine. I'd then turn them all in to charitable trusts with counsellors in each booky.

I dabble in most of those evils and owe no man a penny. Had a wonderful night out at Leicester races 7 years ago.

--------------------
Love wins

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Didn't he give them a sermon before giving them all those baskets of bread and fish? Didn't he say that we don't live by bread alone but also by the word of God? Didn't he tell us to feed the poor and to go forth and tell everyone about him?

I just don't see the good news of Christ's love for all of us as a string attached or a hoop to jump through. I think that information is actually more important and a greater gift than the food, clothing or financial help that's offered. Those are fleeting things that may not have the lasting benefit of an awareness of God's love for them. Who needs that more than a young man with rope burns on his neck?

My husband volunteers several days a week at the local churches-run, free store and food pantry. This year he did taxes for over a hundred people. His "boss," thinks he should pray with his clients before doing the taxes, but he's totally uncomfortable with that so he doesn't do it. His co-worker is a loving, warm Christian lady who prays openly and talks about Jesus, all the time and with everyone. After one of my husband's tax clients burst into tears because she didn't get the huge refund she expected -- he sat dumb founded, but his co-worker prayed with her and comforted her. I don't see either person as dispensing a more pure charity than the other. They are both giving the gifts they have to offer.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I dabble in lying too. I dabble in all. Not that I've gambled or bought a lottery ticket for years. And can't see that I ever would again. Unless we had a family day at the races, or one were invited to Escot. One Xmas a SIL bought us a bunch of lottery tickets and we rubbed away and won and kept buying more until we had nowt. It was cathartically funny.

I started saying that if the lottery got to over a hundred and twenty million, I'd buy a ticket. It did so I did. But God didn't want me to buy a brownfield site in inner Leicester for the poor to build a farm-commune. His loss!

--------------------
Love wins

catnip
Apprentice
# 18638

- Posted      Profile for catnip   Email catnip   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It may be that divisions here in the US are different. In the past I have heard that the Evangelicals are not much inclined toward ecumenical outreach, but that may have changed in the past decade. So, there are projects that particular churches organize and then there are projects that are a combined effort of churches in the community--either way, it is of value in assisting those in need in many and various ways. And that is, I think, the Christian calling across the board and no matter how we help others, it is good.
Posts: 17 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Saying you work with a church is a long way from saying that one of your core values is to save the lost.

They say "we bring good news", not "we share the good news".

I think that is dog-whistle talk. It suggests to Christians, especially evangelical Christians, that they do evangelism, but to anyone whose primary preoccupation is a mountain of debt it means "we've got some good news for you about your debt". It is ambiguous and in my view deliberately so.

I continue to be disturbed by the complete absence of anything approaching a list of core values anywhere I can find on the site, whereas the OP quotes (from where?) a core value that unambiguously includes "saving the lost".

I don't know anything about CAP beyond what I've read here, but the lack of up-frontness about this value combined with my own experience of evangelistically-inclined Christians in social action adds up to a significant concern on my part.

It is not enough to say "they do good work". Some of the results may well be good, but as discussed on the recent thread on manipulation, transparency of purpose is an important part of integrity.

Having a desire to save the lost is perhaps not a bad thing, but being covert about it is, in my view.

I really don't see any covert behaviour. They seem to want to help people both practically and spiritually. Some won't follow the debt advice. Some won't want to hear the good news of Christ. They will do what they can, no strings attached.

Telling people about Christ as well as helping them practically is surely taking the teaching of Jesus seriously, in the same way as he sent out the disciples.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

And more than a whiff of Victorian-style moralising as per Orwell's Down and out in London and Paris.

But even this isn't on the same level as a service which is projecting itself as being for the whole community and which (to some extent) receives blessing from local and national government - if not actual funds from them.

One thing to be offering something from within your religious community. An individual can take or leave that. Another thing to be offering something which only those in-the-know are aware is actually seen as an opportunity to sell the church membership.

But the recipients of charity aren't stupid, are they? They'll surely discover soon enough whether service providers are using the 'opportunity to sell church membership', covertly or otherwise.

With regard to the Union Gospel Missions, I wonder if they have competitors in the provision of care for the disadvantaged? In these resolutely non-Victorian times more moderate Christian and secular charities are ideally placed to step in and provide care with a completely different ethos - if they can raise the money to do so. It doesn't say much for the other charitable institutions if they've left the field to a group that most of the community only grudgingly accepts.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The mission center that I am involved in serves lunch every week day (no preaching), breakfast on Saturday (no preaching), a dinner on Thursday beginning with a Gospel reading, a short explanation of the story, and a compact Eucharist, all the worship part taking fifteen minutes. The Communion table is completely open, no one is pressured to partake. People who know the set-up may come in at 6 PM for food and bypass the service at 5:45. The vicar is completely friendly and welcoming to everyone without strings. But the gist is that most of us are doing this because Jesus taught us to love our neighbors. We may as well own up to that. And giving people the opportunity to hear about his love is part of what we do. Sometimes I get the feeling that some people living in a very secular culture are a bit embarrassed to let others in on their faith.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
I really don't see any covert behaviour. They seem to want to help people both practically and spiritually.

[brick wall]

As was pointed out on the thread on manipulation, motivation is not the same thing as transparency of purpose.

They probably do "want to help people", but the stated core value of "saving the lost" as reported by Humble Servant in the OP and referenced elsewhere (by critics) is not present on their main website.

They are not transparent about it.

I keep pointing this out and nobody seems to think that's in the slightest bit odd.

It.Isn't.There.

No.Value.Statements.Are.There.At.All.

Covert means
quote:
not openly acknowledged or displayed
Their behaviour is undeniably covert.

Why won't anybody acknowledge this?

[ 09. September 2016, 20:53: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

At the Charity Commission, CAP's activities are said to be as follows (emphasis mine)
quote:
Christians Against Poverty offers a free debt counselling service to individuals and families releasing them from the pressure of debt through a combination of advice, financial education, budgeting and insolvency services. operating through a network of local centres which are run in partnership with local churches, we aim to help anyone regardless of their religious beliefs
Its most recent Summary Information Return does not mention any "spiritual" activities at all.

If, as Humble Servant seems to be telling us, the charity is still advising its volunteers that one of its core values is to "save the lost", this does not sit well with its claim to help anyone regardless of their religious beliefs and is distinctly absent from the two most accessible documents that give any idea of its values.

Unless anybody can find any more accessible ones that I've missed.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
The mission center that I am involved in serves lunch every week day (no preaching), breakfast on Saturday (no preaching), a dinner on Thursday beginning with a Gospel reading, a short explanation of the story, and a compact Eucharist, all the worship part taking fifteen minutes. The Communion table is completely open, no one is pressured to partake. People who know the set-up may come in at 6 PM for food and bypass the service at 5:45. The vicar is completely friendly and welcoming to everyone without strings. But the gist is that most of us are doing this because Jesus taught us to love our neighbors. We may as well own up to that. And giving people the opportunity to hear about his love is part of what we do. Sometimes I get the feeling that some people living in a very secular culture are a bit embarrassed to let others in on their faith.

Yes, and sometimes I get the feeling they think that talking about Christianity is the same as saying other religions are bad or being bigoted in some way.

And there's the damned if we do damned if we don't (no pun intended,) of "shoving religion down peoples throat" if we talk about it or being covert and sneaky if we don't.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

As stated earlier, I think the litmus test for this on a personal level is whether you feel you have successfully completed your ministry effort even if you have not explicitly mentioned the Gospel; or is any social care you provide ultimately nothing more than a means to "saving the lost". Have you failed if you simply give a cup of water in the name of Jesus?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Yeah but that's you wildly extrapolating from Jesus saying that if you are minimally kind to a disciple because he's one, you get Brownie points in heaven. So Benny Hinn is the means of billions of brownie points.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

PS see the Kerg thread.

--------------------
Love wins

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Sometimes I get the feeling that some people living in a very secular culture are a bit embarrassed to let others in on their faith.

Oh yes!

When I look at how the Church deals with the Dead Horse issues I am very embarrassed. I never share the fact that I'm a Christian. If asked I ask what they mean by 'Christian', because I don't identify with what's likely to be their concept at all .

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
As stated earlier, I think the litmus test for this on a personal level is whether you feel you have successfully completed your ministry effort even if you have not explicitly mentioned the Gospel; or is any social care you provide ultimately nothing more than a means to "saving the lost". Have you failed if you simply give a cup of water in the name of Jesus?

If it is in the name of Jesus, it can't be wrong to mention the name of Jesus.

This doesn't imply that the prime motivation for the act is to convert the recipient, nor that a cup of water would be refused unless Jesus was acknowledged by the person who needed it.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bedtime, and I don't have time to read to the end.
But
Whatever we are doing in the line of compassion, forget evangelisation, the most important thing we can do is LISTEN.

As an example: One of my two churches – the one where I a on holiday – instigated weekly free dinners. Some of the parish folk pitched in to help. So did an increasing number of townsfolk; donations of food and continued practical help continue to maintain the project.
The minister _–alas, now moved on to other work – would eat with the diners. Some would move to sit with her. She listened to them, and they might ask her for a bible, or ask questions about faith. What she hoped was that parishioners would follow her example. But few did.
So the message is 'This is a place where people are fed. It happens to be a church.'
Which is good. But it could go further without pushing evangelism. If people befriended visitors beyond feeding them.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I saw another horrendous example last night. The head of 'Compassion Ministries' telling a sweet alcoholic Somali Muslim that we're going to pray to Jesus now.

Her biker backup tried to dominate me in to joining in with his little chat about Paul's prayer from Ephesians 1:15–23, but I - Jesus - decided to give Assad my full attention.

There are over 60 Somali alcoholics in Leicester who need a dedicated worker. At least the Islamic and Christian communities will unite in doing nothing about that.

--------------------
Love wins

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you been in touch with your MP? It's really the job of local social services to provide trained, professional staff without an agenda.

Yes, religious groups can do a lot of good (or bad) but in a supposedly post-Christian, pluralistic society I don't think they should be relied upon to provide a religiously neutral service.

The problem is exacerbated in places where there's been significant numerical and financial decline in the non-evangelistic churches; no doubt they try to 'serve the community', but without manpower and resources their neutral Christian ethos is unlikely to predominate in the situations where there's hard work to be done. I've seen this issue in my own city.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
... no doubt they try to 'serve the community', but without manpower and resources their neutral Christian ethos is unlikely to predominate in the situations where there's hard work to be done. I've seen this issue in my own city.

It's unlikely to inspire or energise anyone enough to do all the work.

There's another thread running at the moment about the canonisation of Mother Theresa. She certainly neither hid her faith under a bushel nor that it motivated what she was doing. For some, she seems to be a controversial figure, but when one looks at her critics, rather than moaning, which of them are actually doing anything for the sick, poor and homeless?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
If it is in the name of Jesus, it can't be wrong to mention the name of Jesus.

This doesn't imply that the prime motivation for the act is to convert the recipient, nor that a cup of water would be refused unless Jesus was acknowledged by the person who needed it.

Indeed not. But for about the millionth time, we are told that a core value of CAP is "saving the lost", which suggests a whole lot more than that: it suggests that an evangelistic agenda is central - and undeclared to the general public.

There is a world of difference between declaring yourself to be a Christian agency and having an agenda to convert people.

[ 10. September 2016, 10:30: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

There's another thread running at the moment about the canonisation of Mother Theresa. She certainly neither hid her faith under a bushel nor that it motivated what she was doing.

Mother Theresa's faith didn't motivate her work? That surprises me.

Perhaps what you mean is that the movement she founded wasn't driven by a concern for evangelism. Maybe not. Yet it attracted nuns, volunteers and funding from around the world. Unfortunately, the social venture started by your local non-evangelistic Methodist church is unlikely to have any similar appeal or impact!

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The lost' have been mentioned quite a lot in this thread, so I wonder if CAP and members here have a specific definition of this phrase?

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
'The lost' have been mentioned quite a lot in this thread, so I wonder if CAP and members here have a specific definition of this phrase?

Do no send to know whom they mean - they mean you Susan! [Razz]
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

There's another thread running at the moment about the canonisation of Mother Theresa. She certainly neither hid her faith under a bushel nor that it motivated what she was doing.

Mother Theresa's faith didn't motivate her work? That surprises me.

Perhaps what you mean is that the movement she founded wasn't driven by a concern for evangelism. Maybe not. Yet it attracted nuns, volunteers and funding from around the world. Unfortunately, the social venture started by your local non-evangelistic Methodist church is unlikely to have any similar appeal or impact!

SvitlanaV2, Enoch said it DID.

She certainly neither hid her faith under a bushel nor that it motivated what she was doing.

=

She certainly neither hid that her faith motivated what she was doing nor [hid it] under a bushel.

--------------------
Love wins

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

I see 'saving the lost' as another way of saying 'sharing the good news of Jesus'. Again, while it may be a core value, it does not imply coercion nor conditionality of service, rather a desire to share.

'The lost' would cover anyone in a spiritual desert due to a lack of knowing which way to turn. Jesus shows us the way.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

There is nothing to share verbally apart from caring discourse. I listened to Assad last night and he loved it. He didn't get Ephesians 1:15–23 being read, despite it being read three times on the trot because it meant so much to the leader. I have to deconstruct it for it to mean anything to me too. How he was supposed to get anything from that written prayer in early Christian Jewish aspic to ancient Greeks I don't know.

There is nothing to sign up to. A weekly DIY concert interrupted by a lecture?

We've got NOTHING anyone wants or needs apart from the ears, hands, eyes, feet, pockets of Jesus.

Unfortunately that doesn't come with community. Islam does. And Hinduism and Sikhism. Here in Britain. We won't hold all things in common. We don't want to serve and save the poor that much. Otherwise we would.

--------------------
Love wins

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:

But the recipients of charity aren't stupid, are they?

Yes, in many cases, they are. I wouldn't use such a harsh word, but failure to recognize that many people in poverty have very low IQ's means failure to serve them as well as we can. It's why my husband does their taxes for them. It's why people who say, "I see job opportunities in the paper all the time, why can't they work at Walmart?" are not being realistic. It's why it's cruel to make people apply for SSDI (social security disability insurance) three times before the application is seriously considered. It's also why a casual poll on the street last Christmas found that a huge number of people didn't know the season had anything to do with Jesus.

I know the dread of being like the patronizing, Victorian Lady Bountiful looms large with charity workers, it's mentioned all the time in conversations like this, but pretending that the average person in poverty only lacks a college scholarship to achieve middle class is naďve. Many of them were born with alcohol or drug problems and many of them failed to get good nutrition while their brains were growing. One in three little West Virginia girls is sexually abused while growing up, that can permanently stunt mental growth.

It's a mistake to believe that because we grew up in stable Christian homes, learning the basics of the religion in Sunday School, that they did, too. We can't just assume anyone is going to think, he gave me free food, he must be a Christian, Christianity must be a good thing.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016