homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » On the possibility of belief in God (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: On the possibility of belief in God
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No prophets flag and Raptor Eye

Thank you for your replies.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

I don't believe in a "God of the gaps'.

I believe in a God, without whom, nothing would exist and there would be no science to investigate. I believe in a God who started the whole caboodle off and sustains it all. Not by controlling anything - s/he gave the whole of creation total freedom to evolve - but by simply being.

Can you, or would you have a go at trhying to, examine your belief in a detached, unbiased way do you think? That is, if you go back, step by step, through all the steps
which had to take place to put the idea and then belief of God in your mind? Every one of those steps will be taken because of words and actions of other human beings. Whether they were interpreting words or actions to you as being God's and explaining their association with God (i.e. the Christian one), or or not, the fact is that all the words and ideas you have of god come from other people. If you had been born into a family and culture of Islam, with no knowledge of what Christians believe, the extremely strong likelihood is that you too would have Islamic beliefs.

I don't think Christian/Muslim/Sikh/Hindu Gods need to be differentiated from God.

To me, we all worship what we know of God (the elephant idea). None of us have a true or whole picture. We have scraps - tiny scraps - of the infinite.

It isn't especially about beliefs or knowledge, either. It's about relationship and how we let that relationship affect us spiritually. My relationship with God is poor, meagre and very, very tenuous. But it's still there, just. I get glimpses of that which is far beyond me. That which seems to be still there when all is hopeless and lonely. I call this 'God'. It may not ne - but it needs a name so 'God is the name I use.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
boogie

gthank you for your, as always, interesting post.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016