homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Back to the garden (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Back to the garden
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daughter Erin and her husband moved into a house a mile away from us two and a half years ago.
The previous owners were our age and keen gardeners. The borders were over full of beautiful plants.
Erin has no interest in her garden and her husband has an insect phobia so we have been tending this beautiful garden as we can't bear to watch it go wild.
Today I bought 2 garden gnomes which I will place in the borders . I wonder how long it will take them to be spotted.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
something has eaten the roots of my violas! [Frown] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I was out when it did that, and missed it. Or it missed me! We found it lurking in the light lee of hedges and walls close by the local church. None in my garden though, nor evidence of plants being hit by it.

I was not in a position to check details yesterday - but two cucumbers had been knocked over, only two leaves more than the seed leaves, so rather fragile. There was some strange damage to the fruiting tomato, though the leaves would have protected the fruit, but I'm not sure it was not voracious gastropods at the leaves. I've moved it. Clumps of geraniums have been flattened, though rain could do that. Seedlings in trays from the garden centre have survived well, and the alliums were under a cover, anyway. The peas look a bit depressed.

[ 26. June 2016, 14:30: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the rain has made my lawn a lovely green. But it now needs mowing. Again.

I seem to have spent a lot of this weekend clipping hedges. I've got a privet hedge in the front garden and I haven't really mastered the privet technique - it always takes me much longer than my next door neighbour to trim an identical hedge. Along one long side of the back garden I've planted a blackthorn hedge which has now reached the stage where I can trim it with hand-shears. Up to now I've been shaping it with secateurs which really takes forever and a day. Next year the machine trimmer!

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The local cherry garden has lost quite a lot of fruit to the hail. It was quite a widespread event, apparently.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
something has eaten the roots of my violas! [Frown] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

I've found out what it was - vine weevils!

I've ordered some stuff to eradicate them.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gnomes now in place in daughter Erin's back garden. Red hat is near to the house, in a semi obscured position. Yellow hat is on the othe side of the garden, well hidden until you are halfway down. Now to wait...

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am starting to have high hopes for my garden this summer. Beloved Goddaughter is at the teen stage of sighing and rolling her eyes at me BUT she is skint and wants new clothes and I am willing to pay her to help me in the garden. So long as I am paying her she is pleasant and chatty AND the garden is getting weeded and trimmed. I can no longer take her to a cafe for a hot chocolate as she is too embarrassed to be see with me in public, but today for the cost of a trip to a cafe we cut the grass and weeded two flowerbeds. I think this is a win/win situation. [Smile]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amid our 100 day growing season. We now have lettuce and kale. Small but very nice. The beets and carrot tops are about 4" high. Tomatoes are flowering. The cherry tree has little cherries starting to form. An early year for us. Last frost was in April, usually it is at the end of May.

But the really exiting news is the burr oak I planted from an acorn brought from Winnipeg 5 years ago to honour my mother's death 6 years ago (as of end of July) actually looks like a tree this year. It is now almost 6 feet tall and loads of wee little acorns. It could have babies! -- oaks are rare as can be here as we are in Zone 1b to 2a (means winter temps of around -45°C (-50°F) are usual for a while in winter.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I am starting to have high hopes for my garden this summer. Beloved Goddaughter is at the teen stage of sighing and rolling her eyes at me BUT she is skint and wants new clothes and I am willing to pay her to help me in the garden. So long as I am paying her she is pleasant and chatty AND the garden is getting weeded and trimmed. I can no longer take her to a cafe for a hot chocolate as she is too embarrassed to be see with me in public, but today for the cost of a trip to a cafe we cut the grass and weeded two flowerbeds. I think this is a win/win situation. [Smile]

[Killing me] Okay, now I know what to do about my son, maybe! (embarrassing them is fun)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need a new hedge trimmer. The problem is, I'm not very strong and I rapidly get tired lifting a heavy machine. Can anyone advise me on what's best to buy?

I have a privet hedge at the front of the house and a rather lovely (but long!) blackthorn hedge down one side of the back garden. Both need regular trimming.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year, for the first time, I have tried growing tomatoes in my porch. I planted three; two Gardener's Delight and one Beefmaster. Previously we grew tomatoes in the greenhouse, but the greenhouse was badly damaged in a storm and we removed it last year.

The plants have grown vigorously and rapidly and are now all over 5ft 6in; the tallest is over 6ft. BUT, so far I have four flowers, and a number of tiny buds. Why are they taking so long to fruit? I don't recall our greenhouse tomato plants being quite so vigorous; but they cropped well.

If I'm patient does this bode well for a bumper crop in September?

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like they're over-fertilized (can't remember which nutrient in excess produces tons of leaves and no fruit). Consider no more fertilizing but otherwise keep on as you're doing. If you've simply planted them in a paradisiacal spot (by their reckoning!) you may be stuck.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I'm not fertilising them. I was going to start giving them tomato food once the tomatoes started appearing. They're planted in my own compost, whereas in previous years they've been in gro-bags.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

In pure compost? Because you may have some mighty good stuff there.

--------------------

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
I need a new hedge trimmer. The problem is, I'm not very strong and I rapidly get tired lifting a heavy machine. Can anyone advise me on what's best to buy?

I have until recently, when we moved to a house with hedges on all sides, always used shears! But I have recently bought this cordless machine which seems very light and is easy to use.

[ 06. July 2016, 12:15: Message edited by: geroff ]

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, massive slug attack this year, even eating stuff like onions and cavalo nero, which I have never seen them eat. Probably because of all the rain, so I'm hoping that fine weather at the moment will give us some respite.

Anybody an expert on Jerusalem artichokes, as ours have not appeared this year? Maybe I need to dig them all up and replant.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hedge trimmers - I have a fairly light Bosch one, weighs 2.5 kg, which isn't too bad. Also cheap, about £40, compared with some.

AHS 45-16 (Amazon have it).

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Gnomes now in place in daughter Erin's back garden. Red hat is near to the house, in a semi obscured position. Yellow hat is on the othe side of the garden, well hidden until you are halfway down. Now to wait...

Neither gnome has been spotted.
We mowed her lawn and weeded and dead headed and moved those gnomes around.
Yellow hat is now in the front garden in a more obvious position.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

Thanks for the hedge trimmer recommendations, very helpful.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I'm not fertilising them. I was going to start giving them tomato food once the tomatoes started appearing. They're planted in my own compost, whereas in previous years they've been in gro-bags.

It still could be an excess nitrogen issue, depending on the contents of the compost pile. (That's as far as my plant biology knowledge goes- nitrogen promotes leaf and stem growth). Mine won't set flowers if it gets too hot, but I suspect that it rarely reaches those temps where you are.

My zinnias are finally beginning to open. I have a garden box in which I have arranged a carpet of zinnias around a tomato plant and a few basil plants. In a few weeks, it should be stunning.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I understand you can buy fertilizers specifically designed to push flowers/fruit rather than leaves. Might be worth a try. I think your tomatoes are having TOO good a time!

ETA the best performing vine I knew was growing between the cracks in the concrete surround of a chlorinated pool. Can't get much more adverse than that.

[ 07. July 2016, 23:51: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

The compost heap is mostly kitchen waste; peelings, egg shells, tea leaves, plus the inside of toilet rolls to add a bit of air space, and some garden waste. Also, given the interest the neighbour's cat takes in it, I suspect mouse droppings. We have two compost bins; we use one, then let it compost down while we fill the second. We have a separate green cone for cooked food waste. And we use coffee grounds to deter snails (not very successfully) so they don't go in the compost.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

Gnomes have been spotted. Daughter Erin is most amused and asked if they'd always been there.
Satisfied! End of topic.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Waitrose supermarkets now offer free coffee, which has led them to acquire a lot of coffee grounds. At first, they sent these to anaerobic digester, but then hit on the wheeze of offering them to gardeners for composting or slug deterring. Except that, in their magazine, printed in grey ink up the page close to the spine, so it was hard to find, even when directed that there was something linked to an asterisk, they had the warning that regulations meant that the grounds could not be used to deal with pests. (Possibly post Brexit that won't apply.)

I turn up with a bag, and check the bin. It is usually empty. One day, the partner emptied the coffee machine in front of me, and took the grounds directly to the bin, instead of the usual process of putting it behind the counter. I took my coffee, went to the bin, and found it empty again. I told the partner, because this seemed funny, and they gave me the entire bag from behind the counter!

I now suspect that someone living close by is watching through a telescope and rushes over when they see something put in - I have only ever seen one other person taking the grounds. Very odd. I operate on the principle of leaving enough for others.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you live in the US Starbucks will also give you coffee grounds for garden use.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just came in from feeding/watering my orchids. My left hand fingers felt something sticky. There was a leech on a finger! Gross.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erk! Not my favourite creatures. At Wollombi out in the bush we could see them after heavy rain, just wriggling on the ground. When we lived in bushy area on Sydney's North Shore, we had a big garden with lots of shrubs, trees and leaf litter. I looked down after rainwhile I was standing on front covered porch which was up a dozen stairs. There was one on the tiles. I read they can sense a difference of 0.001 degrees in temperature and move towards the heat as that means food.

Judy, if it bit you, clean it well and take care. ExMr L used to get leech bites infected in an hour or so after the time the sucker latched on.

[ 09. July 2016, 22:27: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank goodness it didn't attach. Double gross. It was just lying limply on my finger. One good flick, and it was gone. I feel like my watering can should be lifted with heavy garden gloves from now on!

[tangent] We have swales at the sides of our roads that fill up in monsoon rains. Kids love to splash and play in them. There are many, many leeches in that water. [Paranoid] [/tangent]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to information found in a children's book by E.Nesbit, put salt on a leech and it will unplug itself from you. But I won't be looking for a leech to establish that this works.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well known fact down here, Jacobsen.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is the day for dead-heading my climbing rose. Long handled shears required. Also trying to corral it onto trellisses and above the sitting room window rather than across it. I may be gone some time.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

After considerable dead-heading and chopping, and half a bin of rose bits, I got close enough to the house wall to put up trellisses. Even managed to train the longest stem over the living room window. Should now have more light. Also two small vases of blossom from the recalcitrant stems which wanted to head for the street and drew blood. There is still a lot of self-willed climber, but the effect is much neater. Well, relatively.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sure you had heavy gardening gloves!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I may be gone some time.

[Snigger]

Yes, I made a foray into the wilderness of passionflower vines. You know these can grow up to fifteen feet long? And self-seed themselves every three inches all over our border?

We could have anything hiding in there.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I am sure you had heavy gardening gloves!

What I needed was full body armour - those thorns are vicious. In fact, if I hadn't removed some of the longest shoots it would have been impossible to reach the house wall and erect the trellis. But - 'tis done.

And I trimmed the front hedge. Using manual shears, no less. Have just ordered cordless ones - once was enough.

LC - could I have some of your spares? I love passion flower vines.

[ 12. July 2016, 19:17: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Heheheheh--PM me an address, and I'll send you some seeds. Toss them over your shoulder into a sunny area you desire never to see again, and by next summer you'll have your wish.

--------------------

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

quote:
What I needed was full body armour - those thorns are vicious.
You have my sympathy! We used to live in a slightly dodgy part of London. Following an incident in the street, I acted on the advice of the local police crime prevention officer ("plant something prickly") and put in a climbing rose against the back wall of the garden. It worked a treat - none of the local tearaways EVER came over our wall again - but once a year I had to prune it. Not a task to be undertaken lightly.

I hope you indulged in suitable refreshment after the battle.

--------------------

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

quote:
quote:
The vegetable bed is ready, any real risk of frost is gone and a nice drop of rain is forecast for tomorrow night. So it's decision time. Courgettes or runner beans? I haven't got space to grow both……….

What to do???

Both.In the same space/ pot(s). Only one will survive, and it will be exciting to find out which. Or, as courgettes spread, and beans grow up their tripods, maybe both would survive. A win-win situation.
Update report: the courgettes are winning. Two got eaten by snails but the four survivors are looking good and I saw the first flower today. The beans are pathetic. Only half of them even attempted to sprout, and the three that have sprouted are about 6 inches high. By now they ought to be up at the top of their poles.

My neighbour's beans are doing badly this year, too. It's been dark and cool.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The beans are pathetic. Only half of them even attempted to sprout, and the three that have sprouted are about 6 inches high. By now they ought to be up at the top of their poles.

My neighbour's beans are doing badly this year, too. It's been dark and cool.

Us too. We're having general veg problems, with pak choi (usually slug-proof) nibbled to the roots, holey lettuce and stunted tomatoes. Despite the temptation, woman can live on strawberry alone.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

Yes my tomatoes are stunted, too. But the raspberries and the leeks are thriving - almost they might be in Scotland and Wales…….
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

My beans are rampaging, but the pots which are in greater shade, not so much. I know, move the pots into the sun! Once I've recovered from my post climbing rose battle wounds....

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It is not true about coffee grounds deterring slugs and snails. I have lost a courgette surrounded with them.

I have spent the early morning pruning the Albertine over the gateway, and tearing down the Virginia creeper, again. The latter goes in the compost, the former to the dump.

I have upset my back by moving a potato bag from the access to the upper part of the garden. Its leaf growth is flourishing.

Not so the beans and the peas.

I have cut back the forsythia from the path, and removed a lot of the lysimachia I brought in because it reminded me of my childhood garden. That was on chalk hillwash, and it grew sparsely. Here it is on clay, and it loves it.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Have moved the pots. Planted the clayey border under the living room window with lavendar, adding compost and plant food. It does get the morning sun, so we shall see.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the next day or so I'm trying to ignore the allotment where I'm having the same problems as everyone else, apart from the raspberries which are giving a good harvest. Instead I'm giving the back garden a bit of a tidy up to allow builders somewhere to put scaffolding when they come to replace the roof in about a week. It's too early to give it a proper tidy up because the perennials are still flowering - that will be next month now.

I'm trying to propagate a lovely rose by sticking cuttings in a potato before planting it in a pot. Maybe I'll get potatoes as well as a new rose. I have no idea how the rose will turn out because I believe it's grafted, so that could be an interesting surprise next year. I hope it's not far from the parent plant in the front garden because it is prolific and has a lovely scent - just what I need in the back garden.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Anybody an expert on Jerusalem artichokes, as ours have not appeared this year? Maybe I need to dig them all up and replant.

Wow I'm impressed. I'm no expert, but I have yet to find a way to get rid of them.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Globe artichokes seem to produce more and smaller globes, then nothing worth eating as they run out of steam. The RHS agrees with me, to my surprise, as my knowledge comes from growing up with them and begrudging spending money on buying globe artichokes to eat when they were not in short supply when I was younger.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Globe artichokes seem to produce more and smaller globes, then nothing worth eating as they run out of steam.

Phew - I'll leave them to it!
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I managed to get out and heavily water everything early this morning, but my back has complained about it. Also stuck a lot of fridge detritus in the compost bin.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

This morning I dug up some spuds that survived blight - possibly one or two more than I planted. I also picked all the black currants and red currants (not a huge harvest due to enthusiastic pruning, I think) and some more raspberries. I'm continuing the battle against bindweed and brambles (at least the latter has fruit). I'll pop down to the allotment later to water when it's a little bit cooler.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016