homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » U! G! L! Y! I don't need no alibi! (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: U! G! L! Y! I don't need no alibi!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think many people might be thinking of Maggie Thatcher.

Maggies have a lot of personality (and you can't ignore a Maggie) but it isn't always likeable.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of ho-hum names, can you imagine any whirligig of fashion that will ever bring back Mildred? Muriel? Agatha? Bertha? Deirdre? Edith? Ivy? Nesta? Shirley? Tracy? Ursula?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Talking of ho-hum names, can you imagine any whirligig of fashion that will ever bring back Mildred? Muriel? Agatha? Bertha? Deirdre? Edith? Ivy? Nesta? Shirley? Tracy? Ursula?

It's already happening. I know a couple of young Ediths (one of whom is a relative), and also a couple of Ivys who are 2 and under. The fashion for 'old' names has been going for a while for boys (hence lots of Alfies, Charlies, etc) but it seems to be catching on for girls too.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I have a running joke in the story about some jerk who keeps calling Aggie Agatha, despite several people correcting him.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Names go in and out of fashion in a chartable way -- there are websites devoted to tracking their ups and downs. George was becoming less common, until the Duchess of Cambridge put her hand in. Every woman you meet who is named Madison is about 30 years old today, because she was named after Madison the mermaid in the movie Splash.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Every woman you meet who is named Madison . . . .

I've never met one, and I **do** get out. I had no idea Madison was a woman's name until you mentioned it.

[ 03. October 2016, 15:27: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The daughter of one of my coworkers is named Madison. She's in grade school. Once a name becomes a name it stays one, even if it's not as popular any more.

When I was named Nicole, there were no other Nicoles around. Then one of the president's daughters named her daughter Nicole and there was an explosion of the name. For awhile it was one of the most popular girls names going. But all much younger than me. I've only met one Nicole in my age range.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Likewise it's no secret that my real name is Alex. When I was in school, there were only two other Alexes in the entire school. Nowadays there's one on every corner, it seems.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RE: Names. My niece and her husband are expecting. They are running a contest. Whoever submits the craziest name for their baby, gets to decide from three selections for what the baby will wear home from the hospital. Of course, the baby's real name has already been selected, and it's quite nice. I was looking over the submissions and noticed an omission. Had no one thought of Elvis??

RE: Appearance. Two days before my appointment to have my photo ID made in graduate school, I fell down a flight of stairs. I was fine, but I had a real shiner of a black eye. So for a year, my school ID showed a slightly dazed woman with hippy-curly hair and a black eye. Caused a few questions at the library check-out and various other places.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You'd think, if fame was a guarantee, the place would be coming down in Elvises.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the moment late Victorian and 1920s names are undergoing a revival. Boys are being called Archie, Alfie and Stanley, but I don't think Frank and Trevor have been revived as names yet. Girls are Olive, Florence, Matilda, and Amelia, but no sign yet of Hilda, Cora, Norma or Mildred.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a slow cycle to this kind of thing. Putting aside the people who name the kids after a parent or grandparent, parents tend to pick names that sound new to them. Thus children do not get the mom or dad's name, nor the grandparents' -- those sound 'old'. But the great-grand or further on back, those sound more fresh.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents named me thinking it was an unusual name, and I ended in a small private school class of about 14 girls, with three of us with the same name. I think it was due to a Deanna Durbin film about the time we were born.

The Oxford Dictionary of First Names says that it is never common, but there are always a few about.

[ 03. October 2016, 19:56: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am very careful with naming. When my second child was born I was in a semiprivate room with a new mother. She announced that her baby was to have the most original name she could imagine: Matthew. A veteran of preschools, I knew that Matthew was one of the most popular baby names of that period, and the poor kid would have a number or initial appended to distinguish him from the five other Matthews in his class. But I kept my big mouth shut, since she had already filled out the papers.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Which reminds me of the What to Say when some pucker-faced, squalling thing is proffered for your admiration. My SiL was an unprepossessing newborn and apparently her mother got a lot of My! That is a baby!
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I am, at best, mousy and plain. And I'm fat. And I have frizzy, unmanageable hair going grey. And I'm 54. *sigh* I have come to accept my general unattractiveness. Preach it, sisters!

Bzzzt! I saw your hair in a ship-meet photo and it was glorious, like Cher's in "Moonstruck."

Tsk, already the fibbing to try and join our club.

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
. . .I knew that Matthew was one of the most popular baby names of that period, and the poor kid would have a number or initial appended to distinguish him from the five other Matthews in his class.

When I was born, that name was Kevin. My parents almost named me Kevin.

Instead I got my given name, which is rare enough that I've never met another. I don't think my mother ever completely stopped worrying about that choice; she used to ask me every now and again if I really liked my name. (I do.)

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw Twilight, that's the nicest thing anyone has said about me in ages! [Axe murder]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
Had no one thought of Elvis??

Seeing as this is sort of a churchy site, how about Sinbad? Sinbadia if it's a girl.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is thread about ugly-shaming or baby-naming?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coulda fooled me.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm getting the feeling that you haven't read the OP.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm getting the feeling you haven't read any of the posts on this page.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

A small tangent evolved as a result of people drifting from " reclaiming the ugly" to
"What is an ugly (ish) name". I'm sure the Hosts will step in if they feel the need.

I n any case, this was meant to be fun, and if you don't find it so, why not find something that suits you? Life is too short to bother with lame threads you don't like.

Or even OOOOGLAY threads.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He just wants to be in the ooooggglyyy incrowd.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Too pretty. Much too pretty. [Biased]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chop his tail off.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

… and the past few posts have been decidedly un-pretty. Please remember this is Heaven, and if you really want to get ugly, Hell is that way. Thank you.

Ariel (Heaven Host)

[ 05. October 2016, 07:09: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yes, miss. Sorry about that.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

(squeal of tires and the smell of burnt rubber, as topic is wrenched violently back onto the main highway)

Here is a free Guardian article about why the ugly and the fat may be politically important this year.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have long thought that ugly, fat, and other nasty evaluations of people disappear very quickly when the person is happy and shares their joy.

I spoke to one of in-laws recently who went off to a 40 year highschool graduation reunion (I avoid these things myself). The observations were that all the really popular and hunky jock-men were now fat and bald, married to ugly women with bad teeth. And that the women who were popular and "babes" were the ugly women with bad teeth. That all of the quiet, slightly awkward nerdy types were all doing great and looked great. Their inner beauty had shone through the sidelining of 4 decades ago. Which all made me think that there is a God who rewards those who wait.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I spoke to one of in-laws recently who went off to a 40 year highschool graduation reunion (I avoid these things myself). The observations were that all the really popular and hunky jock-men were now fat and bald, married to ugly women with bad teeth. And that the women who were popular and "babes" were the ugly women with bad teeth. That all of the quiet, slightly awkward nerdy types were all doing great and looked great.

That was my observation exactly at my 50th high school reunion.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Hmmm. How about fat - albeit with passable teeth - and sort of semi radiant?

But I think I would avoid any such reunion, were such to come my way. In fact, the only one I've ever been to was a half dozen of us 10 years post postgrad. At that point in my life I had hair hennaed orange - not red, orange. And I practically lived in a pink boiler suit. So I don't think I was going for conventionally pretty at that point.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a saying that when you're twenty, you have the face nature gave you. When you're forty, you have the face you gave yourself.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The problem with that idea is, it bolsters the attitudes of people who evaluate people's worth by their physical appearance. If you decide that the way a person looks is an indication of their spiritual state or their karma, that gives more power to the people who want to be the definers of attractiveness.

So like I said, " But you are not ugly!" Is the wrong answer in this situation. As per the article Brenda posted, the answer is, if someone excludes most people from the definition of beauty, they will find themselves outnumbered by the ugly folk. And if the ugly folk decide they like it that way, the excluder is in trouble.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

We have some stellar examples, just recently, of people who judge others by the most shallow and superficial of criteria. Donald Trump is giving sexists, weightists and ageists a bad name.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh, this is egregious. The guidelines for the church worship team urge you not to be fat.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad he mentioned shoes with white soles twice because, man, no Christian should ever wear shoes with white soles.
[Confused]

The line where we're told that "people look up to the music ministers," and they need to remember that they aren't just representing Christ but Pastor" says it all. We know who is being worshipped in that church.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the comment BTL about having rules for God to manifest in that church.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
no Christian should ever wear shoes with white soles.

Certainly not between Labor Day and Memorial Day.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Maggie sure isn't adorable for some of us in the UK.

I blame George Elliot in Mill on the Floss for that.

Jengie

Oh, high five! The only book I have ever thrown across the room upon finishing!

(Posted by a woman not overweight, but ridiculously hirsute, still dealing with acne at 40, and possessed of a serious case of bitchy resting face and a nose that looks acceptable from precisely zero angles. Can I join?)

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I love you.
(collects self) That would be a yes.

[ 07. October 2016, 03:53: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I look around me at the people I see outside of work, they are all older and by definition physically imperfect. But who cares? They are all wonderful in so many ways.

You want an imperishable babe, chaps? Get a blow-up doll.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but even then there are always sharp, pointy objects around the house. [Devil]

One time an idiot young woman came up to me on a beach and told me I looked like a beached whale. Yes, she actually said it. Believe it or not she really thought she'd be encouraging me to lose weight by saying that because then she spoke of the fifty pounds that she had lost. Dare I mention that she was still a pretty chubby mess herself by media standards?

Moments like that are when I wish Americans were more like Brits in the reserved temperament department.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I trust that you had a super=sized iced drink in your hand, to fling onto her.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

"Look who's calling the kettle black. You're still a pretty chubby mess yourself!" would have had the same effect as a tossed chilled drink, although the latter would have been quicker.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

Moments like that are when I wish Americans were more like Brits in the reserved temperament department.

Nothing to do with her Americanicity/ness/whatever. For somebody to do that in my circles requires very nearly either a major mental disorder or quite a few drinks.

I'll leave it to you to guess which she had.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe I mumbled "Whatever", and rolled over to cook the other side.

I don't think she was drunk, but she was definitely off-kilter.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

A certain relative of mine told me my husband would leave me if I didn't lose weight.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016