homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Upright pianos (this is not a moral judgement!) What to do with them?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Upright pianos (this is not a moral judgement!) What to do with them?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a 1905 Heinzman upright piano. Scrollwork in the wood. Ivory keys. The sound board is signed and dated by the person who made it. It sounds great. It has been in my mother's family for 3 generations. Beautiful. And it is totally worthless.

Don't think of selling one of these, you can't give them away.

Costs of move them are high. You have to hire a piano mover. We paid $200, 25 years ago to have this one moved.

So when we expire or move off to assisted living, I guess it is garbage and firewood time for it. [Frown]
Unless there are better ideas. One the link above, the radio program interviewed a piano mover who said he strips the pianos for what he can, and he has some 20 of these in working condition. No-one wants them. Unless there are better ideas of what to do with them.

[ 04. October 2016, 19:04: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The family piano went this summer during house clearance. It hadn't been tuned in my lifetime, but that didn't stop me playing it as a child.

I remember sitting there aged about six in my grandmother's parlour, with sheet music I couldn't read, desperately wanting to know how to play this thing. It had ivory keys, and real candleholders either side of the music stand. They don't make pianos like that any more.

It will have gone to the tip. The ivory keys meant it couldn't be sold, even if it was in working condition. Years of damp had ruined it, muted its voice. But it was part of the furniture and in that way that you do, you look at these things with a kind of double vision, seeing it simultaneously as it is and as you knew it in the past in better days. I learnt to play it, and practise on it, in the days when it could carry a melody.

If I ever get my own place I'm having a piano. I know if it's modern it will probably be plastic, and it won't have any candleholders, or any of my family history attached to it. I'm hoping that someone, somewhere, might by then have a piano they don't want, with yellowing keys and a bit of antiquity to it.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do not despair. Go onto Craigslist, if such a thing exists in your area, and offer it up for giveaway. Also, if your neighborhood has a local blog or some such, put it up. Someone may take it off your hands. These things are free, and so if they do not work out you haven't lost a thing.
An elderly friend of mine is moving for health reasons to California, and had to get rid of her piano. She will not have space in her new digs for such a large item even if she could afford to drag it across the country. I warned her that selling it was probably not in the cards. But she found a neighbor who was willing to take it for free, and have it put in order, so that the kiddies could learn to play.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just thinking. If there are so many unwanted upright pianos, maybe if I collected them and hired a small crane, I could make "Piano Henge", sort of musical version of this thing (Car Henge).

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought they were coming back into fashion (on this side of the Atlantic). At least so I heard a couple of years ago. Perhaps that's peaked and gone.
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
The ivory keys meant it couldn't be sold, even if it was in working condition.

Not necessarily. If it's pre 1947, ivory is OK.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of them seem to be worth a bit, and it seems to be a a good make
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have an 1895 Steinway upright that was given to us by the local Baptists, God bless 'em, when we were looking for something for LL to practice on. It's done very well for that and for making random visiting pianists salivate and desert the party for the rest of the night. [Razz]

I think the best chance of "getting rid" of a working piano is to contact schools, churches, etc. in poorer communities and offer the thing to any family who cares to pick it up. The schools and churches probably have more pianos than they need; but their students are going home to practice (if at all) on little electronic keyboards. So make sure it's the families that hear about it (note in the school newspaper, perhaps)?

The cost of moving may indeed be a barrier for some families, so if you really want to sweeten the deal, offer to cover that cost (or throw in a certain amount towards it). That way you don't have to imagine Grandma's piano going straight to the dump.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I should be clear that I have no plans to dump our piano right now. I hope to pass it on to one of the children. I don't play as often as I might, and consider the CBC piece I linked as a prompt. Piano was a great mental health break and stress reducer when I was younger. My wife would ask if I had "it" out of my system, and my mother before her. Both selection of piece and how much I pounded. (We won't discuss singing along.)

I would note that the prairie experience is that all churches have pianos, and usually a second one in the hall. As churches close, they try to find homes for them. Summer camps, schools are also deadends for donations. Everyone wants an electric something that sounds like everything.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my church closed several years ago, one of the members paid to send one of the pianos to a church in the Caribbean.

A local church might have any contacts abroad who would appreciate such a gift, and fundraising events could be held to pay for the shipping.

[ 04. October 2016, 22:27: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A theatre company might want it.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
When my church closed several years ago, one of the members paid to send one of the pianos to a church in the Caribbean.

A local church might have any contacts abroad who would appreciate such a gift, and fundraising events could be held to pay for the shipping.

I like that idea, and I would take part in a whip-round if our church did it. On the other hand, if they were disposing of a harmonium, I would also contribute to the cost of moving it, but only on the condition that a certificate of proof of total destruction be issued in return.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

You still have to have "provenance" to be able to sell it. There was no documentation or any way of proving how old the piano was.

(Only my memory of a now lost family photograph of my mother standing beside it. I have the impression it was on a social evening in the 1940s, though the piano may well have been in the family longer than that. And that is no proof at all.)

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The downside of an upright piano is the size and weight. However, for piano students who reach a fairly advanced level, at some point you need to move from an electric piano to a “real” piano. The touch and tone aren’t the same (according to my husband the music teacher). They aren’t completely useless.

My father-in-law, retired concert pianist, has a Pleyel upright. It will go to the dump over my dead body.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was given a free upright piano by the local university. They even moved it in for me and tuned it. I love having it there. It sits in the dining room, beside my electric piano, and I think I tend to use both interchangeably. (The real advantage is for when two people want to play something together, of course.)

My piano is not a nice one. It's one that students practiced on, until it was considered unsuitable for that. But it stays in tune (as well as can be expected), and to some extent it doesn't matter how perfect it is. I still have people to sing round the piano — it helps that most of my friends are musicians in some capacity.

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love my piano and would go to my grave eventually still playing it - it's a shame you can't take it with you.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

You still have to have "provenance" to be able to sell it. There was no documentation or any way of proving how old the piano was.
Were any pianos with ivory keys made after 1947?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of Giles Coren's programmes about the last century had the family breaking a piano up with a sledgehammer.

It was the worst thing they did, beyond all the things that weren't right for the period. The mother refused at first, but eventually joined in. And it was a good one.

DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would do THIS with one!

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Were any pianos with ivory keys made after 1947?

I don't know but the internet suggests that by then plastic had mostly replaced them.
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if you aren't going to play it, you could use it for something else.

Uses for old pianos.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I read some years back that you can avoid slippery plastic keys with some faux ivory thing. Expensive but proably worth it. Plastic keys don't deal with sweat and oils from hands well. The feel is very different.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right now, I have two pianos in my home. My grand, which is what I play all the time, and my spinet Wurlitzer, which is going to my Granddaughter's home as soon as I can get either the money to have movers move it, or enough muscle from young friends of my kids to haul it up myself. I figure I could buy her something in her city for less than I can move this one, but she loves her Mimi's piano, and will always choose to play it over the grand when she comes to visit.

Even though it isn't as large as an upright, it sure seems to weigh almost as much. And you're right, no prophet, ivory keys feel much different than plastic!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't the BBC's team competition "It's a Knockout" from around the 1970s feature a piano smashing competition? The teams used to have to smash up a piano and post all the pieces through a small slot about a foot square.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How could they do that with the metal frame?

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Didn't the BBC's team competition "It's a Knockout" from around the 1970s feature a piano smashing competition? The teams used to have to smash up a piano and post all the pieces through a small slot about a foot square.

This would cause me physical pain to watch! Like crucifying an innocent Jesus. Please tell me it was a disco themed show. I could take watching Disco Jesus get crucified.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid it wasn't ... it was an allegedly "comedic" competition between two teams from different towns. Tastes have changed, but it seemed humorous at the time.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On the other hand, if they were disposing of a harmonium, I would also contribute to the cost of moving it, but only on the condition that a certificate of proof of total destruction be issued in return.
Ohhh - you've no soul! I nailed a harmonium to my trailer (! - OK, I exaggerate, but not by much) and drove it here from Essex. Then I fixed the bellows, got all the reeds sounding, and unstuck (for the first of many times) all the sticky keys. What a sound! My kids will take 'Tell me the old old story', 'will your anchor hold', 'trust and obey' etc with them into the 21st century.

The local RCs have a pianola which is bust and unwanted. There's a really tempting lump of massively (and massive) futile obsolescence - the kind of thing which really turns me on. Perhaps I could put it in our (small, and only) kitchen [Smile]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible to hook it up to the engine of your car, so that as you drive with it (on the trailer) there is sound?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:
On the other hand, if they were disposing of a harmonium, I would also contribute to the cost of moving it, but only on the condition that a certificate of proof of total destruction be issued in return.
Ohhh - you've no soul! I nailed a harmonium to my trailer (! - OK, I exaggerate, but not by much) and drove it here from Essex. Then I fixed the bellows, got all the reeds sounding, and unstuck (for the first of many times) all the sticky keys. What a sound! My kids will take 'Tell me the old old story', 'will your anchor hold', 'trust and obey' etc with them into the 21st century.

The local RCs have a pianola which is bust and unwanted. There's a really tempting lump of massively (and massive) futile obsolescence - the kind of thing which really turns me on. Perhaps I could put it in our (small, and only) kitchen [Smile]

But does it have the rolls?
Our Congregational Church had a sort of relation of a pianola - the mechanism had 'fingers' which projected from it, and could be arranged to sit over the keys of the piano. We had to put books or something under it, as it wasn't the right height for the upright, and have people holding it firm at each end while someone pedalled away at it. I think someone hadn't known what to do with it, so donated it...
I seem to recall that some of the rolls actually record the playing of particular pianists, so they may not be as futile as they seem, if they are the only way to hear what someone before the time of the phonograph sounded like.

[ 06. October 2016, 20:12: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that a Welte-Mignon Vorsetzer, by any chance? Great pianists of the day did indeed cut rolls for it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Including, IIRC, Chopin playing his own works.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We own a small Chinese upright which we bought cheaply when a Gospel Hall closed down a few years ago.

(Not all Gospel Halls approved of instruments in the past, and there was one worthy from a meeting with no piano who, when speaking at a meeting which had one, referred disparagingly to "our wooden brother in the corner").

We tried to sell it when we moved house a year ago, but couldn't even get anyone to take it way for nothing, so held onto it.

In our new town they keep a battered, brightly painted old upright at the municipal library, and haul it out into the courtyard in good weather for anyone to play.

There was a young woman bashing out some Chopin on it the other day, and it was BLOODY MAGNIFICENT!

This stream of consciousness is giving rise to an extremely marginally relevant Tangent Alert:

Does anyone know what the classical piece was which the Nazi officer played on the piano which he came across while clearing out the ghetto in Schindler's List?

[ 07. October 2016, 10:14: Message edited by: Kaplan Corday ]

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is very hard not to suck in one's teeth and wince when hearing of musical instruments being unable to find a new home. I believe one of the problems a while back was that all pianos had to be tuned up a semi-tone or something and some jjust could not be done. I am so glad I spent most of my life with a piano and music.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I believe one of the problems a while back was that all pianos had to be tuned up a semi-tone or something and some just could not be done.

It was that dratted European Union, wasn't it? The Eurocrats got their fingers into everything.

[ 07. October 2016, 13:11: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read about and seen lots of public places where pianos are set up for any passerby to play -- from a child trying to bang out "Chopsticks" to accomplished musicians. This summer I enjoyed a lovely recital at Heathrow -- the young man was probably in his mid-teens. He was applauded by all of us waiting at the gate.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Oh yes - St Pancras and Marylebone (railway stations in London) both have public pianos which anyone can sit and play.

I have my doubts about ordinary members of the public playing the St Pancras pianos, though, because almost every time I've passed by, someone seems to be sitting there without any music playing a faultless, very well-polished piece entirely from memory that attracts an audience listening in appreciation and recording it on their phones. Occasionally there have even been duets and someone accompanying the pianist with a different musical instrument.

I've wondered if the players are musicians or students (ages do range from about 12 to 60 though) as it's actually quite rare to see someone sit down and fumble with the keys, pick out "Chopsticks" with one finger, screw it up, look embarrassed, etc.

I have to say it has brightened up St Pancras a lot to have these impromptu live piano recitals as you walk past, and if you have the time to sit at a table at one of the wine bars and sip a glass as you enjoy the performance, that's good too.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I believe one of the problems a while back was that all pianos had to be tuned up a semi-tone or something and some jjust could not be done.

Just label it a piano in B and call it good.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
Does anyone know what the classical piece was which the Nazi officer played on the piano which he came across while clearing out the ghetto in Schindler's List?

According to the internets it is this.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I used to go to conventions with a three-ring binder of piano scores, so that I could practice on any piano available. Alas, vision problems have made this more problematic.

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure of its precise harmotological status, but the practice in some churches of perching on upright pianos vases of flowers which can be knocked over with a resultant flooding of the pianos innards with water, must come pretty close to the unforgivable sin.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Ariel
quote:
I have my doubts about ordinary members of the public playing the St Pancras pianos, though, because almost every time I've passed by, someone seems to be sitting there without any music playing a faultless, very well-polished piece entirely from memory that attracts an audience listening in appreciation and recording it on their phones. Occasionally there have even been duets and someone accompanying the pianist with a different musical instrument.
Well, St Pancras is just down the road from the Royal Academy of Music.

As for the accompanying thing, I used one to rehearse something with a Godchild on our way to a funeral...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Including, IIRC, Chopin playing his own works.

The Vorsetzer was patented in 1904. Chopin died in 1849. However, I believe Rachmaninov may have cut rolls of his own works -- I know he did for the Ampico, one of the Vorsetzer's competitors.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh yes - St Pancras and Marylebone (railway stations in London) both have public pianos which anyone can sit and play.

I've wondered if the players are musicians or students (ages do range from about 12 to 60 though) as it's actually quite rare to see someone sit down and fumble with the keys, pick out "Chopsticks" with one finger, screw it up, look embarrassed, etc.

I have to say it has brightened up St Pancras a lot to have these impromptu live piano recitals as you walk past, and if you have the time to sit at a table at one of the wine bars and sip a glass as you enjoy the performance, that's good too.

I have played those a few times, just on a whim. But I think they probably get music students to play them often.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night at St Pancras there was an older gentleman playing well by the Eurotrain exit, with appreciative audience. And a guy in a football shirt banging out Vindaloo and other football "classics". And I've seen chopsticks picked out badly.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016