homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Getting a new kitchen (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Getting a new kitchen
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have, at last, resolved the issue of whether or not 'permission' to move the kitchen from the back to the front of the house means that we are allowed to go ahead.

Of course, by now we should have been nearing the end of the project - completion was scheduled for this Friday - and so even if my builder can get moving tomorrow (only got the news in a 'phone call at 12.30pm) he can only give me 3 days this week; after that he is booked up solid until February.

With the support of my local councillor I've a meeting with someone from the council on Friday because this nonsense has not only caused me grief and upset, it is also going to cost me money.

In the meantime, we'll have yet another Christmas with the old inconvenient arrangement [Mad]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds pretty horrible L'Organist. I do hope you get things reasonably sorted quickly.

Cattyish, not at all envious.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my parents' kitchen is just about sorted! Mom was getting pretty frazzled looking at countertop materials, backsplash (we had to add that, since the previous owners had icky, cheap, peeling, painted wallpaper under the cabinets) and new cabinets and appliances. Whew!

I scouted out some things so that the 'rents wouldn't have to be dragged all over the county to look at dozens of choices. That was very successful, and I now have happy parents! Hopefully the actual work will start soon!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The kitchen is the heart of the home so any renovation is like open heart surgery. However, once it is done you feel great.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents are very fortunate because they're still in the other house,and the house they're moving into is empty, so the renovation will be far less inconvenient!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just come back from an hour-long meeting with the council (see above) and am just about to have a stiff drink [Mad]

My solicitor and local councillor are still there so I await their further reports with interest.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a fabulous new kitchen done a year ago in August - our kitchen is dark because of the overhanging trees, so six downlighters have made an immense difference (also under-cupboard lighting) [Yipee]

Other than that, and in no particular order, my favourite things are -

a single mixer tap, incorporating a separate filtered-water feed (we have unbelievably hard water);
a cooker hood vented to the actual garden, not just blowing the smells round and round;
pop-up electrical socket packs, with USB-charging faciities;
built-in microwave;
pull-out larder cupboard;
a colourless glass splash-back to cover the grouted tiles behind the hob (the old tiles were made from congealed porridge and were about as easy to clean);
two beautiful carousel units that slide out of the cupboards as sinuously as a snake [Yipee]

The cupboards are pale blue and worktops light oak laminate, and it is all BEAUTIFUL!

Mrs. S, still jubilant [Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

The local council are talking compensation for the ***k-up so watch this space.

Meanwhile, my builder has worked like a trojan and pulled in all sorts of favours and is going to make sure that we're finished in time for Christmas, possibly earlier. Sons have come on board and are going to do basic bits of painting - undercoating mainly - to help.

At the moment the plumbing to the 'new' kitchen is in place and the electrics should be finished by the end of the weekend.

Of course, the second part of the grand plan - changing around bathroom and utility room - now won't happen until after Christmas but hey.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016