homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
This is a computer problem, but I can't find a current computer thread.

North East Quine, I have taken the liberty of reposting your question to the current computer thread!

[Edited for top of page]

[ 16. February 2016, 14:03: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the pub this evening, the TV was tuned in to some obscure satellite sport channel. It was showing an obscure Indian sport called Kabaddi. There was no sound, so I couldn't really work out what was going on. There were two,teams (Mumbai and Jaipur as it happens). From what I could see, one bloke from one team would try and run somewhere and all the players from the other team would jump on top of him. There appeared to be some form of scoring system, but I couldn't figure out how it worked.

Has anyone ever come across this game and can explain how it works?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

It's delightfully nuts. It's not terribly unlike games of playground chain tag (in the same sense that rounders is not unlike baseball).

Two teams, each own half of the playing area. The teams take it in turns to send a raider into the other team's area. The raider has to hold his breath while in the other side's zone, and continuously chants "kabaddi" to prove he's not inhaling. His aim is to tag one (or more) of the defending team and get home again, in which case the defenders he tagged are out. The defenders try to grab him and prevent him from leaving their zone - if he inhales when in the other team's zone, he's out.

There's are more rules that I don't think I understand...

[ 29. February 2016, 04:10: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

I've got no great knowledge of the game, but do remember that Channel 4 used to televised it in the mid 90s when they went through a period of broadcasting strange sporting events (tiddlywinks? Championship skateboarding?). I have a vague recollection that you use elbows and knees a little like the ancient Aztec game, but I could be making that up.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have come across a reference to a female scientist organising a nettle collection in the Second World War. The stalks were to be used to make paper, but the leaves were to be used for a secret purpose.

What could this be? Google suggests that nettles could be used to make a green dye for camouflage netting, but surely that wouldn't have to be kept a secret?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They tried to extract the component that makes your skin itch to use in chemical warfare?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... the leaves were to be used for a secret purpose ...

Soup? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stinging nettles were collected for people to make soup.

Tougher nettles were collected and fermented down because the resulting liquid speeds up compost-making and so was a valuable for use on farms.

Children in the British countryside were paid to collect a whole variety of medicinal and useful plants, and were paid a small amount for their efforts. In fact plant and weed collection was a common in rural areas as scrap metal collection in towns and cities.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nettle soup's good.
I vaguely recall hearing something about nettle fibre being used for bandages or dressings- does that sound right?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It must have been more than soup, the collection was being organised by someone with a D.Sc in botany, working in a pharmacy lab. Perhaps it was an experiment which didn't come to anything.
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
They tried to extract the component that makes your skin itch to use in chemical warfare?

Apparently compounds that cause skin irritation are even called "nettle agents". Whether any of them bear any direct relationship to compounds found in nettles I don't know.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The New Zealand nettle is a small graceful tree, urtica ferox, and is indeed ferocious – it has been known to kill.

As kids in wartime we collected ergot, common then on marram grass (funny, you don't see any now) – was it for blood clotting medication or something?

I remember the whole school going to a river valley to pick rose hips to make syrup for vitamin c for babies because we couldn't get enough oranges.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were still picking rosehips in the late 1960s for rosehip syrup. We took them into our primary school for collection. I just remember a big collection vessel we tipped them into. I guess we were collecting for Delrosa and school funds, because I just remember Delrosa rosehip syrup being given to my little sister at the baby clinic.

Apparently rosehip syrup is now being remarketed as a relief for arthritis.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a whole company in the Netherlands founded on rosehip syrup. It started in 1956. roosvicee - rose v.c. (vitamin c)
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone tell me how to upload photos to the ship? Yes, there are still technological stone-agers around who don't know..... [Confused] I have them on file, but don't know how to proceed.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can't upload photos to the Ship (unless you're RooK abusing his administration rights). That function is disabled.

If you want to share a photo on the Ship you have to upload the photo to a photo sharing site, lots of them around: Flickr, Photobucket, whatever, and then post the link on the Ship.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Jonah the Whale: There is a whole company in the Netherlands founded on rosehip syrup. It started in 1956. roosvicee - rose v.c. (vitamin c)
Brings back memories.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a difference (and if so, what is it?) between hand cream and body lotion?

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mainly water, which makes it runnier. If you look at the recipes for many cosmetics -- lotion, cold cream -- they are very similar. The only difference is the addition of water or oil (makes it runnier) and perfumes, herbs, colorants, etc.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
You can't upload photos to the Ship (unless you're RooK abusing his administration rights). That function is disabled.

If you want to share a photo on the Ship you have to upload the photo to a photo sharing site, lots of them around: Flickr, Photobucket, whatever, and then post the link on the Ship.

Thanks, Curiosity. I'll take it from there. [Biased]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:

As kids in wartime we collected ergot, common then on marram grass (funny, you don't see any now) – was it for blood clotting medication or something?

GG

Ergot was the name for a particular mould that, at least in medieval days, sometimes polluted rye. (Rye and Oats being more common than wheat for making bread for the poor and ordinary people most of the time.) I don't recall the exact repercussions on the healthy, though there were some, but it became a well-known and used (because easily available) abortifacent.

I don't suppose the latter was the reason you were collecting it, if it was indeed the same thing.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bread made with ergot-infected grain (flour) gave a skin condition that was very similar to that of the Plague (black death). But when ergot-free bread was provided the symptoms disappeared.

This figures prominently in the novel 'The Eye of God,' which is set in the period just before the reign of Richard III. (Sorry I don't remember the author, but it's a good read.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Galloping Granny: As kids in wartime we collected ergot, common then on marram grass (funny, you don't see any now) – was it for blood clotting medication or something?
Wikipedia tells me that a component of ergot works against bleeding after child birth.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Bread made with ergot-infected grain (flour) gave a skin condition that was very similar to that of the Plague (black death).

And, apparently, cases of bewitchment (scroll down to "Salem witchcraft accusations").

[ 13. March 2016, 20:44: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Art history fans: does anyone know of a depiction in art (painting, sculpture... anything visual really) of the meeting of Dido and Aeneas in Hades? There's plenty of their earthly love story, Dido's death, and Aeneas' entry into the underworld, but I can't find anything of their meeting there. This would just be a 'backdrop' to something I'll be presenting, so not super important, but curious if anyone has any leads.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ergot of rye is hallucinogenic.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
Art history fans: does anyone know of a depiction in art (painting, sculpture... anything visual really) of the meeting of Dido and Aeneas in Hades? There's plenty of their earthly love story, Dido's death, and Aeneas' entry into the underworld, but I can't find anything of their meeting there. This would just be a 'backdrop' to something I'll be presenting, so not super important, but curious if anyone has any leads.

Try this: http://hoocher.com/Publius_Vergilius_Maro/Aeneas_and_Dido_in_the_Underworld.jpg

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And another. Wish it had an attribution for you! http://aneidbook6.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/5/5/16551666/523801868.jpg?270

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, LC!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a brother in the US who gave me his cellphone number, the trouble is I don't know the prefix to ring for International calls there. Is it different if you're calling a cellphone? His number is 10 digits long and starts 323.

I realise this is probably fairly simple, but it's been a difficult day and I amfairly simple too [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I have a brother in the US who gave me his cellphone number, the trouble is I don't know the prefix to ring for International calls there. Is it different if you're calling a cellphone? His number is 10 digits long and starts 323.

I realise this is probably fairly simple, but it's been a difficult day and I amfairly simple too [Roll Eyes]

Huia

The country code for the US is '1'. So you dial whatever you dial to get an international number, which I think is 00 from your part of the world, then 1, then 323 and the rest of it.

so 00-1-323-xxx-xxxx

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Wow 13 digits! Thanks Leorning. Now I see it written I remember I used to ring him on a landline - it was just it being a cellphone that put me off. I have had so much trouble with my landline and internet breaking down at the same time that I was learning how to use a new cell phone that I thought I might have to start training pigeons.

Huia [Biased]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it possible to re-use chocolate that has been melted and set more than once? I have a relative who likes to make "home made" Easter eggs for the youngsters in the family. However they always come out as big, solid, hard lumps of chocolate that you can't break or get your teeth into. I thought of trying to re-melt them in to smaller pieces, would this work? Would they still be edible?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is possible to re-use melted chocolate and there are ways on the internet on how to do this if you want to go down that route. I did it with some small themed moulds - they weren't eggs though, which do come out quite solid. You won't get the "polished" look from re-heated chocolate.

I did wonder whether adding a little bit of cream into the melt might make the chocolate softer, but I haven't tried this out myself as the small ones seemed to be all right. I will say, though, in my case the chocolate picked up something of the flavour of the silicone moulds, which wasn't great, but better quality ones should avoid that problem.

I also found that pouring the chocolate into the moulds needed to be done very carefully to avoid air bubbles getting trapped and spoiling the look of the thing when it was turned out.

[ 29. March 2016, 11:33: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This question arises from pure idle curiosity.

I was thinking about the fact that Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. Then I remembered that in the eighteenth century in the Western countries, the calendar was changed so that the dates were advanced ten or eleven days.

This means that before the calendar change the equinox fell around March 11. This, in turn, would mean that Easter could have been as early as March 13. Did it happen that way?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Is it possible to re-use chocolate that has been melted and set more than once? I have a relative who likes to make "home made" Easter eggs for the youngsters in the family. However they always come out as big, solid, hard lumps of chocolate that you can't break or get your teeth into. I thought of trying to re-melt them in to smaller pieces, would this work? Would they still be edible?

You can also melt it to have chocolate fondue which is delicious and popular with all ages. [Smile]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The other idea is to run it through a Cuisinart and get chocolate chips. Why not experiment with a small bit of it, melting it and seeing what it is like? It sounds like you have enough there to play with. I would melt it very gently, possibly in a double boiler. The other idea is to transform it into fudge, or fudge sauce, or something like that. Chocolate shavings or chips, baked into a cake, would look and taste great and I bet you would notice no change in chocolate quality.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

This is a question arising from total bewilderment. We have used the same car insurance company since 1997; this is our first claim. We had a minor accident last week; clipped wing mirrors with an oncoming vehicle. Perfectly amicable exchange with the other driver, who said that he was driving a company car. No damage apart from the wing mirrors. We have (or had!) an indicator on the tip of ours, so our damage involved wiring. We took the car into our garage (main local dealership, part of a small chain), got a quote, booked it in for last Thurs and then informed our insurance company.

Insurance company said we couldn't get the wing mirror repaired until our car had been checked by their assessor. And their assessor is 50 miles away from us, and couldn't fit in a visit to us for a week. And so they supplied us with a loan car while our car is off the road with a damaged wing mirror. Dropping the loan car off with us involved two people on a 36 mile round trip.

WTF? It's a relatively small repair and this is our first claim in nineteen years so presumably they don't think we are trying to cheat the system. The garage we got the quote from is one of the main garages in this part of the world, and is where our car is always serviced etc, so not an eccentric choice of garage to get a quote from.

Why the fuss? The total cost of an assessor doing a 100 mile round trip to look at a broken wing mirror, plus supplying us with a loan car which is worth almost double the value of our own car for however long this takes must be far in excess of the cost of the repair.

Am I missing something? Or is this this standard practice?

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
This question arises from pure idle curiosity.

I was thinking about the fact that Easter falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. Then I remembered that in the eighteenth century in the Western countries, the calendar was changed so that the dates were advanced ten or eleven days.

This means that before the calendar change the equinox fell around March 11. This, in turn, would mean that Easter could have been as early as March 13. Did it happen that way?

Moo

Don't know for sure, but I do think that the Catholic countries had changed before that, so the date of Easter could have been as interesting as it was before the Synod of Whitby. Before the calendar change, the date was definitely WRONG. If the calendar had continued unchanged, the equinox would have been falling, eventually, in late December. Very confusing.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

The Guardian printed recipes for leftover Easter Eggs - despite comments that this was an unknown ingredient.

Leftover chocolate

[ 29. March 2016, 20:54: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Question for Americans.

I'm used to seeing the political designations 'conservative' and 'liberal' w.r.t. US politics but lately (this election cycle I guess) I'm noticing the increased use of 'progressive'. From context this appears to be similar to liberal but perhaps there's a subtle difference?

Also is this used in relation to religious traditions too, where there's also been a liberal/conservative labelling?

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well politically of course, liberal does not mean the same thing as progressive or left-wing (and progressive doesn't mean the same thing as left-wing either). Usually the most politically liberal (in the true meaning of the phrase) politicians are the most right-wing!

In terms of Christianity, progressive seems popular with those who are orthodox/conservative (esp evangelical) but flexible on Dead Horse issues. I probably fall in that category and I do feel that liberal wouldn't describe my position.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Well politically of course, liberal does not mean the same thing as progressive

You say "of course" but it's not obvious to me otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question! Care to elaborate on the differences?
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a North American historian, "progressive" also has a specific meaning in relation to two distinct political movements, one in Canada and the other in the United States in the early 20th century.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Paul.: You say "of course" but it's not obvious to me otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question! Care to elaborate on the differences?
I've said this before on the Ship, but in most of continental Europe, liberal parties are right-wing. Examples are FDP, VLD, VVD …

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Well politically of course, liberal does not mean the same thing as progressive

You say "of course" but it's not obvious to me otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question! Care to elaborate on the differences?
Liberalism as a political movement is rooted in freedom, and especially in the 20th Century, the free market. Think of libertarianism as more extreme liberalism and you're getting nearer. Economic liberalism in particular has been a hallmark of Reaganite/Thatcherite politics - hardly what one would call progressive! Liberalism in the true sense of the word would generally disapprove of things like hate speech laws, progressivism would not.

Looking up classical liberalism and people like Adam Smith might help.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

This is getting rather Purgatorial, but I find it helpful to look at this from the power triangle government — private companies — citizens.

When you take up the label 'liberal', the question is "what do you want to free yourself from"? I feel that this question has been answered differently in different countries.

In most of Western Europe, the answer to this question has been: "government influence". This resulted in a power shift towards private companies (which may very well have been their intent).

[ 30. March 2016, 13:46: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would agree that the various nuances of 'liberal', 'libertarian', 'progressive' etc are too various for a Notes and Queries thread and could furnish an entire one of their own.

If you wish to debate them further, Purg is thataway -->

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

Thanks, this is a bigger topic than I realised. Considering whether to open a Purg topic or not.
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NEQ - regarding your insurance

If you are wanting the repair carried out under the insurance, (ie you don't end up paying for it - presumably your company will claim the money from the insurers of the other driver) then it pretty much has to be done under their terms, regardles of the extent of the damage

Cynical I know, but the more that your company has to do in terms of the adjuster, the car hire and the cost of the repairer of their choice ( tho' you can try asking for the one you want) the more money they can claim from the other company, which then relates to putting everyone's premiums up.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016