homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The other driver was driving a company car, and said he would have to do it through the insurance, so we thought we had to, as well. Both drivers thought they'd been unlucky, and equally responsible (unless the other driver has since said something different to his insurers). We don't want to claim from the other driver, as we don't think he was at fault per se. (Rural road whose edge crumbled in the January floods, awaiting repair, so all drivers are cutting it a bit fine when they pass; in this case we clipped wing mirrors, but it's just the tip of the wing mirror, where the indicator is (or was!) The actual mirror is badly cracked, though not so badly cracked that it doesn't still function as a mirror; obviously we're getting the mirror replaced as well. We are far from being the first car to come to grief since the road was damaged.

If we'd had it fixed last Thursday, the total cost to the insurers would have been £300; now it will be £300, plus the cost of giving us a shiny loan car for a fortnight, plus the cost of their expert. [Disappointed]

On the plus side I'm enjoying driving a shiny new car. It only had 1000 miles on the clock when they dropped it off. We've only ever had second hand cars, I don't think I've ever driven anything so new and expensive before. [Smile]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a word in English for a lavtory that isn't in some sense a euphemism? 'Urinal', I suppose, isn't, but that's a rather specific and limited kind.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't think of one, although I see that a pit toilet in New Zealand can be called a "long drop", which sounds rather graphic!

An English pseud might call a urinal a "pissoir", but one might well consider that not to have been sufficiently assimilated into our language.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, that would be pseudy, wouldn't it? Perhaps you could call it a 'pisser' if you were an Anglo-saxonist.
Fowler (1926) says that the eupemistic use of lavatory was to be deprecated, as being likely to drive the original sense of the word out of the language (which indeed it did): but he doesn't suggest an alternative. 'Jakes', perhaps? But that is surely too archaic (and I don't know its origin).

[ 15. April 2016, 16:31: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you accept the Thomas Crapper theory then crapper is quite nice.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Privy. Close stool. Water closet. Bog. Cludgie. Shithouse. Latrine.

Any of those appeal?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm pretty sure that "crap" predates Crapper by centuries. I wonder about "jakes" too but couldn't find the derivation. "Shithouse" is by far the best so far.

I rather like the British Colonial "thunderbox", though!

P.S. According to "a well-known only encyclopedia", the word "crap" comes from the Dutch and was long used to refer to chaff, weeds or other rubbish: "Its first application to bodily waste, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, appeared in 1846 under a reference to a crapping ken, or a privy, where ken means a house". I like "crapping ken"!

[ 15. April 2016, 17:11: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Yes, that's a good one.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Dry pit privy" is old fashioned in western Canada for outhouse, though 'dry pit toilet' is said more often, which means it isn't attached to the residence. They are generally illegal now. We calld them "kybo" in boy scouts. "Shitter" is said, but in polite company. W.C. is common in schools 'water closet'.

"Hanging a rat" is a euphemism for the act of defecation; some of the German settlers called the potty the "rat house', which is a play on "Rathaus' which means city hall.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Italian grandmother called it the baccaus with accent on the second syllable -- pseudo-Italian for "backhouse".

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One outside may well be called the "dunny". Down here.

If it isn't a long drop, it could well be emptied by the dunny man. The thought of being caught in the act by the dunny man used to terrify my sister and me when we were young.

Not much chance of that. He used to call in odd early hours of the morning.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I wonder about "jakes" too but couldn't find the derivation.

'Jakes' was current in Shakespeare's day, as he makes some rude jokes about it in 'As You Like It.' (The name of the character Jacques has to be pronounced 'Jay-kwees' in order to scan, and he is the butt (sorry!) of some low humor.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I'm pretty sure that "crap" predates Crapper by centuries. I wonder about "jakes" too but couldn't find the derivation. "Shithouse" is by far the best so far.

I rather like the British Colonial "thunderbox", though!

P.S. According to "a well-known only encyclopedia", the word "crap" comes from the Dutch and was long used to refer to chaff, weeds or other rubbish: "Its first application to bodily waste, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, appeared in 1846 under a reference to a crapping ken, or a privy, where ken means a house". I like "crapping ken"!

More comprehensive, but still not complete.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I knew a family who used the shorthand of Τόπος (place), which was fine so long as you knew in advance what they were referring to.

Of course we were mightily confused when a visiting American preacher asked for the bathroom and then asked for another bathroom when the first proved not to have a WC - and neither did the second.

Why do people from the US refer to a bathroom when clearly the last thing they want is a bath?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or the rest room?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Why do people from the US refer to a bathroom when clearly the last thing they want is a bath?

It is very rare in the US to have the toilet in a separate room. A room with a bath almost always has a toilet.

In the US people also talk about half-baths, which are rooms with a toilet and sink, but no bath. Then there are the three-quarter baths which have toilet, sink, and shower stall.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Or the rest room?

I was once at an international summer school run by the British arm of an American organisation. It had a designated "rest room" which contained comfy chair, magazines etc. but not a toilet.

Which caused a lot of confusion!

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Toilet? That is what one does in the morning: ablutions and dressing.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
True, but I shouldn't think there are many people left in England who use the word in that sense now. I know what it means but it has died out in contemporary usage.

As can probably be witnessed in the National Gallery on a daily basis by people viewing the famous painting by Velazquez.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Err, still in use in my immediate circle. [Biased]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My parents used to tell me off for saying 'toilet' - it was 'common'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Is there a word in English for a lavtory that isn't in some sense a euphemism? 'Urinal', I suppose, isn't, but that's a rather specific and limited kind.

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
In the US people also talk about half-baths, which are rooms with a toilet and sink, but no bath. Then there are the three-quarter baths which have toilet, sink, and shower stall.

FWIW, in the usage drilled into my head as a youth, lavertory is not synonymous with bathroom/toilet/WC/etc. It meant the basin for washing hands or face—what most people call a sink. Where I grew up, a sink was for washing things, such as pots, pans or dishes.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do hate it when it's only after the edit window has closed that I realize I've misspelled a word not once, but twice. [Hot and Hormonal]

My apologies to all lavatories.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course when I was growing up it was all chamber pots.

Historically, if you were posh, you didn't go to a specific room to shit - it came to you, in the form of a close stool or a pot, which some lucky menial then took away and possibly fired out of a window.

There were garderobes, situated on the external wall of the castle usually (I have used one in Bohemia; you don't want to look down) or over the river if you were a waterfront property - - otherwise it tended to end up in the cellar, from which the gong men would shovel it away.

[ 17. April 2016, 20:24: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
It is very rare in the US to have the toilet in a separate room.

I have seen bathrooms where the toilet was separated off via a floor-to-ceiling partition. For some reason it reminded me of a confessional.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was going to mention this -- it is common in very large luxurious bathrooms, especially the kind with two sinks and jacuzzi tubs. This allows one person to Commune With Nature while the other brushes their teeth or lools in the tub. There is also usually a separate shower stall with a glass door.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wouldn't want to be the one in the shower when the toilet was flushed -- I'd be scalded with hot water when all of the cold water was being diverted to the toilet.
[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Tch. Modern plumbing valve systems (if you have a bathroom of that elaborateness it is surely all of the best) ensures that you never get temperature variations.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I wouldn't want to be the one in the shower when the toilet was flushed -- I'd be scalded with hot water when all of the cold water was being diverted to the toilet.
[Eek!]

Having renovated several bathrooms (meaning sink, toilet, combined tub+shower), it is relatively simply to pipe correctly, ¾" versus ½" lines serving the bathroom is a good start, routing correctly is another) to prevent this and also to prevent water hammer. Toilet services are usually ½", and if there's a valve to regulate the water flow in (if not install one), you can simply make the tank fill more slowly. Newer low water toilets also help.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to the question, what about "shithouse"? Definitely no euphemism there.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would make up a word. How about 'defecatory?' The analogy is to factory: "Well, I'm off to the defecatory for half an hour, mind if I take the latest issue of Economist?"

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

There is a perfectly good word - privy.

It is short, easily understood, and conveys that one wishes to go somewhere to be private.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

But it's still a euphemism as it doesn't explain the actual bodily function that goes on there.

A "privy" could be a place you go to get dressed, or to have a private conversation with a friend, or a nap, or for prayer ... many things.

For that reason "defecatory" is much better although it's rather cumbersome and only describes half of what happens in there!

[ 19. April 2016, 13:40: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
There were garderobes, situated on the external wall of the castle usually (I have used one in Bohemia; you don't want to look down).

If you were down below, you most certainly wouldn't want to look up.

The "heads" on the old sailing ships were much the same.

[ 19. April 2016, 13:43: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
FWIW, in the usage drilled into my head as a youth, lavertory is not synonymous with bathroom/toilet/WC/etc. It meant the basin for washing hands or face.

Still does in Portuguese: a "lavatorio" is place where you wash: "lavar". English has lost that linguistic connection. (Equally an "oratorio" is a chapel, a place where you go to "orar" or pray).
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have recently come across the idea that garderobes were called so, not out of finding yet another way not to describe the function, but because clothes were hung there in the belief that the fumes would do for the corrupting moths. I can't believe that if true I would have reached the age I am without having come across this - especially considering the number of times I have taken children round Dover Castle, where the multi-storey versions discharged into the basement.

I am beginning to suspect modern guides of Making Things Up.

What was the word used for the tiny projecting rooms on the farmhouses as shown in the Singleton Open Air Museum in Sussex? No room for wardrobe use. Precious little for hoicking up medieval skirts, either.

[ 19. April 2016, 13:52: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have now had no less than 35 posts on what to call household sewage disposal units. I hope Albertus is sufficiently answered, and we can now move on to talking about something else for a change, or answering a new (unrelated) query, if anyone has one.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I think this one may be unanswerable in any definitive way. It started with a child's question about what happens if a vampire bites a zombie and whether a zombie biting a vampire is different. The additional question that arose is what happens if a vampire takes communion wine. We didn't get around to discussing zombies in this regard.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the communion wine front, there is an episode from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which is, of course, hard-core scientific proof of how vampires act and respond), in which she tricks a vampire into swallowing some holy water. He burned from the inside out, ending up dusted. I imagine communion wine would have a similar reaction.

I don't know enough about zombies to comment on the rest of your post.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The answer is whatever your imagination comes up with. Vampires and zombies are both fictitious creatures, whose characteristics and rules of engagement have been varied and elaborated by many hands.

Who do you want to take as your ur-bloodsucker? Nosferatu? Dracula? Varney? Ruthven?

And when did zombies turn from drugged slaves into brain-eating undead?

You could turn it into an object lesson in the creation of mythic material and its underlying significance as an index of subliminal fears.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmmm...undead biting undead? Not sure anything would happen, other than mutual pain and anger. A vampire bites to drink blood. Zombies, I presume, don't have any. A vampire, being undead, probably wouldn't taste good to a zombie. Maybe they should just go for ice cream? [Biased]

Re Buffy: There was a wonderful story line where Spike, vampire, literally goes to Hell to get his soul back, so he can "love [Buffy] proper".

When he gets back to Sunnydale, he's insane from the shock of being re-ensouled. There's a scene where he and Buffy meet in an abandoned church. He tells her about all this, as best as he can manage. Then he wraps his arms around a big cross, causing him to singe around the edges, and says, "Can we rest now, Buffy? Can we rest?"
[Tear]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
A vampire bites to drink blood. Zombies, I presume, don't have any.

Or if they do, it's dead blood, hence lacking in nutritional value. Junk food for vampires? There's an industry waiting to be spawned. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Periodically I buy cooked chicken portions which have some kind of flavour coating. Usually on the skin, which seems like rather a waste as I always remove and discard it.

It's since dawned on me that possibly you're intended to eat the chicken skin. I always assumed this was just left in place for cooking purposes and should be removed. Do people actually eat it?

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I definitely eat the skin. I consider it a bit of a treat as it is less healthly, but I think it tastes the best, particularly with flavorings.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't because a lot of the fat is found under the skin. I am less sure about chicken than other meat as my mother never cooked it (saying that it looked like roasted baby [Eek!] ). In my childhood chicken was an expensive meat, compared with beef and lamb, now it is the cheapest that can be bought here.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I do. If I remove the skin for a specific dish I will save it, and put it (with bones, wing tips, spines, etc.) into the stock pot.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
On the communion wine front, there is an episode from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which is, of course, hard-core scientific proof of how vampires act and respond), in which she tricks a vampire into swallowing some holy water. He burned from the inside out, ending up dusted. I imagine communion wine would have a similar reaction.

I don't know enough about zombies to comment on the rest of your post.

I played a disguised angel chararacter in World of Darkness. For a bunch of complicated plot reasons, I would up running around with a vampire cohort. One of the other player characters told the GM," I want to bite her. I want to roll my instinct on that."
He rolled well.
GM-- "Something tells you that is a very, very, VERY bad idea."

Too bad, it would have been fun to watch.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It's since dawned on me that possibly you're intended to eat the chicken skin. I always assumed this was just left in place for cooking purposes and should be removed. Do people actually eat it?

Chicken skin is the Whole Point as far as I'm concerned. It's like pork crackling, or the rim of fat on a chop. The objective is to get it as crisp and flavoursome as possible to complement the relative blandness of the meat.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amen!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Chicken skin is the Whole Point as far as I'm concerned. It's like pork crackling, or the rim of fat on a chop.

I'm a huge fan of pork crackling (and disappointed that it seems to be impossible to buy a pork joint with the rind on in the US) but don't like chicken skin.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016