homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Get a bread-slicing-box -- a box into which you put the loaf, that has slots in it to help you slice evenly and thinly. This should work well with breadh-machine loaves, which always come out square.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I'm thinking about getting a bread slicer

Is that not a bread knife?

Breadmakers have been refined to produce rectangular loaves. I recommend Panasonic. Or you can use the dough setting and have a loaf any shape you want.

Cheaper? If I buy supermarket bread, it's usually a 400g loaf for 85p. If I bake, its 400g of flour + tiny amounts of salt, sugar and butter (which I would have in the house anyway). Bread flour is typically £1.50 for 1.5k. Yeast is £1 for 6 x 7g sachets, and I would expect to get 2 to 3 loaves from each sachet.

So I think my home-made loaf costs roughly 50p.

Other advantages are of course taste and variety - olive, cheese, seeded, brown, wholemeal, brioche etc - and the smell wafting through the house.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
I'm thinking about getting a bread slicer

Is that not a bread knife?
It would be, but I haven't mastered the art of cutting consistent thin slices, only erratic doorstep slices, usually with a hole in the middle.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lakeland have a gadget Bread slicer which you use with a knife - it looks a bit like a grocer's bacon slicer, and like that has ways of varying the thickness.

I have to say that I had an earlier version, and decided I was happier coping with wiggly slices than using it.

[ 15. May 2016, 09:51: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jings. At £21, you're a a quarter of the way to a breadmaker.

Also, I'm disillusioned with Lakeland since I bought their mouli grater which turned out perfectly useless.

[ 15. May 2016, 10:23: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With those stupid plastic handles that break off the first time you try to grate a carrot? I have a selection of fairly useless drums without fully functioning handles. The only mouli graters worth having are the metal ones. Don't bother with the herb mills either - nightmare to clean.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It was a metal one. The previous (plastic handled) one lasted 20 years.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must see if I can find my mother's grater/mincer. It had a clamp so you could fix it to the edge of the table and was as sturdy a piece of metal equipment as you could hope for. She used it for about 30 years with no problems.

The Panasonic seems to have a lot of good reviews on various sites, this looks like one to go for. Thanks for the suggestion!

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I must see if I can find my mother's grater/mincer. It had a clamp so you could fix it to the edge of the table and was as sturdy a piece of metal equipment as you could hope for. She used it for about 30 years with no problems.

My mother had one of those! It was really heavy, almost like cast iron. I have no idea what happened to it.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I still have a lump-of-metal mincer, in fact I've two: one smallsize and one enormous one which I suspect was for a butcher's shop before they got electric mincers.

I use one or other for chopping up meat, and they're brilliant for making marmalade.

If you want all metal hand graters and mincers, go to a quincaillerie next time you're in France or Belgium.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Horse-grade, no doubt.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can get what they call a fiddle-bow bread knife. They work quite well.

I used to have an electric knife that had a slicing guide--something that attached to the side of the knife. When that knife died, I couldn't find a replacement with a slicing guide. I assume some idiot did something stupid and then sued the company that made the knife.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... I might also get a bread machine at some point but am not sure whether it does work out cheaper to make your own.

In my experience, it does - very much so. As I've said elsewhere on the Ship, our bread-machine is used at least once a week, usually to make French sticks.

In the supermarket they'd cost about $2 - $3 each; a 10kg bag of flour, which costs less than $10, will make about 45 (working out at less than 22¢ per loaf). That's quite a saving - and IMHO they're much nicer than shop-bought ones, and freeze beautifully. And making them is fun - the machine does the hard work and you get the therapeutic rolling-and-shaping bit.

Win-win. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm still surprised that baguettes cost so much where you are. You can get quite long ones for about 75p here.

I'm quite happy to forego the kneading, rolling and shaping and leave that to them wot likes it [Biased]

What's the best way of avoiding mould with homemade bread, by the way? Freezer, I suppose (though I don't have one as such).

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find that homemade bread is vastly less likely to go mouldy than shop-bought bread. The exception to this is when I use a bread mix, which I find very interesting. It will go stale more quickly than shop bread though. If I was more organised I would slice it all and then freeze it in convenient batches. I'm not though, so I eat it fresh for two days and then toast it after that.

I haven't costed it, but I think my homemade bread costs roughly the same as shop-bought for a similar type of loaf. The big difference, though, is in the taste. After getting used to homemade bread I find anything else tasteless and boring - and that's for white bread, never mind the more adventurous loaves.

I have a Panasonic breadmaker and can't praise it highly enough. If I'm going to be around I tend to use the dough cycle and do the final rising and baking in my own tin, but that really is personal preference and nothing to do with the performance of the breadmaker.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I also use the dough cycle the most. For me, the main cost of making my own bread is the electricity for the oven. It doesn't take long to bake but every time I heat up the oven just for bread I wonder if I could have planned better. Baguettes in the stores here are at least $3 and a regular loaf of bread is often more.

I buy the yeast in a large package and keep it in the freezer. The yeast itself was one of the biggest expenses before I started doing this.

As far as keeping it fresh goes, all of my bread is sliced and put right into the freezer as soon as it is cool. If I didn't do this, I would eat a loaf before I knew what I was doing!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

With a homemade loaf I tend to put some effort into using all of it, so once past the sandwiches/toast stages, there's soaking it in ketchup and Worcester and adding it to meat loaf: mixing with mince and seasoning for burgers: dicing into croutons and frying up with bacon to go over a salad: crumbing it and mixing with parmesan as a savoury topping for fish or macaroni cheese: mixing it with lentils and cheese and chili for spicy veggie bake thing. The other w/end I even made proper schnitzel with oven dried breadcrumbs. Oh, and bread pudding.
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I want a Firenze in my kitchen!

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Bread flour is typically £1.50 for 1.5k. Yeast is £1 for 6 x 7g sachets, and I would expect to get 2 to 3 loaves from each sachet.

So I think my home-made loaf costs roughly 50p.

Other advantages are of course taste and variety - olive, cheese, seeded, brown, wholemeal, brioche etc - and the smell wafting through the house.

That's expensive, roughly $3 in devalued Cdn money. I bought 10 kg of unbleached Canadian flour yesterday for $10. Which is about £5. Our all purpose flour has high gluten; all of it is bread flour. (I buy yeast in 250g jars. )

If you're patient, you can make bread with minimal yeast and minimal kneading or other working, stirring mostly. I baked yesterday (Sunday), 3 loaves from 1/2 tsp of yeast, started on Thursday (half whole wheat, with some ground flax, porridge oats, a bit of sea salt, you don't need any sugar if you've more time). Also made a focaccia with thyme and rosemarie.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I'm sure I could bulk buy flour (and yeast) more cheaply. But I have neither the storage space nor the demand.

(My mother - who baked almost daily - kept flour in a large plastic bin under the stairs. The mice gnawed their way in. Which is probably also why I only keep a few kg and it's on the topmost shelf of the tallest cupboard).

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

As this seems a topic that could run, I have transferred the recent relevant posts to Their very own all bread all baking thread

Firenze
Heaven Host

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had many years' experience making jellies and marmalades and selling them for an overseas aid charity. Yes, there's an occasional failure, but 95% or more turns out perfectly. Currently 21 jars of lime marmalade await labels; my printer needs a colour cartridge.
My original mentor left me her 16 litre pot and her good old Scots shredder – and her jiggler, a little round, domed metal thing which rattles on the base of the pot.
But I can't remember whether its purpose is to prevent jam from sticking on the bottom and burning (yes, it does) or to prevent it from bubbling right up and over, as it can do.
Any Ideas?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
You can get what they call a fiddle-bow bread knife. They work quite well.

Moo

It's also one of the best tools I know for cutting bagels.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm thinking about doing a cream tea. Can I use extra thick double cream instead of clotted?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I don't know where to put this . These posters are all around the place in central Manc / Salford - someone seems to have deep pockets. Does anyone know anything about it? Google does not seem to be my friend.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

They appear to have a website - which was the first hit Google brought me. Followed by a report of billboards in Swindon.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mark, it appears to be another fantasy from the "Freemen on the Land" people. Not sure about the link to the Freemen people, but it has similar argumentation to their things, and I found some linkage when I took a look. Link.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is also one in Risca, South Wales. Perhaps 10 miles from the UK Intellectual Property Office (patents, copyright, trade marks, etc.), which seems apposite...

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well it's good to know loonytune conspiracy fanatics exist on both sides of the Atlantic. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a legal name fraud poster up in Romford, Essex too.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm thinking about doing a cream tea. Can I use extra thick double cream instead of clotted?

I suspect that even extra-thick double cream will be too runny unless it's slightly whipped.

Anyway, it wouldn't be the same!! There's nothing to compare with clotted cream!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
There is also one in Risca, South Wales. Perhaps 10 miles from the UK Intellectual Property Office (patents, copyright, trade marks, etc.), which seems apposite...

Surely right outside the offices, where it can be seen by everyone as they report for work in the morning and all their visitors would be better?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, I have 3 old pennies sitting on my mantelpiece. They were Mum's "jam making pennies" and woe betide anyone in the family who decided to spend them -(when they were valid currency of course). I remember her telling me that they saved the jam from 'catching' and also stopped it boiling over.

My youngest brother pointed out that they went in dull and came out shiny and said he wondered about being poisoned, but never failed to pile it high on his toast.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
quote:

I suspect that even extra-thick double cream will be too runny unless it's slightly whipped.

Anyway, it wouldn't be the same!! There's nothing to compare with clotted cream!

I know, but it's 1.5 times the cost and I'm looking at doing this for about 40-50 people.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Mark, it appears to be another fantasy from the "Freemen on the Land" people. Not sure about the link to the Freemen people, but it has similar argumentation to their things, and I found some linkage when I took a look. Link.

What a surprise. Utterly deluded twonks, the lot of them.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
GG, I have 3 old pennies sitting on my mantelpiece. They were Mum's "jam making pennies" and woe betide anyone in the family who decided to spend them -(when they were valid currency of course). I remember her telling me that they saved the jam from 'catching' and also stopped it boiling over.

My youngest brother pointed out that they went in dull and came out shiny and said he wondered about being poisoned, but never failed to pile it high on his toast.

Huia

Thank you; that's interesting. My jiggler is specially designed and it seems it's supposed to fulfil both functions. But I won't stop stirring, or watching the marmalade as it rises in the pot!

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our favourite holiday house in Blue Mountains had two cast iron kettles on the wood stove. They had glass marbles in them. When marbles rattled, kettle was empty. It did not happen often, but was noisy..

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember my mum having a little glass disc which rattled in the milk-pan to stop it boiling over.

Fine and dandy as long as you're still within earshot I suppose. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Well it's good to know loonytune conspiracy fanatics exist on both sides of the Atlantic. [Roll Eyes]

They are related I think - the Freemen on the Land appear to be the UK manifestation of the Sovereign Citizen movement, via Canada.

Probably mostly of interest to those caught bypassing electricity meters and the like, but Timothy McVeigh (the Oklahoma bomber) was apparently one of these.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would have thought 'I don't have no name, guv' is police dodge #1 for every Friday night drunk. So who is funding the poster campaign? Perhaps they paid for it using a rubber cheque...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You could buy a bottles of not homogenised gold top milk, bring it up to scalding temperature, just below the boil (with the glass jiggler), and then allow it to cool. What you get on top will be clotted cream.

But reading on, that wouldn't do the numbers. Many restaurants use whipped cream.

[ 25. May 2016, 17:23: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I've bought one pot of clotted and one of double extra thick, following a recommendation from a colleague who does a lot of cooking. If that runs out there's butter. It should see us through about 40 scones I think.
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Easy to sneer at Freemen on the Land (and very, very tempting) but several people have been deluded into gaol, for things like non payment of tax. And I remember reading a news report last year about a couple who had their house repossessed because they declined to pay their mortgage after drinking in this nonsense.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's probably not possible to offer folks who wish to exercise their personal sovereignty and opt out of society, an anarchy field trip to Somalia. I don't think a state is allowed in law to leave someone stateless, even if that seems to be what they are looking for!

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

What a surprise. Utterly deluded twonks, the lot of them.
Very likely. A link to the "Legal Name Fraud" website mentioned a "Crown Corporation" and that this now has possession of one's "name" (sorry for the quotes). While in Canada these are enterpises owned by the crown, all I can find in the UK is a limited company, now dissolved, that until 2011 was in the radio and television business.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From what I've read on the Internet, some also seem to have an obsession with common law (while not apparently having a clue what it is), Magna Carta (ditto) and some seem to have an unhealthy fixation on admiralty law, drawing all sorts of odd conclusions because of the similarity in sound of 'birth' and 'berth'.

There is also some obsession (which sounds like this legal name thing) that if your name is, eg, John Smith, if you call yourself John of the family Smith, it means something different - goodness only knows what and why. There are some case reports on line from Canada, Australia and, I think, California, comprehensively rubbishing all the various arguments.

It's very sad that desperate people listen to this stuff that just makes it worse for them. I can't link, but wiki Freemen on the Land.

Sorry for the rant, but I come across this sometimes on law discussion boards.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It sounds like the sovereign citizens movement, here in the US. I just did a quick search, and a couple of hits said that the FBI and Homeland Security consider them domestic terrorists! Though perhaps they're focusing on the more extreme folks, and maybe lumping in folks like the ones who took over part of the Malheur Wildlife refuge.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I don't know where to put this . These posters are all around the place in central Manc / Salford - someone seems to have deep pockets. Does anyone know anything about it? Google does not seem to be my friend.

I glimpsed an identical poster in Croham Road, South Croydon today. I didn't understand it and I still don't.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By the railway bridge?
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anybody know anything about how the records of next of kin work in the NHS?

Naturally I have always been the next of kin for my son, but when he went to A and E a couple of days ago they told him that they had a different name down as his next of kin - the name of someone whom neither he nor I would ever have nominated for that role (never in a million years!!!). It came as a bit of a shock to him, and to me too, and it makes us wonder how on earth it happened and whether there is any likelihood of it happening again. Does anyone know? (Or know to which organisation we should complain?)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016