homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smudgie - try this on your next of kin. Basically you nominate your own next of kin, so if there is anyone else they've been nominated at some point and the record has stuck, but it isn't something that needs to remain like that and can be changed.

The thing that might be lingering is a right to see records - BMA (pdf) (owly link because the original html address is full of all the things I tell students not to use!)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Does anybody know anything about how the records of next of kin work in the NHS?

Naturally I have always been the next of kin for my son, but when he went to A and E a couple of days ago they told him that they had a different name down as his next of kin - the name of someone whom neither he nor I would ever have nominated for that role (never in a million years!!!). It came as a bit of a shock to him, and to me too, and it makes us wonder how on earth it happened and whether there is any likelihood of it happening again. Does anyone know? (Or know to which organisation we should complain?)

No idea. The only thing I can surmise is that it may be from quite a long time ago, possibly in a conversation with someone related to the NHS, without either you or him realizing that the answer was going to be written up afterwards.

People can and do get some wrong answers down even when told the correct information, but you can get the records amended. If you want to actually complain, this page might be a starting point.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity:
The thing that might be lingering is a right to see records - BMA (pdf) (owly link because the original html address is full of all the things I tell students not to use!)

For anyone thinking of accessing it, the link asks you to download and save a pdf. The pdf is aimed at health care professionals. If you don't want to do that, you might try the NHS webpages as a starting point.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a radio question. Is it possible to get LW stations on a DAB radio? I'm a bit confused about what DAB actually is and does, and the internet isn't very clear.

From what I can make out, DAB radios seem to have mostly just FM stations and the ones that are local to your area; I'm looking for something that can receive international stations as there are two I sometimes listen to. Reception on a normal radio is tricky at times so it would be good to know whether there is a better alternative.

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DAB radios that receive FM do so via a separate tuner, and another different tuner would be required for LW. There are some products that have this option, typically DAB/FM/AM/LW, though the ones I have seen seem to be out of stock/discontinued.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Recently there was a query about "legal name fraud" appearing on billboards all over the country. The BBC have now picked it up and done some investigation, but what it's about and who's behind it is still a bit of a mystery.
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Recently there was a query about "legal name fraud" appearing on billboards all over the country. The BBC have now picked it up and done some investigation, but what it's about and who's behind it is still a bit of a mystery.

Nice to know my initial assessment of the poster as complete cobblers is accurate.

Someone has money to burn renting all that advertising space.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Indeed.

The Kate of Gaia website has a section about the Book of Revelation and how it was garbled, but she has rearranged the verses.

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I have a radio question. Is it possible to get LW stations on a DAB radio? I'm a bit confused about what DAB actually is and does, and the internet isn't very clear.

From what I can make out, DAB radios seem to have mostly just FM stations and the ones that are local to your area; I'm looking for something that can receive international stations as there are two I sometimes listen to. Reception on a normal radio is tricky at times so it would be good to know whether there is a better alternative.

Have you considered getting an internet radio? Friends of mine have one (she is Swedish and wanted to get Swedish radio) and love it http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Choosing_your_radio/About_internet_radio.htm

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks for that, Yangtze. I had actually thought about it, but don't have wireless internet. ISTM that if an internet radio needs to be plugged in to the pc otherwise, then I might just as well click on the relevant station's radio player and listen while I surf, though it does mean it can't be moved easily into another room.

I've settled for an app on my phone instead which has eaten 32MB of my remaining phone memory (I really wish more apps would give the option to live on the SD card), but is something I can use while moving around, or travelling if free wifi kindly permits. [Big Grin]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Information please:

Any botanists about?

Do trees shed pollen by the clock?

It is Teak tree blossom time and I always suffer with my allergies this time of year but somehow it is always at its worst from 04:30 to 09:00. I cope with it and I take antihistamines and so on but I am beginning to think some of this might be the tree'so fault.

Any ideas?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No botanist here, but flowers certainly do open and close by the clock (different species, different times). Winds also come up and carry pollen at particular times, depending on your local climate and topography. So yes, you could be getting pollinated by a clock!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:

Nice to know my initial assessment of the poster as complete cobblers is accurate.

Someone has money to burn renting all that advertising space.

The New Zealand version is when a group of Maori declare that they do not have to obey the law because the Treaty of Waitangi 1840 gives them sovereignty over their own land. Latest version: police find car with a non-legal Warrant of Fitness (MoT) sticker for which driver has paid $150. Car is then found to be in a non-warrantable condition so they get fined $150 for that and then they'll have to pay to have the car fixed plus the cost of a genuine WoF when it is okay. Once the scam is spotted it's soon dealt with.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
No botanist here, but flowers certainly do open and close by the clock (different species, different times). Winds also come up and carry pollen at particular times, depending on your local climate and topography. So yes, you could be getting pollinated by a clock!

Thanks LC - after I read your reply it occurred to me that one of my mum's favourite flowers was Night-Scented Stock which sort of proves your point!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know that my orchids with scents only smell in the morning. There's no scent at all in the evening, which led me to believe that the insects they want to attract are out and about in the mornings only.

It's fascinating to consider the many differing methods various plants use to assure their species' survival! I guess they don't care at all about our sinuses or watery eyes!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found out from a gardening teacher at a school I teach at that white flowers release their perfume at night, because they are pollinated by moths. Hence why flowers like Jasmine smell strongly in the evening, but not during the day. I'm not sure if this also influences pollen.
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Sweet evening primrose' are just that.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
It's fascinating to consider the many differing methods various plants use to assure their species' survival! I guess they don't care at all about our sinuses or watery eyes!

Are you familiar with the book or documentary "The Botany Of Desire"? Author Michael Pollan works with the idea that maybe plants work to get *us* to do things for *them*. I've seen the documentary on PBS, and it's really good. (Clips available.) Haven't yet read the book.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Are you familiar with the book or documentary "The Botany Of Desire"? Author Michael Pollan works with the idea that maybe plants work to get *us* to do things for *them*. I've seen the documentary on PBS, and it's really good. (Clips available.) Haven't yet read the book.

And I thought it was bad enough being manipulated by a cat. I hope the cat and plants don't gang up against me or I'm finished.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The North East Man and I visited Reykjavik. In addition to original works in Icelandic, bookshops carried a good selection of books translated into Icelandic. We went to the Public Library to print out our return boarding passes and ended up wandering about, surprised at the number and range of books in Icelandic.

Iceland has a population of 330,000. What are the economics of translating a lengthy book such as e.g. Jessie Burton's "The Miniaturist" or a children's book such as David Walliams "Gangsta Granny" into a minority language? I've read the former and though I enjoyed it, it's not a "must-read." Plus, with children's books, presumably the market is at maximum one per household as siblings would share (and some children would borrow from a friend or a library.)

How big does a market need to be to justify translating and publishing in a minority language? Are there subsidies? How does it work?

[ 28. June 2016, 09:53: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

And I thought it was bad enough being manipulated by a cat. I hope the cat and plants don't gang up against me or I'm finished.

Huia

When you see how they manipulate insects, is it surprising?
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wrote a story once, about parasites manipulating us. It was, as you might imagine, a horror story.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Golden Key, I was not aware of that! It certainly puts a spin on what I have assumed my whole life.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looking at the author's name, it is hard not to think of nominative determinism - almost.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Iceland has a population of 330,000. What are the economics of translating a lengthy book such as e.g. Jessie Burton's "The Miniaturist" or a children's book such as David Walliams "Gangsta Granny" into a minority language? I've read the former and though I enjoyed it, it's not a "must-read." Plus, with children's books, presumably the market is at maximum one per household as siblings would share (and some children would borrow from a friend or a library.)

How big does a market need to be to justify translating and publishing in a minority language? Are there subsidies? How does it work?

You are not going to find this easy to grasp but they are darn good story tellers. Basically people consume more books because the quality of the stories is higher, which produces better story writers and so an ongoing upward spiral.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In addition to the writers, there must be a flourishing translation industry. What is the economics of getting a 400 page book such as "The Miniaturist" translated into Icelandic and then published?
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure how that is an answer to her question [ETA: Whoops, crosspost!]. The economics problem is a real one--we face it whenever we try to publish something for the Vietnamese speakers, which is a considerably larger group, even in the U.S. alone. It isn't on the face of it cost-efficient to secure rights, pay a translator, do the typesetting, proofread, print, distribute, and market books for this smaller audience. In our case the (very) few books we've managed to do have been paid for by grant funding, subsidized by the money expected to flow in from other more popular books in the series (e.g. the Spanish version), and/or done in a cheaper way (let's use a staple instead of perfectbinding!).

But things are different for us, because all the publishers available to us (bar e-publishing) are also in the English-language market, and much more drawn to that. I would imagine the Icelandic publishers simply charge what they must to purchasers given the size of a print run, and also that the average price is considerably higher than that of the same book in English in the US/etc. If all the books are more expensive across the board, readers are likely to see that as normal--which in their context it is.

[ 28. June 2016, 18:09: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
In addition to the writers, there must be a flourishing translation industry. What is the economics of getting a 400 page book such as "The Miniaturist" translated into Icelandic and then published?

It seems as though mainstream publishers pay $0.10 to $0.20 per word for a translation of something like a novel. So call it $10K - $20K for a typical novel.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it is a situation where maybe a tenth of the population will buy it if they charge £10 per book then you have a situation where they make a substantial profit on that.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
You are not going to find this easy to grasp but they are darn good story tellers. Basically people consume more books because the quality of the stories is higher, which produces better story writers and so an ongoing upward spiral.

Anyone in Scotland (that'll be me and NEQ for starters) and of a literary bent, will be familiar with participating in a linguistic subset such as Lallans or Doric. It will not come as a surprise that nevertheless such traditions can have both richness and vitality.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Looking at the author's name, it is hard not to think of nominative determinism - almost.

LOL! Hadn't thought of that!

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

Anyone in Scotland (that'll be me and NEQ for starters) and of a literary bent, will be familiar with participating in a linguistic subset such as Lallans or Doric. It will not come as a surprise that nevertheless such traditions can have both richness and vitality.
It's one of the markers of the differences between Scotland and England that our linguistic subsets have not persisted past the late 14th century as sources of literature. Shame, that.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I'm not surprised people write books in Icelandic; there as here I'm sure there are authors who write knowing that they are unlikely to make much money out of it. It's the cost of publishing books in translation that intrigues me.

We bought four Arnuldur Indridason crime novels (in English translation) and they cost about £13 each - almost double what we'd pay here. But there is such a splendid selection of books that it seems unlikely that many would be bought by a tenth of the population.

Take "Gangsta Granny" - admittedly much less work to translate. Wiki tells me that Iceland has about 17,000 children who fall within the target age range, with an additional 4,400 children reaching the target age annually. As time goes on, more of the children reaching target age will already have a copy in their home, bought by an older sibling, or handed on from a cousin. Many, perhaps half, won't particularly like David Walliams, and others will like him but be happy to borrow from a library. (We saw several copies in the public library.) ISTM that 5,000 sales would be exceptionally good. Even allowing for the higher cost of books in Iceland, can it be profitable to pay a translator and then publish a book like "Gangsta Granny"?

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

By way of a tangent; in the last month I've been to the theatre for a performance in Doric (with another play in Doric coming up); I've read newspaper columns in Doric, and I've used it in everyday speech, but I have at most ten books in Doric, out of a collection numbering many hundreds and I can't remember the last time I read a whole book in Doric. Pretty much everything published in Doric was written in it; the New Testament is the only adult book I can think of which has been translated into Doric, and I'm sure that was a labour of love rather than a paid commission.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Imagine book buying as people on the ship do was the norm for British culture. I would guess this would up the book sales by several hundred percent.

To match the UK market Iceland would have to sell just over 0.61 books per person per annum.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
By way of a tangent; in the last month I've been to the theatre for a performance in Doric (with another play in Doric coming up); I've read newspaper columns in Doric, and I've used it in everyday speech, but I have at most ten books in Doric, out of a collection numbering many hundreds and I can't remember the last time I read a whole book in Doric. Pretty much everything published in Doric was written in it; the New Testament is the only adult book I can think of which has been translated into Doric, and I'm sure that was a labour of love rather than a paid commission.

Continuing the tangent, how does orthography work in written Doric? Words specific to Doric, or even more generally Scots, would naturally be able to have their own 'secure' spelling (although quine is a case in point which shows that doesn't always apply), but would you write 'Whit like?' Or 'Fit like?'?
And I'm used to the standard diminutive of my own name being written 'Jamie' but said 'Jimmy'

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I wrote a story once, about parasites manipulating us. It was, as you might imagine, a horror story.

May not be far from the truth...with the help of cats... (The Atlantic).

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any Latin speakers out there? How would you translate "You'll never walk alone" into Latin?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Try this:

Cum ambulaveris a tempestate
Tene te ad high,
Et nolite timere tenebras
In fine tempestate
Illic 'a caelo aureae.
Argentum et calamum suave canticum alauda
Et ambulate per spiritus,
Et ambulate per pluviam,
Quamquam vexationem sufflata somnia.
Ambulate spe ambulare in corde tuo
Et ego non solus ambulo,
Numquam solus incedere.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fantastic!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Can we have a link to the English words please? (No, not everybody is equally familiar with the lyrics.)

Ta,

Ariel
Heaven Host

[ 29. June 2016, 17:42: Message edited by: Ariel ]

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Here we go
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Try this:

Cum ambulaveris a tempestate
Tene te ad high,

Erm, shurely shome mishtake.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would suggest the following:

Progrediens per tempestatem,
Exalte caput tuum,
Et noli timere tenebras.
Tempestate finita
Est caelum aurum
Et alauda quasi argentum cantat.
Vade per ventum,
Vade per pluvium,
Cum somnia sint agitata et iactata.
Vade, vade cum spe in corde,
Et numquam vades solus,
Numquam vades solus.

[ 30. June 2016, 13:39: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes.

And I suggest we hand both contestants a laurel wreath apiece, and leave it at that.

Ta/gratias ago.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Shouldn't it be Vadis? As in "Quo Vadis?"

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hopefully we will be moving house in a few weeks and for the first time ever we are using a professional removals company (I usually hire a self drive van and get a few mates to come and help)

Is it the done thing to tip the removal men at the end of the job and, if so, how much?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would definitely tip them, but since U.S. and U.K. tipping standards are so different I won't recommend an amount. Refreshments and/or lunch (depending on the circumstances) are usually provided as well.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Shouldn't it be Vadis? As in "Quo Vadis?"

Actually I should have written "vades" (future tense). "Vadis" is present tense 2nd person singular; "Vadas" is present subjunctive. Miss Amanda could never keep her vowels straight. [Razz]

Now for a really pedantic tangent:

My Spanish professor, knowing that I am a retired Latin teacher, asked me if I knew why the Spanish verb "ir" (to go), which comes from the Latin "ire", is conjugated in the present tense as "voy, vas, va, vamos, van" in Spanish, but as "eo, is, it, imus, itis, eunt" in Latin. She said she didn't know.

It's because "voy, vas, va" is actually from "vadere", not "ire". Apparently in colloquial Latin, "ire" and "vadere" (which actually means "to step forward") were pretty much interchangeable.

[/END OF PEDANTIC TANGENT]

[ 30. June 2016, 13:38: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I would definitely tip them . . . . Refreshments and/or lunch (depending on the circumstances) are usually provided as well.

I've never provided lunch. I've tipped them $20 each (for a local move), and $50 for the driver and $20 for each of his helpers (for a long distance move).

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

When I last moved about 7 years ago I tipped them £10 each, prices have obviously gone up a bit since then.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016